*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Began studying last week, for May 6th. I am taking one class as well along with The Princeton Review online courese. Fingers crossed--looking almost exclusively at DO schools!

Good Luck!

I'm getting on that study grind. Applied last cycle and havent heard from a lot of schools so there's still hope, but its dwindling fast. Time to get ready for yet another MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Non trad here starting to think I need to retake all of my prereqs. I completely bombed the practice questions for the first section of BR gen chem...

I'm a non-trad also, been out of school for close to 4 years now. Nervous and excited about starting my prep in February! Glad to be a part of this thread, we all need a support system :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a non-trad also, been out of school for close to 4 years now. Nervous and excited about starting my prep in February! Glad to be a part of this thread, we all need a support system :)
Glad I'm not the only one! What materials are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Glad I'm not the only one! What materials are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Non trad here starting to think I need to retake all of my prereqs. I completely bombed the practice questions for the first section of BR gen chem...
Don't get down on yourself man. I started real bad the first time around ( old MCAT) and was able to get a 30 on test day. I just need to do a little better hahaha

Can't start with that mindset. Just gotta keep grinding and the results will come!

Reactions: 1 users
I am taking a Kaplan Prep class bc I really need some content review. I'm hoping that the material comes back to me!

I got mad respect for non-trads, there's quite a few at the gym I go to and they work full-time jobs, take classes at night, meanwhile I'm over here re-watching the Sopranos on HBO. Motivates me to be honest.

Maybe as the test date gets closer we can set up an online study session and quiz one another/go over concepts. Maybe on a Sunday or something.

I got mad respect for non-trads, there's quite a few at the gym I go to and they work full-time jobs, take classes at night, meanwhile I'm over here re-watching the Sopranos on HBO. Motivates me to be honest.

Maybe as the test date gets closer we can set up an online study session and quiz one another/go over concepts. Maybe on a Sunday or something.
I think that's a great idea. As this thread gains traction maybe we could set up a study hall type of chat online once every week/2 weeks where we help eachother.

I am not a non trad but also need heavy content review. I'll tell you that it comes back fairly quick. I have my old organic notebook which helps but it seems that organic material covered by the MCAT is like the fundamental stuff.

For those who haven't bought prep books yet: Princeton review books appear more in depth than the Kaplan books for content review but it does not have as many mcat tips/strategy compared to Kaplan.

Same here, do you think we can organize a study group? I mean on fb or google hangout?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Down to clown. I'm social networkly inept, so nose goes on actually making the fb or google hangout group lol

What test prep book(s) are you guys using ? I am using Kaplan for my bio, biochem and orgo. For chemistry And Physics I am using TBR and for psych TPR

What test prep book(s) are you guys using ? I am using Kaplan for my bio, biochem and orgo. For chemistry And Physics I am using TBR and for psych TPR
As someone who has already taken the exam, I'm gonna be using primarily EK for the 2015 MCAT and 1 day a week I'll read the corresponding BR chapters.

Aside from that I'll be studying my weakest subject ( anatomy) using medical school books as well as Khan academy

I've actually decided to go with the EK books for content review and supplement with Kaplan Biochem and social sciences and Khan for social sciences as well. Most of my practice problems will come from BR though. BR is just wayyyyyy too dense for me to use for content review.

Thank you I downloaded them a few days ago. I noticed they are not as lengthy as the Kaplan and TBR so I will def look over them. What practice exams are you guys planning on doing?

Thank you I downloaded them a few days ago. I noticed they are not as lengthy as the Kaplan and TBR so I will def look over them. What practice exams are you guys planning on doing?
That's the tricky thing. I'm gonna be using a slightly modified version of the Next Step 100 day study guide (Its on SDN, if any are interested I can send the link) to include BR books. My only problem is knowing exactly which practice tests I should use. I've heard good things about Kaplan, but they only give all their practice tests if you've purchased their course. I took the course in 2014 so I'm gonna try seeing if I can get access to it again.

2. Change that avatar, it's hideous... GO BLUES!

If you have the Kaplan book they have an online website where you can register your books it comes with three free FL. I am going to do the EK FL exams, the Nextstepprep and the AAMC FL exams. These are the exams I heard are very similar to real thing. Lol Chelsea fan eh?

If you have the Kaplan book they have an online website where you can register your books it comes with three free FL. I am going to do the EK FL exams, the Nextstepprep and the AAMC FL exams. These are the exams I heard are very similar to real thing. Lol Chelsea fan eh?
Smart! I'm gonna try getting the rest of the kaplan exams

If you buy the book set do you automatically get the EK exams?

and Yes, Chelsea fan!

Yh AAMC has a bundle for 188 it includes all the study packs and exams
Yea, I'm for sure going with anything the AAMC has since that should be the closest representation to the actual exam.Wow, study material is expensive as all hell lol

I postponed the date from Jan 23 to May 6, so count me in. I think I'll hit the prep books for content review before even touching the AAMC practice tests.

Welcome @Garurumon glad to have you on board. So what type of study techniques / schedule are you guys using?
I'll do 1 chapter of 2 differnent subjects a day by just really diving in and reading them. I then do all the problems the next day with a clear mind. Thats basically it 5 days of the week. Day 6 I'll re-read all the chapters but in a different test prep book and I'll rest day 7

I'm doing May 6th as well. Primarily going to be using Kaplan and Khan Academy for content review. I've bought the AAMC bundle. Does anyone have suggestions on other FL tests that I should get?

I'll do 1 chapter of 2 differnent subjects a day by just really diving in and reading them. I then do all the problems the next day with a clear mind. Thats basically it 5 days of the week. Day 6 I'll re-read all the chapters but in a different test prep book and I'll rest day 7

I do a chapter a day Sun-Tue because that's when I work and Wed-Fri I do 2-3 chapters then Saturday is review and practice

I'm doing May 6th as well. Primarily going to be using Kaplan and Khan Academy for content review. I've bought the AAMC bundle. Does anyone have suggestions on other FL tests that I should get?

I heard a lot of good things about EK so I am going to get those with the Nextstepprep and also AAMC

I do a chapter a day Sun-Tue because that's when I work and Wed-Fri I do 2-3 chapters then Saturday is review and practice
Sounds like a plan!

I'm really excited for this thread. Hope we can all help each other out

Not sure if i'm missing something here, but it seems if you add all of the components of the bundle except for the Official Guide it comes up as $187. If you add everything individually and leave out the guide, you also don't have to pay the $25-30 shipping fee. Does anyone know if there's any benefit to buying the Official Guide?

Not sure if i'm missing something here, but it seems if you add all of the components of the bundle except for the Official Guide it comes up as $187. If you add everything individually and leave out the guide, you also don't have to pay the $25-30 shipping fee. Does anyone know if there's any benefit to buying the Official Guide?

The Guide includes 30 questions in total. These questions include passages from all sections on the mcat split somewhat equally.

The Guide includes 30 questions in total. These questions include passages from all sections on the mcat split somewhat equally.
I think those are included in the Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT® Exam, Fourth Edition, which only costs $10 and is in practice test form. I'm not entirely sure though. If they're the same questions then i think buying everything minus the guide is a better deal since you won't have to pay the extra $25 for shipping.

I think those are included in the Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam, Fourth Edition, which only costs $10 and is in practice test form. I'm not entirely sure though. If they're the same questions then i think buying everything minus the guide is a better deal since you won't have to pay the extra $25 for shipping.

Yh I got only the questions I didn't buy the whole book because I have a previous version and all it includes examinee information

Yh I got only the questions I didn't buy the whole book because I have a previous version and all it includes examinee information
I can't let this Chelsea victory pass up with my newfound friend form SND. How does the loss feel man?

I'm also open to anyone PMing me about applying to med school. I applied this current cycle and I'm still awaiting news, but I hope I can spread some knowledge and tips as to what I could've done better to others!

I can't let this Chelsea victory pass up with my newfound friend form SND. How does the loss feel man?

Meh just a minor set back I think you should be more worried at the fact that even with ten men we still made the whole Chelsea squad look like kids. Unfortunate game for us today but we shall bounce back. Btw Chelsea is taking that Big L against Watford next week

I keep getting around 50 percent on my diagnostic exams. Stupid question: if a person gets 50% right throughout the MCAT that does not mean it would translate to a 50th percentile right? Like I don't know if the expectation is that many people miss lots of questions on the mcat, but it is by percentile so missing 20 or so out of 59 questions may not mean you f'd up as bad.....

I keep getting around 50 percent on my diagnostic exams. Stupid question: if a person gets 50% right throughout the MCAT that does not mean it would translate to a 50th percentile right? Like I don't know if the expectation is that many people miss lots of questions on the mcat, but it is by percentile so missing 20 or so out of 59 questions may not mean you f'd up as bad.....

It is your score against others that determines your percentile rank. Missing 20 or so can go both ways if
Eg if 50 percent of the other examinee score 39/59 that means you and those people would fall somewhere around the 50th percentile. Let's say you edge them a bit and score 49/59 And your buddy scores 50/59 assuming both scores are the top two highest scores you and your buddy both fall in the 99th percentile. The scaled score in most test books give you a general of where your score is likely to fall based on the number of correct answers but like I said if the highest score in the exam received is a 50/59 the scale for everyone that took that exam would be dependent on that one score. This is just my guess on how it works