The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Scored 7PS/9VR/10BS
That 7 is scaring me. Considering both DO and MD. CGPA 3.56 SGPA 3.44
I feel like I am very average for both DO and MD in terms of scores and gpa.

Totally, I've been having my fits of weeping all day because of my 5 in VR... If I had 3 more points I would be so happy
I wish I could give you 3 of my points. Not because my score is good and I could spare it but because I know the pain all too well and I can't wish that upon anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
sorry for the repost. looking for advice.
Scored 11PS/10VR/11BS
Have a 3.3 uGPA but a 4.0 at a postbacc. URM. Didn't take any science courses in undergrad since I was a political science major. Don't really know how med schools will look at this. Would you suggest a retake for MD?
Depends on the quality of post-bac. Number of credits, formalized vs not formalized. What URM and what state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so happy to see so many of you did so well. I have been praying for all of you since Jan. 10. I am proud of everyone for studying so hard even if you didn't get the score that was needed this time around. I have been a little bummed about not scoring my exam, but I know everything happens for a reason no matter how cliche that sounds.
For those of you who did well-- congrats! It makes my heart happy.

For those of you who need to retake-- it is okay. It may seem like your world is in a million different pieces, but everything will work out. One day we'll all look back at these days and laugh at how hard we were on ourselves. We are all going to make it. If you want it bad enough it will happen! I'm beginning to study for the new MCAT while in school right now and if any of you need a motivational buddy-- I'm here to study with you!!

Why are you bummed about not scoring your exam? If anything, this thread and the Jan 8th thread are reassuring in that you will score near your average, especially if you are in the low-mid 20s on practice exams. I am so glad I voided my exam, not only do I not have a mark on my permanent record that would cause doubt by adcoms, but it also allows the opportunity to take the new exam one time which has so much unpredictability associated with it that the other parts of the application will likely be weighted more heavily. I think voiding an exam of this magnitude when you know you are not ready shows maturity. Don't be bummed about that at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you bummed about not scoring your exam? If anything, this thread and the Jan 8th thread are reassuring in that you will score near your average, especially if you are in the low-mid 20s on practice exams. I am so glad I voided my exam, not only do I not have a mark on my permanent record that would cause doubt by adcoms, but it also allows the opportunity to take the new exam one time which has so much unpredictability associated with it that the other parts of the application will likely be weighted more heavily. I think voiding an exam of this magnitude when you know you are not ready shows maturity. Don't be bummed about that at all.
Could you please comment more on how the new exam won't be weighed quite as heavily? I have my old MCAT score and it's not too bad but barely average. Do you think an improvement on the new exam won't "count" as much?

Could you please comment more on how the new exam won't be weighed quite as heavily? I have my old MCAT score and it's not too bad but barely average. Do you think an improvement on the new exam won't "count" as much?

A bell curve is a bell curve. Medical schools don't care how many questions you got right, or even how much knowledge you have. All they care about is how you performed relative to everybody else that took the exam.

Both exams will be weighted equally as they'll be looking at percentiles. Someone that scores in the 80th percentile range will likely do so on either exam.

The only difference may be a lower percentage correct might translate to a higher percentile due to lack of study material on the new exam.

sorry for the repost. looking for advice.
Scored 11PS/10VR/11BS
Have a 3.3 uGPA but a 4.0 at a postbacc. URM. Didn't take any science courses in undergrad since I was a political science major. Don't really know how med schools will look at this. Would you suggest a retake for MD?
I wouldn't retake. Get those prereqs done soon so your mcat doesn't expire
Edit: typo

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I'm taking my last two courses this semester and applying this upcoming cycle. The only thing I'm worried about is I have no DO shadowing. Is that something I should be doing between now and when applications open so I could also apply to DO schools? My other EC's are pretty solid: Research Assistant at a Physio Lab, Volunteer at Free Clinic, Outreach Program worker (help low-income families get health insurance), tutoring, shadowing MD's and PA's. Nothing spectacular but I don't think it is lacking.

Can someone comment on when most DO school application cycles open?

Members don't see this ad :)
First generation Mexican-American and CA. Any other advice would be helpful. I'm also open to DO practice so I am hoping these scores are competitive.
I am not from Cali but I heard that Cali loves its instate students. I don't think your poli sci undergrad will factor in. For a non-science GPA, that's fine. If your science GPA remains a 4.0 and demonstrates rigor, you are pretty much set. Apply broadly, keep up the good work and you'll have your MD.

I am not from Cali but I heard that Cali loves its instate students. I don't think your poli sci undergrad will factor in. For a non-science GPA, that's fine. If your science GPA remains a 4.0 and demonstrates rigor, you are pretty much set. Apply broadly, keep up the good work and you'll have your MD.
On a side note, if you do decide to retake, I think your poli sci background will help you tremendously.

Hey everyone, congrats on making through this round of the mcat!
AAMC average: 27
Exoected: 25-30
Actual: 28
My two cents is that AAMC average is very indicative of your actual score, especially if it's 32 or lower. Higher scores are more variable because 2 or 3 questions can be the difference in a few points. I'm applying DO, so I'm content with my score. As long as I apply to 10+ schools I'll get in somewhere...after all. THE GOAL IS TO BECOME A DOCTOR, NOT GRADUATE FROM A PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL! I've seen doctors from ivy leagues and the Caribbean work side by side. Are some schools better than others? Absolutely. But, I'm pretty sure I'm the main limiting factor in my success and not whatever school I go to.

Last edited:
Its just my guess because the confidence on the test score has to be lower since there is no data to compare it against whereas the old exam has years of data that help adcoms indicate likelihood of success is medical school.

A bell curve is a bell curve. Medical schools don't care how many questions you got right, or even how much knowledge you have. All they care about is how you performed relative to everybody else that took the exam.

Both exams will be weighted equally as they'll be looking at percentiles. Someone that scores in the 80th percentile range will likely do so on either exam.

The only difference may be a lower percentage correct might translate to a higher percentile due to lack of study material on the new exam.

I agree with you, however, there is something to be said for the fact that the aamc has explicitly stated it is not possible to compare test scores on old mcat vs new mcat and therefore, there is no way adcoms can be entirely confident with what the new mcat score really means considering there has not been years of data to support its correlation with success in medical school whereas the old mcat has so many years of information, the confidence on which an adcom likely can predict success is much larger.

I read on the AAMC website that adcoms will be putting more weight on EC's because they don't have as much experience with the new MCAT.

Test date: 1/10/2015
Time: 1 pm
AAMC average: 33
AAMC 10-11 average: 34
Post test expected score: 35 (13/11/11)
Actual score: 32 (11/10/11)

I took my last aamc about 1.5 weeks before the exam. I studied a lot for bs in the last week because I was always scoring a 10 on BS. I got that up to 11 which was expected. However I was getting 11s on almost all the VR practice tests I did, and my last two PS scores averaged to 13. I really wasn't expecting this. I was only scoring 32's on my first 2 practice tests. I'm really not sure what to do now, I was hoping to do an MD/PhD or an MD at a top tier, but now I don't think I can get into a good program. I'm considering taking a gap year to do research or something, or just getting a PhD instead. I don't know what to do now.

I took my last aamc about 1.5 weeks before the exam. I studied a lot for bs in the last week because I was always scoring a 10 on BS. I got that up to 11 which was expected. However I was getting 11s on almost all the VR practice tests I did, and my last two PS scores averaged to 13. I really wasn't expecting this. I was only scoring 32's on my first 2 practice tests. I'm really not sure what to do now, I was hoping to do an MD/PhD or an MD at a top tier, but now I don't think I can get into a good program. I'm considering taking a gap year to do research or something, or just getting a PhD instead. I don't know what to do now.
Hey,
The last two sentences caught my eye and I just wanted to comment because this hits close to home. I had one bad year in college due to family issues and that ruined my GPA. Thinking that I could never get into an MD/PhD program, I applied to PhD programs. I've been regretting it ever since. Now I am right back where I started. I'm four years out from undergrad, six years from the last pre-med class, I am working on my thesis and I'm supposed to be essentially re-learning all the content in the evenings. Imagine 60 hour weeks followed by studying... I took the MCAT and I'm going to have to retake.
Please just try to apply. If you are truly unhappy with your score, retake the new exam. It's a daunting task but I swear it's worth it. It's worth not going through what I'm going through right now. Also, I know lots of people take a year off and that's a great idea to enhance your application. In particular if you do research, it will help with MSTP programs. Just beware of one year turning into two. I've witnessed that so many times.
Best of luck. Please just try. Don't give up.

Reactions: 2 users
First thing I did when I woke up this morning was check if I really got a 5 in VR, life kinda sucks right now...
I woke up and continued wishing that this is all just a nightmare.
Keep up your spirit. I don't know what your work and life situation is, but just the to find an hour a day to study consistently and retake.

I read on the AAMC website that adcoms will be putting more weight on EC's because they don't have as much experience with the new MCAT.
Well I'm screwed I suppose. Even if I improve on the new MCAT I feel like they won't know what to do with the information.

I'm taking 5 years for undergrad finishing this spring in biomed engineering. I was going to apply this May but by the looks of things I might have to apply next year. Does that count as 1 gap year or 2?

Well I'm screwed I suppose. Even if I improve on the new MCAT I feel like they won't know what to do with the information.
Thanks actually a good thing because EC's are fixable, you're not going to be in a tough spot. What's tough is when you parents think the MCAT is a bigger task than you do lol, life can get nightmare-ish...

I had to guess on literally every o-chem question, and I got a 10 in BS. But I felt positive that I was putting the correct answer for each Bio question, so I expected like a 12-13. Could guessing on each O-chem question bring me down that much?

Thanks actually a good thing because EC's are fixable, you're not going to be in a tough spot. What's tough is when you parents think the MCAT is a bigger task than you do lol, life can get nightmare-ish...
I can empathize. Except for me, it's the opposite. Parent having an 18th century mindset and saying med school isn't important and babies are more important (I'm a female and I wouldn't be done with residency until 33-34, so "clearly" that's too old to have babies).

I wouldn't be too upset, you scored really close to your average so it depends. I got a 32 on my first test, and I was able to raise it to a 35 because I totally bombed the bio section (compared to my practice's) on my first exam. Was there one particular section you thought went really bad compared to normal?

I had to guess on literally every o-chem question, and I got a 10 in BS. But I felt positive that I was putting the correct answer for each Bio question, so I expected like a 12-13. Could guessing on each O-chem question bring me down that much?

I know I got 2 of the Orgo questions wrong, but felt like I got all of the Bio MC right as well. Was expecting a 13-14 but got an 11. Must've been a tough scale, don't sweat it.

Hello all,

Congratulation to all of you who got the score they wanted. I am happy for you and for those who didn't meet their goals, don't sweat it too much. It's a little bump in your long career and I am sure with little bit of effort you will make it through just fine.

I am 28 years old with a master in chemistry some phd work and 5 years of pharmaceutical and clinical work. After almost 6 years out of school I wanted to go medical school so I had 1 month study period for the January 23 test date. I studied 18 hours a day no sleep at all i even had to quit my job and focus on my study. I had no income coming in but I managed to do it and sit for the mcat. Just being there made me proud of what I accomplished in one month period. On the other hand I did not take any of the aamc practice. I strictly followed Berkeley for the sciences Princeton for English.

The day of the exam I was not nervous. I got to the testing center with one goal in mind which was to do well and get 30 or above.

timing was my only issue but I managed to do all of it. Had to guess on one passage for each section it was blind guessing since I had no time to read the passage. I blamed this on not being able to practice as much.

I got out with a mixed feeling. I recall all the questions from each section and I checked most of them and look like I got them all right.

Now my question to those who reported their score. Did you have a bad feeling about it after you got out. Was your feeling accurate and did it reflect on your actual score. Has anyone felt like they did badly but atill ended up with a score they didn't expect ?

I would appreciate your input as I am very anxious and can't wait to see my score.

Thank you

Hello @Mcatspirit, I think most people scored right around their average and generally felt like they performed well under their average. There were a few people who were right on target with their guesses, but many people (myself included) predicted scores well under their actual. So I guess yes, many people felt bad and did well still.

I would expect to score +/- 2 from your AAMC average.

Long time lurker here. Thought I did absolutely horribly because the physics section killed me, but ended up doing close to my average. Disappointed with verbal, thought I really did well on it and was hoping for at least an 11. Kinda surprised my BS and PS scores were the same considering I felt terrible about PS and I felt ok about BS. Relieved I didn't completely bomb it, but still kinda sad that I didn't do better. Though it was expected with the terrible job I did with studying. Planning to actually follow a study plan and take the new MCAT this summer before I apply.

Test date: January 10, 2015
Time: 1 PM
AAMC Average: No idea lol
AAMC 10-11 Average: 28
Post-Test expected: 28 (8PS/11VR/9BS)
Actual score: 26 (8PS/10VR/8BS)

Long time lurker here:

AAMC average: 33.3
AAMC 10-11 average: 33 (12, 10, 11)
Post test expected score: Was thinking 33-34
Actual score: 33 (12 PS/10VR/11BS)

Only studied for a month over break so pretty damn happy about the score (except for bio :(). With a 3.9 GPA from a top 40 school, what do you think the chances are at a top 20 med school?

Your MCAT score is in the bottom 10 percent your GPA is right around the average (for the top 20 schools that is). If there are no red flags in the rest of your application than I would say you have a shot at every school on there. But my advice is that you should not attend a medical school based on ranking alone. You must take into consideration that the place you attend could be your home for the next 4 years or more. Pick a place that you would be comfortable to call home for the next 4 or more years. With your stats you should be able to get into a couple of schools pick wisely my friend.

Thanks so much @serenitynow11 I appreciate your input. I'm definitely looking into a retake.. Just need to think this through and determine how much time I'd need to get ready for the new test... sigh.

Did you mean apply early to DO schools only? Are low-tier MD schools out of question with a 25?
I'm not sure about MD schools with a 25. I only applied to a couple MDs here in NJ. But definitely apply early to D.O, get that personal statement ready early. That will benefit you in a tremendous way. App opens in May

For those of you who scored a 11 on ps and bs and a 9 or 10 for vb do you mind telling me the percentile ranges for those score pleases.

I took this test on the 23rd. My average was a 28. After I probably get a 21 or 22 i'm going to jump off a skyscraper probs

No, I know many students who have are in medical school right now that have gotten a score of 8 in verbal. It is not an automatic rejection.
Thanks for that, I am just so depressed about the 8 in verbal. I don't know what happened... I usually scored around 10-11... Hoping that they see that English is not my first language and don't put that much weight on it!

Thanks for that, I am just so depressed about the 8 in verbal. I don't know what happened... I usually scored around 10-11... Hoping that they see that English is not my first language and don't put that much weight on it!

Yeah on the AAMC I took as a diagnostic nearly 9 months ago I got a 10 and only ever scored 10's and 11's and then I got a 9 on test day. It happens. We'll live.

I took this test on the 23rd. My average was a 28. After I probably get a 21 or 22 i'm going to jump off a skyscraper probs

Please be joking. The MCAT is just an exam. I am sure you know that! But please know there are people who care about you even if you don't feel like it. It's just a single exam. Please call

1 (800) 273-8255

if you need help, which is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available 24/7. I know it may seem like a stupid number to call, but it's a first step and there will be qualified people to help no matter what the issue. When scores come out, it's stressful, and it's nice to have anybody to talk to. http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Edit: You could be joking entirely, but don't want to take the chance :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Please be joking. The MCAT is just an exam. I am sure you know that! But please know there are people who care about you even if you don't feel like it. It's just a single exam. Please call

1 (800) 273-8255

if you need help, which is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available 24/7. I know it may seem like a stupid number to call, but it's a first step and there will be qualified people to help no matter what the issue. When scores come out, it's stressful, and it's nice to have anybody to talk to. http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Edit: You could be joking entirely, but don't want to take the chance :)

Thanks for this. I thought I was the only one that felt extremely uncomfortable about that post.

Hi guys, i'm new to this, but i got my score too. PS 13 VR 7 BS 11. I'm at a top twenty university with loads of research, publications, and high 3.7 gpa and bpcm. Would it be impossible for me to apply to a top tiered med school? would i even be considered with my verbal score? thx!

I've been lurking this thread since the 10th, thought I'd post.

AAMC average: Took no practice tests
AAMC 10-11 average: ditto
Post test expected score: Was thinking 24-28
Actual score: 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)

I was pretty unprepared for the test, I did some gen chem/bio review, but did no practice other than trying a few sections of the free AAMC test.
My bcpmGPA is 3.83 and my overall GPA is I think 3.52 (finished undergrad). Is this good enough for DO schools and some "lower-tier" MD?

Dude you are fine. I don't know what other ppl like engineeringnerd is talking about... I've spoken to adcoms and postbacc adcoms as well and with your stats - you have a good chance of getting into medical school. I feel like sdn is so harsh and not even realistic in giving people advice because people with 26 or 27 still get in. Your sgpa sounds phenomenal!!! People can be such dicks and so discouraging. Your stats are so much better than for DO. Don't even listen to people who are telling you otherwise. Numbers do count and would get you in for the primaries but honestly it also depends how you are holistically!!! And they emphasize that so much in this coming cycle and that is why the exam has gone through such drastic changes so please, you are fine!!!!! More than fine. Good luck in all your endeavors. And I've seen a lot of assh*les posting that he/she's gotten a 40 on practice tests and I just saw someone post how this one person who's been getting around 40s in all the practice test got a 31 on the actual one... I sometimes don't know what to believe in this forum because I feel like some people are half making **** up to make other people feel bad. Excuse my language but honestly, sdn is often times very discouraging!

Dude you are fine. I don't know what other ppl like engineeringnerd is talking about... I've spoken to adcoms and postbacc adcoms as well and with your stats - you have a good chance of getting into medical school. I feel like sdn is so harsh and not even realistic in giving people advice because people with 26 or 27 still get in. Your sgpa sounds phenomenal!!! People can be such dicks and so discouraging. Your stats are so much better than for DO. Don't even listen to people who are telling you otherwise. Numbers do count and would get you in for the primaries but honestly it also depends how you are holistically!!! And they emphasize that so much in this coming cycle and that is why the exam has gone through such drastic changes so please, you are fine!!!!! More than fine. Good luck in all your endeavors. And I've seen a lot of assh*les posting that he/she's gotten a 40 on practice tests and I just saw someone post how this one person who's been getting around 40s in all the practice test got a 31 on the actual one... I sometimes don't know what to believe in this forum because I feel like some people are half making **** up to make other people feel bad. Excuse my language but honestly, sdn is often times very discouraging!

Also to add, as you probably know it largely depends on which schools in you are applying to. Do research and apply to your state schools that like in-state students and are lenient and also schools out of your state that like to see out-of-state students. I initially was thinking - in my stupid mind that a school out in the boonies would accept any students but they actually accept mostly in-state and the stats were like 3.1 with 25 for their in-state applicants. If you are a california resident and want to go to California schools then you might be screwed (but then your sgpa is high so I would even try if you are - say a Californian). Aaaaaanyways. Stop listening to bullsh*tters and go to medical school conferences, talk to people who's gotten in instead of a lot of prudes here.

Hi guys, i'm new to this, but i got my score too. PS 13 VR 7 BS 11. I'm at a top twenty university with loads of research, publications, and high 3.7 gpa and bpcm. Would it be impossible for me to apply to a top tiered med school? would i even be considered with my verbal score? thx!
top tier, no
but maybe a state school
A doctor's still a doctor, are they not?

I've been lurking this thread since the 10th, thought I'd post.

AAMC average: Took no practice tests
AAMC 10-11 average: ditto
Post test expected score: Was thinking 24-28
Actual score: 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)

I was pretty unprepared for the test, I did some gen chem/bio review, but did no practice other than trying a few sections of the free AAMC test.
My bcpmGPA is 3.83 and my overall GPA is I think 3.52 (finished undergrad). Is this good enough for DO schools and some "lower-tier" MD?
Also to add, as you probably know it largely depends on which schools in you are applying to. Do research and apply to your state schools that like in-state students and are lenient and also schools out of your state that like to see out-of-state students. I initially was thinking - in my stupid mind that a school out in the boonies would accept any students but they actually accept mostly in-state and the stats were like 3.1 with 25 for their in-state applicants (obviously this is the case for like a few states and may be an extreme example). If you are a california resident and want to go to California schools then you might be screwed (but then your sgpa is high so I would even try if you are - say a Californian). Aaaaaanyways. Stop listening to bullsh*tters and go to medical school conferences, talk to people who's gotten in instead of a lot of prudes here.

Well I got a 31 overall, 12 in Bio, 10 in Physics, and 9 in verbal :/

I got a 26 when I first took it in August.

I felt so much better about this one doing it, I expected to get at least a 34 with an 11 in verbal..... Which, as a Canadian, is more or less needed.

I feel so worthless right now, I've pretty much knocked myself out of being to apply in Canada. :(

Well I got a 31 overall, 12 in Bio, 10 in Physics, and 9 in verbal :/

I got a 26 when I first took it in August.

I felt so much better about this one doing it, I expected to get at least a 34 with an 11 in verbal..... Which, as a Canadian, is more or less needed.

I feel so worthless right now, I've pretty much knocked myself out of being to apply in Canada. :(
u of t? or if you're not from ON maybe you're IP school?
I get the vr struggle, second attempt for the 11 and I got another 10