The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

It's balanced, so that's good. I'd say go D.O. Give it a shot for next cycle and apply early and retake as well. I retook my 25 to make up for a 7 in bio and am glad I did.
Thanks so much @serenitynow11 I appreciate your input. I'm definitely looking into a retake.. Just need to think this through and determine how much time I'd need to get ready for the new test... sigh.

Did you mean apply early to DO schools only? Are low-tier MD schools out of question with a 25?

Average AAMC practice: 22
Actual: I got a freaking 26! (9/9/8)!

To most of you on this forum, this would definitely mean a retake. For me, it is a HUGE WIN. I scored my best AAMC score on the actual exam (and a balanced score at that). I also have pretty bad ADD but didn't apply for accommodations because I hear that med schools see that on their score report and don't look at it favorably. I studied as a full time graduate student in a super strong MPH program in Epidemiology---aka the death of my social life. It's been about 5 years since my pre-med courses, too, and I basically had to teach everything to myself on top of advanced biostatistics.

Do you all think I'll be competitive (and where?) for 2016 applying opening day and broadly for DO programs?
Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Graduate GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.34
MCAT: 26 (9/9/8)

I have a letter of rec from a DO who is on the faculty at RowanSOM, and I'm in-state there. I'll also have a few publications under my belt and my MPH. I have decent EC as well, and have done research abroad, all a common thread of health disparities related work.

Please just tell me I don't have to retake the new 2015 MCAT....I just can't even imagine having to teach myself biochem and psych.
Also HUGE thanks to everyone on this forum for being such a big part of my making it through this last month of hell. You all kicked ass on the exam and I'm really happy for you no matter what!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

To most of you on this forum, this would definitely mean a retake. For me, it is a HUGE WIN. I scored my best AAMC score on the actual exam (and a balanced score at that). I also have pretty bad ADD but didn't apply for accommodations because I hear that med schools see that on their score report and don't look at it favorably. I studied as a full time graduate student in a super strong MPH program in Epidemiology---aka the death of my social life. It's been about 5 years since my pre-med courses, too, and I basically had to teach everything to myself on top of advanced biostatistics.

Do you all think I'll be competitive (and where?) for 2016 applying opening day and broadly for DO programs?

I have a letter of rec from a DO who is on the faculty at RowanSOM, and I'm in-state there. I'll also have a few publications under my belt and my MPH. I have decent EC as well, and have done research abroad, all a common thread of health disparities related work.

Please just tell me I don't have to retake the new 2015 MCAT....I just can't even imagine having to teach myself biochem and psych.
Also HUGE thanks to everyone on this forum for being such a big part of my making it through this last month of hell. You all kicked ass on the exam and I'm really happy for you no matter what!

You will be competitive at just about any DO school that you apply to. Apply broadly, maintain confidence during your interviews, and you will become a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
hello guys so the first time i took the mcat i got a 22. 7/6/9 and thats in order of ps/vb/bs.
AAMC avg 27.5
post expected score 26-30
Actual score 28: 10/8/10 : ps/vb/bs
was really hoping for a 30 ...
As a URM what are my chances considering that i took all of my pre-req at a community college expect organic chemisty 1&2 and by the i got A's for all my pre-req including organic chemsitry 1 & 2. i will love to get some feed back.

Congrats!! That's awesome news as you scored well above your average and given your situation.

I'm 10+ years removed from first year predmed classes and never taken physics except in high school...I taught myself everything for this exam while on maternity leave and also being a full time mom to 4 year old. It was tough to say the least but I managed to bring my PS mark from a 5 to something between a 9-10. I just hope I can pull something close on my actual mcat (jan13 writer here). You give me hope!! Thanks

And congrats again and best wishes in your application!

Reactions: 1 users
Second time retaking it, only improved by one point but i did improve by two points in verbal, down a point in PS :'( ? Really disappointed. How bad is a 27 MCAT score? 8VR,10PS,9BS low tier MD?

AAMC average: 31-32
AAMC 10-11 average: 32 (10/11/11)
Post test expected score: 31 (9/11/11)
Actual score: 30 (9/11/10)

:( I'm super disappointed right now, feeling kinda ****ty. I'm grateful to have not gotten below 30, but I mostly just feel dumb. I really was hoping for a 31 or 32. I just can't shake this ominous feeling that 30 isn't/won't be good enough. I'm a URM, which may help, but I also have a pretty low GPA, so was hoping to offset it a little with a better score (I'm applying to both MD and DO, schools, but probably only really have a chance with DO). And while I really, really, reallyyyy don't want the take the 2015 version, I just wonder if a 30 is going to be enough. I kinda hate that my score is so in the middle of being good or bad: it makes it a really difficult decision for me to either keep it or retake. Poop.

EDIT: Hi, just wanted to clarify quickly that when I say I feel "dumb", I'm just describing how ****ty I'm feeling. I'm in no way implying that anybody with a score less than that isn't smart, or that only people with scores above 30 are. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Just curious, did anyone run out of time on verbal and still do well? Above a 7 at least?

I did run out of time on verbal. I couldn't get through 2 whole passages (the huge one on acid rain and the one on japanese-chinese writing) so I desperately skimmed them and just ended up guessing on each question b/c I couldn't take it in that fast, and I got an 8 on the VR.

how's the rest of your app?
Thanks for replying,
Outside of my MCat i have a decent application. I am currently a junior and my cumulative GPA is a 3.75 but if you disregard my horrible freshman year(came from a horrible high school) i have a GPA of 3.90 as a chemistry major (ACS certified), Biology minor. I also have 1 publication in the chemistry field which i am a key contributor of and another should be coming before my application. I am the President of a successful organization on campus and on the E-board of 4 others. I also work as a TA and as an orientation leader. I have good relationships with many of my professors so my letters of rec should be good. As part of my pre-med fraternity, i have logged many volunteer opportunities and shadowed multiple doctors. I come from a poor area/family and born in a foreign country. I'm very approachable so i think my interviews should go fine.

I did run out of time on verbal. I couldn't get through 2 whole passages (the huge one on acid rain and the one on japanese-chinese writing) so I desperately skimmed them and just ended up guessing on each question b/c I couldn't take it in that fast, and I got an 8 on the VR.

You just have given me some hope!! That's great considering you left 2 passages....I can't even remember but I'm sure I left half of one passage and a few questions from another one....I had a terrible one on air planes and wing span lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test date: 1/10/2015
Time: 1 pm
AAMC average: 31
AAMC 10-11 average: 32.5
Post test expected score: 27-29
Actual score: 30 (11/9/10)

After receiving a 28 the first time around in August 2014, I can finally feel relief. This was my last shot at getting a decent score to attend a medical school in my state. I have a good GPA ~3.9 and plan on applying Early Decision. It has been a wild ride and I am so unbelievably happy that it is over.

You just have me some hope!! That's great considering you left 2 passages....I can't even remember but I'm sure I left half of one passage and a few questions from another one....I had a terrible one on air planes and wing span lol.

Yeah, I spent way too much time thinking about the questions in a Shakespeare passage without looking at the timer and kind of screwed myself, I remember sitting there sweating as I was trying to get through the last two passages.

I got a 26 (11/5/10)... Biomedical engineering with a 3.75. I also am doing research, volunteering, and shadowing

What do you all think my chances are?

AAMC average: 31
AAMC 10-11 average: 32.5
Post test expected score: 27-29
Actual score: 30 (11/9/10)

After receiving a 28 the first time around in August 2014, I can finally feel relief. This was my last shot at getting a decent score to attend a medical school in my state. I have a good GPA ~3.9 and plan on applying Early Decision. It has been a wild ride and I am so unbelievably happy that it is over.
I love hearing these stories lol
congrats!

I got a 26 (11/5/10)... Biomedical engineering with a 3.75. I also am doing research, volunteering, and shadowing

It seems like that would be good for most DO schools, based on the stats I've seen. I don't know about MD. Interested in hearing the answer though b/c I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks for replying,
Outside of my MCat i have a decent application. I am currently a junior and my cumulative GPA is a 3.75 but if you disregard my horrible freshman year(came from a horrible high school) i have a GPA of 3.90 as a chemistry major (ACS certified), Biology minor. I also have 1 publication in the chemistry field which i am a key contributor of and another should be coming before my application. I am the President of a successful organization on campus and on the E-board of 4 others. I also work as a TA and as an orientation leader. I have good relationships with many of my professors so my letters of rec should be good. As part of my pre-med fraternity, i have logged many volunteer opportunities and shadowed multiple doctors. I come from a poor area/family and born in a foreign country. I'm very approachable so i think my interviews should go fine.
Shoot. Your ECs and GPA are great. Looks like MCAT is the only thing holding you back from mid-tier schools. Unfortunately, unless you are URM, I think you should retake before applying.

I think the 5 will keep you out. Take a year and really work hard on VR. That would open so many doors for you.

EDIT: How did you study for VR?

New poster here. This really should have been set up with people taking a screen shot of their score. I am part of another forum, and when we did this we realized peoples scores suddenly seemed to change. A score can easily be screenshot in such a way as no information about the person is shown.

I'm reposting this to get some input, forgive me:

AAMC average: Took no practice tests
AAMC 10-11 average: ditto
Post test expected score: Was thinking 24-28
Actual score: 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)

I was pretty unprepared for the test, I did some gen chem/bio review, but did no practice other than trying a few sections of the free AAMC test.
My bcpmGPA is 3.83 and my overall GPA is I think 3.52 (finished undergrad). Is this good enough for DO schools and some "lower-tier" MD?

There you go for the guy above:
Capture.PNG

I'm reposting this to get some input, forgive me:

AAMC average: Took no practice tests
AAMC 10-11 average: ditto
Post test expected score: Was thinking 24-28
Actual score: 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)

I was pretty unprepared for the test, I did some gen chem/bio review, but did no practice other than trying a few sections of the free AAMC test.
My bcpmGPA is 3.83 and my overall GPA is I think 3.52 (finished undergrad). Is this good enough for DO schools and some "lower-tier" MD?

There you go for the guy above:
View attachment 189294
You look great for DO but from what it looks like, with more studying you would be golden. You have plenty of potential the way I see it but it doesn't hurt to apply.

Long time lurker here:

AAMC average: 33.3
AAMC 10-11 average: 33 (12, 10, 11)
Post test expected score: Was thinking 33-34
Actual score: 33 (12 PS/10VR/11BS)

Only studied for a month over break so pretty damn happy about the score (except for bio :(). With a 3.9 GPA from a top 40 school, what do you think the chances are at a top 20 med school?

Your application will get looked at anywhere you apply to. The remainder of your application will determine the rest.

AAMC average: 25
AAMC 10-11 average: 28
Post test expected score: 22 (5/9/8)
Actual score: 27 (10/9/8)

First off, thank you guys and gals for having this thread. It really helped having everyone going through the same thing as me. I am beyond siked with my score given that I wanted a 24+ . I scored right around my states MD school average!
I've seen a lot of your posts and similar to me, you've been interested in DO primarily....major congrats on your score!! lol expected 5 PS --> actual 10.

Shoot. Your ECs and GPA are great. Looks like MCAT is the only thing holding you back from mid-tier schools. Unfortunately, unless you are URM, I think you should retake before applying.
I was born in the middle east. Is that applicable for URM? The biochem course i took was not taught well enough (first time professor) for me to take the new MCat.

I had a 12/6/12 this cycle (the 6 in verbal) with a 4.0 cumulative GPA, great recommendations, shadowing, volunteering, and research and I didn't even get an interview from any of the schools I applied to - most of which were low-mid tier MD schools. I haven't checked my retake score yet, but I'm hoping for a 9+ in verbal. You really need a 9+ in verbal just to get your application looked at IMO, unless you have some amazing story or if you're American Indian, lol.

I had a 12/6/12 this cycle (the 6 in verbal) with a 4.0 cumulative GPA, great recommendations, shadowing, volunteering, and research and I didn't even get an interview from any of the schools I applied to - most of which were low-mid tier MD schools. I haven't checked my retake score yet, but I'm hoping for a 9+ in verbal. You really need a 9+ in verbal just to get your application looked at IMO, unless you have some amazing story or if you're American Indian, lol.
American indians actually have it bad hmph hmph

AAMC Average: 27.5
AAMC 10-11 Average: 25
Post Test expected: (11/10/9) 30
Actual score: (9/9/11) 29

Last edited:
1st MCAT: June 20, 2013. 31 (10PS/10VR/11BS)

Test date: January 10, 2015
Time: 1 PM
AAMC Average (re-used practice exams): 38.2
AAMC 10-11 Average (re-used practice exams): 39
Post-Test expected: 36 (12PS/11VR/13BS)
Actual score: 34 (10PS/11VR/13BS)

Anyone else in this range? What are you planning to do with your scores? I'm a non-trad student, re-applying with a 3.7 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA. (Had a grade slump in sophomore year with all upward trends after that.)

AAMC average: 35.5 (13/10.5/12)
AAMC 10-11 average: 35 (12/11/12)
Post test expected score: 31 (11/9/11)
Actual score: 33 (13/9/11)

Kind of bummed I didn't meet my average, and about the VR, but altogether relieved because I did well enough that I'm not planning on retaking.

Okay, I've had more time to process scoring a 30 now. I'm a little less upset, and am now just trying to gauge my options. Any thoughts on which way I should lean? Should I retake or not? Thanks in advance

Does anyone know what the FAP adds to the application? Is there any benefit to having it outside of the discounts listed? Does it even show up on applications? I can't afford a retake but need it and I'm trying to figure out this FAP business. Thanks!

1st MCAT: June 20, 2013. 31 (10PS/10VR/11BS)

Test date: January 10, 2015
Time: 1 PM
AAMC Average (re-used practice exams): 38.2
AAMC 10-11 Average (re-used practice exams): 39
Post-Test expected: 36 (12PS/11VR/13BS)
Actual score: 34 (10PS/11VR/13BS)

Anyone else in this range? What are you planning to do with your scores? I'm a non-trad student, re-applying with a 3.7 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA. (Had a grade slump in sophomore year with all upward trends after that.)
I got a 35 and I'm definitely keeping it...
I guess it would depend on if you're set on a top 10 school or something

I am so happy to see so many of you did so well. I have been praying for all of you since Jan. 10. I am proud of everyone for studying so hard even if you didn't get the score that was needed this time around. I have been a little bummed about not scoring my exam, but I know everything happens for a reason no matter how cliche that sounds.
For those of you who did well-- congrats! It makes my heart happy.

For those of you who need to retake-- it is okay. It may seem like your world is in a million different pieces, but everything will work out. One day we'll all look back at these days and laugh at how hard we were on ourselves. We are all going to make it. If you want it bad enough it will happen! I'm beginning to study for the new MCAT while in school right now and if any of you need a motivational buddy-- I'm here to study with you!!

Reactions: 12 users
I am so happy to see so many of you did so well. I have been praying for all of you since Jan. 10. I am proud of everyone for studying so hard even if you didn't get the score that was needed this time around. I have been a little bummed about not scoring my exam, but I know everything happens for a reason no matter how cliche that sounds.
For those of you who did well-- congrats! It makes my heart happy.

For those of you who need to retake-- it is okay. It may seem like your world is in a million different pieces, but everything will work out. One day we'll all look back at these days and laugh at how hard we were on ourselves. We are all going to make it. If you want it bad enough it will happen! I'm beginning to study for the new MCAT while in school right now and if any of you need a motivational buddy-- I'm here to study with you!!
Thank you for your kind words. World definitely feels like it's in a million pieces right now

I've seen a lot of your posts and similar to me, you've been interested in DO primarily....major congrats on your score!! lol expected 5 PS --> actual 10.
Yeah I am definitely interested mostly in DO schools. My top school is my in-state MD school which I think I have a decent chance to get into within two cycles. We will see, but I am ecstatic about my score!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, so im kinda in a pickle. i scored a 21 on this mcat (5 ps/7vr/9bs). Honestly what do you guys think my chances are for MD schools in state and also schools like Meharry, howard, and morehouse? I am also open to DO. I am a Texas resident and also URM with a 3.74 GPA. For my ECs i have a bunch of shadowing hours, i also played football at my university for 3 years,and also mentor and tutor along with various other volunteer activities.

Hey guys, so im kinda in a pickle. i scored a 21 on this mcat (5 ps/7vr/9bs). Honestly what do you guys think my chances are for MD schools in state and also schools like Meharry, howard, and morehouse? I am also open to DO. I am a Texas resident and also URM with a 3.74 GPA. For my ECs i have a bunch of shadowing hours, i also played football at my university for 3 years,and also mentor and tutor along with various other volunteer activities.
I'd say a 21 for MD or DO is a long shot, unfortunately.

Given that you are URM with interesting ECs, your odds still exist at many DO schools. MD is highly unlikely (but not impossible).

At this point it's important to be honest with yourself. If you scored a 21, and that was near your average, then give it one application cycle at a broad range of DO schools and see how it goes. While MD is still possible, it would probably be a waste of money because most of them won't even read your application without a 25+ MCAT. I don't think I would apply more than one cycle without retaking the MCAT.

Best of luck to you.