The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that's true - but my cGPA is not very high so I was banking on more queens/western because of the 2 year GPA calculations - however am eligible for dalhousie and U of T and may take my chances. My 2 year gpa is 3.8, but cGPA is much lower so not sure what to do. Def won't make it for mac that's for sure.
Gotta love Canada.....
I'm in a similar situation, my first year was kind of rough so I was hoping for the 11VR for western/mac. But I am fortunate to have IP status outside of ontario so that'll be my best shot

Reactions: 1 user
Test date: 1/10/2015
Time: 1 pm
AAMC average: 33
AAMC 10-11 average: 34
Post test expected score: 34 (12/10/12)
Actual score: 35 (12/12/11)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, this time around got interesting. I'm re-applying to MD schools only and this is my second time taking the MCAT. First time around: 31 (10PS/10VR/11BS), but I applied to low-tier and second-tier schools really late in the cycle (got supplemental apps in by Oct/Nov). This time I got a 34 (10PS/11VR/13BS); cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.55. What might my re-applicant chances look like if I applied with these numbers for a second round? I'm in the middle of taking two gap years.

This is incredible and I am humbled by the score I got, the first time I took it I got a 29 (10P/9V/10B). I applied to med school and only got one interview from which I got rejected. This time I changed my whole study plan. Instead of using prep books, I relied mostly on videos to learn. I guess it is all about finding out your learning style. For those planning on retaking, try something totally different, there's a reason those prep books did not work the first time around. And the facts come rushing back the second time around, it's not as bad as the first time, I promise. I guess the other thing that helped me keep my cool is knowing I can take it again if I have to, there's no rush. Thank you all for being here and going through this journey together with me. It has made the wait a lot less stressful. Next stop: Medical School!

AAMC average: 35(12P/11V/12B)
AAMC 10-11 average: 36(11.5P/11V/13.5B)
Post test expected score: 32 (12P/9V/11B)
Actual score: 37 (13P/10V/14B)
Amazing improvement dude. Inspirational

AAMC average: 36
AAMC 10-11 average: 37.5
Post test expected score: 37
Actual score: 38 (12/11/15)

Not the distribution I expected AT ALL – I honestly thought I did terrible on BS. The numbers make me wish I'd done just a little better on PS or VR, but in the end I can't really complain.

This is incredible and I am humbled by the score I got, the first time I took it I got a 29 (10P/9V/10B). I applied to med school and only got one interview from which I got rejected. This time I changed my whole study plan. Instead of using prep books, I relied mostly on videos to learn. I guess it is all about finding out your learning style. For those planning on retaking, try something totally different, there's a reason those prep books did not work the first time around. And the facts come rushing back the second time around, it's not as bad as the first time, I promise. I guess the other thing that helped me keep my cool is knowing I can take it again if I have to, there's no rush. Thank you all for being here and going through this journey together with me. It has made the wait a lot less stressful. Next stop: Medical School!

Thank you for your advice. Congratulations on your score. That's simply amazing. I'll be retaking and I'll remember your words. Kaplan and those books failed me so now I just need to turn it all upside-down. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Actual score: 26 (11/5/10)

I feel so screwed
Don't give up. You have the science scores down, just VR needs work. With the social sciences section serving as a nice cushion and another attempt at VR, I'm sure you will see higher scores if you take it again. Best of luck.

AAMC average: 25.67
AAMC 10-11 average: 25.5
Post test expected score: Hoping for a 30

Repeat of AAMC 3-4 and 9-11: 31

So what do you all think, any chance at a low-tier MD school? I'm a Kentucky resident with my school at an average of 31 and another at an average of 29.

Awesome job @Cawolf!! I knew you must have done well!

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC average: 36
AAMC 10-11 average: 37.5
Post test expected score: 37
Actual score: 38 (12/11/15)

Not the distribution I expected AT ALL – I honestly thought I did terrible on BS. The numbers make me wish I'd done just a little better on PS or VR, but in the end I can't really complain.
dat 15 doe

AAMC average: 25
AAMC 10-11 average: 28
Post test expected score: 22 (5/9/8)
Actual score: 27 (10/9/8)

First off, thank you guys and gals for having this thread. It really helped having everyone going through the same thing as me. I am beyond siked with my score given that I wanted a 24+ . I scored right around my states MD school average!
Great job!!! I hope you get in!

wow, that is a really impressive jump you made. thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC average: 25.67
AAMC 10-11 average: 25.5
Post test expected score: Hoping for a 30

Repeat of AAMC 3-4 and 9-11: 31

So what do you all think, any chance at a low-tier MD school? I'm a Kentucky resident with my school at an average of 31 and another at an average of 29.

Awesome job @Cawolf!! I knew you must have done well!
Maybe the ones in guam, PR, and the caribbean islands?

AAMC average: 30(11-10-9)
AAMC 10-11 average: 30(11-10-9)
Post test expected score: 27 (10-8-9)
Actual score: 26 (9-8-9)

First take was August 7th mcat, 25 10/8/7 (7 in bio). Went up 2 points in bio, the whole reason I retook the test. So highest combined 27. Not thrilled, but not devastated. Just glad the wait is over. Shooting for d.o. maybe MDs that take combined highest.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations @Cawolf, im very happy for you!

So I'm 100% doing peace corps. I scored a 31 -11PS, 11V, 9BS- jan. 8th (I KNEW I messed up BS) and it's probably good enough to get into an MD (certainly DO) school somewhere and with my grades, but i've made up my mind on taking this opportunity.

Good luck with your applications!
Best of wishes for your peace corps endeavor!

Reactions: 1 users
I am beyond shocked.

I just want to preface my post with a big thank you to everyone in here who helped keep me sane during this wait.

AAMC average: 38
AAMC 10-11 average: 40 (13/12/15)
Post test expected score: 33 (11/10/12)
Actual score: 41 (14P/13V/14B)

@JuanPabloCastel copied my breakdown!!
Congrats! That is my dream score.

AAMC average: 29
AAMC 10-11 average: 30
Post test expected score: 28-30
Actual score: 29 (10/10/9)

meh.

So I am also in a bit of a pickle... I scored a 28 (10/6/12). I am a South Carolina resident and have a 3.92 GPA and a publication. Any chance at state schools or at minimum low-Tier MD schools? The 6 is killer... My dream school is MUSC...

I would def retake just because of your VR 6 esp if you are shooting for MUSC. I think SC averages are 29-30 with a 10 in VR on average. You do have a good gpa tho so if english is a second language you might have a shot who knows

I posted this way back so I thought maybe I should bump it.

AAMC average: 35.5
AAMC 10-11 average: 38 (14/11/13)
Post test expected score: 33 (11/10/12)
Actual score: 33 (10/11/12)

Do I get +2 points for guessing my score? In all honesty though, pretty upset with that PS score (especially since I know what went wrong)... I know I shouldn't retake but part of me just wants to because I KNOW I could do better. Oh well, just one part of the app!

It got a 33 (12/10/11)
Should I retake it? I have a 4.0, go to a state school, amazing EC and rec letters I really just needed this score
I'm still a sophomore and I'm a psych major so I could take the new one
I'm in a 7 yr med school program that automatically requires a 30 only on MCAT
But I wanted to apply to schools in California
Should I retake it???

It got a 33 (12/10/11)
Should I retake it? I have a 4.0, go to a state school, amazing EC and rec letters I really just needed this score
Should I retake it???
umm no?

Reactions: 10 users
I know that might sound annoying to anyone that got below that but I know I can do a lot better...I really don't want to stay in my state and I really want to go to ucla or ucsf and my MCAT score is below their mean. At the same time I don't want to drop out of my program and not get accepted to those schools when I apply.. Don't know if my situation makes sense to anyone but any help would be appreciated

I know that might sound annoying to anyone that got below that but I know I can do a lot better...I really don't want to stay in my state and I really want to go to ucla or ucsf and my MCAT score is below their mean. At the same time I don't want to drop out of my program and not get accepted to those schools when I apply.. Don't know if my situation makes sense to anyone but any help would be appreciated
Don't forget that California schools heavily favor in-state applicants. You might still have a tough time with a 37-38. It would definitely be a huge risk.

Reactions: 2 users
So I want to sell my TBR books. Do yall know how people go about doing that? It doesn't look like anybody's are really selling on Ebay. I know there's a selling thread on this forum, but how do people usually pay and verify?

So I want to sell my TBR books. Do yall know how people go about doing that? It doesn't look like anybody's are really selling on Ebay. I know there's a selling thread on this forum, but how do people usually pay and verify?
PayPal?

Don't forget that California schools heavily favor in-state applicants. You might still have a tough time with a 37-38. It would definitely be a huge risk.

So true. Thanks for that..
I think I might just stick with my program

what do you want more-to be a doctor or to go to a specific med school?
be happy, you appear to have guaranteed your acceptance to become a doctor today, if that is what you want

AAMC average: 30
AAMC 10-11 average: 30
Post test expected score: 30+
Actual score: 3o (10/10/10)

Well, I guess I'm really consistent at least. Broke my 30+ goal, but feeling kind of meh about it considering I got exactly 30. Was hoping to do a bit better, but not disappointed :)

:unsure:
what do you want more-to be a doctor or to go to a specific med school?
be happy, you appear to have guaranteed your acceptance to become a doctor today, if that is what you want

Thanks for putting it in perspective. It's easy to get hung up on the numbers

It got a 33 (12/10/11)
Should I retake it???

Exactly like what @ConfusedChemist said, don't let greed blind you of your true goal which is to become a doctor. It takes one acceptance to give you that MD degree, take it and run.

Cal schools are like 95% instate. So if you were an out of state student, you might even need a higher school than their overall mean to get in.

Why do people still discriminate people base on intelligent? It is a form of hate crime. Where are my stupid brothers? Please stand up!!!

For those looking into registering for the new test, how long do you think we need to prepare for the retake? Is April enough time to learn the new stuff?

I'm personally shooting for a July/August 2015 retake. I'm still quite burnt out from studying for January. Not to mention I did terribly on Jan 8th exam and studied for a very long time with no distractions or busy work schedule so that tells me I definitely need to re-evaluate my study habits and find out where I went wrong with the old material before adding the new (biochemistry and psychology).

Scored a 31 (9/9/13) I am very happy because I went up A LOT from the first time I took this test last summer. 30 was my original goal and would have been happy with 28+ but beyond happy right now! I guess this shows that hard work and studying pay off. Congrats to everyone who met their desired scores, and if you have to retake just use my story as some inspiration!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your advice. Congratulations on your score. That's simply amazing. I'll be retaking and I'll remember your words. Kaplan and those books failed me so now I just need to turn it all upside-down. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
Feel free to PM me if you wish. I'll let you know which materials I used.

@JuanPabloCastel Impressive. Congrats!

@Cawolf CONGRATS!!!! I'm SO SO SO happy you got the score you wanted. Shoulda trusted those averages ;)

@juice31 YASSSS you beat that average! So happy for you!!! :D

@oobie and @deaniswow Nice! Beat the average :)

@mauroz Awesome score #twinning

@Fetch22 Ahhhh congrats!! Good luck with that med school app. You'll kill it :)

I've been busy all day, so haven't been too active. But I'm here now! I'm logging everything into the excel. If enough 1/8ers reply on this or their thread, I'll make one for their test too. And if I'm excel-savvy enough (probably not, but I'll try), I will also try to combine the data from the three dates to make one big data sheet. Congrats to everyone on their scores, and for all your hard work. We killed it and I wish everyone the best of luck with medical school applications and beyond.

AAMC average: 35.5
AAMC 10-11 average: 36
Post test expected score: 33 (11/11/11)
Actual score: 37 (13/13/11)

Reactions: 10 users
@mslm5401

I have been waiting for your post all day. So happy to see you did well!!!!!!!

I was worried when I did not see anything from you after the score release. Don't work too hard, all the posts will be here when you are ready.

:highfive:

@Cawolf Haha I've been trying to get a moment to post all afternoon. It's always scary when people go MIA after being active in a thread. And thanks! You're reading my mind; I'm gonna go enjoy the evening and come back to it later. So happy for you
:banana:

Just curious, did anyone run out of time on verbal and still do well? Above a 7 at least?

It got a 33 (12/10/11)
Should I retake it???

1. You should check with your school of choice if they will even accept this score when you apply since its gonna be a year or two till you apply. I know some schools are only accepting this "old" MCAT score for one more cycle (entering class of fall 2016), some schools for 2 more cycles while others are allowing the full three years that the MCAT is valid for.

2. I would be a straight a**hole if I told you to not chase your dreams. The location you end up attending for medical school can possibly be your residence for the next 4 - 14 years (depending on where you decide to do your residency and what type of residency you decide to do).

3. With all that being said, make sure you are fully committed if you decide to retake it.

Last edited: