**The Official ECU SoD C/O 2022 (2017-2018) Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely!! It has been my favorite school for over a year. Are you still trying to decide?

I paid my deposit at ECU and told penn I was going there. Only way I would change my mind is hearing from carolina. Then things would become really hard! But I’m super excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid my deposit at ECU and told penn I was going there. Only way I would change my mind is hearing from carolina. Then things would become really hard! But I’m super excited!
Oh nice. I tried to pay the deposit yesterday but the system did not let me. I'm glad you mentioned it. I just paid also. It's official!!!! As a side note, I personally would not change to Carolina even if they made a similar offer of acceptance. I was actually pretty surprised not to hear from them yet as I thought the interview went really well, but I like ECU much better and would have chosen them anyways. You made a great choice. How exciting!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Same, I thought my interview at ECU went okay but thought I killed it at UNC. What do you love so much about ECU? I love the class size.

Last edited:
Same, I thought my interview at ECU went okay but thought I killed it at UNC. What do you love so much about ECU? I love the class size.
Haha. Same here! Well that must have been on purpose. A few things I love about ECU in addition to the smaller class size: I love that there is 1 centralized exam each week and all the proffs are contributing questions from all their respective classes to it. No more 3-5 exams one week and no exams the next. That is a very inefficient way to study and test, and one of my least favorite things in during my undergrad years. The lectures are recorded (but I think a lot of schools are doing this now). The material is taught in systems - cardio, renal, etc. I also understand they have a really high national board passing rate, although I couldn't find exact data. Their equipment is state of the art - I'm a dental hygienist and I checked specifics. :) They put a lot of focus on clinical skills as they want to prepare their students to work in areas where they may be the only dentist, which means we may have to remove that impacted wisdom, or do a root canal on a maxillary molar - things many dentists are not comfortable doing. They really care about the underserved population, and they will tell you about it every chance they get - as it turns out I was once part of that population. During our 4th year we'll be exposed to several different clinics around NC. This is especially useful because the "real world" and the school clinic are very different (personal experience from dental hygiene school). Cheap cost of living in Greenville... umm there are more things but I need to go back to studying :).

Reactions: 2 users
Just paid my deposit!! Get up ECU!! Can’t wait to meet everyone and get started

Reactions: 1 users
Haha. Same here! Well that must have been on purpose. A few things I love about ECU in addition to the smaller class size: I love that there is 1 centralized exam each week and all the proffs are contributing questions from all their respective classes to it. No more 3-5 exams one week and no exams the next. That is a very inefficient way to study and test, and one of my least favorite things in during my undergrad years. The lectures are recorded (but I think a lot of schools are doing this now). The material is taught in systems - cardio, renal, etc. I also understand they have a really high national board passing rate, although I couldn't find exact data. Their equipment is state of the art - I'm a dental hygienist and I checked specifics. :) They put a lot of focus on clinical skills as they want to prepare their students to work in areas where they may be the only dentist, which means we may have to remove that impacted wisdom, or do a root canal on a maxillary molar - things many dentists are not comfortable doing. They really care about the underserved population, and they will tell you about it every chance they get - as it turns out I was once part of that population. During our 4th year we'll be exposed to several different clinics around NC. This is especially useful because the "real world" and the school clinic are very different (personal experience from dental hygiene school). Cheap cost of living in Greenville... umm there are more things but I need to go back to studying :).

My friend is a D3 and she said everyone is always so kind there too. I think that makes a world of difference.

My friend is a D3 and she said everyone is always so kind there too. I think that makes a world of difference.
Even better! I got the same impression as well.

There's only ~50 spots, so even if they sent them all out at once on Dec 1 (like UNC did) I'm sure there's some UNC/ECU overlap, and some will end up choosing UNC which means some spots will open up, right? Does anyone have any idea on how many acceptances they sent out first round? Really hoping to hear from ECU, #1 for many reasons like rdh2dds85 said.

There's only ~50 spots, so even if they sent them all out at once on Dec 1 (like UNC did) I'm sure there's some UNC/ECU overlap, and some will end up choosing UNC which means some spots will open up, right? Does anyone have any idea on how many acceptances they sent out first round? Really hoping to hear from ECU, #1 for many reasons like rdh2dds85 said.

I would assume there would probably be ~25 spots left if I had to make a wild guess. Purely spectical. But I hope everyone that has a true passion to get in does succeed. Keep your head up!

Hey can anyone explain to me the pass/fail concept vs letter grade? Like can you see your grades and are they recorded? Is there a rank and if so can you see it?

I know I posted this in the 2021 thread but that thread doesn't seem to reply much

Hey can anyone explain to me the pass/fail concept vs letter grade? Like can you see your grades and are they recorded? Is there a rank and if so can you see it?

I know I posted this in the 2021 thread but that thread doesn't seem to reply much

They keep a record of all your numerical grades for ranking purposes. The point of pass/fail is so you don’t feel pressure to make a certain grade. Instead you should focus on just learning as much as you can. I believe they also have a board where you can see your rank.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Flint, it is my understanding that the scores are recorded, stored, and categorized in great detail. In other words there is definitely a rank (useful if you want to specialize), but beyond that you will know specific areas where you excelled and areas in which you should work harder (handy info for studying for the boards).

Flint, it is my understanding that the scores are recorded, stored, and categorized in great detail. In other words there is definitely a rank (useful if you want to specialize), but beyond that you will know specific areas where you excelled and areas in which you should work harder (handy info for studying for the boards).

They have an algorithm or something that will tell you things like that. It’s a really innovative concept and I’m hoping they touch on that and the PBL curriculum during the admitted student preview day.

Ok cool, appreciate it. I do want to specialize if I can and I wanted to know how much the pass/fail would affect the chances. I guess it won't if I'll still have a gpa/rank/ ect..

They have an algorithm or something that will tell you things like that. It’s a really innovative concept and I’m hoping they touch on that and the PBL curriculum during the admitted student preview day.

Those are both great questions to ask. It was my impression that there are traditional lectures (thank goodness!) and in addition to the lectures and exams they use a learning tool called Yammer (similar to Facebook) in which we'll go though case studies with each other and with the faculty.

I have a less didactical question lol. Is there a gym on campus near the school?

I have a less didactical question lol. Is there a gym on campus near the school?

Yes! We just built a new health science campus student center that has a really nice gym in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Soooooo....about that Facebook page? Is there one yet?

The school is going to make us an "official" page in the next couple of months and then once things get going most classes make a "class-only" page as well.

Does anyone know how ECU will be notifying the remaining candidates? Are they doing individual emails or will there be another mass acceptance like December 1st?

Just received another email of interest last night. Does anyone know where they are about in filling the class at this point?? I was expecting to see more posts on more people being accepted as the months wore on, but haven't seen much activity, which is why I'm wondering.

-CC

Just received another email of interest last night. Does anyone know where they are about in filling the class at this point?? I was expecting to see more posts on more people being accepted as the months wore on, but haven't seen much activity, which is why I'm wondering.

-CC

Was the email that you received the same as the one that went out on Dec 4? I am assuming we would hear something soon since deposits for those accepted on Dec 1 were due last week. As far as I know no new acceptances went out after Dec 1 but I could be wrong.

Was the email that you received the same as the one that went out on Dec 4? I am assuming we would hear something soon since deposits for those accepted on Dec 1 were due last week. As far as I know no new acceptances went out after Dec 1 but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it was similar to the one released December 4th

Accepted this morning via email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant to post this a week ago but I turned down my acceptance and I know quite a few others who have done so as well. Hopefully that means those who are still waiting will hear back soon! Also, to those attending ECU, good luck and I look forward to serving North Carolina alongside y'all someday!

Does anyone know if today is the only batch of acceptances they are sending out?

They will probably send out all the latest acceptances today but hopefully there will be more throughout the day.

I didn't receive a second continued interest email this week, and I still haven't heard anything from them yet:/

Did you already interview? I interviewed in Nov got the continued interest email on Dec 4 and nothing since :(

I was asking those who got accepted if they got the second continued interest email on Tuesday bc that would probably mean whoever got that email is to be accepted next, as we saw today.

Well congrats to everyone that has heard back and for those who are still waiting, don’t lose hope! It is my understanding that ECU only accepted about 25 students on Dec 1, and the Facebook group only shows about 25 students plus the admins. It is strange how acceptances come out so slowly and little at a time but the best we can do is wait and hope for the best. Whatever is meant to be will be.

Did you already interview? I interviewed in Nov got the continued interest email on Dec 4 and nothing since :(

I was asking those who got accepted if they got the second continued interest email on Tuesday bc that would probably mean whoever got that email is to be accepted next, as we saw today.
Oh sorry! Yes, I interviewed in September and got the first continued interest email December 4th and nothing since also.

Theyve been telling different people on the phone different things. Really don’t understand why if they have a waitlist and only approximately 10 students turned down acceptances why they don’t send out rejections. There’s probably more going on we don’t know about.

Hi, could you please elaborate on what you mean by “different things”? I thought they have only accepted around 25 students, and the fb group reflects that. I feel like they still have half the class to fill and they are still deciding on who else to accept. Any insight/ information you have heard about this would be very much appreciated!

Theyve been telling different people on the phone different things. Really don’t understand why if they have a waitlist and only approximately 10 students turned down acceptances why they don’t send out rejections. There’s probably more going on we don’t know about.
What kind of different things? I'll call them and ask something I've never called before.

Hi, could you please elaborate on what you mean by “different things”? I thought they have only accepted around 25 students, and the fb group reflects that. I feel like they still have half the class to fill and they are still deciding on who else to accept. Any insight/ information you have heard about this would be very much appreciated!

Oops I posted this on accident in the wrong forum.

Oops I posted this on accident in the wrong forum.

Dude lol hahahaha you had me scared for a minute. I was like what they’ve already filled the class and there’s a waitlist?!? So you didn’t mean this about ECU? Have you heard anything about when more acceptances will come?

Yes, please let us know what they say if you call.

Does anyone think they will send out more acceptances today?

I’m trying to remain optimistic and I would like to think that they might call or email more people before today is over. It’s just strange that they would only accept two people and be done for the day.

I’m trying to remain optimistic and I would like to think that they might call or email more people before today is over. It’s just strange that they would only accept two people and be done for the day.

Are you assuming they only accepted two people because there were two people they posted here? I feel like if they send out acceptances, they would do several (maybe up to 10). But yes, we should remain optimistic.

Dude lol hahahaha you had me scared for a minute. I was like what they’ve already filled the class and there’s a waitlist?!? So you didn’t mean this about ECU? Have you heard anything about when more acceptances will come?

No I didn’t mean it about ECU. I haven’t heard anything else but I can say that 30 students are in the Facebook group

Are you assuming they only accepted two people because there were two people they posted here? I feel like if they send out acceptances, they would do several (maybe up to 10). But yes, we should remain optimistic.

Yea bc only two people posted. But who knows there could be more

Status
Not open for further replies.