The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just hoping I improved from my last score. I put so much more time and effort into this take (including shelling out the dough for a course) than my first and I felt a lot better after this one too. Just gonna keep praying all day, but my stomach feels like it's going to fall out of my butt.

I'm just hoping I improved from my last score. I put so much more time and effort into this take (including shelling out the dough for a course) than my first and I felt a lot better after this one too. Just gonna keep praying all day, but my stomach feels like it's going to fall out of my butt.

Same here, even including the whole stomach/butt thing haha. What was your score the first time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone receiving their score today! I probably won't be checking my score as soon as they come out since I have back to back classes and work all day. I'll definitely post my score whether its good or bad based on my own terms (and SDN terms, sigh).

Here's to hoping that one of those awful OChem passages was experimental and that I didn't bomb verbal!

Same here!!!

Same here, even including the whole stomach/butt thing haha. What was your score the first time?
It was a 25. However, I ended up barely studying due to a lot of other things going on at the time, so scoring that high was a surprise. I'm hoping that by putting in 4-5 months this time around it'll be a much better result. But sadly I cannot shake the nervous feelings.

Seriously, they need to post these scores before I pee my pants. I can't be expected to focus on tonight's cell physiology exam and worry about MCAT scores at the same time... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
are you applying DO or MD?

DO for now. I just decided that based on my 24 the first time, and my 28 AAMC average the second time it would probably be a waste of money for MD. If by some miracle I get 30+ I'll submit my MD, and hope for the best, and even take a gap year since I know it would be very late in the cycle. 31 is a good AAMC average, I would trust that far more than your post-test feelings.

DO for now. I just decided that based on my 24 the first time, and my 28 AAMC average the second time it would probably be a waste of money for MD. If by some miracle I get 30+ I'll submit my MD, and hope for the best, and even take a gap year since I know it would be very late in the cycle. 31 is a good AAMC average, I would trust that far more than your post-test feelings.

I think a 28 with your GPA makes you a good candidate for low/mid-tier md schools

You'll get into a DO program somewhere if you interview well. I've already received an acceptance to CUSOM and put my deposit down. Making today a lot easier to deal with. :)

You'll get into a DO program somewhere if you interview well. I've already received an acceptance to CUSOM and put my deposit down. Making today a lot easier to deal with. :)

HotHam, we had the exact same post-test feelings and similar AAMC averages(especially PS)... I am waiting for you to post your score first before checking mine :p

HotHam, we had the exact same post-test feelings and similar AAMC averages(especially PS)... I am waiting for you to post your score first before checking mine :p

Nice lol. I care a lot less now that I have an acceptance from my first score. This retest, unless its phenomenal, will turn out to be a complete waste of two months extra studying. I have no problem checking first though for you. Ill be happy if I break 29+. It was a bear for me.

I had a dream that I got 6/6/4... And then another dream that I got a 34 (but didn't know the breakdown) O_O I just want this to be over.

What were your stats that you got an acceptance to cusom? I'm just curious if you don't mind sharing.

3.92/3.97/24 - 7 years experience as paramedic and firefighter. Volunteering with my church and in my community. 1 year clinical research in a hospital. Very strong letters from a DO and a MD. Only about 100 hrs of shadowing. Good at interviews (worked in sales and service industry for many years).

I had a dream that I got 6/6/4... And then another dream that I got a 34 (but didn't know the breakdown) O_O I just want this to be over.

I guess anything's possible, but I doubt you'll get a 6/6/4. My buddy guessed all the way through a Kaplan practice MCAT and got a 21, somewhere around a 7 in each category.

While a 34 is a good score, enough for MD assuming a decent gpa, it is also the minimum score that some Adcoms would penalize for a retake. I kind of hope I don't land on it.

Good luck everyone!

Suggested format for posting scores:

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS):
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS):
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs):
AAMC and Other FL Averages:
Comments/Feelings/Tips:

2eek.jpg

27. Sigh. 9/10/8

I didn't feel as strongly as my practices (35ish with 12/11/12 give or take a point here and there), but I didn't think I'd do this poorly. FWIW I have a 3.73 cGPA, and BPCM is 3.75

Guess there's always next year.

10 6 11... went down from 10 6 12 two years ago...in shock... avg was 33.2.... dunno what to do with my damn life right now