The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure we're all getting that feeling. Fortunately between then and now we have Mayweather vs Canelo tonight, Sunday night football tomorrow, and then Monday night football. No complaints here..

I've got a computational physics lab, 100+ pages of history of medicine readings and about 50 pages of linear programming readings :laugh:

I have endless chemical engineering homework, still need to take time off to keep your head on straight though. The only people you'll find in a bar 3pm on Monday are alcoholics, and med school students post-exam

:eek::eek::eek: No orange juice, I guess :p

I'm going to watch movies and TV shows until our scores come out on Tuesday. Any suggestions for shows? I need to start something other than How I Met Your Mother.... :oops:

I'm going to watch movies and TV shows until our scores come out on Tuesday. Any suggestions for shows? I need to start something other than How I Met Your Mother.... :oops:

:thumbup: That is one of my favorite shows! I assume you're talking about shows on netflix, I like Breaking Bad, The Office, Scrubs, and I've been meaning to get around to watching Always Sunny since I've heard its pretty legen-(wait for it...) dary.

I was fine for the rest of my month but I'm getting super nervous now. Just submitted my OMSAS application and all that's left is the MCAT score.

I have a sinking feeling I'm going to need a retake

You're done OMSAS already? I have started but can't seem to get myself to complete the sketch until I find out my scores lol

You're done OMSAS already? I have started but can't seem to get myself to complete the sketch until I find out my scores lol

SAME! I don't want to submit my OMSAS application until I see my scores. Around 45 hours left!

SAME! I don't want to submit my OMSAS application until I see my scores. Around 45 hours left!

okay good... this is my first time applying through OMSAS and the fact that people are submitting already got me worried lol

AAMC wouldn't release scores early, would they? I've read that you can expect to get your scores 30-35 days after the exam. Today, the 15th, marks day 30 post-exam..

Nope. You get it on the date it says you will (tentative score release).

Members don't see this ad :)

Eastbound and Down, Season 1. It'll give you a good backup plan if your scores aren't up to par.
...wish I could join you. I've got five 75-minute classes and 2 exams (Orgo and A&P) to plow through tomorrow. Not gonna be a fun day, hoping my MCAT scores don't make it worse

Eastbound and Down, Season 1. It'll give you a good backup plan if your scores aren't up to par.
...wish I could join you. I've got five 75-minute classes and 2 exams (Orgo and A&P) to plow through tomorrow. Not gonna be a fun day, hoping my MCAT scores don't make it worse
5 classes on tuesday/thursday...wtf

okay good... this is my first time applying through OMSAS and the fact that people are submitting already got me worried lol

Yeah, it's my first application cycle too. I'm a 3rd year so only applied to Mac so the sketch was easy. I just wanted to leave time since the transcript has to be in by Oct 1 but apparently they only take 1 day to send.

I think I've officially gone mental. I logged on, not to see if scores were up, but to see where on the page they would be so I could cover it up and slowly reveal it in between multiple shots of whatever alcohol my friend has tomorrow. :laugh:

Hopefully, by the time I get to the worst score, I'll be too drunk to remember it.

This plan may backfire as I have a class from 6-9 pm tomorrow...

Retake? If he got a 36 he'd probably throw himself out of a moving vehicle.
reaction after seeing the 36:

work-meetings.gif

If I do poorly and decide to retake in 2014, would it still be possible to get a couple interviews at DO schools for this cycle?

If I do poorly and decide to retake in 2014, would it still be possible to get a couple interviews at DO schools for this cycle?

Stupid question from an uneducated Canadian. :confused:

What's DO? And how/why is it different from an MD? I've seen it mentioned a ton on this board as backup to MD but there has to be some difference, right?

What's DO? And how/why is it different from an MD? I've seen it mentioned a ton on this board as backup to MD but there has to be some difference, right?

In before MD vs. DO debate....

but seriously you would be better of to look it up on wikipedia or something because you're going to get some trollers on SDN when you ask this question.

Hello fellow Canadian,
DO is Doctor of Osteopathy. With this designation you will be able to compete for the same residency positions as Medical Doctors and won't be subject to the leftover residency spots like most international graduates. That said, the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine differs slightly from that of allopathy. So you may want to research a little bit before you start applying to DO schools.

In before MD vs. DO debate....

but seriously you would be better of to look it up on wikipedia or something because you're going to get some trollers on SDN when you ask this question.

Honestly, I tried. The only things I gathered were things I'd rather not say since I'd probably offend the DO students. But I mean, there has to be a difference, if not why not just go straight for a DO school if you end up in the same place? It seems easier to get into and if it's just taught differently(?), it can't be that hard to just suck it up and study for 2 years before you get to clerkship.

ETA: Don't just reply to flame please. It's a real question since I'd never heard of DO before coming on SDN.

So GTLO, at what point is the highest score that you would not be happy with and want to retake? 36?

Retake? If he got a 36 he'd probably throw himself out of a moving vehicle.

Thanks everyone for such confidence in my resilience. :laugh:

At this point, I'm confident enough that I did "well" that I don't plan on retaking, so I don't have a cutoff. There are scores where I'll be disappointed and scores where I'll be elated, but either way, I'm done.

If you ask a DO, they will tell you that their education taught them to view the body as a system. They claim that their education differs from an MD's education because the DO is trained to treat the source of the disease, not just the symptoms as they claim a MD will do. They also claim that they communicate with patients eye to eye, rather than giving the impression that the doctor is somehow "above" the patient and "talking down" on the patient.

However, the DO's that I talked to might just be saying that because they're still butthurt about not getting into a MD program.

The only difference I really see is that DO's get the same training as an MD, except with the addition of some sort of hands on osteopathy.. Seems like a bunch of voodoo magic to me.

At the end of the day, it's all about where you feel comfortable. Wherever you graduate from, you'll still be Dr. Sarvish, you'll still get in a residency, and you'll still be able to build your practice how you want (hopefully... damn Obamacare...)

1. First of all, any good doctor (MD or DO) will view the body as a system and treat the source of the disease, so it is not unique to either degree. DO schools just tend to emphasize that area due to the history of osteopathic medicine. Plus any DO school website you visit can explain "what is osteopathic medicine" without ever mentioning MD.

2. That is true, there could be butthurt DOs. On the other side of that coin though is an MD/DO applicant with borderline stats that is happy going to a DO school until he gets into an MD and suddenly becomes anti-DO. It is at this moment that you realize that this person is a douche and can't wait to look down their nose at others.

3. I agree that there are some parts of the osteopathic curriculum that are questionable, but not many practicing DOs use OMM anyway, and those that do tend to stick with the musculoskeletal manipulation used by PTs. The DO I shadowed used it a little bit when applicable, and it was actually really cool to see and it did help the patient.

4. I couldn't agree more :thumbup:

To answer Sarvish's original question in my own words (since I will probably be going DO myself):
There are 2 routes (or degrees) to end up practicing medicine in the US. MD is obviously the more traditional, with more schools and practicing physicians. DO curriculum is similar, with the addition of osteopathic manipulative medicine courses, designed to relate musculoskeletal issues with other problems if possible.

One of the biggest issues many have with DOs is the difference in stats between the average matriculant each type of school. The way I see it however, is there is a very broad range of stats for matriculating students, ranging from high 30 MCATs and 3.9 gpas to mid-low 20's and 3.3 or something, and there is a pretty sizable area in the middle where lower-tier MD schools and higher DO schools have similar stats. In fact after looking at the MSAR I realized that quite a few DO schools have higher average MCATs than many state MD schools.

Last edited:
1. First of all, any good doctor (MD or DO) will view the body as a system and treat the source of the disease, so it is not unique to either degree. DO schools just tend to emphasize that area due to the history of osteopathic medicine. Plus any DO school website you visit can explain "what is osteopathic medicine" without ever mentioning MD.

2. That is true, there could be butthurt DOs. On the other side of that coin though is an MD/DO applicant with borderline stats that is happy going to a DO school until he gets into an MD and suddenly becomes anti-DO. It is at this moment that you realize that this person is a douche and can't wait to look down their nose at others.

3. I agree that there are some parts of the osteopathic curriculum that are questionable, but not many practicing DOs use OMM anyway, and those that due tend to stick with the musculoskeletal manipulation used by PTs. The DO I shadowed used it a little bit when applicable, and it was actually really cool to see and it did help the patient.

4. I couldn't agree more :thumbup:

To answer Sarvish's original question in my own words (since I will probably be going DO myself):
There are 2 routes (or degrees) to end up practicing medicine in the US. MD is obviously the more traditional, with more schools and practicing physicians. DO curriculum is similar, with the addition of osteopathic manipulative medicine courses, designed to relate musculoskeletal issues with other problems if possible.

One of the biggest issues many have with DOs is the difference in stats between the average matriculant each type of school. The way I see it however, is there is a very broad range of stats for matriculating students, ranging from high 30 MCATs and 3.9 gpas to mid-low 20's and 3.3 or something, and there is a pretty sizable area in the middle where lower-tier MD schools and higher DO schools have similar stats. In fact after looking at the MSAR I realized that quite a few DO schools have higher average MCATs than many state MD schools.

Thank you! I always saw little bits and pieces of MD vs DO but it's nice to have all the info at once. It's just that if I don't get into a Canadian school on my 2nd application cycle which is highly likely due to the low chances, I'll probably be applying to American ones.

It's still far away but it's nice to have the knowledge ahead of time. If I were to apply, I'd have a mid-3.8 or so which is either just on or slightly below average here so once I heard about DO, it was nice to know that there were still options.

Thank you! I always saw little bits and pieces of MD vs DO but it's nice to have all the info at once. It's just that if I don't get into a Canadian school on my 2nd application cycle which is highly likely due to the low chances, I'll probably be applying to American ones.

It's still far away but it's nice to have the knowledge ahead of time. If I were to apply, I'd have a mid-3.8 or so which is either just on or slightly below average here so once I heard about DO, it was nice to know that there were still options.

I'm sure given your gpa and MCAT score you could get into an american MD program. DO is more of a backup option for someone like me who isn't the greatest standardized test taker :oops: but I guess tomorrow we'll know for sure.

I'm sure given your gpa and MCAT score you could get into an american MD program. DO is more of a backup option for someone like me who isn't the greatest standardized test taker :oops: but I guess tomorrow we'll know for sure.

I sincerely hope you have an amazing score tomorrow. You worked hard and hopefully it'll show. :thumbup:

I'm just speculating about stupid things at this point. It's a waste of energy to make future plans until tomorrow. After 3 pm tomorrow, I can sit down and decide what exactly I'm doing with my life for the next few years. Until then, it's all guesswork.

13 hours at this point, I have a lab to finish (since there's no way I'm going to be in the mood to do it tomorrow), 7 hours of sleep plus getting ready in the morning, 1 hour of commuting, 2 hours of history of medicine, 1 hour to run to LCBO to get alcohol.

This will probably be my last post for a week or so unless my score is unexpectedly good. I'm glad to have had the support from the 8/15 and 8/16 threads and I hope that you'll all hit what you want and go on to be amazing physicians.

For those of you with bad scores, oh well, only thing you can do is rewrite, not a huge deal, an extra summer in a much longer path to becoming a physician. Just think of how glad you'll be when you're in med school. :D

Best of luck to everyone receiving their score today! I probably won't be checking my score as soon as they come out since I have back to back classes and work all day. I'll definitely post my score whether its good or bad based on my own terms (and SDN terms, sigh).

Here's to hoping that one of those awful OChem passages was experimental and that I didn't bomb verbal!