The Official 4/26/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clothcut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of the other threads popping up, I thought it'd be good for those of us taking the test to identify ourselves :thumbup:

I'm not planning on following a rigid study schedule until January, but I think I'm going to watch a single video off of wikipremed daily to lightly review.

Good luck to everyone... we will crush this exam..

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking for a few months now. Just had to share my happiness. I got a 37. Completely unexpected. I'd been pushing the mcat back since January. I'd gone through all the Kaplan review books for the subjects and took the one free practice test and got a 30. This 37 caught me completely off guard. I'm going to go get some wine and celebrate at the bars to tonight. Congratulations everyone.

Almost same as me! Except a 9 in verbal... I was also really surprised by my verbal score. Oh well.

I've been lurking for a few months now. Just had to share my happiness. I got a 37. Completely unexpected. I'd been pushing the mcat back since January. I'd gone through all the Kaplan review books for the subjects and took the one free practice test and got a 30. This 37 caught me completely off guard. I'm going to go get some wine and celebrate at the bars to tonight. Congratulations everyone.

kinda harsh when your message basically said "I reviewed all the kaplan books and only took one practice exam that I got a 30 on but end up with 37 on the real thing"

or am I just too sensitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
39!
This was the upper range of my AAMC scores, so I guess I can't complain about the AAMCs being too easy.
12p 12v 15b
Congrats to everyone who doesn't have to face this miserable beast again.

Here are my results:
7P 12V 13B
The most unbalanced 32 I've ever achieved. Would you guys retake it?

I'm glad to see that people have survived the month of waiting. Just remember that no matter how you might feel about your result, this test is NOT your defining moment. That will be the first time your take responsibility for the life of another human being and bring them comfort and well-being. This test is merely a hurdle we must get over in order to reach our goals.

Last MCAT (7/2010): 30 (10PS, 9V, 11BS)
Last MCAT AAMC average: ~30

This time around...

1/19 AAMC 3: 32 (12PS, 10V, 10BS)
2/16 AAMC 5: 37 (13PS, 11V, 13BS)
4/7 AAMC 7: 37 (14PS, 10V, 13BS)
4/21 AAMC 11: 37 (14PS, 10V, 13BS)
AAMC average this time: 35.8

Actual: 32 (10PS, 9V, 13BS)

Damn...

Definitely felt like I got screwed by PS hitting on some weak spots. Disappointed with <10 in verbal, but most certainly am going to apply with this score. Hopefully my increase to a 13 in bio will look favorable, as well as managing a lab at the U of M med school for the last two years+many posters/co-authored publication and >300 hrs volunteering/shadowing (mix of medical and non-medical) since the last time I applied. Best of luck to everyone!

Forum was down for me the entire time while scores were getting release so I will post now. I am so unbelievably glad to be over with this thing for good. I can not explain the feeling. My entire family is relieved of seeing me like a zombie. I won't post original score or retake score just because I know how much it can hurt to those who did not hit their goal. I just wanted to give out some words. If you are like I was a year ago, feeling like crap after all that hard work, scoring a certain average on AAMC tests and not meeting it the day it mattered, do not worry. I know how much it hurts at first. Trust me I stared with my head down on the desk for eternity. But just give it some time. Time will heal everything. If you are determined enough to be a doctor, you will come back get the score you want. I will probably post more about my experiences later on, but just for those who are not having it all their way right now I want to say one day I was in the same shoes and now im good. You will get your good day too. Congrats to everyone.

Out of curiosity, did any of you walk out of there feeling like you completely bombed it and end up doing better than you thought?

I won't post original score or retake score just because I know how much it can hurt to those who did not hit their goal. I just wanted to give out some words. If you are like I was a year ago, feeling like crap after all that hard work, scoring a certain average on AAMC tests and not meeting it the day it mattered, do not worry. I know how much it hurts at first. Trust me I stared with my head down on the desk for eternity. But just give it some time. Time will heal everything. If you are determined enough to be a doctor, you will come back get the score you want. I will probably post more about my experiences later on, but just for those who are not having it all their way right now I want to say one day I was in the same shoes and now im good. You will get your good day too. Congrats to everyone.

I can't help but feel like this is directed at me, since I'm the only one who has posted s***ty scores so far :laugh:

Congrats on reaching your goal, and I appreciate your words of encouragement.

oh definitely. I was overwhelmed by PS because of how heavy the calculations were. I expected verbal to be tough since it's my weak spot - my range was 5 to 11 on the practice tests. And BS was definitely what made me think that I completely bombed the test. But I'm happy to say that I am finally done with this monster exam. For future test takers, really think hard before voiding your exam because I was on the verge of voiding it... but I couldn't be happier that I didn't.

Congratulations to all of you out there who achieved your goals of 34+! You all worked super hard and deserve it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got a 30 (8PS/11VR/11BS), and kind of feel like a mixed bag. I'm glad I did just as well as I did on practice exams on VR and BS, but disappointed about the PS score. Walking out of the exam I was stressed about PS because it was the only section that I barely had enough time to finish, and I guess that stress was reflected in my score.

Any suggestions on whether it's worth it to retake or not?

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE FOR FINALLY HAVING THE WAITING GAME BE OVER!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I hope that you can provide me with some advice as I am feeling very lost about things right now. I need advice as to whether I should retake the exam or not.

I go to a top 45 undergraduate school and have a 3.69 GPA. I originally got a 21 on the MCAT (was not prepared) and on my April retake got a 26. While I understand that this score is on the low end, I dont know whether I should retake or not. Aside from my MCAT score, I have the following credentials:

Clinical Research: Have one publication from this (I am Senior Author) and am awaiting a response on 2 other manuscripts that I have submitted. Also, I did more research the following year at another hospital

Lab research: past year at a very esteemed hospital in Boston. Before then, research at my UG school

Have a clinical research position locked up for next year.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I feel that I have excellent medical experience and credentials aside from my MCAT. I am scheduled for a MCAT retake on 7/2 but do not know whether I should take it or not, given that this will delay my application verification and also am nervous if I dont go up in score.

Please, PLEASE provide me with some feedback. Thank you all and congrats to those who did well on the 4/26 exam. Thanks

I guess I'll be the one to break up all this happiness: I got a 24- 10PS, 8VR, 6BS (I suspect others who didn't do as well don't want to post their scores)

Congrats to all those who achieved their goals! Suffice it to say I got what I deserved. Taking classes while studying for MCAT is not a good idea, so I kind of expected to not do so hot (plus I only took 1 FL before the real thing). Luckily I have been busting balls on the SN2ed schedule for the past month and I know that I can do better next time.

Its funny because I thought I got murdered by PS and that BS went really well, but I guess your post test feelings mean nothing.

See you again on August 15th, MCAT.

I got the same score bud. It's 4 points below my AAMC average. I'm super bummed but only because I don't want to start studying for this test again. I won't let this keep me from achieving what I know I am supposed to become. Looking at a late August retake and still going to apply in June. I am hoping that my high GPA, 8 yrs of clinical experience and being a Florida resident will grant me an interview somewhere. If not, then hopefully after the retake or next year. I won't give up.

I got the same score bud. It's 4 points below my AAMC average. I'm super bummed but only because I don't want to start studying for this test again. I won't let this keep me from achieving what I know I am supposed to become. Looking at a late August retake and still going to apply in June. I am hoping that my high GPA, 8 yrs of clinical experience and being a Florida resident will grant me an interview somewhere. If not, then hopefully after the retake or next year. I won't give up.

Thanks man, good to know I'm not alone. Good luck with your retake, you can do it!

should I retake I got a 26. I really want an MD sighh. My score was 9/9/8. I usually do a lot better on verbal like a 10-12.

Bio I thought I did ok coming out and it was my worst section T_T. My aamc scores were arond 28-33.

Gpa is 3.6. I feel like I can do better but I dont wanna on the off chance risk doing worse etc.

I have really good extra curriculars if that matters.

Tennis Pro (was sponsored by Solinco and Adidas)
Made an iPhone game that is now out on the app store just released.
100+ Hours Clincial
300+ Hours research
Tutoring
Not gonna say what team (but did join a professional starcraft 2 team for a bit)
And a slew of other stuff

Managed to score a 40 (14/11/15) (same overall as AAMC11). Very excited that I don't need to worry about this test anymore.

I give all my best to those who need to retake - this behemoth is challenging, but by no means unsurmountable. Just keep at it, and, since you now know all of the test's secrets, you can better prepare for next time.

should I retake I got a 26. I really want an MD sighh. My score was 9/9/8. I usually do a lot better on verbal like a 10-12.

Bio I thought I did ok coming out and it was my worst section T_T. My aamc scores were arond 28-33.

Gpa is 3.6. I feel like I can do better but I dont wanna on the off chance risk doing worse etc.

I have really good extra curriculars if that matters.

Tennis Pro (was sponsored by Solinco and Adidas)
Made an iPhone game that is now out on the app store just released.
100+ Hours Clincial
300+ Hours research
Tutoring
Not gonna say what team (but did join a professional starcraft 2 team for a bit)
And a slew of other stuff

Unless you are considering DO or carribean you should retake... I got a 27 9PS/8VR/10BS... I am scheduled for a July 25... I am considering post-poning to August... what do you guys think? Will this decrease my chances of getting into medical school greatly? I am submitting my applications early/mid June.

Out of curiosity, did any of you walk out of there feeling like you completely bombed it and end up doing better than you thought?

After each section, I gave a total of Zero f#3ks as i proceded to eat nutella out of the jar during my break. It definitely helped keep me energized and focused.

Do you all think they had a more lenient curve then? Most of you guys scored within your averages on your practice AAMCs despite the negative post-test feelings.

Congrats on the scores guys!

I believe it wasnt lenient. The reason being, I scored a 35 on pretty much all my AAMCs including the harder ones that had harsh curves. I would say the 4/4/13 thread had an easier one judging by their avg scores.

Forum was down for me the entire time while scores were getting release so I will post now. I am so unbelievably glad to be over with this thing for good. I can not explain the feeling. My entire family is relieved of seeing me like a zombie. I won't post original score or retake score just because I know how much it can hurt to those who did not hit their goal. I just wanted to give out some words. If you are like I was a year ago, feeling like crap after all that hard work, scoring a certain average on AAMC tests and not meeting it the day it mattered, do not worry. I know how much it hurts at first. Trust me I stared with my head down on the desk for eternity. But just give it some time. Time will heal everything. If you are determined enough to be a doctor, you will come back get the score you want. I will probably post more about my experiences later on, but just for those who are not having it all their way right now I want to say one day I was in the same shoes and now im good. You will get your good day too. Congrats to everyone.

We 4/26ers have a pact to post our scores friend! Dont cop out. It helps to share the happiness or the sorrow.

I can't help but feel like this is directed at me, since I'm the only one who has posted s***ty scores so far :laugh:

Congrats on reaching your goal, and I appreciate your words of encouragement.

youre not the only one who scored below a 25, but you are one of the few brave enough to post it. And for that you have my respect, and that of others as well.

Congratulations to all of you out there who achieved your goals of 34+! You all worked super hard and deserve it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got a 30 (8PS/11VR/11BS), and kind of feel like a mixed bag. I'm glad I did just as well as I did on practice exams on VR and BS, but disappointed about the PS score. Walking out of the exam I was stressed about PS because it was the only section that I barely had enough time to finish, and I guess that stress was reflected in my score.

Any suggestions on whether it's worth it to retake or not?

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE FOR FINALLY HAVING THE WAITING GAME BE OVER!!!

It depends where you want to matriculate, your GPA, and your ECs. I recommend a WAMC thread and you will likely have your answer.

Managed to score a 40 (14/11/15) (same overall as AAMC11). Very excited that I don't need to worry about this test anymore.

I give all my best to those who need to retake - this behemoth is challenging, but by no means unsurmountable. Just keep at it, and, since you now know all of the test's secrets, you can better prepare for next time.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Damn man thats a beastly score. I think your average was also very high for the practices. I think that makes three 40s so far. and lots of 34+s.

Band of low score brothers. We will prevail. All great success stories have a failure.

38242526.jpg

Whoa, congrats.

Unless you are considering DO or carribean you should retake... I got a 27 9PS/8VR/10BS... I am scheduled for a July 25... I am considering post-poning to August... what do you guys think? Will this decrease my chances of getting into medical school greatly? I am submitting my applications early/mid June.

I don't know much about DO applications, but I am guessing it's similar to MD applications. You'll receive a new score by September and being complete in September is late even when you finish secondaries asap, because schools wait until your new score comes out. How about giving it a try with what you have this cycle and maybe re-take the MCAT later this year or early next year instead?

I'm right there with you, bro. 8 verbal is still killing me right now and I'm so lost too.

Its kind of funny how easy it is to brand someone with a low MCAT score as incompetent....until you sit for the exam yourself. I was guilty of that when I started lurking, and I'm sure new SDN lurkers are doing the same to me. I have nearly a 3.8 gpa, and aced almost all of my prereq classes so I would like to think that I'm fairly intelligent. The MCAT is such a different game though, which is frustrating. And this is coming from someone who has always been a pretty good test taker, even with standardized exams.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. What happened here.

Averages:
30-34
Predicted:
Actual:
37 (13 PS / 11 VR / 13 BS) 04-26-13
27 (09 PS / 08 VR / 10 BS) 09-07-12

We'll see where this will get me with a very low gpa hahahahaha.

Congrats to everyone that did as well as they wanted and good luck.
Cheer up everyone that did not do as well as they wanted and good luck in your endeavors as well! Just know that you'll get to where you want to be soon.

Edit: Correction on averages: I did score a 36 on AAMC 9

How low is your GPA because I might be in the same boat

Its kind of funny how easy it is to brand someone with a low MCAT score as incompetent....until you sit for the exam yourself. I was guilty of that when I started lurking, and I'm sure new SDN lurkers are doing the same to me. I have nearly a 3.8 gpa, and aced almost all of my prereq classes. The MCAT is such a different game though, which is frustrating. And this is coming from someone who has always been a pretty good test taker, even with standardized exams.

Don't worry about the one's labeling you as a lower scorer. They don't matter. My cousin took the exam, had a below 30 score and retook it and then scored a 34. It's doable. Just rethink your strategy for the next time around. Good luck!

Thanks man, and congrats on your incredible score!

Put in the work necessary and you too can have someone congratulate you for your score! Congrats on sitting through the test and coming out with a score close to the average (think about it...more than 40% of the students that took the test scored lower than you. Does that make you feel a bit better or did I mess up the statistics?)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. What happened here.

Averages:
30-34
Predicted:
Actual:
37 (13 PS / 11 VR / 13 BS) 04-26-13
27 (09 PS / 08 VR / 10 BS) 09-07-12

We'll see where this will get me with a very low gpa hahahahaha.

Congrats to everyone that did as well as they wanted and good luck.
Cheer up everyone that did not do as well as they wanted and good luck in your endeavors as well! Just know that you'll get to where you want to be soon.

Edit: Correction on averages: I did score a 36 on AAMC 9

What did you do to prepare for retake?

Put in the work necessary and you too can have someone congratulate you for your score! Congrats on sitting through the test and coming out with a score close to the average (think about it...more than 40% of the students that took the test scored lower than you. Does that make you feel a bit better or did I mess up the statistics?)

Haha yeah I think the average is 25-26 right? Like I said originally, I deserved what I got. I took a prep course but couldn't dedicate enough time to it due to classes this last semester, as well as work, ECs, and a wife. Plus I only took 1 practice test beforehand, because I knew I was going to need to retake and didn't want to waste them.

This next time I think I have a lot of potential to do better. I'm a month into SN2ed, and going at it crazy hard with no other obligations. I still have all AAMC practice tests (except 3) as well as all TPR FLs. I think the fact that I scored as well as I did given the shoddy prep I did gives me hope for a lot of improvement.

Thanks for the encouragement man, this is what SDN is all about! (cue emotional music)

I got a 22 =( I am ready to champion my retake. The heavy Orgo really kicked my butt! 9V, 7PS, 6BS. I did not expect so much ORGO but I will definitely be better prepared for my retake. Experiencing the test for the first time was definitely worth it. My initial shock is over so review and retake is in session! Nonetheless I do plan on submitting my application that I have been working ever so hard on. I believe that the rest of my application is strong and is getting stronger. I AM READY! LETS GET IT YAL!!! Until next time!

What did you do to prepare for retake?

Just went in with confidence and a lot of practice material behind me. Just expose your self to all sorts of different questions because it will be that easy when you see them on the exam (like free points).

Haha yeah I think the average is 25-26 right? Like I said originally, I deserved what I got. I took a prep course but couldn't dedicate enough time to it due to classes this last semester, as well as work, ECs, and a wife. Plus I only took 1 practice test beforehand, because I knew I was going to need to retake and didn't want to waste them.

This next time I think I have a lot of potential to do better. I'm a month into SN2ed, and going at it crazy hard with no other obligations. I still have all AAMC practice tests (except 3) as well as all TPR FLs. I think the fact that I scored as well as I did given the shoddy prep I did gives me hope for a lot of improvement.

Thanks for the encouragement man, this is what SDN is all about! (cue emotional music)

You are most welcome. Just get what you want this time, no holds barred with the MCAT; just go all out!

If you knew you would do poorly, what made you not want to void?

If you knew you would do poorly, what made you not want to void?

Partially because I hoped that I would have done a little better. Partially due to my advisors advice of taking it in April so I can apply early, get secondaries out and then update my app with my new score when I retake. If I waited until Sept to apply that would be far too late for comfort.

This exam is a beast, I suck at standard exam
This my score, from last year from 08/2012
10/04/10

My score this year from 04/26/13 is 8/8/8. I don't feel like taking it any more, I hope this get me into DO school, My cGPA is 3.41 sGPA is 3.7, currently working at least 45 hrs a week and shadowing a DO about 4 to 6 hours a month.

Partially because I hoped that I would have done a little better. Partially due to my advisors advice of taking it in April so I can apply early, get secondaries out and then update my app with my new score when I retake. If I waited until Sept to apply that would be far too late for comfort.

Are you going to go ahead and apply then and just indicate a retake date?

Congrats osprey, Alnafis, gandalf, back and the rest who achieved their goal. I didn't mean to miss anyone but these felt like the people I spoke to most. I got a 29 ( 6 pt increase from last year) with a 9-9-11. I wish I would've hit 30, but I guess it could've been worse since the guidebook said only 5 % of retakers with my score improved by 6. I hope some SUNY interviews me although my GPA is a little low because I feel I can wow them with that. I will be applying DO and some reach MD schools. A lot of it is what you put into it (in med school) so don't let this test get you down. To those who didnt do as well as you had hoped, if I can improve, so can you. I guarantee you that and I'm sure you will, tanner and Grady specifically. Good luck all!

Congrats osprey, Alnafis, gandalf, back and the rest who achieved their goal. I didn't mean to miss anyone but these felt like the people I spoke to most. I got a 29 ( 6 pt increase from last year) with a 9-9-11. I wish I would've hit 30, but I guess it could've been worse since the guidebook said only 5 % of retakers with my score improved by 6. I hope some SUNY interviews me although my GPA is a little low because I feel I can wow them with that. I will be applying DO and some reach MD schools. A lot of it is what you put into it (in med school) so don't let this test get you down. To those who didnt do as well as you had hoped, if I can improve, so can you. I guarantee you that and I'm sure you will, tanner and Grady specifically. Good luck all!

Thanks bud. I know I can do better. Maybe it was nerves maybe it was lack of prep. Idk. I have to think I can improve because I got a 30 on AAMC 9 & 10. Something went wrong and I will redeem myself.

To those who achieved their goals...I hate you. lol...I'm jk. I'm really excited for you and hope to work with some of you some day. 4/26 group has been epic and I'm sad that I will have to join another thread soon. I wanted to move through with you guys.

Thank you, Albein, and congrats to you too. That's a big jump. Celebrate!

I went from a 26 to a 35. So you do have it in you to make that score or higher.

This exam is a beast, I suck at standard exam
This my score, from last year from 08/2012
10/04/10

My score this year from 04/26/13 is 8/8/8. I don't feel like taking it any more, I hope this get me into DO school, My cGPA is 3.41 sGPA is 3.7, currently working at least 45 hrs a week and shadowing a DO about 4 to 6 hours a month.

Your 24 is the best 24 you could have wished for (balanced). Your GPA's combined with your mcat score should get you some love in the DO world. Good luck!

AAMC Average- 36 (33-40)
Previous Tests-
5/2008- 28 (9/8/11) expired
5/2012- 27 (7/10/10)
Post Test Feeling- 31 (12/10/9)

Actual MCAT- 36 (13/11/12)

I've had this monkey on my back for over 5 years. I can't express how good it feels to finally reach my goal. Hell, blow past my goal! It really did take a solid commitment with a clean schedule outside of work. I think most of us try to treat this test like an OCHEM final and keep our other 5 classes/things/responsibilities going at the same time. That's what I did. It took the realization that if I wanted medicine to be my life I needed to make the MCAT my life. 3 months later. 36.

Time for cold beer, old scotch, and some tears. :laugh:

I guess I'll be the one to break up all this happiness: I got a 24- 10PS, 8VR, 6BS (I suspect others who didn't do as well don't want to post their scores)

Congrats to all those who achieved their goals! Suffice it to say I got what I deserved. Taking classes while studying for MCAT is not a good idea, so I kind of expected to not do so hot (plus I only took 1 FL before the real thing). Luckily I have been busting balls on the SN2ed schedule for the past month and I know that I can do better next time.

Its funny because I thought I got murdered by PS and that BS went really well, but I guess your post test feelings mean nothing.

See you again on August 15th, MCAT.

I'm very sorry for your disappointment. Last year, I was more disappointed when I received 20, so don't beat yourself too hard. For some of us, it takes more than one try to get it done with. At least now you have an idea of how the real thing looks like. On the bright side, we are still early in the application season, so if you retake in August, and score well, you will definitely have a good shot at getting interviews. Your score would have been acceptable if you didn't score 6 on the BS section, but you could still submit your application with the intention of retaking. Like that, you could have your application verified and ready once you get back your retake score. Don't lose hope. You are only two points away from the average for DO. I was able to improve my score by 8 points, so improving yours by 2 shouldn't be too hard. Just focus your strength now on bio. Do the TPRH SW and ICC books and read some pubmed articles and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

39!
This was the upper range of my AAMC scores, so I guess I can't complain about the AAMCs being too easy.
12p 12v 15b
Congrats to everyone who doesn't have to face this miserable beast again.

Wow on that awesome score and a bigger wow for that 15 in bio.