The Official 4/26/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clothcut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of the other threads popping up, I thought it'd be good for those of us taking the test to identify ourselves :thumbup:

I'm not planning on following a rigid study schedule until January, but I think I'm going to watch a single video off of wikipremed daily to lightly review.

Good luck to everyone... we will crush this exam..

Members don't see this ad.

How many questions in BS and PS did you know you definitely got wrong after the test? From what you remembered.

PS there were probably 3 or 4, but one (as mentioned before in this thread) didn't have a proper answer. In terms of biology I only got one wrong for sure that I remember and I felt shaky on multiple but had no way of looking up the answers on google or in my books. Hope that helps!:oops:

Sorry for my late response, but I just got a chance to respond.

Since you are fine with DO, I suggest you submit your AACOMAS as early as possible (aka next week).

I am working on it... my goal is to submit by 6/10 if not earlier... my PS and CV still needs some work

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working on it... my goal is to submit by 6/10 if not earlier... my PS and CV still needs some work

Where is a CV (curriculum vitae I assume) required in the application process. I see no requirements in AMCAS? Am I missing something?

Well, you enter your experiences with short explanations. That's kind of like a CV.
But no, you don't attach one anywhere.

Ahh the one downside to applying early... is having to wait longer till interview season.

Lol I spent last couple hours researching my competitiveness at UTH/UTSW/BCM

still nowhere conclusive :confused:

Ahh the one downside to applying early... is having to wait longer till interview season.

Lol I spent last couple hours researching my competitiveness at UTH/UTSW/BCM

still nowhere conclusive :confused:

dude...you are going to be just fine. I would give a testicle and a kidney to have your stats.

dude...you are going to be just fine. I would give a testicle and a kidney to have your stats.

I think I saved a testicle and kidney(skipping out on the drinking to study) for my stats lol

Study hard for your retake and I think you wont have to give up your organs to get a good score :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Has anyone here successfully submitted their MCAT scores to AACOMAS yet? I've submitted it twice and my MCAT score still hasn't been received.

Has anyone here successfully submitted their MCAT scores to AACOMAS yet? I've submitted it twice and my MCAT score still hasn't been received.

I submitted mine last week. How long are they supposed to take to be received? We submit them via AAMC right? I wonder where the hold up is.

Where is a CV (curriculum vitae I assume) required in the application process. I see no requirements in AMCAS? Am I missing something?

I consider the work and activities as a CV... it is not really... I probably will bring my CV to my interviews though as I have way to many publications and presentations to add to AMCAS... and probably AACOMAS. Even though there is no limit on AACOMAS... I feel like it is annoying for me to post everything... :-/ I don't want to come off as arrogant.... being like look at me I work at NIH therefore I have a million citations... :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine last week. How long are they supposed to take to be received? We submit them via AAMC right? I wonder where the hold up is.

Ok, I was getting worried that only my scores were taking a long time to be received by AACOMAS. I'm not sure why it takes so long...

Jon Stewart is an angry man. :)

Stephen T. Colbert is where it's at.
Hes good but Stewart is an entire magnitude greater than him. At least.

The funny thing is that a lot of republicans think that Colbert is defending them, when he is clearly making fun of them. Love his satire.

Is our Skype group finished? No one has written a message in quite some time.

No its not. there were some posts yesterday and the day before...

I dub our skype group "The Brain Trust" :cool:

Honestly it was a ton of content review, which I think most people would avise against...I read my princeton review bio book 2.5 times and the kaplan one once. And I'm almost 100% sure that most of the one really hard orgo passage we had had to be experimental. But the most helpful thing I did was go through my old FL's - not just the questions I got wrong, but EVERY question and passage. In terms of test taking this helped me the most.

which FL's did you use?.. thanks

Did anyone else get a much lower score on BS than expected? :(

I walked out thinking I got an 11 on BS. I ended up with an 8. I never scored below a 10 on any of the AAMC FL's. idk wtf happened that day.

I did. Got a 6 on BS even though O-chem is easily my strongest subject and I felt great about that section coming out of the test.

I walked out thinking I got an 11 on BS. I ended up with an 8. I never scored below a 10 on any of the AAMC FL's. idk wtf happened that day.

Yall will do better on the retake now that you know what this newer version of BS loks like.

Yall will do better on the retake now that you know what this newer version of BS loks like.

Well, there is still no practice material out there that accurately reflects the new BS section. I wish I would have been around during the physio BS days

Well, there is still no practice material out there that accurately reflects the new BS section. I wish I would have been around during the physio BS days

I've seen a lot of people say TPRH bio is the closest. I have done quite a few of those passages and a lot of TBR and they each have the occasional passages that feels like what I saw on the real thing. The advanced passages in TPRH SW and most of the TPR ICC bio seem closest imo.

I've seen a lot of people say TPRH bio is the closest. I have done quite a few of those passages and a lot of TBR and they each have the occasional passages that feels like what I saw on the real thing. The advanced passages in TPRH SW and most of the TPR ICC bio seem closest imo.

The only thing that seemed even close to me was the official guidebook and the two passages from AAMC #11. IDK, maybe I'll just start reading pubmed articles. I just want aceing this test to be as easy as aceing every test I had in undergraduate. I would just put the work in and get results - that didn't work for MCAT. Either way, I'll improve my score, get into an awesome DO program, and be happy that I have the opportunity to heal people one day. My philosophies are more close to DO anyway since I studied Ayurvedic medical systems in undergraduate which is also very holistic.

I've been MIA but I got an 11 on physical, 10 on bio and 8 on verbal. Its funny because after the test I felt awful about PS and BS and felt great about the verbal. I barely studied ochem so I'm stunned. Anywho, been working on my apps. I wish everyone the best of luck!!

I've been MIA but I got an 11 on physical, 10 on bio and 8 on verbal. Its funny because after the test I felt awful about PS and BS and felt great about the verbal. I barely studied ochem so I'm stunned. Anywho, been working on my apps. I wish everyone the best of luck!!

congrats man!

I waited almost 7 hours after the scores were posted to fly back and see it with my parents - but it was worth it!!

AAMC Practice Test Scores (PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3: 10/12/8 - 30
AAMC 5: 10/11/8 - 29
AAMC 7: 10/10/10 - 30
AAMC 9: 11/10/11 - 32
AAMC 8: 11/13/14 - 38
AAMC 10: 12/10/12 - 34

Before I took 8 or 10 I hadn't done much of any content review. I essentially wasted all those AAMC's which made me nervous :( But I had access to Kaplan and took 4 tests scoring, 34, 36, 39, and 39 much after my content review. I was really nervous because everyone on here talked about how the Kaplan FLs were inflated (which I agreed with, but tried to convince myself of otherwise).

I left the real thing feeling great about verbal, fine about PS and worried about BS. I really wanted above a 35, and my gut feelings were the opposite of the real thing.

Actual MCAT: 12/10/15 - 37

I have no idea what happened on verbal - but with a 15 in bio, I couldn't care less. I'm ecstatic about my score - congrats to everyone who reached their goals!!

TedBuckland, you're making me feel better about the scores I'm awaiting for 6/18. I felt concerned about BS (normally get 14-15), felt okay about PS, and felt very good about verbal. Hopefully this is what pans out for me too. Hopefully...

Hi all,
Hope apps are going well. I was reviewing my app and just confused myself. For the credit hours, what do we include? I have credits earned for chem as 4.5 but contact hours as 10 hours (time spent in class/lab per week). I enter the 4.5 correct?

For #12 on PS AAMC 11 that was earlier in this thread...I understand the approach where we only consider the molecular weight and that the species with the maximum number of moles in 25g will be the one that produces the most pressure (H20's 18g/mol has over 1 mole for this, while CO2's 44g/mol has about half of a mole for this). So I understand this reasoning, but I'm wondering why we don't consider the stoichiometric coefficients in Reaction 1 because those are the products of Reaction 1, which is what the question in asking us about.

Basically, why do we ignore the stoichiometric coefficients for this problem?

For #12 on PS AAMC 11 that was earlier in this thread...I understand the approach where we only consider the molecular weight and that the species with the maximum number of moles in 25g will be the one that produces the most pressure (H20's 18g/mol has over 1 mole for this, while CO2's 44g/mol has about half of a mole for this). So I understand this reasoning, but I'm wondering why we don't consider the stoichiometric coefficients in Reaction 1 because those are the products of Reaction 1, which is what the question in asking us about.

Basically, why do we ignore the stoichiometric coefficients for this problem?

This question, while worded like it has something to do with the experiment, in truth does not. It is simply asking which container of 25g of gas exerts the most pressure. There is no reaction taking place. The answer, then, is the gas with the lowest molar mass. Since we have left the realm of the experiment, the stoichiometric coefficients do not apply either.

This question, while worded like it has something to do with the experiment, in truth does not. It is simply asking which container of 25g of gas exerts the most pressure. There is no reaction taking place. The answer, then, is the gas with the lowest molar mass. Since we have left the realm of the experiment, the stoichiometric coefficients do not apply either.

This..

Also just divide 25g/MM to find the most moles.

you should know that more moles = higher P via the ideal gas law.

Hey guys,

I posted this elsewhere on SDN.... but you all have been so awesome so I thought that I would ask you too:

I feel so close to submitting my AMCAS and AACOMAS application that I have working on since late April. I submitted it to my pre-med committee for them to review and here was their response:

"The variety of experiences you present in your application are impressive. You paint a wonderful picture of your journey to this path through the various positions you have held. Though your personal statement addresses the source of your passion for this field (which is very important) as well as relevant experience, as a reviewer I want to know more about your personal journey. It may be helpful to integrate the fact that you are a re-applicant with a heavy focus on how you have grown and what makes you a strong candidate now. It is clear that you have had a wealth of experience in the field, appreciate teamwork and community, and understand the underlying issues in healthcare. Why would this make you a better doctor? Though I feel your personal statement is excellent, I think integrating some self reflection would truly personalize this story. You write eloquently and effectively about what you have learned from your experiences, and I think discussing how these experiences influenced your growth as a future physician and changed you as a person would further individualize this application. Again, this is only a suggestion."

I think that they have good ideas but I am not sure how to incorporate them without drastically changing my personal statement. My personal statement has been rewritten like 100X. The DO school application only has a character count of 4,500 (which I am really close to) and I have some wiggle room on my MD application.

But also I am not sure how to answer the question. I graduated in 2007 and I first applied to MD/DO schools in 2006/2007. Even though, I did awesome in undergrad with a 3.78 GPA in Biochemistry and Psychology. I had a really low MCAT score and my mom was completely against me going to medical school because of the rigors, debt, etc. (However, I handled undergrad very well despite her concerns.) Even though, I wanted to retry, I was very discouraged at the time. I ended up putting my medical school dreams on a shelf for the time being. I spent the last 5 years or so rediscovering that I want to go to medical school after exploring other careers and being involved in research at NIH. I also got some real life experience because I did not have a stable job for 2 years and served to pay the bills.

I thought about being a PA, a teacher, a professor, getting just a masters in public health. But after mulling over all of these professions, which I think are great, I think being a physician will allow me to do all of these things. Physicians are healers, educators, community workers/improvers/advocates, innovators, and so much more. Almost every physician I met is amazing and I want to be just like them. They are great people persons, so smart, etc. I definitely discuss about how I want to emulate the great physicians that I know in my essays.

I could talk about this a little bit but how would I do it without bringing up my struggles. I don't want to be negative in my application. I already discuss overcoming childhood ADD with the help of amazing physicians who changed my life. I felt these past 5 years have been hard for me because I spent A LOT of time lost. I realize now that it has made me a stronger and more mature person. However, I don't want the medical committee be concerned that I am unsure, etc.

Also, I was wondering is this the type of thing that I can put in a meaningful experience essay or could I include this in all of my secondaries? I am concerned about time and having to drastically change my personal statements.

Another thing that I actually proud of is my MCAT score. Only because I scored a 20 in 2006 and I scored a 27 (9PS, 8VR, 10BS) in April 2013. Which I know is not the best score (I did have some anxiety on test day and I plan on retaking in late July/early August) but I have been studying since August 2012 and I RELEARNED everything all on my own using books and you tube videos. It was a massive undertaking for me and I am proud of myself. I actually enjoy studying for the MCAT (I am weird I know... but it is fun...) I just wish I had more time to devote to it since I work a full time job and I have been focusing on my application these past 2 months. I really want to get back to studying for the MCAT hardcore like before.

So yeah... I would love all your advice... I really want to submit my applications ASAP so I can get back to hardcore studying for the MCAT but I also want to submit a strong application so I get in this year.

I am a 27 (almost 28) year old female so the sooner the better but I also want to go to the best school for me. I want to stay in the north east, MD/DC/VA area if possible. I am also into primary care and right now I am interested in going into family medicine or pediatrics. I didn't mention that on my application though because I was not sure how to properly justify it properly and I know that medical students probably change their minds a million times.

I am also a URM, if that matters. Second-generation Puerto Rican from both my mother and father side.

Any advice that you could give me would be awesome. Thank you so much for all your help.

So any others in here besides me and o grady that are retaking?

Me.. are you retaking? When? I need to get back to studying... work and applications have been eating all my time... what about you? I think I lost access to the majority of my AAMC exams. :-/ I am planning on buying the Berkeley Review exams and I have access to on-line assessments on Princeton review... Princeton review offers a lot of free things.

What are your plans?

If you're happy with your personal statement, maybe say something about the reapplicant stuff in your most meaningful experiences (assuming one has been in the last 5 years).
Talk about how it reaffirmed your journey and all that.

Sooo I finally get to share my story.
I took my first MCAT on january 2012 and I got 19 (8,6,6). I was so devastated and felt like quitting but wtf is life for without some struggles right?
I studied my ass off for 4 weeks... At least about 8 hours a day just for MCAT plus school stuff (full time chemistry major). I got 28 on this MCAT (PS:11, VR:8, BS:9). My target score was 30, but I'm still happy with my score.

For everyone out there, never give up on your dream. I heard so many discouraging stuff from people like "not everybody becomes a doctor", "maybe DO is the right path for you", "whats your back up plan", "why not a Ph.D school?", etc etc etc. Hearing all these stuff made me really question if I want to pursue career in medicine. I recommend anyone who is studying MCAT to GET AWAY FROM ALL PRE-MEDS! Most of them tend to be discouraging and some brag about how easy MCAT was for them. If your study partner aint doing well, it can bring you down also. I accept that Im on my own in this and it made me feel good since I had no one else to compare except myself.

Also, there is no trick to doing good on this test. Cover all the contents and get your hands on many practices as possible. If you suck at verbal like me (my first practice verbal score was 2!), read **** load of everything. NY times or time magazine has good opinion column thats similar to the length of mcat passages. No one has excuse to not do well on this test if they give everything they got. If you really want this, you would eat while studying, take a **** while studying, and go to sleep while reviewing physics questions.

Sooo I finally get to share my story.
I took my first MCAT on january 2012 and I got 19 (8,6,6). I was so devastated and felt like quitting but wtf is life for without some struggles right?
I studied my ass off for 4 weeks... At least about 8 hours a day just for MCAT plus school stuff (full time chemistry major). I got 28 on this MCAT (PS:11, VR:8, BS:9). My target score was 30, but I'm still happy with my score.

For everyone out there, never give up on your dream. I heard so many discouraging stuff from people like "not everybody becomes a doctor", "maybe DO is the right path for you", "whats your back up plan", "why not a Ph.D school?", etc etc etc. Hearing all these stuff made me really question if I want to pursue career in medicine. I recommend anyone who is studying MCAT to GET AWAY FROM ALL PRE-MEDS! Most of them tend to be discouraging and some brag about how easy MCAT was for them. If your study partner aint doing well, it can bring you down also. I accept that Im on my own in this and it made me feel good since I had no one else to compare except myself.

Also, there is no trick to doing good on this test. Cover all the contents and get your hands on many practices as possible. If you suck at verbal like me (my first practice verbal score was 2!), read **** load of everything. NY times or time magazine has good opinion column thats similar to the length of mcat passages. No one has excuse to not do well on this test if they give everything they got. If you really want this, you would eat while studying, take a **** while studying, and go to sleep while reviewing physics questions.

:thumbup:

This question goes to those who got a 30+ who initially felt like they bombed a PS or BS section:

Did any of you know for sure that you missed several (ie 5+) relatively easy questions that you just got wrong because of the pressure/spending too much time on earlier questions or calculations, and end up getting a higher PS score than you expected?

I took the 6/20 exam yesterday and I have approximately 10 questions from the PS that I either completely got wrong, or possibly got wrong b/c I had to throw up a guess in order to move on, and wasn't able to come back. Or that I just made a mistake under the pressure. On BS i have ~8 such questions.

Did anyone have a similar circumstance, and ended up doing a lot better than they had thought?

I know a lot of people feel they bombed the test, or particular sections and end up getting high scores. But after the test, did you know for sure that you got X amount of questions wrong and still get a higher score than you thought you were going to get?

So any others in here besides me and o grady that are retaking?

I might be. I am signed up anyway. I haven't studied much since out April test date because I have been busy at work and with my applications. I got a 27 (9PS, 8VR, 10BS)... I am applying mostly DO and a few MD schools. Do you think it is worth a retake? I signed up for late July and I am thinking of post-poning to early August to give myself actual time to study. What do you think? What are you using to study? I lost my access to the AAMC practice tests. :-( I was thinking of buying some of the Berkley Review practice tests.

This question goes to those who got a 30+ who initially felt like they bombed a PS or BS section:

Did any of you know for sure that you missed several (ie 5+) relatively easy questions that you just got wrong because of the pressure/spending too much time on earlier questions or calculations, and end up getting a higher PS score than you expected?

I took the 6/20 exam yesterday and I have approximately 10 questions from the PS that I either completely got wrong, or possibly got wrong b/c I had to throw up a guess in order to move on, and wasn't able to come back. Or that I just made a mistake under the pressure. On BS i have ~8 such questions.

Did anyone have a similar circumstance, and ended up doing a lot better than they had thought?

I know a lot of people feel they bombed the test, or particular sections and end up getting high scores. But after the test, did you know for sure that you got X amount of questions wrong and still get a higher score than you thought you were going to get?
Yes, after taking the 4/26 MCAT I thought I totally bombed the PS section and ended up with an 11. I also guessed on around 10 questions. You have to factor in the fact that there are some test questions that they throw in that won't count towards your score and test day feelings that you're doomed.
And I know everyone says this, but it's true that you probably did better than you think! The best thing to do is not worry about it anymore and focus on other aspects of your application... unless you're trying to decide whether to sign up for a retake now?

Me.. are you retaking? When? I need to get back to studying... work and applications have been eating all my time... what about you? I think I lost access to the majority of my AAMC exams. :-/ I am planning on buying the Berkeley Review exams and I have access to on-line assessments on Princeton review... Princeton review offers a lot of free things.

What are your plans?
Hey tinylilron, I agree that if you think your personal statement illustrates who you are, then you should keep it the way it is and address the personal growth issue in "most meaningful" experiences or secondaries. Your story sounds compelling the way it is.
Just my opinion!

Hey tinylilron, I agree that if you think your personal statement illustrates who you are, then you should keep it the way it is and address the personal growth issue in "most meaningful" experiences or secondaries. Your story sounds compelling the way it is.
Just my opinion!

Awesome! Thanks! :) This is what I sort of included for my most recent meaningful experiences to sort of hint that my current experiences are clinical and have motivated me to become a physician:

Clinical Research Coordinator Description (Paid Employment- Medical/Clinical)
The laboratory conducts studies characterizing the pharmacology of alcohol in humans using behavioral, neuroendocrine, electrophysiological and functional imaging measures.

My roles include:
*coordinating studies in social and high-risk drinkers to evaluate genetic and environmental risk factors influencing the acute and adaptive responses to alcohol
*conducting a study to examine alcohol self-administration behavior using a computer-assisted intravenous paradigm
*administering computerized tasks, scales, and clinical instruments to collect behavioral, physiological and psychomotor data for the studies
*analyzing data to develop posters and presentations at scientific conferences

Meaningful essay (1307 characters)
My favorite part of this position is working on a clinical research team, and interacting, one-on-one, with human research participants with and without family histories of alcoholism. I have developed the skills to perform structured clinical interview for psychiatric disorders and IQ tests, as well as behavioral assessments of drinking history, family history of alcoholism, smoking and adverse childhood experiences. The opportunity to interact and conduct clinical evaluations has been a privilege and a revelation into mental illness and addiction.

I have gained valuable insights into the factors that contribute to the development of mental disorders and addiction, such as genetics and epigenetics, and how this knowledge can be used to develop better treatments for these disorders. I have learned that psychiatric disorders, like most health care issues, involve many areas of medicine including pharmacology and biochemistry, as well as socio-cultural factors. Thus, it is critical to approach these disorders with a multi-faceted approach including medical, psychological, and social aspects, in order to best serve the needs of our patients. This experience has increased my fascination with medicine and motivated me to become a physician so that I can provide quality care to the community.

So what do you think? I am just afraid that my re-applicant/non-trad story is way too whiny... in the end I became a more mature, self-aware, and (hopefully) stronger candidate for medical school. I think life experiences will make me a better doctor because I can relate to the challenges of life better than a traditional applicant who went straight from undergrad to medical school without experiencing work or real life. In my real story, I experienced a lot of bumps and disappointment with my previous horrible MCAT score and medical school application in 2006 and some struggles to get a job, etc. It was a bad economy and I needed to grow up and that I did. I am here now and ready to begin medical school. :)

Yes, after taking the 4/26 MCAT I thought I totally bombed the PS section and ended up with an 11. I also guessed on around 10 questions. You have to factor in the fact that there are some test questions that they throw in that won't count towards your score and test day feelings that you're doomed.
And I know everyone says this, but it's true that you probably did better than you think! The best thing to do is not worry about it anymore and focus on other aspects of your application... unless you're trying to decide whether to sign up for a retake now?

Hey thanks, that definitely helps! The only thing about the experimental thing is that i got a mixture of both easy and hard questions wrong, and also had to make some educated guesses on both easy and hard questions. It's so hard not to dwell on your performance haha, especially so early after the test. Maybe in a few more days, after hanging out with friends and playing some ball, I'll be able to relax haha.

Thanks again!