The Official 4/26/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clothcut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of the other threads popping up, I thought it'd be good for those of us taking the test to identify ourselves :thumbup:

I'm not planning on following a rigid study schedule until January, but I think I'm going to watch a single video off of wikipremed daily to lightly review.

Good luck to everyone... we will crush this exam..

Members don't see this ad.

Just checked AAMC's twitter account to see if scores were posted early (wishful thinking, but seriously...they have been before) and saw this little lovely message:

MCAT ‏@AAMC_MCAT 3h

@jbold002 Scores will be released this week. Tentative release date is scheduled for tomorrow 5/29. See http://ow.ly/lsFoT

I bet they're just making us nervous so that we're excited when they come out on time! :p

"If anyone didn't think the Bio passages were challenging, they are either extremely good at doing bio, or they were misled big time. No gray area. The passages I encountered are multiple folds harder than the infamous Ebola passage."

If you don't mind me asking (and I'm not sure how much detail we're allowed to go into), what parts of bio did you find troubling? I thought the o-chem was hard, but that was about it...

While reading the passages, I didn't think they were inherently difficult, but as I was doing the questions, I often felt that I either misunderstood a pathway or lacked the sufficient info to answer the question. The answer choice were very difficult to subject to POE. On many occasions, I was left with two equally plausible answers. Besides, the question stems and the answer options were very long and the word choice used was extremely convoluted. I missed one discrete question just because I didn't understand the meaning of one trivial word that had nothing to do with the topic but was important to understand in order to know what the question was asking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you're going to look at the score yourself :laugh: I'm making a friend open them for me....I can't handle it. I might pass out. :scared:

That sounds like an even better idea. The friend I would have look might troll me though -_- like he has in the past when I ask him to check scores for me.

I have been pretty calm throughout this past month. Starting last night, however, my paranoia center has been overactive. I don't want to go through this again. Quite frankly, I don't think I could survive another bout of this.

So true. I had two dreams last night about the MCAT score release. What was weird was that I had to climb the space needle to use a computer to find out what I got. But by the time I reached the top, a tornado hit and I couldn't find out my score =(

While reading the passages, I didn't think they were inherently difficult, but as I was doing the questions, I often felt that I either misunderstood a pathway or lacked the sufficient info to answer the question. The answer choice were very difficult to subject to POE. On many occasions, I was left with two equally plausible answers. Besides, the question stems and the answer options were very long and the word choice used was extremely convoluted. I missed one discrete question just because I didn't understand the meaning of one trivial word that had nothing to do with the topic but was important to understand in order to know what the question was asking about.

I know what you feel man. I had the same feeling after my MCAT the first time around. I think you really have to be exposed to that type of biology passage beforehand to be able to do well on it.

I have family all over the world that have been asking me about my scores every week since April 26 despite the fact that I keep telling them how long it takes. But I have been rebuking the devil; I refuse to get an anxiety attack over my results that I'm sure have been prepared since.

One more day yal!!! Then we'll all be certain. Orgo was a nutcracker, I felt as though I was crosseyed/deer in headlights/tapped into a secret part of my brain for five hours after the exam.

(This is my first post since April 26, but I've surely been reading the heavy emotions posted!) One more day and hour!)

I definitely will have my husband around when I check my scores because I will faint for victory out of joy!!! I'm just trusting in the Lord!!!

This is my official posting— an emotional mixer

I have family all over the world that have been asking me about my scores every week since April 26 despite the fact that I keep telling them how long it takes. But I have been rebuking the devil; I refuse to get an anxiety attack over my results that I'm sure have been prepared since.

One more day yal!!! Then we'll all be certain. Orgo was a nutcracker, I felt as though I was crosseyed/deer in headlights/tapped into a secret part of my brain for five hours after the exam.

(This is my first post since April 26, but I've surely been reading the heavy emotions posted!) One more day and hour!)

I definitely will have my husband around when I check my scores because I will faint for victory out of joy!!! I'm just trusting in the Lord!!!

This is my official posting— an emotional mixer

I've had the same thing too. Everyone In the ED has been asking me about it and I just say soon even though I knew all along what date id get them.

have the scores been coming out consistently at 3pm? because it says 5 on the site but it seems that everyone thinks theyll come out at 3

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get under a 32, I might delay my application and take a gap year.

That's a very strong statement, buddy. 32 is an awesome score despite that it may not be enough for your school of choice. In my opinion, if you ever get rejected it is not going to be because of a balanced 32.

That's a very strong statement, buddy. 32 is an awesome score despite that it may not be enough for your school of choice. In my opinion, if you ever get rejected it is not going to be because of a balanced 32.

It depends on other matters too.

I have a 3.5c/3.4sGPA so a 32 would be 'meh', but a 35-37 would make me much more competitive.

I do of course have a 3.87 SMP GPA, but different schools weigh it differently.

Just 3/4 of a day more :D

It depends on other matters too.

I have a 3.5c/3.4sGPA so a 32 would be 'meh', but a 35-37 would make me much more competitive.

I do of course have a 3.87 SMP GPA, but different schools weigh it differently.

Just 3/4 of a day more :D

Of the remaining time, I will be working (8hrs), sleeping (7hrs), and doing other stuff that take ~2hrs. Technically, my waiting time is only ~45mins, assuming they release the scores at 3:15ET

I have a 3.60 cGPA and a 3.59 sGPA. I'm also from Maryland, whose only public school (UMD) had average acceptance stats of 3.80/32 according to the MSAR. This is also a retake and I scored an unbalanced 30 last time so if I can't get at least 2 points over my previous try, I don't think it's gonna look that good.

pretty much 28+ could even get in with 3.6 gpa to med schools around the country as long as your well rounded/interview well have good extra currics etc.

So true. I had two dreams last night about the MCAT score release. What was weird was that I had to climb the space needle to use a computer to find out what I got. But by the time I reached the top, a tornado hit and I couldn't find out my score =(

At least it was the space needle, could have been Columbia Building. ;)

I have not had any MCAT dreams but I've had assorted dreams ending in my demise, which I don't remember ever having before. These included being in the middle of a lake someone set on fire (not sure how exactly that worked?), getting stabbed by a stranger on the street or being in the middle of a nuclear explosion. While somewhat entertaining, I'd rather be done with those...

+1. :thumbup::thumbup:

It is the best I have seen describing the real test questions & this is why everybody came out having different opinions as we all have different background as baseline to interpret those questions that contain strange verbs, overlap adjectives and space wasting adverbs.
Those words, when they were used to saturate all the choice of answers, made it very long, very difficult and there are times very confused for people to analyze the facts with clear mind "if you don't get used" to read these types of wordy "lines".

It is 7 hours and about 10-15 minutes and counting! (it has been many times about 3:05 to 3:15)

Good Luck, folks

Had a normal sleep surprisingly but panic is picking up. I just hope I improve significantly from my first go around. Good luck all!

I haven't had any of the bad dreams yet, but I keep having dreams that I got some amazing score. I think it's almost worse that way, because any score I get is probably a let down from my dreams of 40+

The stupid mcat review book just made me queasy because it showed majority of people with 23 only improve by 3-4 points, tops :scared:

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack waiting for this. A complete random predict based on I felt that day... 28 (9/9/10). I am praying I am wrong...I just hope I can score somewhere around my average on the practice tests (33).

I'm going to predict a 27 and hope for the best. Good luck everyone, just don't feel queasy and know that your score has already been decided. Nothing you can do will change that fact. Keep moving on with your life and in 4-6 years you will be a doctor. Cheers and I wish everyone the best!

I was supposed to join you guys, but I chickened out and voided because of the PS section.

Just wanted to wish you all luck!!!

And if you get a chance (and are willing), please post your real scores vs. aamc scores vs. how you felt after the exam.

Have you retaken or are you going to retake soon? If so, when?

I'm going to predict a 27 and hope for the best. Good luck everyone, just don't feel queasy and know that your score has already been decided. Nothing you can do will change that fact. Keep moving on with your life and in 4-6 years you will be a doctor. Cheers and I wish everyone the best!

THATS the spirit !

I'm from Texas and just graduated with 3.90 gpa. What do y'all think I need on mcat to get into school?

My friend had a 3.98 GPA and an MCAT of 27... she applied late and only to 4 MD schools... she got accepted at 3 of them and waitlisted at one... so I guess high GPA can really beat a low MCAT score.... :)

I only have a 3.78 though

LOL today. Oh well, I guess as long as you get it in before the end of June you should be good.
I submitted mine the 18th and I am still waiting... Sadly though I am going to be waiting on my transcripts longer because the community college decided to sit on my request until I called since it has been almost three weeks and said "oh we forgot about that one" we will try to send it out friday.... *grumble grumble*... oh well I don't think applying a few days late will kill our chances! =) good luck!!!

Does anyone remember that one question from the 4/26 PS section that had no correct answer choice? I remember some people wrote complaints to the AAMC - did we ever get a response from them? How will this affect our scores?

Does anyone remember that one question from the 4/26 PS section that had no correct answer choice? I remember some people wrote complaints to the AAMC - did we ever get a response from them? How will this affect our scores?

I believe we assumed it was experimental in that they were testing wrong answers.