The Official 3/23/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start this one out. I'll be registering for the MCAT first thing tomorrow. Who else is taking it on this date? How do you all plan on studying over the school year?

Members don't see this ad.

redwings celebration.jpg

SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better than my theoretical maximum, see my stats below.

Actual Score March 23rd, 2013:

PS: 11
VR: 11 (never scored above 9 on practice exam)
BS: 12

I'm not judging but just curious...you're on SDN and I'm sure you're extremely nervous to get your score back. Why did you walk in with 30 mins of sleep to take the test? To nervous to sleep? Neurotic studying the last day?? I don't how people do this...

kk, here's my final stuff for those thread watchers.

AAMC 7: practice for first attempt
PS: 11
VR: 7
BS: 11

AAMC 9: Practice for 1st attempt
PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 10

AAMC 10: BEFORE STUDYING
PS: 8
BS: 9

AAMC 11: practice for 1st attempt
BS: 9

Actual MCAT (First take)

VR: 8
BS: 10
Wr: S or T can't remember (I don't think T exists actually so S)

AAMC 8: Only test left to practice for retake so most recent
VR: 9
BS: 11

AAMC Average: (n=5; diag AAMC 10 not included)

PS: 10.2
VR: 7.8
BS: 10.2

=28.2 AAMC Average (kind of skewed because only one test came after I studied for a retake)

technically my AAMC average after retake is 30 (n=1).

My prediction:

PS: 10 (plz plz plz)
VR: 9 (plz plz plz)
BS: 11 (plz plz plz)

Today's Actual Results:

Last edited:
first time in 2011:

PS: 9 VR: 6 BS: 10 25

March - PS: 10 VR: 10 BS: 11 31

This is ridiculous. I think I have to retake this test. Sorry NEG :\

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn.....

12 PS 9 VR 9 BS

Unfortunately, one of my schools has a 9 min in each category but the other bases their MCAT portion of admission entirely on VR which I've never gotten below 10 on a practice.

So back at it for June unfortunately.....

This is really killing me right now, desperately wanted to be done with it. At least it wasn't a 10 in VR which would have made me question whether I should re-do, now I have no choice.

I actually felt really good about it. It felt easier than AAMC11 for me (which I got 10/10/10 on) and I am overly excited to be done studying.

PS: I made up one calculation, otherwise most of it went decently, but I had to really logic out a few answers. Finished with 5 mins left to spare.

VR: One terrible passage took me over 10 minutes. Loved another passage though; very thought-provoking. Finished with 10 seconds left as usual :laugh:

BS: Felt way easier than the usual BS on the practice tests. Hit most of my strengths (or so I think). Finished with about 5 mins left and took my time.

Practice AAMC average: 31.6

I'm feeling a 11/10/12 or so. I owe a lot of it to this forum for support. I wasn't feeling it at all yesterday, but I was confident going into the test thanks to you guys. I made a bunch of bad jokes with the other examinees, made up a bunch of answers on the trial section (which was extremely hard lol - I only felt like I nailed 2 questions), and ate a lot of grapes. I never want to do that again, but I will still look back on today fondly, no matter what the outcome. :thumbup:

Just found my prediction. Pretty close estimate thurr. 11/10/12 vs 11/11/12 :love:

I understand. That of course entails more than an above average MCAT score, so you may still be significantly better off than the average applicant even with a 32. I think it just depends on what level of competitiveness you're aiming for in a school. If you don't care about school prestige or selectiveness, a 32 isn't holding you back from getting in. If you want to go to a top 20 school? Hitting your average with a 35 would put you in a much better position.

Thanks so much!
I think I want to retake :/ I'm personally pretty disappointed in myself and I feel like I could do much better. Also being Asian doens't help, you know?

i have no probs going DO so i think i will apply anyways :p but thanks guys!

Good choice imo. I would totally go DO if it was cheaper.

Honestly, the DO docs I work with are more chill and look younger than the MDs for their age, but n=1.

Thanks so much!
I think I want to retake :/ I'm personally pretty disappointed in myself and I feel like I could do much better. Also being Asian doens't help, you know?

I absolutely understand. Everyone has different personal standards and if you're not satisfied with your performance then you have the right to retake to try and better it regardless of how other people might perceive your score. (Personally I'd want to retake too with your average)

Good luck!

VR:9
PS:12
BS:10
Total: 31

Was averaging a 35 in practice tests, so most likely will be retaking it also.

Most weird part about this, my scores usually went highest to lowest: BS-VR-PS :confused:. Guess i should've saved some energy food for Bio

Members don't see this ad :)
14p / 11v / 11b = 36

Mixed emotions, pretty disappointed. At least it is one point better in Bio and Physical than my first mcat. Same verbal score.

I'm busy now so I can't discuss at the moment. Will report back later.

14p / 11v / 11b = 36

Mixed emotions, pretty disappointed. At least it is one point better in Bio and Physical than my first mcat. Same verbal score.

I'm sorry man, but I still think you have much better chances this year.

Don't even know what to say. I got 29, 31, 29, 31, 33, 33. Got an 8/7/11. Never got worse than a 10 on VR. Sorry to be a downer, but I thought I'd post. Best of luck to you all.

14p / 11v / 11b = 36

36 is a great score!

I would be willing to do almost anything to have a 36 :p

Oh the humanity!!
~740 hours of dedicated study time and an unquantified amount of undedicated to get a 30.
12 VR, 11 BS, 7 PS...I wish there was a middle finger emoticon to properly show that PS score what I truly think of it. Whatever. I'm going to take it and run!! I wouldn't go to an Ivy League school of they paid me, anyway ;)

One other thing I failed to mention earlier is that I'm a non-trad who took most of these classes 6-7 years ago. Just wanted to throw that in...:smuggrin:

36!!!!!

12/12/12

averaged a 31.5 on my aamc practice tests (6 tests) and my highest score was a 33..once.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: 1 user
Right after test:

I got a 31.

PS 12 - VR 8 - BS 11.

I'm satisfied. I'm going to the same school regardless of what score I got (out-of-state fees are a bitch). My MCAT + GPA will surely get me in, I'm just not sure what to do about early decision. I realize there are people who would kill for a 31 and people with bigger problems than that so I will shut up.

You going in-state? I'm sort of planning the same...

Hey guys, first time posting. I got a 42, higher than all my practice tests!! I am ecstatic right now. Best of luck to everybody!!

14p / 11v / 11b = 36

I honestly wish I could vouch for you, but sadly that's not the way it works.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the support over the past few months, thread! I was a lurker, and a grateful one. 15/11/14, 40 total. This test baffles me. Thought I did really well on VR and bombed the sciences... but not complaining, just bemused.

people with 30+ please go and post your studying habits and what materials you used in the "30+ MCAT study Habits" section. Thanks :)

Congrats! Any tips for those of us testing this week? Did you do anything different on test day?

Take advantage of every break possible, and remember that the test won't start without you, even if you take more than your allotted break time because there might be long lines to get back in or something.

Also I thought it was super useful to get foam ear plugs. The headphones they give you won't cancel out all noise, but a combination of the ear plugs + headphones really made the testing environment super quiet.

Most importantly, don't stress. Even if you think you did poorly on one section. I thought for sure I had BOMBED the PS section because I actually ran out of time and I'm pretty sure I didn't even get to guess on 1 or 2 of the questions. But I took my break, gathered my thoughts, ate some snacks, sipped some water, and just tried to block that last section out of my mind. Just remember that each section is a clean slate.

Good luck!!!!!

That's awesome! Congrats to the 40 I saw earlier, too!!

Thanks! :D

First post on SDN!

So I've been reading over the past few weeks a lot about the MCAT on here. First time test taker here.

Took it this morning and here's what I thought:

PS: I thought there were one or two difficult chem. passages and some difficult physics, but the chem is really what worries me. The early chem. passages messed up my timing so I was rushed for the rest of the section and barely finished in time, which may have hurt me.

VR: I thought this was pretty straight forward and similar to the practice tests. The answer choices didn't seem as tricky as many of the practice test answers, so hopefully my score will reflect that. Was a little pressed for time, which I am usually not at all.

BS: I have a bio heavy background and thought all the bio was easy, even though I def. saw tricky answers that I caught myself fixing (and some maybe I didn't). I was stupid and left one blank by accident, though, since right when I was about to click the answer the time ran out! But I am not going to let that bother me, it's done. The orgo. wasn't too bad, one or two of the orgo. discreets were tricky in that I suck at orgo.

On the AAMC practice tests I was scoring between (31-35) averaging about 32.5, but depending on what other people thought of this test it can go either way. My prediction is
PS 9-10 - VR - 10-11 BS - 11-12

So range from 30-33, averaging 31.5. I really have no idea though, since I've never taken an official MCAT before. I'm hoping for a higher VR and BS than my predictions since I think they went relatively well compared to my practice tests. I'm hoping everyone thought PS was hard so the curve is generous.

Actual: 31 PS 10 VR 9 BS 12

Disappointed my VR was only a 9, but a 31 is a good score so I'm happy.

FFFFUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

:mad::mad::cry::bang::bang::boom:

All my hard work 3+ months of doing vr passages and reading economist/new yorker for the past year led to a fukin 5 on VR.
what the hell am I gonna do now? this is my third time taking the test last two were in 2010 and now are expired and on both of those I got a 7 in vr..

what are my options?

FFFFUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

:mad::mad::cry::bang::bang::boom:

All my hard work 3+ months of doing vr passages and reading economist/new yorker for the past year led to a fukin 5 on VR.
what the hell am I gonna do now? this is my third time taking the test last two were in 2010 and now are expired and on both of those I got a 7 in vr..

what are my options?

I feel your pain....my verbal is very close to yours and it won't budge....I've tried tutors and courses....does anybody have any advice on what else to use!???? TPR? TBR?

Take advantage of every break possible, and remember that the test won't start without you, even if you take more than your allotted break time because there might be long lines to get back in or something.

Also I thought it was super useful to get foam ear plugs. The headphones they give you won't cancel out all noise, but a combination of the ear plugs + headphones really made the testing environment super quiet.

Most importantly, don't stress. Even if you think you did poorly on one section. I thought for sure I had BOMBED the PS section because I actually ran out of time and I'm pretty sure I didn't even get to guess on 1 or 2 of the questions. But I took my break, gathered my thoughts, ate some snacks, sipped some water, and just tried to block that last section out of my mind. Just remember that each section is a clean slate.

Good luck!!!!!

Thanks! :D

Thank you! Saturday is going to come up fast. Getting nervous, but glad to be done with it. That is if I'm not forced to retake. Fingers crossed. I just want a balanced score that is at least 30. That would be fine w/me. I have a 4.0 gpa across the board and a pretty good ap otherwise. Plus, I am not aiming for Harvard. Thanks for tips!

I feel your pain....my verbal is very close to yours and it won't budge....I've tried tutors and courses....does anybody have any advice on what else to use!???? TPR? TBR?

I find that TPRH Verbal goes along with AAMC style verbal passages very similarly. Try those.

I used everything.
TPRH, TBR, EK, AAMC even some Kaplan

Did you try the counting your minutes per passage method?

I.e. 52 - 44 - 36 - 28 - 20 - 12 - 4

Something like that to make sure that you know you're running out of time for that passage?

And also skip around to see which passages you find easiest (should take a couple of seconds to determine which looks hard/easy)

Did you try the counting your minutes per passage method?

I.e. 52 - 44 - 36 - 28 - 20 - 12 - 4

Something like that to make sure that you know you're running out of time for that passage?

And also skip around to see which passages you find easiest (should take a couple of seconds to determine which looks hard/easy)

yes I did everything. I do easy passages first then spend extra time on the harder ones last.
I had timing down. Was able to finish with three to four minutes remaining.
I was getting 9s on practice with a couple 11s, 10s, 8s and a few 7s

what can I do now?

Hey all! I was wondering where I could find the Lizzy (or something close) equation/score thing? Glad to see so many people happy with their MCAT scores!

yes I did everything. I do easy passages first then spend extra time on the harder ones last.
I had timing down. Was able to finish with three to four minutes remaining.
I was getting 9s on practice with a couple 11s, 10s, 8s and a few 7s

what can I do now?

Two 7's and a latest 5 in VR is not suggestive of good odds at improvement, but you can either retake or not. If you don't retake you almost definitely won't get in if you apply with that, but if you do retake you need to reanalyze what you're doing and not take the exam until you can consistently score ~9's on practice tests.

Two 7's and a latest 5 in VR is not suggestive of good odds at improvement, but you can either retake or not. If you don't retake you almost definitely won't get in if you apply with that, but if you do retake you need to reanalyze what you're doing and not take the exam until you can consistently score ~9's on practice tests.

does this mean we shouldn't take the exam if we can't break 10 on VR? lol.
ive been at it for months and only got a 10 on 2 occasions on earlier AAMCs. Other than that, it's been a 7/8. I feel myself getting better, but it's not reflecting on the practice tests.

If everything is 10 or above, does it matter if the scores are balanced?
I don't think it matters nearly as much once you get above 10 because the scales get shifted. For example, the difference between a 13 and a 11 may only be a few questions, compared to the difference between a 10 and a 8. I'm definitely not an expert on this though.