The Official 3/23/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start this one out. I'll be registering for the MCAT first thing tomorrow. Who else is taking it on this date? How do you all plan on studying over the school year?

Members don't see this ad.

First time poster i just checked my score. First time taker btw.

10/10/11

Half of me wants to retake the exam the other half wants to apply with this score but i really don't want to wait another leap year =/. (if possible)

I felt i could of time managed alot better on the exam but because of first time jitters i was over anxious and might of under perform a bit. What are your thoughts?

He said he wasn't going to retake, so we can end that discussion now.

True :)

Whoops...thought he said he was going to retake. Never mind! Good score!

Onco and sworzeh, you two are making some unfounded assumptions about any given person that chooses to retake a 36.

Osprey, it's a matter of personal opinion on whether you think the score reflects your aptitude or not. I can understand your perspective that it's not worth it, but value is relative.

It's interesting to see the difference in opinions though...

I can agree that it's unlikely that retaking a 36 will change your chances for getting an acceptance but that's not the only reason to take the test again. I'd argue that someone who was consistently scoring more than 36 on practice tests should not need much additional preparation or any at all to take the test again a month later, so it becomes a matter of having a free half a day and $300 to spare.

AAMC has some data on that in the MCAT guide book. In 2009, 2010 and 2011 78 people from the 36-38 bucket and 6 from 39-45 retook the test. 51% from the former and 33% from the latter improved their score. Best improvement for the 36-38 group was 7 or more points but the 39-45 managed only a single extra point. All these are people retaking in the same year, retakes in following years were not accounted for.

Neat statistics, but even so, I think the costs are too high and the risks are too big. I don't have the stomach for a retake right now.

Man this is brutal! Someone help this guy/girl out!

Give it time, the bad news will take a while to sink in. You'll know what to do .... :luck:

Only on SDN will you see people weep and moan about getting a 36, despite it being 90+ percentile. This is primarily why the SDN pre-med community get's a bad rep. Even if you scored lower than your average, be proud of that accomplishment. Not many can achieve that, and most people would be ecstatic if the had the same score.

Congratulations to everyone who did well, and to those who didn't, don't give up hope.

I've seen lots of people get scores 4+ lower than their practice test averages. That's understandable why someone would be upset. Anybody can be disappointed by a test, and everyone has different goals, circumstances, and drives. Thanks for the opinion :)

Hey guys,

Biochem exam went pretty well. I felt ok on it, as soon as I got my starbucks in hand thoughts of the MCAT went out of my mind entirely and I was able to focus. Thanks for the well wishes!

So here's what I got.

15 PS / 10 VR / 13 BS = 38. F.ck yeah.

All time high for PS- never scored a 15 but I came close a couple times. All time low for VR- I think all of my aamc's were 11's or higher, with a 13 on AAMC11. BS was about where I thought it'd be based on practices. More than happy. I think I hit roughly my modern AAMC averages (8-11). Stats don't lie, thankfully.

Went out to dinner with the fiancee- she doesn't remember her individual breakdown, but she got a 38 when she took it back in 2003, so neither of us feels one-upped.

Glad to see some good scores on here. NED, you're going to be a doc, MD or DO you'll get there. Entadus, no worries. It'd have been nice to hit a 40 but you know what we're >90% and still incredibly competitive. We're good man.

I hope I'll see some of you all on the interview trail!

I had a couple beers with dinner, but I've a staff meeting tomorrow at 8 am sharp (I'm in the east, and it's 11 now). Celebrate with cigars and whiskey sometime this weekend.

Sisko out

You're my hero Sisko! I wouldn't trade scores with you, I wouldn't want you to get any lower than your fiancee :rolleyes: Hahaha how lucky and fair that you met your fiancee's score :laugh:

Thanks for the reassurance

I cannot see any reason why someone would retake a 36.. If it was <35, then I can understand but if its >=35, there's really no reason to retake it. That valuable time spent on another MCAT could be used to strengthen other parts of the app.

Although the number you pick (35) is arbitrary on a 45 point scale, I am still inclined to agree with you. At least in my case, it will not be worthwhile to invest in another exam. I have too much other stuff going on to consider retaking!

Last edited:
Thanks!

What are some of the tricks/tips in the book. I am scheduled to retake in 3 weeks.. I know its not enough time to improve but I got 7s on my last two real MCATs and was scoring around a 9 on the tons of practice passages I was doing. I really think it was a fluke, I was nervous during the test and probably misread a lot of stuff.
Main gist: Reading with your finger pointing to the words (sounds elementary at first, but is actually helpful), learning to silence reading each word/saying it in your head, learning to not look at each word, improving your ability to read faster by practicing their techniques.

Exactly -- nerves happen to everyone! Don't let this discourage you. During the test, remind yourself that this 1.) says nothing about your intelligence or ability to be a doctor and 2.) is a test that you can retake again if you don't improve your VR this time around. Also remember that you're doing your best and that's all that you can do!

.... being nervous does NOT allow you to do your best, so while re-studying, maybe practice some coping techniques too? (squeezing my hands together then letting go, stretching my arms back or legs out, deep breathing, and refocusing have helped me).

Members don't see this ad :)
For the record, I disagree with this.

The topic of when/should the MCAT be retaken comes up often during meetings with adcom/admins at programs where I've visited or at talks attended at my UG university. One comment on this topic from a PD at a top 10 program sort of defines the consensus opinion(among the people I've personally heard express an opinion):

"If you scored in the mid/high 30's or above, and we see that you did a retake, we're going to think that you're a little weird"

I believe he was being serious.

The topic of when/should the MCAT be retaken comes up often during meetings with adcom/admins at programs where I've visited or at talks attended at my UG university. One comment on this topic from a PD at a top 10 program sort of defines the consensus opinion(among the people I've personally heard express an opinion):

"If you scored in the mid/high 30's or above, and we see that you did a retake, we're going to think that you're a little weird"

And rightfully so. :laugh:

Main gist: Reading with your finger pointing to the words (sounds elementary at first, but is actually helpful), learning to silence reading each word/saying it in your head, learning to not look at each word, improving your ability to read faster by practicing their techniques.

Exactly -- nerves happen to everyone! Don't let this discourage you. During the test, remind yourself that this 1.) says nothing about your intelligence or ability to be a doctor and 2.) is a test that you can retake again if you don't improve your VR this time around. Also remember that you're doing your best and that's all that you can do!

.... being nervous does NOT allow you to do your best, so while re-studying, maybe practice some coping techniques too? (squeezing my hands together then letting go, stretching my arms back or legs out, deep breathing, and refocusing have helped me).

thank you I really appreciate your help! Ill try out those methods, I might also try what my mcat instructor taught us: only do 6 of the 7 passages so you have 10 min per passage. and since im not shooting for above a 10, I think this might work out for me.

That seems incredibly judgmental and it's unfortunate that they think that way.

The reason AdComs feel that way is because you come off as a gunner if you retake a high score. No AdCom wants a gunner at their school and retaking the MCAT when you're already in the 95th percentile makes the applicant seem like he/she has issues accepting that someone, somewhere is better than them at something.

I understand where you are coming from (a 36 is a high score but that might not be reflective of what you think you were capable of scoring or reflective of how much you invested into studying for the test).

However, I find it hard to imagine any normal person will not be judgmental towards someone who retakes a 35+, unless it was a 14ps,7v,14bs type of 35+. If someone with a 35+ doesn't get into medical school, that 35+ will not be the reason why, even for top schools like JHU and Harvard.

The reason AdComs feel that way is because you come off as a gunner if you retake a high score. No AdCom wants a gunner at their school and retaking the MCAT when you're already in the 95th percentile makes the applicant seem like he/she has issues accepting that someone, somewhere is better than them at something.

That's assuming that the motivation to retake was external, not internal, which is just a huge unfounded assumption. Osprey is exactly right that (for me at least, as an example) it would be about presenting a score you feel represents you accurately. Imagine you scored over 40 on all AAMC FL's and then got a 35. Would you feel that represented you accurately? I sure wouldn't.

That's assuming that the motivation to retake was external, not internal, which is just a huge unfounded assumption. Osprey is exactly right that (for me at least, as an example) it would be about presenting a score you feel represents you accurately. Imagine you scored over 40 on all AAMC FL's and then got a 35. Would you feel that represented you accurately? I sure wouldn't.

I have a feeling that a little weird in this context is more of a "you did something rather unusual" than a "we don't want your kind here." I'd be very curious about what happened to these 85 people but alas...

Members don't see this ad :)
6+ months of studying (actually, 5 months of glancing at pages and 1 month of intense studying)= 13 PS / 09 VR / 13 BS = 35! :naughty:

I'm happy. But my only concern is regarding my verbal score. I got around a 12 on my AAMC tests. What should I do?

I understand where you are coming from (a 36 is a high score but that might not be reflective of what you think you were capable of scoring or reflective of how much you invested into studying for the test).
Exactly!

However, I find it hard to imagine any normal person will not be judgmental towards someone who retakes a 35+, unless it was a 14ps,7v,14bs type of 35+. If someone with a 35+ doesn't get into medical school, that 35+ will not be the reason why, even for top schools like JHU and Harvard.

Unfortunately I can imagine that you're correct, it may be seen negatively by people who make preemptive judgments about applicants. Again I think it's unfortunate that people so closed-minded make these sorts of important decisions. The right thing to do in my mind would be consider the applicant as you would normally (e.g. if you average multiple scores then do that, if you consider only the highest score then do that), and if the applicant merits an interview then simply ask them about the retake at the interview.

A 35 may not keep you out of a school, but it could easily be what excludes you from a pool of merit scholarships at a top school. Consider WashU, where the average MCAT is above 35 and a number of full and half tuition merit scholarships are given.

FWIW - I swung by the local Admissions office this morning and spoke to another by email. They both told me exactly the same thing: scores of 30 and above are the average scores that successful applicants have. When I asked if there was a difference between a 30 and a 38, both said that those scores are treated equally, for all intents and purposes. These are both "State" schools and neither is in the "Top 20." Both offices also said they never recommend to anyone retaking anything above a 28 because the statistics show that you will likely not achieve anything higher, or might even lower, your score. The MCAT official statistics state roughly the same thing. I just wanted to add a little perspective to the thread. I posted what my score was yesterday and to make sure I was not rationalizing, I reached out to the experts.

I will admit that I am new to this Forum, but I also have to admit to the overwhelming level of shock and disgust I got from most other premeds I know out here in the real world when I displayed shame at my score. I began to realize how silly I was being immediately when every single one of them told me that would love to have that score. What's more, I have several close friends in medical school or residencies and not one of them scored higher than a 32. Several wouldn't even admit to "Remembering" their scores. I had to spend a few hours last night re-grounding myself, taking a closer look at the true statistics and data, and reminding myself of what my score really meant.

I'm truly happy for those who had scores higher than mine. You might even be reading this, now, and laughing a little and that's totally fine by me. I hope you all get into those very-competitive schools or achieve whatever your goals may be. For me, my score is one fraction of a larger picture of who I am as an applicant, and is not low enough to keep me out of any program I want to apply to. I hope others with scores in the same range as mine will take a look at what they really mean and how much of a factor they will be for their own success. Look at the data, look at the entrance statistics for your schools, etc. I'm certain you will find that a 29-32 is the average mean score for most "normal" MD programs. If you are trying to go to a top school, a 30 might not cut it.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Both offices also said they never recommend to anyone retaking anything above a 28 because the statistics show that you will likely not achieve anything higher, or might even lower, their score. The MCAT official statistics state roughly the same thing. I just wanted to add a little perspective to the thread. I posted what my score was yesterday and to make sure I was not rationalizing, I reached out to the experts.

I will admit that I am new to this Forum, but I also have to admit to the overwhelming level of shock and disgust I got from most other premeds I know out here in the real world when I displayed shame at my score. I began to realize how silly I was being immediately when every single one of them told me that would love to have that score. What's more, I have several close friends in medical school or residencies and not one of them scored higher than a 32. Several wouldn't even admit to "Remembering" their scores. I had to spend a few hours last night re-grounding myself, taking a closer look at the true statistics and data, and reminding myself of what my score really meant.

I'm truly happy for those who had scores higher than mine. You might even be reading this, now, and laughing a little and that's totally fine by me. I hope you all get into those very-competitive schools or achieve whatever your goals may be. For me, my score is one fraction of a larger picture of who I am as an applicant, and is not low enough to keep me out of any program I want to apply to. I hope others with scores in the same range as mine will take a look at what they really mean and how much of a factor they will be for their own success. Look at the data, look at the entrance statistics for your schools, etc. I'm certain you will find that a 29-32 is the average mean score for most "normal" MD programs. If you are trying to go to a top school, a 30 might not cut it.

Just my $0.02.

You are helping me out, thanks. My emotions and thoughts are all over the place.

I postponed! About a month out I saw my time slipping away and I decided to take the summer to redo the entire study plan (doing SN2ed). Registered for August 16.

How will that affect your application? Will you be applying this year? I am thinking about retaking July 2, but am afraid that's too borderline too late to apply this year.

Total: 37

Verbal: 11

BS: 13

PS: 13

Little bit disappointed by my science scores (expected 14-15 for each), but overall contended with my score, especially with my verbal as my mother tongue is not English.

(I have only lived in the States for 3 years for my college. Before that I hadn't had lived in any English-speaking country and I have been learning English for only 7 years.)

It's sickening to know that there are people who are trying to be doctors in this world who are bashing someone for not being content with not reaching their goals and expectations.

All - for the record: My post was not meant to "bash" anyone. I want that clear in case it has been interpreted that way. I simply want to inject a dose of reality to this discussion. Emotions run high on issues like these.

The reality, as I see it, is that we are all people used to being able to predict with relative accuracy our performance at a given task. Add that to the fact that most all of us are probably very used to outperforming our peers in our perspective programs, it gets extremely hard to accept a score on something like the MCAT that we deem to be "Sub-par" or "Less than perfect." If I would have received a 40 or above, I would have had a stroke from the shock. Not everyone can get those scores; in fact, a very few will ever get above a 34. Couple that with the steeper competition we are now facing by testing against one-another instead of the people we are used to destroying academically and you have a perfect storm for disappointment. Would I retake a 36? No way. Should someone else? That depends on his or her specific challenges when it comes to the program he or she wishes to enter and his or her other qualifications...

Entadus was nothing, but respectful during the whole process and I think you all owe him the same. I was originally testing here and he told us he applied last year and wasn't admitted into his schools for whatever reasons. To those of you who didn't know his story, please keep your judgements to yourself. He has schools he was aiming for and it didn't work the first time around. If I was in his position and hitting a ridiculous amount of 40s on practice tests, I would be disappointed too. His score is good yes but I would still be disappointed. That doesn't give you the right to bash him. We all have different goals and the practice tests are there to tell you what you can roughly expect barring something crazy. Don't bash him for thinking he did below what he's capable of.

Entadus was nothing, but respectful during the whole process and I think you all owe him the same. I was originally testing here and he told us he applied last year and wasn't admitted into his schools for whatever reasons. To those of you who didn't know his story, please keep your judgements to yourself. He has schools he was aiming for and it didn't work the first time around. If I was in his position and hitting a ridiculous amount of 40s on practice tests, I would be disappointed too. His score is good yes but I would still be disappointed. That doesn't give you the right to bash him. We all have different goals and the practice tests are there to tell you what you can roughly expect barring something crazy. Don't bash him for thinking he did below what he's capable of.

I agree....

Its like saying that you were previously hooking up with victoria's secret models... and you ended up marrying a woman who is an on a TV show. Good, but youve done better in the past...

Too bad med schools cant see our practice test scores.:laugh:

You worded this better than I did, but these are my thoughts exactly.

He felt like he underperformed (and he did) and based on this thread, that is apparently okay in this world - we wouldn't want gunners (ya know, the people who actually give two ****s) would we?

It's sickening to know that there are people who are trying to be doctors in this world who are bashing someone for not being content with not reaching their goals and expectations.

Sometimes underperforming happens. Everyone here is human and sometimes we don't meet expectation. What's important is to accept that sometimes things don't go as planned which Entadus has. As a doctor, things will happen that he will be unhappy with but he won't be able to do anything about. It's just how life works and it's important that he's not freaking out.

No one should be bashing anyone for being disappointed they didn't reach their goals. Setting high expectations is good because it makes us try to do well. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread was not at least a little disappointed in at least one part of their MCAT. Everyone always wishes they could have done at least a little better. Wanting perfection is part of being human.

agree agree agree! Entadus, youre inspiring and i support you and your disappointment! Shoot for the moon, even if you miss youll end up among the stars. You did really incredibly well, and the disappointment is just a side effect of your super hard work and dedication. I think as the weeks go on the disappointment will fade and youll begin to realize that you are going to have an INCREDIBLE application season, and your dreams of going to a top med school will come true.

This is awesome. A bunch of pre-med type A's arguing about Entadus. Everyone thinks they are right. Everyone thinks that their advise is the best for Entadus.

Also, a person scoring in the 95% asking for advice. Also amusing.

Last edited:
This is awesome. A bunch of pre-med type A's arguing about Entadus. Everyone thinks they are right. Everyone thinks that their advise is the best for Entadus.

Also, a person scoring in the 95% asking for advice. Also amusing.
People arent arguing for whose advice is best. people are being supportive. i think people should stay off sdn if they wanna put anyone down. And now you're putting people down for supporting someone who was put down. enoughhhhh.

and ps... after having been through everything in boston this week, its put so much in perspective. For those who did not get what they want, try to think about how lucky we all are that we're okay and that our loved ones are okay.. I know it sounds corny, but even though I'm nervous about getting my scores back in two weeks, my experiences this week have made me just so grateful for everything i have.

Hey I have a question about numbering on the real MCAT... are the sections numbered 1-52, 1-40, and 1-52 or are they numbered 1-144 like on the practice AAMC questions?

Thank you for your help!!!!

FWIW - I swung by the local Admissions office this morning and spoke to another by email. They both told me exactly the same thing: scores of 30 and above are the average scores that successful applicants have. When I asked if there was a difference between a 30 and a 38, both said that those scores are treated equally, for all intents and purposes. These are both "State" schools and neither is in the "Top 20." Both offices also said they never recommend to anyone retaking anything above a 28 because the statistics show that you will likely not achieve anything higher, or might even lower, your score. The MCAT official statistics state roughly the same thing. I just wanted to add a little perspective to the thread. I posted what my score was yesterday and to make sure I was not rationalizing, I reached out to the experts.

Just my $0.02.

thanks! :)

Whine, whine, whine. Not everybody meets their goals. I certainly didn't. Welcome to the real world.

Don't even start...
-------------------------------

Ok everyone, it seems like everyone's debating about this high scores/disappointed thing. First of all, if it disappoints you to see someone upset about a score you would want to receive, that's your problem...not theirs. Go fix it on your own time, it's not your business to judge someone else and impose your opinion on him or her. You're not walking in Entadus' shoes. Did you get already fail to get accepted during a cycle? Did you spend as much time as Entadus has? No...so those of you who are shouldn't be making rude comments. I took it the first time and I wasn't nearly satisfied but that's why you get some encouragement from those on SDN to get you back on your feet, log off SDN for some time and work hard, and then come back periodically for advice. That's what SDNs for.

-----------

Ok, there are some of you out there who are a little resentful of those who seemed to have jumped. Be aware that in many of these case, students hadn't taken an AAMC in a while. Today I was so conflicted about my score and whether I deserved it (it's personal for me) that I took AAMC 5 in it's entirety. Scored a 12/10/13 (35)...1 higher than my actual. My AAMC average was a 28 because I took 4/5 AAMCs last August and September whereas I had one a week before 3/23 and scored a 30 (AAMC 8) after I had done a comprehensive TBR schedule mixed with way more verbal practice from the SN2 schedule. Now I know AAMC 8 was probably on my lower side. Overall, it wasn't luck for me and it may not have been for others. Some just do well under pressure and don't perform well on practices when they know it's not the real thing.

------------

Lastly, this whole thing about this 35+ equals talented and privileged may have some validity to it but it was funny how someone was just like 35 and everyone agreed and then sworzeh was like that makes sense...I'm not exceptionally talented but I worked very hard and I got a 34...:laugh: (no hard feelings Sworzeh and sorry if I misinterpreted what u said...just interpreted it that way...I'm sure you worked extremely hard...how do you know you're not talented though?). In all seriousness though, I do think 37 is the pretty much on the spot in terms of this above and beyond number (and it's not because I got a 34). If you look at the AAMC scales, you'll see 12 in the science is the last score where there's like a buffer range (like you can get 45-48) to still get a 12 but then to get a 13 you need like 48-49 (only 3-4 mistakes total!-very difficult) and then it's a matter of a question for the next scores. In terms of verbal, I think 11 is the last point where there's a buffer region. Past that, you go down for each wrong answer.
AAMC 10
; 15 / 0 wrong
14 / 1 wrong
13 / 2 wrong
12 / 3 wrong
11 / 4-6 wrong
10 / 7-9 wrong
9 / 10-11 wrong
8 / 12-13 wrong
7 / 14-16 wrong
6 / 17-19 wrong

Therefore, if you get 13, 12, 13 that means you got to the point where you only got very few wrong and didn't have to rely on the buffer. This exam was like a school exam for you where you were probably very sure on most of your answers and you're probably one of those who actually remembers your answers and which ones were wrong/right after the exam.

---------

Ok and to Entadus:

With all this being said, I don't think people should aim for this 37 or anything like that. I feel like once you hit 90th percentile (or in your case 95th) you shouldn't worry. I feel why you're disappointed...you underperformed. If I had put that much work in I would probably be feeling the same way and I don't blame you for considering the retake. I feel like you should let it sink in and in a few weeks you'll start to feel proud of your score and feel glad you pushed yourself so hard. Thanks for making this group so entertaining :)

Last edited:
Hey I have a question about numbering on the real MCAT... are the sections numbered 1-52, 1-40, and 1-52 or are they numbered 1-144 like on the practice AAMC questions?

Thank you for your help!!!!

It's labelled 1-144 like on the practice exams. This is why I had to keep looking at the review function so I could actually get a visual idea of how much I'd actually have completed. Maybe spend 2-3 minutes familiarizing yourself with the landmarks of 1-144.

congratulations!!! that is awesome!!! :)

Did you take all the practice tests?

I had a similar situation. I performed better than all my practice exams before the MCAT but I only took one before the MCAT so while I score 6 points above my AAMC average I've taken 2 tests after doing my review the 2nd time around and my actual was only 1.5 pts. higher than my practice exam average. I still feel lucky though :D
See, when I took it for the first time I was like let's go all in. You don't think about a retake when you consider what practice exams to complete.

Wait so N.E.D., are you scheduled to take it again? Are you applying this coming cycle?

That's a tough call.

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time post. I was wondering if someone could give me advice on if I should wait and retake (for 3rd time) or apply this cycle.

VR - 06
PS - 11
BS - 11
Total - 28

VR - 09
PS - 09
BS - 10
Total - 28

The total didn't change.. I was planning on applying this cycle, but now I am not sure. Or perhaps apply this cycle, and if I don't get in, take MCAT next year and apply next cycle. Thoughts? Also, I have a 3.5 from UCLA and decent extracurriculars with 1 publication. Thanks for any advice.

5 points below my average, I really don't know what happened, because I felt good coming out of the exam (I think I did better on the ungraded questions lol), although I was jittery. My last 2 AAMC exams were 36 and 39 (ranged from 30-39 but were swinging all over the place, verbal and bio were almost never below 11 or 12). I got a 30 on the real MCAT 10/10/10, at least it was balanced, is the best I can say about my score. My self assment pkg showed I needed more content studying, but I figured since my AAMC average was still 34-35 I'd be okay. I am planning to apply next year for 2015 cycle and will have decent GPA ( 3.71 and almost 3.6 science) and strong EC's by that time (3 yrs bench research 2 publications,100 plus hrs shadowing 200 plus hrs hospital volunteering). I am almost certain I will retake, because I would like to apply to schools with strong research, as I would like to continue bench research as an MD, this will require a 33-34 minimum. I am just hesitant because what if I score lower..I don't know what materials I should use for a retake either.

It's labelled 1-144 like on the practice exams. This is why I had to keep looking at the review function so I could actually get a visual idea of how much I'd actually have completed. Maybe spend 2-3 minutes familiarizing yourself with the landmarks of 1-144.

great thanks! :) Will do! :)

I expected to get below 30 since I was rushing through during the last one month. Got a 28 (11,6,11). I'm happy that I got a 28, but I just didn't expect to get a 6 for VR. Gotta work on my verbal...

Don't even start...
-------------------------------

Ok everyone, it seems like everyone's debating about this high scores/disappointed thing. First of all, if it disappoints you to see someone upset about a score you would want to receive, that's your problem...not theirs. Go fix it on your own time, it's not your business to judge someone else and impose your opinion on him or her. You're not walking in Entadus' shoes. Did you get already fail to get accepted during a cycle? Did you spend as much time as Entadus has? No...so those of you who are shouldn't be making rude comments. I took it the first time and I wasn't nearly satisfied but that's why you get some encouragement from those on SDN to get you back on your feet, log off SDN for some time and work hard, and then come back periodically for advice. That's what SDNs for.

-----------

Ok, there are some of you out there who are a little resentful of those who seemed to have jumped. Be aware that in many of these case, students hadn't taken an AAMC in a while. Today I was so conflicted about my score and whether I deserved it (it's personal for me) that I took AAMC 5 in it's entirety. Scored a 12/10/13 (35)...1 higher than my actual. My AAMC average was a 28 because I took 4/5 AAMCs last August and September whereas I had one a week before 3/23 and scored a 30 (AAMC 8) after I had done a comprehensive TBR schedule mixed with way more verbal practice from the SN2 schedule. Now I know AAMC 8 was probably on my lower side. Overall, it wasn't luck for me and it may not have been for others. Some just do well under pressure and don't perform well on practices when they know it's not the real thing.

------------

Lastly, this whole thing about this 35+ equals talented and privileged may have some validity to it but it was funny how someone was just like 35 and everyone agreed and then sworzeh was like that makes sense...I'm not exceptionally talented but I worked very hard and I got a 34...:laugh: (no hard feelings Sworzeh and sorry if I misinterpreted what u said...just interpreted it that way...I'm sure you worked extremely hard...how do you know you're not talented though?). In all seriousness though, I do think 37 is the pretty much on the spot in terms of this above and beyond number (and it's not because I got a 34). If you look at the AAMC scales, you'll see 12 in the science is the last score where there's like a buffer range (like you can get 45-48) to still get a 12 but then to get a 13 you need like 48-49 (only 3-4 mistakes total!-very difficult) and then it's a matter of a question for the next scores. In terms of verbal, I think 11 is the last point where there's a buffer region. Past that, you go down for each wrong answer.
AAMC 10
; 15 / 0 wrong
14 / 1 wrong
13 / 2 wrong
12 / 3 wrong
11 / 4-6 wrong
10 / 7-9 wrong
9 / 10-11 wrong
8 / 12-13 wrong
7 / 14-16 wrong
6 / 17-19 wrong

Therefore, if you get 13, 12, 13 that means you got to the point where you only got very few wrong and didn't have to rely on the buffer. This exam was like a school exam for you where you were probably very sure on most of your answers and you're probably one of those who actually remembers your answers and which ones were wrong/right after the exam.

---------

Ok and to Entadus:

With all this being said, I don't think people should aim for this 37 or anything like that. I feel like once you hit 90th percentile (or in your case 95th) you shouldn't worry. I feel why you're disappointed...you underperformed. If I had put that much work in I would probably be feeling the same way and I don't blame you for considering the retake. I feel like you should let it sink in and in a few weeks you'll start to feel proud of your score and feel glad you pushed yourself so hard. Thanks for making this group so entertaining :)

Haha, no you didn't misquote me. I merely say that I'm not talented at this one standardized test compared to all these really talented and extremely motivated people. If we were referring to talented as the ability to draw portraits, then yes, I'm talented! :laugh:

Also, on the topic of high scores: I feel that since the difference between a 35 and a 40 is about 5 questions (~3.5%) that if I was an adcom, I would view the two as very similar if not the same. I think the thing is that SDN members have this magic number of 40 in their head that gets scholarships, gets into top schools, etc, when I'm positive there are people with lower numbers that do the same.

Personally, I would recommend to anyone who has a 25+ that they apply and give it a shot. Worst case scenario, you get an opportunity to get experience with the process and interviews and can probably get admissions folks to give you pointers on how to be a stronger applicant next cycle should you not get in. This score is only one piece of a bigger picture in your application.

Personally, I would recommend to anyone who has a 25+ that they apply and give it a shot. Worst case scenario, you get an opportunity to get experience with the process and interviews and can probably get admissions folks to give you pointers on how to be a stronger applicant next cycle should you not get in. This score is only one piece of a bigger picture in your application.

That wouldn't really give you a great shot at MDs would it? I'm not entirely sure what the range for DO is but wouldn't that give you a decent shot at DO but not MD