The HIRING FREEZE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is saturation and a hiring freeze in Portland, OR hospitals.

yeah..and Oregon governor is tryping to add beer tax and mileage tax using GPS.. dang liberals..

Members don't see this ad :)
But...no sales tax! :D

But you can't pump your own gas... wait, actually that's not too bad.

I did get a solicitation letter about a job in high desert Oregon...I assume that's near Bend. Nice area but too expensive.

But you can't pump your own gas... wait, actually that's not too bad.

I did get a solicitation letter about a job in high desert Oregon...I assume that's near Bend. Nice area but too expensive.

this is espeicially true at smaller, rural hospitals. I know an OBGY who has been asked to take a pay cut, and increase patient load. She is seroiusly hurting for cash right. Who would of thought that.

Our local health system is hiring six clinical pharmacists right now.

I work at a hospital in NY. We have volunteers come in and out of the hospital pharmacy.

Yesterday I met a new volunteer. I introduced myself and asked her if she was a student. She said that she is a recent pharmd grad and has just got her license :eek:

She said things are really bad out there and she is volunteering until she finds something. This is the first time I ever saw a LICENSED pharmacist who did not win the lotto actually volunteer!

Things are far worse in NJ from what I hear.

Last edited:
I work at a hospital in NY. We have volunteers come in and out of the hospital pharmacy.

Yesterday I met a new volunteer. I introduced myself and asked her if she was a student. She said that she is a recent pharmd grad and has just got her license :eek:

She said things are really bad out there and she is volunteering until she finds something. This is the first time I ever saw a LICENSED pharmacist who did not win the lotto actually volunteer!

Things are far worse in NJ from what I hear.

Which is precisely why I'm leaving New Jersey and the Northeast at the end of this year

I am convinced he is a corporate spy placed here to try and repair CVS's chitty reputation. Or he is really old and has early onset Alzheimer’s disease. His short-term memory is starting to go. Everyday he wakes up he forgets how bad the day before was and happily skips back to work.
Give up.............it AIN'T gonna work! They've EARNED their chitty rep!

Here in the Midwest, a lot of hospitals are REQUIRING a Pharm.D. and at least 1 year of PGY residency, and sometimes 2. Years or decades of experience don't count. Oh, no. They have to have those credentials.

You just know it's so they can hire less experienced people and pay them less, and dink them around in ways they can't with those of us who have more life experience.

:idea::boom:

Here in the Midwest, a lot of hospitals are REQUIRING a Pharm.D. and at least 1 year of PGY residency, and sometimes 2. Years or decades of experience don't count. Oh, no. They have to have those credentials.

You just know it's so they can hire less experienced people and pay them less, and dink them around in ways they can't with those of us who have more life experience.

:idea::boom:

Why hire full time pharmacists, when you can hire residents to do the same job and then some for a 3rd of the cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question to all you pharmacists...my cousin just became a pharmacist and he is bitching like crazy about not being able to find a job in california (northern or southern) and he says there's a boatload of new pharmacy schools that keep opening up etc in spite of the saturation now (i had heard there was a great demand a few years ago). So now that there are all these surplus of students graduating from schools NOW when there is a saturation, then what will happen in a few years as these new schools open up and graduate HUNDREDS more? Is there anyway to stop the schools or alert some government officials that there is in fact apparently no shortage and people are moving into places with a tiny population in a rural community???

So now that there are all these surplus of students graduating from schools NOW when there is a saturation, then what will happen in a few years as these new schools open up and graduate HUNDREDS more?

There will be a lot of pharmacists. Probably too many.

Is there anyway to stop the schools or alert some government officials that there is in fact apparently no shortage and people are moving into places with a tiny population in a rural community???

I can't answer this question without more question marks.

But seriously, there is always a way to get things changed. It just takes the right people, at the right time, with the right connections, with the right attitudes, and with the willingness to work hard with the understanding that all of the work may be utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Nothing changes overnight, and nothing changes quickly when dealing with issues of this nature.

Alerting some government official (or rather, ATTEMPTING to alert them) would most likely result in a piece of paper contributing to an "Inbox" pile on a desk somewhere in Washington (if it was lucky enough to reach there) and then inevitably get thrown in the trash once the pile gets too large to bother looking through it.

I graduated in 2003 with a pharmd. last year I switched from a hospital where i worked for 5 years to a new hospital. the only reason i was able to make the switch in the first place is because of the people i know.

now the bad news:

the pharmacy director informed me that he gets calls every single day from pharmacists asking for work. He stated that only a few years ago they had to give candidates a 10k sign on bonus just to get them to work for the hospital.

a friend of mine just finished her 2ed year of residency and could not get a job in her specialty. she asked me if i can get her a job at my hospital as a staff pharmacist. i introduced her to my director and he told her to put in her resume...but it will take about a year before they will be given the ok to hire another pharmacist.

those that are doing a residency will suffer a great deal because the market is getting worse and worse every year. you need to get into the market as soon as you can.....in order to secure a job.

before starting pharmacy school i researched the demand for the profession. That was one of the reasons i chose pharmacy. Today is very different and i would not choose pharmacy if i was about to go to school.

Do not believe them when they say that there is lots of work for pharmacists.

Do not believe them when they say that the only pharmacists complaining about the market are those who are poor pharmacists and don't have the skill set to compete.

They have their own agenda. They want to ensure that enrollment is high and the school keeps a steady flow of tuition.

............do your own research before commiting so many years and a heafty student loan.

I graduated in 2003 with a pharmd. last year I switched from a hospital where i worked for 5 years to a new hospital. the only reason i was able to make the switch in the first place is because of the people i know.

now the bad news:

the pharmacy director informed me that he gets calls every single day from pharmacists asking for work. He stated that only a few years ago they had to give candidates a 10k sign on bonus just to get them to work for the hospital.

a friend of mine just finished her 2ed year of residency and could not get a job in her specialty. she asked me if i can get her a job at my hospital as a staff pharmacist. i introduced her to my director and he told her to put in her resume...but it will take about a year before they will be given the ok to hire another pharmacist.

those that are doing a residency will suffer a great deal because the market is getting worse and worse every year. you need to get into the market as soon as you can.....in order to secure a job.

before starting pharmacy school i researched the demand for the profession. That was one of the reasons i chose pharmacy. Today is very different and i would not choose pharmacy if i was about to go to school.

i know many in the same situation!!!!!

all the pre-pharm are being sold lies to get them into the schools. they choose to believe the lies based on promised 6-figure income that is not out there.

You don't think people consider that before they start pharmacy school????? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good grief, it seems people put more thought into their cell phone plan than they do into having children, so why would they research a little thing like that? :smuggrin:

7 months after my earlier post, I'm at least getting interviews now, which wasn't the case not so long ago. And interestingly, there are a number of facilities in my region which have had the same posted job openings all this time. :confused: My Facebook friend who works in HR said that some companies do this to research salaries, or they create dummy job openings to be eligible for various kinds of grant money.

My Facebook friend who works in HR said that some companies do this to research salaries, or they create dummy job openings to be eligible for various kinds of grant money.

FB friends can be a bunch of liars. I wouldn't trust them without looking into it.

It's ok. People just want to get their doom and gloom on. I give this guy credit for using the search instead of creating a totally new thread.

It's possible your standards are too low. Giving credit for anouther doom and gloom post? Yikes!

FB friends can be a bunch of liars. I wouldn't trust them without looking into it.

Haha, bob you can be so direct sometimes. But I agree, people will often tell you what you want to hear or stuff that they have heard without regard for if it's true or not.

How much are you making as a pharmacist?

Oh snap. What you don't understand is that there are NO JOBS! NONE! You can't make 6 figures on unemployment, believe me I researched it. :smuggrin:

New grads, for those not doing residency, how have you done in the job market?

What is your geographical location and what type of position have you accepted?

And most of all, congrats and welcome to the profession! :)

I live in south FL (Palm Beach County) and have accepted a position in retail. I had two companies to choose from. Almost everyone in my class that's not going into a residency has a job waiting for them, even though some will have to travel/relocate.

From my perspective, it's not all doom and gloom here in Florida, yet. I imagine in a couple years this bubble will burst though, as all the retail chains have slowed or completely stopped their growth, but the schools continue to pack the classrooms.

This could go in one of many threads...

...but has anyone else heard this rumor that at one point before the recession CVS intended to make (almost) all stores 24 hours?

I wonder if they plan on doing this once the economy is back on track. That would be an instant influx of thousands of positions.

...but has anyone else heard this rumor that at one point before the recession CVS intended to make (almost) all stores 24 hours?

I wonder if they plan on doing this once the economy is back on track. That would be an instant influx of thousands of positions.

IMO, I seriously doubt that will happen. It does not seem cost-effective in most areas.

i really doubt that. It is simply not practical. Besides, the store may open but not the pharmacy.

Upper midwest, got a staff position at the hospital I did 2 rotations at. Not 6 figures, but it's in my hometown and has great benefits. I'm excited.

I was originally looking into retail in the Minneapolis area but there were very few positions.

If they had done that, the stock on adult diapers would have gone up :smuggrin:

PGY-2 trained resident. Almost $70/hr in a traditionally saturated market. With relocation and licensing paid for.

And still getting offers regularly.

A lot of it is luck and timing.

PGY-2 trained resident. Almost $70/hr in a traditionally saturated market. With relocation and licensing paid for.

$70? niiice.:thumbup: I did get a merit raise again this year (3 years running) but I'm no $70/hr pharmacist :laugh:

$70? niiice.:thumbup: I did get a merit raise again this year (3 years running) but I'm no $70/hr pharmacist :laugh:

it's what you might call obscene.

But so are my loans.

$70 ($63 after the Commie's take their cut) in SoCal ain't the same as elsewhere, but that is still rad. Nice to hear some good news. Congrats.

Not a new grad!

Why hire full time pharmacists, when you can hire residents to do the same job and then some for a 3rd of the cost?

Residents are not allowed to staff for more then a few given hours per week. Secondly, a hospital can't hire as many residents as they would like. They have to be approved. Residents get paid by the state...not the hospital.

i dont think they would do this, even after the recession is over, companies will be cautious with how much cost they add

i dont think they would do this, even after the recession is over, companies will be cautious with how much cost they add

I work in a store that was recently converted from 24 hours to standard hours. We do the same amount of scripts in half the time, I'm sure CVS won't be reversing this decision any time soon.

I work in a store that was recently converted from 24 hours to standard hours. We do the same amount of scripts in half the time, I'm sure CVS won't be reversing this decision any time soon.

Yes, I work at a store that went from 2 full time positions to 1 full time and a part time. Script count hasn't dropped a bit and has actually increased slightly over the past 6 months. They won't be going back to 2 full time for years and/or significant script count increases.

People who keep complaining about "doom and gloom" posts and try to discredit them are part of the problem. I know it is depressing to read these kinds of posts, and when you have a job that you feel is secure it is hard to imagine that the job market isn't good. I have worked at the same chain for 8 years (4 years in undergrad and through school). I have loved working there and love all my coworkers. I had always planned on working there when I graduated. However, no job offer ever came. I talked to everyone I could in the company (DM, regional hiring manager, etc.) but there were absolutely no openings (and in fact a chain-wide retraction is currently underway).

I love working hard and feel ok about having to compete for a job with other pharmacists. But to deny that the profession is approaching a crisis is myopic.

To the hospital pharmacists that think they are untouchable: what do you think will happen to your salary when 10 pharmacists are calling every day looking for a job? Oversturation will impact salaries in every sector of the profession; it's economics 101, basic supply and demand. And maybe lower salaries wouldn't be so bad but a lot of people have 6-figure student loan debt to deal with which makes the problem that much worse.

I know this is mainly of function of the poor economy and that many other job markets are totally screwed right now as well. However, I feel that at the rate schools are opening and pumping out new grads this could be a long recovery process for the pharmacy profession. Am I a new grad? Yes. I am part of the oversturation problem.

I have worked with too many pharmacists that refuse to believe anything is wrong with the pharmacist job market because they have been in a job for a few years and have lost touch with the way it is now. That is why "doom and gloom" posts are important: people need to know there is a problem before anything will ever be done to correct it.

Last edited:
Part of the Southwest are undergoing hiring freezes in pharmacy due to the economy. What's going on in your part of the country???

I know that there's been a hiring freeze as far as techs and pharmacy interns in the Northeast (New Jersey). I still know quite of few ppl they get hired as floater pharmacists though, however many of them dont receive a full 40hrs in a week

My hospital hasn't hired any PharmD since 2007 til now...just for the record.

Yes, I work at a store that went from 2 full time positions to 1 full time and a part time. Script count hasn't dropped a bit and has actually increased slightly over the past 6 months. They won't be going back to 2 full time for years and/or significant script count increases.

People who keep complaining about "doom and gloom" posts and try to discredit them are part of the problem. I know it is depressing to read these kinds of posts, and when you have a job that you feel is secure it is hard to imagine that the job market isn't good. I have worked at the same chain for 8 years (4 years in undergrad and through school). I have loved working there and love all my coworkers. I had always planned on working there when I graduated. However, no job offer ever came. I talked to everyone I could in the company (DM, regional hiring manager, etc.) but there were absolutely no openings (and in fact a chain-wide retraction is currently underway).

I love working hard and feel ok about having to compete for a job with other pharmacists. But to deny that the profession is approaching a crisis is myopic.

To the hospital pharmacists that think they are untouchable: what do you think will happen to your salary when 10 pharmacists are calling every day looking for a job? Oversturation will impact salaries in every sector of the profession; it's economics 101, basic supply and demand. And maybe lower salaries wouldn't be so bad but a lot of people have 6-figure student loan debt to deal with which makes the problem that much worse.

I know this is mainly of function of the poor economy and that many other job markets are totally screwed right now as well. However, I feel that at the rate schools are opening and pumping out new grads this could be a long recovery process for the pharmacy profession. Am I a new grad? Yes. I am part of the oversturation problem.

I have worked with too many pharmacists that refuse to believe anything is wrong with the pharmacist job market because they have been in a job for a few years and have lost touch with the way it is now. That is why "doom and gloom" posts are important: people need to know there is a problem before anything will ever be done to correct it.

Good post. I fear for the middle class

Admissions are down--as in pharmacy school admissions?

I wish you wouldn't say stuff like that. I'm looking at 150 grand in loans when I graduate in 2012--so uh this "feeling" is kinda making me wanna throw up right now. Do you have any facts/stats to back up this claim?

Unfortunately this is what I see in NY. Many of those working in retail have seen their hours cut drastically. Its been this way for a little over a year now :(