The HIRING FREEZE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not true bigPharmD. In my former state legislation has been introduced twice to eliminate pharmacists in favor of a "Super Tech." Why? Because so much of pharmacy is now controlled by big business, and they wouldmuch rather pay a super tech 40,000 a year versus 100,000 a year.

I have no clue what you are referring too. Learn to use the quote button DOCTOR.

Members don't see this ad.

Not true bigPharmD. In my former state legislation has been introduced twice to eliminate pharmacists in favor of a "Super Tech." Why? Because so much of pharmacy is now controlled by big business, and they wouldmuch rather pay a super tech 40,000 a year versus 100,000 a year.

Yeah....they have already passed this legislation for doctors its called the super "ARNP, PA, and CRNA"

Members don't see this ad :)
Not true bigPharmD. In my former state legislation has been introduced twice to eliminate pharmacists in favor of a "Super Tech."

All due respect to techs but they can't function independently. That is just dangerous. Techs are not like NPs or PAs. They did not go to college for 6 years. Not saying pharmacy is difficult but you need more than just a high school education.

I'd have to concur with that. Perhaps if they made technicians get an associates in pharmacy or something.

As it is now you could have an 18 year old fresh out of high school biology being a tech. A lot of them know a ton, and a lot of them don't know ****. Way too much variety.

I'd have to concur with that. Perhaps if they made technicians get an associates in pharmacy or something.
And there are countries that do that. In Germany, for example, there are two classes of pharmacy techs. Ones that do shelf stocking and that type of stuff just get on-the-job training after high school. Those that directly interact with patients and fill scripts and can do very basic counseling go to college for two years with some internship, and are called pharmacist assistants.

Upon speaking to a "large chain" rep this morning about the availiability of jobs in Southern California, she told me that "they were fully staffed" but would "be interviewing for positions for graduate interns."

That means we'll be in El Centro, CA or Bakersfield....

In other words, the arm pits of California. Why don't we just apply to a nice trailer park community in Kentucky or maybe there are spots in Detroit. I don't mind getting raped or ****ting in a hole in the backyard.

I don't suppose those 80 Rph's per 6 months, or 160 in one year if that is constant, would affect positions in So. Cal. Do you? I don't suppose, once you extrapolate for all 50 states, that an extra thousand pharmacists have much of an effect on our pay does it? Not trying to scape goat anyone. If I could steal a higher paying job from an Irishman or any foreigner, I would. But no use sticking your head in the sand.

The surplus of pharmacists is going to be out of control when Rite-Aid goes under...that's like 10,000 pharmacists looking for jobs! I bet that it happens in the next 5 months...

The surplus of pharmacists is going to be out of control when Rite-Aid goes under...that's like 10,000 pharmacists looking for jobs! I bet that it happens in the next 5 months...
That's assuming they truly go under and nobody buys them out...

I doubt rad will go under. At most, they will fire chapter 11.

With that said, there might be a problem of monopoly if CVS or Wags buy up Rite Aid. CVS will be or is already being investigated by by FTC for monopoly as they review their decision to let CVS buy up Caremark.

I doubt rad will go under. At most, they will fire chapter 11.

With that said, there might be a problem of monopoly if CVS or Wags buy up Rite Aid. CVS will be or is already being investigated by by FTC for monopoly as they review their decision to let CVS buy up Caremark.

Independents!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

these jobs are still there in the pharmacy profession, structurally.. It's hard to believe other companies, investors, and independents would allow all that prescription business to just up and disappear. As in, either new pharmacies will be built by other chains to replace rite aids, more pharmacists will be hired to take all that lost prescription volume, or most likely somebody buys it. Rite aid is probably going to go out of business but in this climate, investors would have to be stupid to not jump on a pharmacy store fire sale. It's one thing to not buy up things like electronics stores that have failed recently.. their future may not be looking super bright, but prescriptions is for the time being are a fast growing industry. People who went to rite aid are still going to be looking for somewhere to spend their prescription dollar. It's not like they're going to go off all their meds because their store closed.

Was the up-credentialling to a PharmD neccessary? What I don't understand is why the profession had a credential-creep to a doctorate when there wasn't a problem with bachelors level pharmacists in the first place. Do you really need a doctorate to work retail? If it was meant to be an attempt to use the upcoming shortage as a power-grab, it doesn't seem to have worked as the profession doesn't seem to have gained an increased scope of practice and the increase in pharmacy schools has brought/will bring the market back to equilibrium.

If more pharmacy schools proliferate while this recession continues (which would probably happen as there will be many more people willing to take up loans to go to schools and more in academia wanting to make money off of them) you may see the pendulum swing the other way, which may not be bad for the consumer, but would be for new grads with six-digit debt that are forced to go to the boonies.

NO way, some reasons for this are

1. Pharmacist average age is going up
2. Population is growing older
3. More females end up in pharmacy school

Heck you can cover the country with pharmacy schools and new graduates assuming people are interested and you would still experience huge demands for services. On that subject admissions, school difficulty, job issues and state licensing will keep plenty of opportunities open in this field and this is just for the regular pharmacist.

My hospital (in NE area) froze all positions last month :thumbdown: but then unfroze some positions (RPh, MD, mid-levels) as requested per department management. :laugh:

NO way, some reasons for this are

1. Pharmacist average age is going up
2. Population is growing older
3. More females end up in pharmacy school

Heck you can cover the country with pharmacy schools and new graduates assuming people are interested and you would still experience huge demands for services. On that subject admissions, school difficulty, job issues and state licensing will keep plenty of opportunities open in this field and this is just for the regular pharmacist.

You think so, huh?

Any truth about saturation/full-staffing in these locations?

Wow, you couldn't have posted this in the other thread you started? Yes, saturated, you will never get a job. I recommend either dropping out or an immediate change in profession if you do not want your family to starve.

OC has always been saturated. LA is also getting pretty saturated. The problem is that a few grocery stores in the L.A area are closing like Vons, Albertson's and therefore, the pharmacy is also closed. Not sure how Ralph's is doing. I think it is doing better than the other grocery chain but I am sure it is also hurting. I believe Kaiser is also having a hiring freeze.

Don't get me wrong. There are still opportunities but they are a lot more competitive so don't take things for granted. It is not going to be easy getting a good position in the OC and LA area.

Where did the attack come from and why? If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, then say nothing. Move on to the next post.

I am not stating a fact. I am simply asking a question.

Thank you BMBiology for the response.

Keep in mind that Southern California is one of the more desirable places to live in the country, so its pretty much not a surprise that the market is saturated. Hell, even in New Jersey where I live its pretty much the same situation.

This topic has pretty much been beaten to death, but is it possible to get a job in that area? Yes. But would you expect to find a nice dayshift position in Santa Monica or say in the other beach cities where the pharmacy is probably minutes from the water? Probably not.

move to kentucky... my girlfriend just got an offer for 130,000 a year at walmart.

move to kentucky... my girlfriend just got an offer for 130,000 a year at walmart.

are you serious? Where in kentucky? Is it some rural area where nobody wanted to go? Hell, for that kind of money, I wouldn't mind going there and drink some moonshine. :D

The problem today is that people panic and create all sort of chaos scenarios when in reality no one knows whether there will be a shortage or not bc there are too many unpredictable factors involved. It didn't take long for things to go bad and i predict things will start to change once a positive number of jobs is created which will prob. occur within a year or two. I think the number of pharm schools opening def. needs to stop bc there are around 10,000 new pharmD's each year and we don't need that.

The problem with companies is that they follow what other companies are doing like walgreens who made a profit and had an increase in rx sales last quarter but still choose to get rid of some employees bc they just want to please stock holders who are the ones who really started the domino effect.

I think the number of pharm schools opening def. needs to stop bc there are around 10,000 new pharmD's each year and we don't need that.

I think schools, like NOVA, should only get one chance to get out of probation. If it does not, then it should be forced to close. Hopefully, you will still have a school to attend next year. :xf:

I think schools, like NOVA, should only get one chance to get out of probation. If it does not, then it should be forced to close. Hopefully, you will still have a school to attend next year. :xf:

And what happens to said students that are enrolled? They're SOL? It's an easy position to take once you've graduated.

But just curious...why did you capitalize "Nova"?

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device

And what happens to said students that are enrolled? They're SOL? It's an easy position to take once you've graduated.

You must be proud of your alma mater. Did you ask the same question when HICP students got screwed?

You must be proud of your alma mater. Did you ask the same question when HICP students got screwed?

Actually, no, I'm not proud...and quite disapppointed in where they've let a good program go. I'm being completely frank with you; it's been a very short course of time that they've let a solid program deteriorate. Neither of us know all of the circumstances though...faculty have moved to other schools, the economy/housing market in SoFla is a mess,, pharmacists at hospitals are being laid off, POWER is sweeping through the area.

But slamming the doors shut on these schools seems extreme to me...I'd hate to think they're irreparable.

And of course I thought the same for the HICP students.

Forgive any typos...I'm typing on the elliptical.

I wish these threads could stay on topic- the way these threads are, it's almost as if the pre-pharm threads are more professional than the ones with RPhs participating in them.

I've been interested in this topic (market throughout the nation) and up till now it's just been a blah blah fest, so I'm glad some people have given some substantive info.

RE: Foreign Grads/ Pharmacists
@ one of the 4-day NAPLEX review sessions that a chain pharmacy provided up here in the Bay Area, 80% of those participating were foreign graduates. Only a small handful were recent grads from schools throughout the country. It was a virtual 'united nations of pharmacy' with people from throughout the world! Interesting... So at least in California, I'd say that there is quite a bit of competition (in terms of numbers) for jobs with foreign graduates. As for a resume comparison, I leave that to the employers.

RE: the Job Market in the Los Angeles/ Orange County area.
Keep in mind, there are now more Pharm Schools IN California now, than 6-7 years ago. I'd definitely say that plays a role in the job market in Southern Cal. Everyone I know has a job *now* (Graduates from '08) who moved back to SoCal since graduation, but some are in residencies so we'll see what happens when their residencies end in June.

Actually, no, I'm not proud...and quite disapppointed in where they've let a good program go. I'm being completely frank with you; it's been a very short course of time that they've let a solid program deteriorate. Neither of us know all of the circumstances though...faculty have moved to other schools, the economy/housing market in SoFla is a mess,, pharmacists at hospitals are being laid off, POWER is sweeping through the area.

But slamming the doors shut on these schools seems extreme to me...I'd hate to think they're irreparable.

And of course I thought the same for the HICP students.

Forgive any typos...I'm typing on the elliptical.

You're typing on elliptical? See...if you'd ve stuck around and became a faculty, NSU wouldn't be in this mess. :smuggrin:

These are some interesting times for pharmacists and pharmacy students. I wonder how things will be a year from now. The job offers are scarce in Phoenix, and in parts of California. If it's tough now, I can only imagine how difficult it will be next year. Then again, there are plenty of availabilities in the Southeast US.

Oh, and for those actually following this thread for its substantive info:

Rite Aid sold its San Francisco pharmacies to Wags.

Essentially, there will be two giant players in California. WAGs and CVS, and a couple of small grocery chains.

lol i have to say i don't agree with that bc Nova students don't need that when they worked so hard to do well in their class. The solution would be to stop opening new schools and start to limit entering class size.

Pharmacy is one of the strongest careers as any health field so therefore it would take alot to tank it. After companies are finished laying off people then the economy should start to pick up.

And a few Longs drug stores were closed down when CVS purchased Longs.

Um, there were never any Longs in SF other than the one that recently opened up on Van Ness. There is a single Longs in SF now. Not sure what business sense this makes, but it's there.

CVS is all over the place in SoCal. None up here just yet.
From what I hear, CVS in LA is a pretty crap-tastic place to work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I hear, CVS in LA is a pretty crap-tastic place to work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Everything you heard is correct, and the only person who may try to "correct" you is OldTimer because he is quite likely on the board of directors of CVS or something.

I just got a retail job offer again last week (same place that offered it to me last fall). Good salary plus 15K bonus. I have as much work as I want as a relief pharmacist and we finally filled our open hospital positions within the last 2 months.

90 miles from major metro area, but not in total BFE either. Cheap cost of living, no commuting. I like it.

I just got a retail job offer again last week (same place that offered it to me last fall). Good salary plus 15K bonus. I have as much work as I want as a relief pharmacist and we finally filled our open hospital positions within the last 2 months.

90 miles from major metro area, but not in total BFE either. Cheap cost of living, no commuting. I like it.

May I ask where are you working? I am still looking for job since I got license last 2 months.

Everything you heard is correct, and the only person who may try to "correct" you is OldTimer because he is quite likely on the board of directors of CVS or something.

I am convinced he is a corporate spy placed here to try and repair CVS's chitty reputation. Or he is really old and has early onset Alzheimer’s disease. His short-term memory is starting to go. Everyday he wakes up he forgets how bad the day before was and happily skips back to work.

I am convinced he is a corporate spy placed here to try and repair CVS's chitty reputation. Or he is really old and has early onset Alzheimer’s disease. His short-term memory is starting to go. Everyday he wakes up he forgets how bad the day before was and happily skips back to work.

CVS's practices are really not patient or pharmacist friendly, I don't understand why he bothers defending them. I had no problem with him until he started rattling off CVS RxSupervisor talking points. He must be on Tom Ryan's chainmail list or something.