Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some students are able to move to Dallas while in Abeilne, I ask Mike Nall during my interview and that is what he said. I am also from Dallas. You can ask during your interview or call.

Other than the location, is there any advantages for choosing Dallas for p3 and p4?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad both of yalls interviews went well! =]
Thank you so much for the heads up and advice. Now the wait is just killing me. Hopefully we all get some great news early February!

does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file?
Mine was closed file because my interviewers admit that they don't know anything about my GPA or PCAT score.
I think it should always be this way, and all the schools where I have had interviews so far have been closed file.

Hey that's what I wanted to do as well. I called about a month ago and they told me when you're attending Abilene they're expecting you to stay there. There is a possibility of moving but it depends on how much space there is and your grades. At Amarillo they expect you to move after two years so I think it's just easier/a lot easier to move from Amarillo. That's just what one woman told me though so I'm not exactly sure how difficult it actually will be.
You're absolutely correct. For people who choose Abilene for the first 2 years, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you can't move to Dallas for the final 2 years, but according to the Director of Admissions this is rare. It will be based on space availability first, and then your grades. Although he didn't explain the reason why it would be tougher to transfer from Abilene, I'm guessing it's because they want to keep the already small size of the Abilene class as intact as possible throughout the 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the location, is there any advantages for choosing Dallas for p3 and p4?
Um The fact that Dallas is fun and entertaining. Lol. I don't know any advantage unless more sort of opportunity I guess. I am the wrong person to ask but for me I have family there so my room and board will be great. But one disadvantage I heard is traffic which is true especially even the highways have traffic when doing rotations compared to Abilene or Amarillo. Hope I helped a little :) Plus not everyone will want to go to Dallas because there is Lubbock residents who go home or stay in Amarillo. Mike Nall is really nice and I remember he said there has not being an issue with someone not getting where they want to go does what sold me because Amarillo was my original location due to Dallas. Plus is two you might decide to stay in Abilene or I might decide to stay also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's how it goes. You used to only be able to do P1 and P2 in Abilene, then you would have to change campuses. Amarillo could be all 4 years, or just the first 2. Recently it changed so that Abilene is open for all 4 years.

In Amarillo, you pick where you do your last 2 years at your interview. In the fall of your P2 year, you have the option to change campuses, given that the campus you want has space. So if you were originally AMA/AMA, but you decide that you want Dallas for your last 2 years (AMA/DAL), someone else who chose Dallas would have to give up their spot. This does happen. I have 4 P2 friends who were AMA/DAL who switched to AMA/AMA. I also have a P1 friend who plans to switch to Amarillo instead of Dallas because she wants to stay with the friends she made here.

Now, normally when someone gives up their Dallas spot, another AMA person will take it. But with what appears to be an increasing number of people deciding to stay in Amarillo, I would assume that they would offer any excess Dallas spots to Abilene. So when you pick Abilene, you are choosing all 4 years there with a chance that you might be able to switch later. No guarantees.

Also, if you want to change your campus assignment, e-mail Mike Nall or Mike Schwettmann ASAP and let them know. The sooner you let them know, the more likely you are to get the change. There are a few people in my class that were supposed to be in Abilene and switched to Amarillo a few weeks before class started.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's how it goes. You used to only be able to do P1 and P2 in Abilene, then you would have to change campuses. Amarillo could be all 4 years, or just the first 2. Recently it changed so that Abilene is open for all 4 years.

In Amarillo, you pick where you do your last 2 years at your interview. In the fall of your P2 year, you have the option to change campuses, given that the campus you want has space. So if you were originally AMA/AMA, but you decide that you want Dallas for your last 2 years (AMA/DAL), someone else who chose Dallas would have to give up their spot. This does happen. I have 4 P2 friends who were AMA/DAL who switched to AMA/AMA. I also have a P1 friend who plans to switch to Amarillo instead of Dallas because she wants to stay with the friends she made here.

Now, normally when someone gives up their Dallas spot, another AMA person will take it. But with what appears to be an increasing number of people deciding to stay in Amarillo, I would assume that they would offer any excess Dallas spots to Abilene. So when you pick Abilene, you are choosing all 4 years there with a chance that you might be able to switch later. No guarantees.

Also, if you want to change your campus assignment, e-mail Mike Nall or Mike Schwettmann ASAP and let them know. The sooner you let them know, the more likely you are to get the change. There are a few people in my class that were supposed to be in Abilene and switched to Amarillo a few weeks before class started.
My colleague in Amarillo is right. You are signing on to be in Abilene for 4 years when you commit to the Abilene campus. The downside I have heard about going back to Dallas is your rotations are spread out and you have to deal with traffic. Sometimes your rotations can be in Fort Worth and Denton and you still have to make it back to Dallas for class. There is no traffic in Abilene and you can get anywhere you need to be in 15 minutes. We are offered the chance to go to Dallas only if there is availability. We were given the example if there are 6 spots available and only 6 of us want to go, they will send all 6, but if 10 of us want to go then they will send the top 6 based upon GPA. It is not that bad to travel to Dallas from Abilene and many people take weekend trips there if there is nothing stressful coming up. We have experienced the same thing here where a lot of people thought they would want to transfer to Dallas, but have decided they prefer the Abilene area. Keep in mind that Abilene has a lower cost f living, so going to Dallas means more loans unless you have living arrangements available.

Have interview this Friday at Abilene. Been reading through the thread and just wanted to say thank you for all the advice. Good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday.

Have interview this Friday at Abilene. Been reading through the thread and just wanted to say thank you for all the advice. Good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday.

Let me know if you have any questions

Awesome, thanks for the great advice everyone!!
Also Good Luck to everyone interviewing today =]

Does Abilene has social events on because I have friends at Amarillo and they have events like Mr. Pharmacy pagent, winter social etc.
We do put on social events. We will be having a Spring formal coming up.

Does anyone know which hotels are closest to the school in Amarillo? Also do y'all have any recommendations for traveling?I'm going to by flying in because I don't have a car and will be coming in from Austin!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just got an interview invite from tech but it looks like we have to have every course completed by the end of this semester, does anyone know if they can allow us to finish in summer, I'll just need one course , a 3000 level course

Hey everyone,

I just got an interview invite from tech but it looks like we have to have every course completed by the end of this semester, does anyone know if they can allow us to finish in summer, I'll just need one course , a 3000 level course

Not 100% positive but I believe that any course that's not a science course can be done in the summer but I could be mixing this up with another school! I would double check with them but I think that if they gave you an interview invitation you should be okay!

Does anyone know which hotels are closest to the school in Amarillo? Also do y'all have any recommendations for traveling?I'm going to by flying in because I don't have a car and will be coming in from Austin!

I stayed at the Quality Inn at 1610 Coulter Drive. It was like 2-3 minutes drive from the school. I think you could probably even walk to the school from the hotel.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I need that as well and they're allowing me to take it in the summer. I think you need to call to confirm it with your advisor though.

I need that as well and they're allowing me to take it in the summer. I think you need to call to confirm it with your advisor though.
Thank you very much Eliafua....but it's best to fo this after acceptance. I believe

I stayed at the Best Western (now Quality Inn) on Coulter for my interview. It's really close, and while you could walk, I would not recommend it. There is no side walk, Amarillo gets pretty windy, and we do get snow here. You can take a cab, or, depending on your interview date, I may be able to give you a ride (I live by the school and I have to be there at 8 on Fridays for lab).

I stayed at Best Western Inn also. I used Jack&son taxi service. They are quick. It only costed me 4$. Make sure you bring some cash with you because minimum credits card is 10$.

Thanks everyone! I ended up booking the holiday inn because they have transportation from/to the airport and from/to the interview :)

So for those of us who interviewed in Abilene and Amarillo on 1/16, 1/23, and 1/30, I guess we will get our admission results this week since the Admissions Committee just had their meeting today. Good luck to everyone!

Early decision applicants waited a week until we heard back from the time they had their meeting. But hopefully y'all will hear something back by this week. It's a painful wait haha.

Waiting has become my enemy hahahah

I had my interview Friday Jan. 30th. We were told those who interviewed on 1/16 and 1/23( Amarillo canceled interviews due to weather expect for the interviewees who were already in Amarillo, i think four people,) will find out this week. For 1/30 and Feb interview dates the adcom will meet on 2/23 and we will find out the next day.

Please do let me know if this is different from what you were told =]

I would love to hear back this week also. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I hope they send out emails tomorrow.

Has anyone heard anything yet?
Well, it's now 5 PM and apparently no one has heard anything. Has anyone tried contacting the Admissions Office? Maybe I'll call them Monday morning.

Has anyone who's not early admission received an interview yet?

Okay guys, so I spoke to Mr. Schwettmann this morning and he told me that the Admissions Committee hasn't met but they will be having their meeting this afternoon. Offers will be definitely coming out this week.

Hey Tacokel Im early admissions and have been accepted but I stay active in the feed and there have been a couple of interview dates that have come and gone and that group is supposed to hear back this week

Tacokel, the school conducts interviews every Friday in Amarillo and Abilene, which started on 1/16 and running all the way through March. I hope that helps, and good luck to you!

Last edited:

I had my interview on Jan 30th. TTU SOP will be giving interview invites all the way through March.

Okay guys, so I spoke to Mr. Schwettmann this morning and he told me that the Admissions Committee hasn't met but they will be having their meeting this afternoon. Offers will be definitely coming out this week.

Do you know which interview dates will be reviewed?

I had my interview on Jan 30th. TTU SOP will be giving interview invites all the way through March.

Do you know which interview dates will be reviewed?
Sorry, I forgot to ask him. But when I had my interview on January 16th, I was told that all applications from people who interviewed in January will be reviewed at the same time. But I don't know if anything has changed since then. I guess we will find out either late today or tomorrow.

Sorry, I forgot to ask him. But when I had my interview on January 16th, I was told that all applications from people who interviewed in January will be reviewed at the same time. But I don't know if anything has changed since then. I guess we will find out either late today or tomorrow.
Did Mike tell you today or tomorrow? I would think like next Monday at the earliest honestly.. :(

Did Mike tell you today or tomorrow? I would think like next Monday at the earliest honestly.. :(
He didn't say it's going to be today or tomorrow. He just said "absolutely this week". :)

I'm also guessing (and hoping) that they would want to knock this out before Friday because they would be super busy the entire day on Friday dealing with interviews.

I remember how painful this wait was. I bet you will hear in thursday after 3pm. Just a guess.

Tacokel, the school conducts interviews every Friday in Amarillo and Abilene, which started on 1/16 and running all the way through March. I hope that helps, and good luck to you!

Thanks so much!! And thank you @raider21!

Yeah the wait is a killer but it's so so worth it!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartments in Amarillo? I might look around at apartments to get a general idea depending on how drained I feel after my interview haha

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartments in Amarillo? I might look around at apartments to get a general idea depending on how drained I feel after my interview haha
Most popular ones for P1s are Renaissance, Winchester, and Quail Creek.

Just called the school, Mrs. Innis, said we should find out Wed or Thurs. =)

Most popular ones for P1s are Renaissance, Winchester, and Quail Creek.
Is anyone of them within walking distance to the school? Do you know the approximate cost for a 1 bedroom apt?

Last edited: