Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got into the Amarillo-Dallas program!!!!! So all you waitlisters out there stay positive! Mr. Mike told me earlier this year that in previous years they have let in as few as 12 and as many as 35 off of the waitlist. Good luck everyone!:luck:

Congrats Rose, I was also waitlisted and Mike gave me the same range. I am trying so hard to be positive:xf:....I wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptance, I guess the waitlist is really moving. You said earlier that you were in the top quarter and I was told I was in the top 20.... hmmmm, I desperately hope that I am getting closer on the list.:xf:

Awww thanks!!! Yeah, be hopeful. I didn't think I was that high up on the list. I wish you the best of luck!

I got my letter.... I can't quite make it out, but it looks like it was mailed on May 4. It had more confetti than I was expecting.......but I'm not complaining

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i talked to him couple of days ago too.. i m like in the late 50s out of 80...so no texas tech for me...
this is by far the most excruciating admission process for any school...and to be honest not worth it..i bet people who got in would disagree..but there about 400+ people who got rejected...

There are a bunch of people who got in who would agree. They just aren't future P1s, they are current students.

Hey everyone I just received a called today from Mike! I was in the middle of the list so there's still hope! Now I can sit back and relax! Class of 2015! woo!

Hey everyone I just received a called today from Mike! I was in the middle of the list so there's still hope! Now I can sit back and relax! Class of 2015! woo!

Ohhh I was told I was in the middle too! Maybe I am next:xf:

Hello everyone! I just recently found out that I’ve been accepted to the University of Texas SOP off of the waitlist, but I’ve already accepted a seat at Texas Tech, and now I have to make a decision. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while, but this is my first actual post, and I could really use some insight from current students, so if you guys could take a little time and answer any one (or all) of these questions, I’d be VERY grateful.

1. What do you wish you had known about the school you chose beforehand?
2. What are some pros & cons based on your experience?
3. Why did you choose the school you’re attending?
4. How important is school ranking in the job market? (and what are the criteria that ranking is based on, because I’d like to know how they’re evaluated in the first place.)

Anything else you’d like to add is of course welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share! Hope to hear from ya’ll soon! :)

Hello everyone! I just recently found out that I’ve been accepted to the University of Texas SOP off of the waitlist, but I’ve already accepted a seat at Texas Tech, and now I have to make a decision. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while, but this is my first actual post, and I could really use some insight from current students, so if you guys could take a little time and answer any one (or all) of these questions, I’d be VERY grateful.

4. How important is school ranking in the job market? (and what are the criteria that ranking is based on, because I’d like to know how they’re evaluated in the first place.)

Anything else you’d like to add is of course welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share! Hope to hear from ya’ll soon! :)

1. I pretty much knew what I signed up for so nothin was really a surprise
2. Pros: great school with great student body and facilities, cons: the interview process was the most stressful for me out of the three that I had
3. I chose this school because of it's location and name. And mostly because it was my first choice
4. I think ranking is somewhat important. Part of the reason I chose this school because Ilafter many discussions with my dad who is an expert in this stuff we felt it is important which school I go to in order to be competitive in today's job market. As for how I rank the schools or what I think make it a good school, well you just have to do your research about the school and decide from there

All inall I would suggest you choose which one you really liked best not based on which is better!

Congratulations on getting in UT ! good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

1. I don't know which location you're accepted at, but if you're at Abilene, expect 80% of your classes to be on a video screen. I know the Amarillo students hate when their classes are on the video moniter too. I really wish I had realized how inconvenient it is to share professors between two campuses.
2. I think pros and cons are really a personal thing. I felt like location was a pro for me, but it depends on where you're comfortable living. I felt like there were less research opportunities at Tech, since they don't offer the dual PhD program, it seems that research isn't really their focus. Of course, if you're not into the research/development path then this won't really effect you.
3. I chose Tech because I had already lived in Abilene for a year. UT was my first choice, but ehh what can ya do? I was also accepted to UIW but the thought of paying for tuition there scared the crap outta me. I also felt like there could be curriculum issues since they're newer, but the money was the main thing.
4. Where you go is important yes. But, wherever you go, you'll have opportunities to join groups/fraternities that will allow you to network with numerous people in the field. So yeah, people are impressed when I say I go to Tech. But once you get into your third and fourth year, the groups you network within (APhA, Texas Pharmacy Association etc.) become especially important too.

Yay, I got a call from Mike today......I was offerred a spot for the Amarillo/Dallas program. I am so excited!!!!!!:love:

Thanks Ace. Mike told me that I was at the top 20 of the waiting list, he didn't give me a precise number.....Good luck to you.

How long does it take to be added to the facebook page? I requested to join four days ago and have not heard any reply.

Just wondering if anyone got accepted or got interviews with 60's on PCAT. I know Texas Tech PCAT average past few years has been low 70's so I'm assuming there were people who got accepted with high 60's on PCAT. With a good GPA and extra work, it sounds possible.

Just wondering if anyone got accepted or got interviews with 60's on PCAT. I know Texas Tech PCAT average past few years has been low 70's so I'm assuming there were people who got accepted with high 60's on PCAT. With a good GPA and extra work, it sounds possible.

My PCAT composite was in the 50s and I got in.

Is there a supplemental application that must be filled out for Texas Tech, or do they just require the Pharmcas. I haven't seen any supplemental forms on the website, but I found something saying that I should send my transcripts and reference letters to them in here: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/programs/pharmd/apps.aspx

I'm really not sure what to send Texas Tech.

Can someone give me directions to where the supplemental application is at? I thought I found it but it was an application for students who are currently in Texas Tech.

Can someone give me directions to where the supplemental application is at? I thought I found it but it was an application for students who are currently in Texas Tech.

You might want to create a new thread for this application cycle (applying for fall 2012). The application has changed since last year and the advice we can offer no longer applies. You can also e-mail the school. Good luck with your applications :)

You might want to create a new thread for this application cycle (applying for fall 2012). The application has changed since last year and the advice we can offer no longer applies. You can also e-mail the school. Good luck with your applications :)

True that ;) (HELLO FELLOW CLASSMATE HAHA)

Complete high jack hahah but I am applying for the fall 2013 cycle. Anyone know how I should address Mike Nall? Mr.? Dr.? Mike? He is the advisor for students with last names T through Z. THANKS:cool:

Hi all, just wanted to post a reply since I was in your same place last year.

Every three years Tech proposes a strategic plan for what they want to get out of the next 3 years. Included in this is a breakdown of what they want from an applicant pool.

• Avg. GPA of 3.6
  • 75 composite on PCAT
  • they would like 75% of admitted students to have greater than 3 years of undergrad
  • they would like 52% of admitted student to have a baccalaureate degree
  • 80 median on PCAT verbal
  • 77 median on PCAT reading
Also, they WILL still be doing rolling admissions, but there were some issues this past year w/ having to call people less than a week before the semester started because others would drop/change their mind/get accepted elsewhere. So, I'm guessing that was one reason for moving the deadline up. Plus having the latest deadline (March 15th) last year meant that they got bombarded by last minute apps from people who hadn't gotten in elsewhere. If anyone has any questions, just PM me, otherwise I'll hopefully see some of you at the Abilene interviews!

hmm interesting how they want 80 and 77 on verbal and reading PCAT scores. That would mean they, considering they will stay with low 70's avg PCAT composite, extremely low biology, chemistry and math scores.

The advisor I spoke to told me that my low reading and verbal scores would not matter all that much since my other scores were pretty high.

Where could we find those numbers? is it posted on Tech's site?

I'm applying to pharmacy school for Fall '13. I have around a 3.44 overall and 3.6 pre-req GPA, as well as a 80 on the PCAT. I have research experience in pharmaceutics at the UT COP as well as shadowing/volunteer experience. Am I competitive enough for TTUHSC Pharm ?

I'm applying to pharmacy school for Fall '13. I have around a 3.44 overall and 3.6 pre-req GPA, as well as a 80 on the PCAT. I have research experience in pharmaceutics at the UT COP as well as shadowing/volunteer experience. Am I competitive enough for TTUHSC Pharm ?

No one on here can answer this for you... It's all relative.:)

You can look at Tech's website for previous year stats.

Here is the link:
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/prospective/studentstats.aspx

Mike Schwettman called yesterday. I am accepted for 2012 fall. OMG! I have a week!

NICE! but I'm confused. arnt you applying for fall 2013 admissions?!? Congratulations!

Yes I was too confused haha

I was told that they needed someone to fill a spot and looking at the 2013 early decision applicants, my application stood out. :confused:
So I was accepted without an interview... I think I was extremely lucky :luck:

Yes I was too confused haha

I was told that they needed someone to fill a spot and looking at the 2013 early decision applicants, my application stood out. :confused:
So I was accepted without an interview... I think I was extremely lucky :luck:

wow. no interview??

Wow that is unusual. You mind sharing your stats? I'm curious.

No, I don't mind at all

I applied for early decision for 2013 entrance at Texas Tech. No other schools. (Technically, you're not supposed to apply to any other school if you apply for early decision until you find out you got rejected)

Pre-req GPA: 3.69 (I already have a BS and a MS. I retook some pre-req classes, 8 classes to be exact. 4.00 post bacc GPA)

PCAT: 69 (Bio- 87, Chem- 89, Math- 78, Verbal- 50, Reading- 39. Theses numbers may not be totally accurate actually. Possibly off by a couple points here and there)

Volunteered at hospital pharmacy for 2 years. (Developed very good relationship with pharmacist I worked with and became good friends. Had dinner regularly at his place with his family. Ended up writing me a very well written rec letter for me.
Econ prof from post-bacc class wrote me another rec letter. Also was very close to her. I am interested in getting an MBA and she was very encouraging.

Worked for 2 and half years on clinical research at a medical school. Bipolar and Alzheimer's Disease. Both papers published.

As mentioned above, have a BS in Biology and a MS in Applied Cognition and Neuroscience.

Besides all my stats, I think Texas Tech thought highly of my consistent pursue of pharmacy at Texas Tech. I applied 2 years ago but didn't get any interviews. My GPA and PCAT were way below avg, 3.01 pre-req GPA and 54 PCAT. I decided to go back to school and retake some classes since I knew Tech replaces grades. Also retook PCAT and did much better.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

No, I don't mind at all

I applied for early decision for 2013 entrance at Texas Tech. No other schools. (Technically, you're not supposed to apply to any other school if you apply for early decision until you find out you got rejected)

Pre-req GPA: 3.69 (I already have a BS and a MS. I retook some pre-req classes, 8 classes to be exact. 4.00 post bacc GPA)

PCAT: 69 (Bio- 87, Chem- 89, Math- 78, Verbal- 50, Reading- 39. Theses numbers may not be totally accurate actually. Possibly off by a couple points here and there)

Volunteered at hospital pharmacy for 2 years. (Developed very good relationship with pharmacist I worked with and became good friends. Had dinner regularly at his place with his family. Ended up writing me a very well written rec letter for me.
Econ prof from post-bacc class wrote me another rec letter. Also was very close to her. I am interested in getting an MBA and she was very encouraging.

Worked for 2 and half years on clinical research at a medical school. Bipolar and Alzheimer's Disease. Both papers published.

As mentioned above, have a BS in Biology and a MS in Applied Cognition and Neuroscience.

Besides all my stats, I think Texas Tech thought highly of my consistent pursue of pharmacy at Texas Tech. I applied 2 years ago but didn't get any interviews. My GPA and PCAT were way below avg, 3.01 pre-req GPA and 54 PCAT. I decided to go back to school and retake some classes since I knew Tech replaces grades. Also retook PCAT and did much better.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

So if you retake a pre-req course Tech only takes the second of the scores in to consideration or is it a composite of both?

So if you retake a pre-req course Tech only takes the second of the scores in to consideration or is it a composite of both?

Yes, Tech will only take the latest grade. That means that if you have a B the first time and a C the second time, they'll take the C.:cool:

Yes, Tech will only take the latest grade. That means that if you have a B the first time and a C the second time, they'll take the C.:cool:

Wow that's awesome most places take both attempts in to consideration.