Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bazuka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got an interview at Tech in about a week or so. This is my very first interview and its going to be a 10 hour day. I am so scared. Its going to be a critical thinking test, an essay, a group presentation, and an interview.

Does anyone have any idea about all that? I am worried!!! What kind of questions do they ask? And how do I prepare for all the work?!!??!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Got an interview at Tech in about a week or so. This is my very first interview and its going to be a 10 hour day. I am so scared. Its going to be a critical thinking test, an essay, a group presentation, and an interview.

Does anyone have any idea about all that? I am worried!!! What kind of questions do they ask? And how do I prepare for all the work?!!??!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yeah to add to ur post. I have an interview at Tech too but mine is in a month. I'm totally freaked out too. I get really nervous sometimes. Any interview advice from people who have intervied before with be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

Well I go to UT, but I interviewed at Tech and was accepted so I can try and give my point of view.

Like I tell everybody, the first thing you have to do is start relaxing! You need to not freak yourself out. Just know that obviously your app was good enough to get an interview so there is something they already like about you. My friend always used to tell me that going into an interview, it's yours to lose. A good interview should solidify their good impression of you. A bad interview will raise some red flags. I dont say this to scare you, just to show that calming down and going in with confidence can go a long way.

But yea, for Tech, it really is a long and exhausting day. Its not that any of it is hard, its just mentally draining cause you are trying to make sure you are doing everything right and always trying to make a good impression. It gets tiring. The essay stuff and group stuff is cake though, don't sweat it. Read all the interview feedback stuff for Tech and they basically ask those same questions. Know who you are, why you chose pharmacy, what advantages and disadvantages you have, and what sets you apart from the rest. At UT, that was basically the first question they asked me. "Why choose you over anyone else?" (along those lines)

Anything else, I'd be happy to try and help.

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasPharm Doc covered pretty much everything, but I'll go into detail.

Heres Tech's current catalog and around page 27 is where i'm getting my information.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/academicinfo/docs/currentcatalog/2009/Catalog_09_2010.pdf

"The interview will start with welcome and general directions for the day. It is not an assessment, simply a time to get to know you and for you to get to know the other applicants that will be with you for the day. Your performance in other activities during the day will be assessed to determine an overall Interview Score."

So nothing to worry about for the first part. Last year we measured coat sizes and turned in immunization paperwork.

"You will be asked to complete a creative writing exercise on a topic that you will be given for that day. We will be assessing your grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure. Most importantly, we will be looking to see if you develop a logical argument for your points and whether you present a comprehensive analysis. You should also come to a conclusion about what you think about the topic."

It's like the PCAT writing section. You'll be scored on grammar and logical arguments. In my opinion the topic Tech gave us was a lot easier to write about than the topics I had to write about on my PCAT.

"You will take a standardized test to assess your critical thinking abilities. Pharmacy requires you take information from multiple sources and critically analyze the information relative to a specific patient’s
problem with their medication. This test will allow us to assess your basic abilities to accomplish these ends. Again, the content is not important and you cannot prepare for the test."

You are not meant to do well on this test. If you score really high, there is a chance you are schizophrenic. They will tell you this before taking this test. All it is is a way to see how you think through and process certain information. I know for me there were large chunks of the test where I had no idea what the question was asking, and other parts where I knew the answer automatically. There is no way to study for it, just relax and do your best.

"As a pharmacist, you will be required to work effectively with a team of physicians, nurses and other pharmacists to solve patient and operational problems. To allow us to determine your basic teaming skills, you will be in a group of 5-6 other students and asked to group problem solving on a potential
pharmacy problem. You do not need to know anything about pharmacy beyond what you have learned in your pre-pharmacy courses; we are most interested in your abilities to work within a group in reaching a solution."

As it says, you do not need to know anything further than your prepharm course work. My best advice is to be heard but not to take over. You want to find a balance where your opinions get heard by the group but you don't want to be controlling the group by never shutting up or listening to others.

"The final assessments come from one-on-one interviews with faculty members, pharmacists who assist in evaluating students and one of our existing students. They will be interested in why you want to be a pharmacist, any experiences you have had with pharmacy, your extracurricular activities while in college, your interpersonal abilities, your strengths, and weaknesses. You will be able to really “tell your
story” in these sessions, so think about these types of general questions before you come, not to have a “predetermined answer” – we can always spot an answer that is not genuine – but rather your real thoughts and ideas. There will be two individuals interviewing you."

Finally, near the end of your day, you'll reach the interview. I can't say what questions we'll be asking you but I will say to look at TexasPharm Doc's advice. I'll also tell you that I will be interviewing prospective students for most of the interview days in February and I'm pretty friendly. We're not here to bite your heads off, just to learn more about you.

Lastly I want to say, don't be nervous. You might not think we can tell, but trust me, we can tell. Exude confidence and we'll believe you're confident, show enthusiasm and we'll believe you want to be here. Talk to faculty, talk to us current students, talk to your potential classmates, and just try to enjoy the experience. It's going to be a long day, why be nervous for all of it? Relax and enjoy it.

Sorry for the long post, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. There is a current Texas Tech thread going on and you can read through that if you want. You can use the search function or look at my previous posts to find it. Good Luck!

Finally, near the end of your day, you'll reach the interview. I can't say what questions we'll be asking you but I will say to look at TexasPharm Doc's advice. I'll also tell you that I will be interviewing prospective students for most of the interview days in February and I'm pretty friendly. We're not here to bite your heads off, just to learn more about you.

Lastly I want to say, don't be nervous. You might not think we can tell, but trust me, we can tell. Exude confidence and we'll believe you're confident, show enthusiasm and we'll believe you want to be here. Talk to faculty, talk to us current students, talk to your potential classmates, and just try to enjoy the experience. It's going to be a long day, why be nervous for all of it? Relax and enjoy it.

Sorry for the long post, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. There is a current Texas Tech thread going on and you can read through that if you want. You can use the search function or look at my previous posts to find it. Good Luck!

To add onto this great advice, I do remember the Tech interview was set up to where you have one faculty member (pharmacist, doctor, professor, etc.) and one student. In my interview they pretty much alternated between themselves in asking questions. Definitely make sure you pay as much attention to the student as you do the faculty member. This may seem like dumb advice, but you don't want to get all worked up trying to impress just the faculty....that student has good influence too. So address the both of em and give them both equal eye contact.

And make sure during the group activity you give off confidence in your answers, cause the faculty that is "grading" this will start asking you questions to defend your position.

Of course any interview will bring you stress and make you nervous. No need to fret though because the long day will eventually make you less nervous and being around the students and faculty all day will make you adapt to the environment. It's kind of nice because most interviews are set later in the day, after lunch. So you'll get to talk to several students and ask questions... or get ideas of questions to ask during your interviews. Please don't ask anyone what questions will be asked during your interview. No matter what you hear, the questions will change each year, but the most important thing to remember is that if you know yourself and are able to recall personal experiences, you'll be fine. It is set up with a professor/faculty member and a current student. I honestly liked having the student in the interview because you're able to relate to them. My interview with U of H seemed more intimidating because it was a one on one with faculty. I like the idea of having two people try and get to know you versus one person's opinion. If you have any other questions, keep em coming! We're here to help!

Also, is anyone planning on applying for the dual PharmD/MBA program?

TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY
HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER SCHOOL OF PHARMACY
PHARM. D CANDIDATE 2013

Hi, everyone!

I noticed that Texas Tech fall 2011 application is open. The deadline is December 15th??? Didnt it used to be March 15th? Is this application for early decision or regular admission? Or are they one and the same? I am confused. :-(

Wow, you are right! I just checked their website and the deadline is December 15. I guess I should get cracking on it right now!:eek:

Can someone tell me if there are any application essays?

There is a pharmacy experience essay.

Can you tell me where in the application you saw the topic?
I looked through the online application and didn't see anything.

You actually have to complete and submit the HSC General Information part of the application and then when that is done more tabs appear for you to click on to continue through the rest of the application. A required forms box, also appears and list 10 forms that must be completed. The pharmacy experience essay is located under required forms and is actually the first one listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was thinking I have 6 months to go....Bummer....Now it's 3

Hmm.. I wonder why they moved up the deadline this year. Well, good luck to you guys! I've heard Tech has one of the more arduous interview days in comparison to the other schools in Texas.

They probably wanted to beat UT Austin's deadline

Question: Is it ok to send more than three letters of recommendations? Tech says yes, but only 3 will be used. Do they randomly pick three or do they use the best ones?

Also, should I tell my recommenders that I would like to have access to the recommendations they write? If I would like to mail the forms myself, is it rude to ask them that?

I took Bio 1 twice. Do I need to list it twice or just one ( the last one). Texas tech takes your second, better grade. I appreciate your response

I took Bio 1 twice. Do I need to list it twice or just one ( the last one). Texas tech takes your second, better grade. I appreciate your response

I believe you only list the last one you took. That's what I did. Actually I don't think the online application will let you list it twice anyway.

Did anyone else get the email from your personal advisor? This is the only school that's done that for me so far. I just thought that was nice service, especially since I haven't finished the applciation yet and might have some questions. Now I know exactly who to contact!

Did anyone else get the email from your personal advisor? This is the only school that's done that for me so far. I just thought that was nice service, especially since I haven't finished the applciation yet and might have some questions. Now I know exactly who to contact!

Yes, I got an email about my personal advisor. It was actually in my junk email so I feel lucky that I saw it. I think that's it great that they are doing that for us. It will hopefully make it easier to get a question answered. :thumbup:

Yes, I got an email too.
Do you guys know if Tech looks favorably at applications who are degreed in biology, chemistry etc....????

Yes, I got an email too.
Do you guys know if Tech looks favorably at applications who are degreed in biology, chemistry etc....????

I wonder too if they favor degreed students...hmmmmm

Are they still doing rolling admissions? I'm pretty sure the deadline last year was much later because my best friend submitted her application at the last minute possible.

Hi all, just wanted to post a reply since I was in your same place last year.

Every three years Tech proposes a strategic plan for what they want to get out of the next 3 years. Included in this is a breakdown of what they want from an applicant pool.

• Avg. GPA of 3.6
  • 75 composite on PCAT
  • they would like 75% of admitted students to have greater than 3 years of undergrad
  • they would like 52% of admitted student to have a baccalaureate degree
  • 80 median on PCAT verbal
  • 77 median on PCAT reading
Also, they WILL still be doing rolling admissions, but there were some issues this past year w/ having to call people less than a week before the semester started because others would drop/change their mind/get accepted elsewhere. So, I'm guessing that was one reason for moving the deadline up. Plus having the latest deadline (March 15th) last year meant that they got bombarded by last minute apps from people who hadn't gotten in elsewhere. If anyone has any questions, just PM me, otherwise I'll hopefully see some of you at the Abilene interviews!

Do you know if they've started sending out interview invitations yet?

they typically send out invites the week after the app deadline. or that's the way it's been done in the past.

But doesn't rolling admissions mean that applications will be looked at in the order they're received and thus interview invites will be sent out to those that seem a good fit before the deadline?

Tech's rolling admissions=
All app's are received and ppl sign up for interview dates. SIGN UP FOR THE EARLIEST INTERVIEW DATE. They will look over all the applications+interviews from the first couple interview dates and choose the top people from that pool. Then the next few interview dates will occur and they will look over ALL the unchosen applicants from the first interviews plus the new people that interviewed and then choose the top people from that pool. So don't feel like you have to get your application in right this second to have the best chance, because it really hinges on your interview date that determines how many times your app will be considered (assuming you get an interview).

Thanks for the helpful information ShineBrite! Now I don't feel so bad about diddley-daddling with my Tech application. :laugh:

Hi all, just wanted to post a reply since I was in your same place last year.

Every three years Tech proposes a strategic plan for what they want to get out of the next 3 years. Included in this is a breakdown of what they want from an applicant pool.

• Avg. GPA of 3.6
  • 75 composite on PCAT
  • they would like 75% of admitted students to have greater than 3 years of undergrad
  • they would like 52% of admitted student to have a baccalaureate degree
  • 80 median on PCAT verbal
  • 77 median on PCAT reading
Also, they WILL still be doing rolling admissions, but there were some issues this past year w/ having to call people less than a week before the semester started because others would drop/change their mind/get accepted elsewhere. So, I'm guessing that was one reason for moving the deadline up. Plus having the latest deadline (March 15th) last year meant that they got bombarded by last minute apps from people who hadn't gotten in elsewhere. If anyone has any questions, just PM me, otherwise I'll hopefully see some of you at the Abilene interviews!

Thanks for the info. A representative that gave a presentation a few weeks ago at UT Austin said that this year they are not really doing "rolling" admissions.

Edit: I just saw your other post above...

They will start giving out interview offers in the first week of December.

I'm almost done with my app but I have trouble asking my prof to write me a LOR and send it fast. He's a super busy person, but I know he'll write a good letter.
So far I get an OK from one prof already and probably from an MD I know for a long time.
I wonder if I can ask someone I volunteered for to write me a letter, instead of asking my busy prof. She knows me and likes my work. I don't know if that would be considered appropriate letter for Tech.

I'm still in the process. What classes qualify for the three thousand level courses? Could I use genetics from utexas Austin?

I'm still in the process. What classes qualify for the three thousand level courses? Could I use genetics from utexas Austin?

Did you get the email from your advisor with Tech? I'd ask them. I remember they were pretty specific about what they would and wouldn't accept. I would think that Genetics would count since it's an upper-division biology course, but I'd still ask to make sure, especially since UT has their own way of numbering classes.

Guys, are you including personal statement in your Tech application? If so, are you focusing more on diversity and life experiences or on the reasons for why pharmacy? Or is "why pharmacy"better to be answered in pharmacy experince essay??

I came to this country as a refugee and most of my life before that was a struggle -- went through war, lived in a refugee camp for years etc. I could write a book about my struggles. The thing is, I would not like the admission committee to think that I am asking for pitty. How do I go around this????

^^ I think it is good to include that information. It is through your struggles and hardships that have probably lead you to set the goals you have made. Admissions committee won't "pity" you in my opinion. Try to tie your struggles into why you chose pharmacy as your career path.

BTW...thanks lauradiddle. I e-mailed my advisor and they said that genetics would be accepted.

Guys, are you including personal statement in your Tech application? If so, are you focusing more on diversity and life experiences or on the reasons for why pharmacy? Or is "why pharmacy"better to be answered in pharmacy experince essay??

I came to this country as a refugee and most of my life before that was a struggle -- went through war, lived in a refugee camp for years etc. I could write a book about my struggles. The thing is, I would not like the admission committee to think that I am asking for pitty. How do I go around this????
dxb8307, I can relate to you somewhat although I'm not a refugee.
IMO, I tried to recap my struggling experience and only focus to those that made me decide to do pharmacy. I had to choose words carefully so that it doesn't sound so pitiful.

Thanks for your input. Also, when I talk about other reasons for pharmacy, is it ok to say in yout PS that you'd like to be a parent one day and that career in pharmacy provides good work-life balance???

Thanks for your input. Also, when I talk about other reasons for pharmacy, is it ok to say in yout PS that you'd like to be a parent one day and that career in pharmacy provides good work-life balance???
I'm not sure about the entire context that you decide to put that point in. Personally, I dont think it can balance work-life situation, but it's just my opinion.
When in doubt, ask around and have someone really good to proofread it for you, OR don't put it in at all.
There wasn't a requirement of how long the essay should be, however, I tried to narrow key points to 800 words (and I still thought that was a lot, yet I couldn't cut it any shorter :( ). I tried to avoid saying anything too abstract- which will take 1-2 sentence later to explain why I said it, then it becomes longer and longer.
Do u live in TX?

I got an email about 2 days ago from my advisor. She told me to make sure my reference letters be submitted soon because the admissions committee will be meeting soon and that she wants me to be in that review. All of my letters have been submitted today! Hopefully being early will play an advantage!

I think you just need to shodow a pharmacist for a day or two and write an essay about your impressions of the pharmacy. I am not done with the essay either but I was too pretty disappointed with the early deadline.

Guys, are you writing 2 page pharmacy experience essay???? It seems like a lot to me.

NervousForSure, what do you mean it is not about content?

They don't care about what you are writing about. They are just checking your writing skills like grammar and stuff.

I'm going to write two pages but that's because I work at a pharmacy so I have a lot of experience.