Texas Tech applicants 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got nothing in the mail today either. :(

I'll check back with you guys tomorrow.

Same here in South Texas :) ^^ Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is off topic but Id just like to say a certain BIOL 1403+1404 professor made my life a living hell at Tech lol

lol i had him too!!! def. prepared me!

I got my beautiful confetti filled letter today!! YAYYYYYY I knew it the second I shook the envelope!! I have been dreaming of putting the dancing banana for so long!! ...:banana: and here is his friend the dancing monkey:zip: and this is just me:biglove: (sooo me :p). Good luck to everyone else waiting... I wish you all the best! Hello Class of 2013!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your Merlin account updated too? I have a feeling I'm gonna be wait listed again. I hear Tech at least lets you know where you are relative to everyone else, so that's very cool of them.

Is your Merlin account updated too? I have a feeling I'm gonna be wait listed again. I hear Tech at least lets you know where you are relative to everyone else, so that's very cool of them.

Hi! Actually I checked the Merlin acct as well n no it hasn't been updated yet... I think they're are probably going to do it on Monday, or sometime later next week.
Anyways, don't worry, just have faith and good luck!! I'll be rooting for you :)

Hey guys, just wanted to update you and say that I got a letter in the mail today. Hope everyone achieves their dreams! Remember, life is not all about money. Life is about happiness and doing something that you really like to do. If you haven't checked your mail you should do so now!

CONGRATS GUYS! I wonder if there are gonna be acceptances in the mail on monday. I'm hoping that there is a slight delay and I'll receive it on monday. HOPE HOPE HOPE! If not, I guess there will be a wait-listed or rejection letter on its way towards my mailbox.

Last edited:
CONGRATS GUYS! I wonder if there are gonna be acceptances in the mail on monday. I'm hoping that there is a slight delay and I'll receive it on monday. HOPE HOPE HOPE! If not, I guess there will be a wait-listed or rejection letter on its way towards my mailbox.

Klaochh, did you get anything yet? I haven't!!! :(:(
I'm guessing this means I'm waitlisted or rejected. My online status has not been updated yet either. If I don't hear something by Wed. I think I'll call them. Bummer. Just wondering if you have heard anything?

I'm guessing this means I'm waitlisted or rejected. My online status has not been updated yet either. If I don't hear something by Wed. I think I'll call them. Bummer. Just wondering if you have heard anything?

Hey, nothing here at my end either :(

Hi WestTXisGr8 & glory4england, nothing in my mail :( *sniffles* I hope our acceptances are delayed and will suprise us soon! oh acceptance letters, don't let us down...

Hello fellow rejects, I called the admissions office and I was informed that the selection process is basically done. Now the adcom is going to meet in about a week to determine their "alternate" list and they anticipate admitting a few students from that list but I d now start looking for alternate things to do. Although they assured me that those who were not admitted should not lose hope, I think that those are simply just words of encouragement. Anyway congratulations to all who got in and I guess the rest of us will just be reapplicants or go into other things.

"The hustle is a puzzle, each piece is a fraction, and every word thats understood is a transaction."

The school told me everyone that got an interview gets the option of being on the waiting list, then they told westtxgrl they only put 40 peoples on the waiting list then they post above me calls and they say they have to meet again to decide who is going to be on it. I am lost :(. I hope y'all are right or that means what some 200 people could theoretically be on the waiting list.

Well, if this helps, this is what I was told today:

I was told the Committee met again on Friday and gave the last of the offers to be sent out. The person in charge of sending those was sick yesterday. So those last offers are now being mailed. After that, they will be working on the alternate list. So just be patient a little while longer.

So keep your fingers crossed. There may still be hope for us!!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks WestTXisGr8! Your info was much helpful *Fingers Crossed!!* :xf::luck:

I just don't see the point in the secrecy behind the admissions process. What's to be gained out of not letting people know where they stand? Presumably, they compiled a list of applicants and the data is readily available. It should be easy to say "hey, you're last on the list, don't bother" or "you're number 10 on the waiting list, there's a good chance of you getting in."

I just don't see the point in the secrecy behind the admissions process. What's to be gained out of not letting people know where they stand? Presumably, they compiled a list of applicants and the data is readily available. It should be easy to say "hey, you're last on the list, don't bother" or "you're number 10 on the waiting list, there's a good chance of you getting in."

I really agree with you, I don't get it either.

Last year, I waited about a week or so after I received my waitlist letter before I called Lisa. She was able to let me know exactly where I was on the waitlist. So I think once you get your waitlist letter, you can call and nicely ask them where you stand. I hope this helped.

Hi, I'm so confused about the criminal background check... the paperwork that we fax in... there's a line where you are supposed to list prior criminal history... I have 3 speeding tickets on my driving record... but i took defensive driving for only two... how long am I supposed to go back?? My first was in 2005, do I include this?

Also regarding fafsa, did anyone who was found as an independant, report their parents info anyway... does it matter?

If someone could please let me know, I would REALLY appreciate it.
(I'm still so insanely happy about my acceptance :biglove:)

Hi, I'm so confused about the criminal background check... the paperwork that we fax in... there's a line where you are supposed to list prior criminal history... I have 3 speeding tickets on my driving record... but i took defensive driving for only two... how long am I supposed to go back?? My first was in 2005, do I include this?

Also regarding fafsa, did anyone who was found as an independant, report their parents info anyway... does it matter?

You're the second person who has mentioned submitting something for a background check. Did they tell you about this at the interview, and where did you get the paperwork from? I don't remember hearing anything about submitting paperwork for the background check, and I haven't gotten any form... hmm.. Thanks...

Last edited:

I'm an independent in 4 ways, and I didn't report my parents info, I don't think anyone would need to.

And for the prior criminal history, I don't think most speeding tickets would be considered a criminal offense (unless it was reckless driving or something greater than a simple speeding ticket). My understanding is that a criminal offense is a misdemeanor or higher.

I'm an independent in 4 ways, and I didn't report my parents info, I don't think anyone would need to.

And for the prior criminal history, I don't think most speeding tickets would be considered a criminal offense (unless it was reckless driving or something greater than a simple speeding ticket). My understanding is that a criminal offense is a misdemeanor or higher.

are we supposed to follow up on this once we pay our fee and fill out all the paperwork?

Last year, I waited about a week or so after I received my waitlist letter before I called Lisa. She was able to let me know exactly where I was on the waitlist. So I think once you get your waitlist letter, you can call and nicely ask them where you stand. I hope this helped.
congrats ! Where u headed? abi or ama

congrats ! Where u headed? abi or ama
Thanks! I'm really happy and excited! I'm going to be in Amarillo all four years. It will be nice to have family nearby again. :)

Hi all,
I just had a quick question... how is everyone arranging their housing stuff.. like finding a roommate? I have someone in mind to room with... has anyone heard of Willow Glen apartments, is it good? What are people getting, 1 or 2 bedroom apts and where? I've never moved out before... let alone so far. :p

Also, is everyone getting the recommended laptops
through the school? Is anyone getting them from elsewhere or even going with another brand?

I would really appreciate it if someone could please let me know. Thanks. :)

Hi all,
I just had a quick question... how is everyone arranging their housing stuff.. like finding a roommate? I have someone in mind to room with... has anyone heard of Willow Glen apartments, is it good? What are people getting, 1 or 2 bedroom apts and where? I've never moved out before... let alone so far. :p

Also, is everyone getting the recommended laptops
through the school? Is anyone getting them from elsewhere or even going with another brand?

I would really appreciate it if someone could please let me know. Thanks. :)

Was planning on getting a 2 bedroom apartment for a spare room but decided against it to save some money.

I already purchased the Dell that Tech suggested just to eliminate the hassle of having to search for the best deal. I'm not a big fan of Dell but it is nice knowing that I can get it fixed at any point.

I'm getting a 2/2 at Winchester Apartment. I already have a Dell XPS that is not even a year old and the IT at Tech is going to downgrade my OS to Windows XP Pro. I would have to reimburse them, but it's better than buying a new laptop. :)

i got in today..... but still deciding.... most likely i am gonna turn it down.

i got in today..... but still deciding.... most likely i am gonna turn it down.

Binny,

You got in today (Saturday) - as in you just got a letter of acceptance Saturday???

Another question for you, are you from Oklahoma? I didn't think SWOSU accepted ANYBODY unless they were a current resident of OK.

I'm getting a 2/2 at Winchester Apartment. I already have a Dell XPS that is not even a year old and the IT at Tech is going to downgrade my OS to Windows XP Pro. I would have to reimburse them, but it's better than buying a new laptop. :)

I'm staying in the 2/2 right now and I really enjoy it here.

As far as Willow Glen goes, you may want to check it out in person before you make a decision. A lot of P2s just left to go to Dallas for rotations and none of them had anything good to say about it except it was cheaper than most. If you're looking for a decent 2 bedroom apt, give Dove Creek a call. They're a bit further away from school, but their complex is nicer IMO.

naaah... i am not from oklahoma... i am from Dallas, TX...

I'm doing the loan counseling thing and it's asking me how i will most likely receive my funds... I honestly don't know, is it all at once or multiple disbursements or what?

Also what do we need for grants? I was offered Un/Sub and PLUS loans but there was nothing for a grant. My EFC was $2850. Was this why? I've been trying to contact the fin aid dept, but no one picks up or even responds. ...Is there a deadline to accept the loans by?
Also what are the transportation fees they quote in the cost of attendance?

Can someone please let me know? I would really appreciate it. :)

I'm doing the loan counseling thing and it's asking me how i will most likely receive my funds... I honestly don't know, is it all at once or multiple disbursements or what?

Also what do we need for grants? I was offered Un/Sub and PLUS loans but there was nothing for a grant. My EFC was $2850. Was this why? I've been trying to contact the fin aid dept, but no one picks up or even responds. ...Is there a deadline to accept the loans by?
Also what are the transportation fees they quote in the cost of attendance?

Can someone please let me know? I would really appreciate it. :)

I have not completed the loan counseling but my guess is multiple disbursements since it will come to you in two parts.

Did you complete your loan application prior to April 15? I believe if you completed it before this time then you would have increased your chances of being awarded a grant which is often based on financial need. My EFC is considerably higher than yours and was still awarded a grant. I just assumed it was because I applied in March.

I think the transportation fee includes everything associated with getting to and from school. I figured if you take in consideration car payment ($200-$300) and gas it would be around $4200 a year. It might also include the transportation to and from Lubbock.

All this is mere speculation so I would contact Mia to be definite on a lot of your questions.

Hey STEV0, you mentioned that you live in Winchester. What internet service provider do you have? Are there other options besides suddenlink cable?

Hey guyz I have been searching the Texas Tech website for the link to the Lap top requirements, can anyonw who knows it please post it on here? Thanks in Advance

Hey STEV0, you mentioned that you live in Winchester. What internet service provider do you have? Are there other options besides suddenlink cable?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I've been living "off the grid" since the end of the semester. As far as I know, the only ISP available in that area is Suddenlink. It's been pretty reliable for us, and it's reasonably priced (I went with the upgraded download speed). You might ask the people in the office to see if someone new hasn't started offering service.

Has anyone registered for classes yet? I tried to register but it was blocked.

hey this question is for current students, what happens if you don't turn in your laptop by the deadline? Will it really not be ready by the time bootcamp starts? or is this something they tell you to keep you on your toes? I will really hate to not have a laptop for a month.

hey has anyone heard anything about the schorlarships?

i just gave up my spot for personal reasons, so someone should be getting a call very soon. good luck everyone!