Texas school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did a quick search and found this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=246931&highlight=houston

In 2005, someone got an email on Dec 16 for an interview the following month.

It must be nice to have LoR writers do things in a timely manner. I'd be lucky for everything to get to UH by Dec 16.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking sometime after the first of the year (mid Jan. or so). I think that is when they started interviewing last year (I recived my invitation about 2 weks prior to interview day). A search could probably indicate when they started last year, and I would expect the process to stary anew along the same time frame. UHParmacist was the first one that I remember posting an acceptance for my class (most acceptances are sent out ~ 2 weeks after interview). I would search his old posts first.
They are already planning interviews for orientation chairs for the incoming class. But they have not spoken to us about voluteering as school ambassadors for interview days yet. Good luck all.:luck:

Thank you. I'm getting nervous coz the year is drawing to a close.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall! Im new to sdn...I only have sent my UH and UT app in! Im also applying to tech and UIW, trying to finish them up before Dec...good luck to everyone!!

Hey yall! Im new to sdn...I only have sent my UH and UT app in! Im also applying to tech and UIW, trying to finish them up before Dec...good luck to everyone!!

:welcome:. I noticed you're from houston. Do you go to UH?

Hello~
I recently decided to apply to Texas schools.
Are they on a rolling base? Is it too late to apply now?
As an out-of-staters, is it hard to get in?
I'm considering the following schools.

University of the Incarnate Word School of Pharmacy(San Antonio)
University of North Texas School of Pharmacy(Dallas)
Texas Southern University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences(Houston)
University of Houston College of Pharmacy (Houston)
University of Texas College of Pharmacy (Austin)

I just started gathering information, but it's kinda a lot of work since there is no organized forms like the ones that PharmCAS provides.

Does anyone have any organized information comparing Texas schools?
That would be great. :p

Hello~

I just started gathering information, but it's kinda a lot of work since there is no organized forms like the ones that PharmCAS provides.

Texas schools are not on an official rolling basis, although getting everything in early is best. A&M Kingsville sends out all interview offers and acceptance letters on a specific day for everyone. Incarnate word also sends out all acceptance letters on a certain day.
UT & UH send them out as they make decisions, so they're more of a rolling basis schools than A&M or UIW. So it's not too late to apply now.
I don't know anything about Texas Tech or Texas Southern.
I don't think that UNT has a pharmacy school. It may be a new school opening that I'm not aware of, but their website doesn't mention anything about a pharmacy school.

As an out of state student, you will be very disadvantaged at the public schools, because the Texas Legislature mandates that at least 90% of accepted students must be Texas residents. UIW is a private school, so they can accept more out of state students.

Go to each school's website and you can find all the info you should need. If you have UT specific questions, I'll try to answer them, I'm a P1 there.

I don't think that UNT has a pharmacy school. It may be a new school opening that I'm not aware of, but their website doesn't mention anything about a pharmacy school.

UNT has been trying for a while to start the school, but they haven't been getting support from legislators.

Texas schools are not on an official rolling basis, although getting everything in early is best. A&M Kingsville sends out all interview offers and acceptance letters on a specific day for everyone. Incarnate word also sends out all acceptance letters on a certain day.
UT & UH send them out as they make decisions, so they're more of a rolling basis schools than A&M or UIW. So it's not too late to apply now.
I don't know anything about Texas Tech or Texas Southern.

As an out of state student, you will be very disadvantaged at the public schools, because the Texas Legislature mandates that at least 90% of accepted students must be Texas residents. UIW is a private school, so they can accept more out of state students.

Go to each school's website and you can find all the info you should need. If you have UT specific questions, I'll try to answer them, I'm a P1 there.

Thanks wbrown.. The only private pharmacy school in Texas is University of the Incarnate Word. Is it correct? Everything else is public which I wouldn't bother to try to get in. Anyone applying to UIW?
They have their own pre-pharmacy program. Do they have a preference on their own students?

Thanks wbrown.. The only private pharmacy school in Texas is University of the Incarnate Word. Is it correct? Everything else is public which I wouldn't bother to try to get in. Anyone applying to UIW?
They have their own pre-pharmacy program. Do they have a preference on their own students?

As far as I know, UIW is the only private school, they don't prefer their own students, or at least they don't advertise that they do.

Even though it's a public school, I'd encourage you to consider A&M Kingsville,especially if your stats are good, since it's a newer school they generally have less applicants so it's a tiny bit less competitive. That being said out of state students DO get in to the public schools, just not as many as instate students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't let them catch you calling it A&M Kingsville. Though on the TAMUK campus the Texas A&M HSC Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy is in no way a part of Texas A&M University - Kingsville and they make a point of emphasizing it . ;)

It is a great new school with lots of fresh technology and equipment and a faculty who really cares and works with its students.

I'll be there next Fall... I really hope.

Hey everyone! I sent my UH application in November. I applied last year so I think they should still have my old transcripts, but the website still says "Not Received". Will that change soon?

Also, does anyone know how old LORs can be before they stop letting you use it?

Hey everyone! I sent my UH application in November. I applied last year so I think they should still have my old transcripts, but the website still says "Not Received". Will that change soon?

When exactly did you send it? I'm thinking you might have to resend your transcripts and LORs to them. Because of the number of applicants they receive each year, I'm doubtful that they keep transcripts and LORs for unsuccessful applicants because they are hoping that those people will apply again the following cycle. Plus, they simply don't have the time to go digging through old files. Just my gut feeling...

I'm currently applying to UH pharmacy school. I was told that applicants are not able to use letters of recommendations they sent in with a previous completed application. Now the slight exception is if you sent in a recommendation early this year (before they opened applications in October) but you did not actually apply for the previous class. For example, I considered applying this past January for Fall 2007 class so one of my recommendations was sent in back in January. I was allowed to use it for my application this year because it was written in 2007 and I never did complete an application for Fall 2007. As for the transcripts - you should definitely resubmit all of that info because they create a new file for each new application cycle, hence the need to create a new online account id. Good Luck to you! UofH is my #1 choice!:)

UNT has been trying for a while to start the school, but they haven't been getting support from legislators.

I wish they had opened one last year... that way I would still be in Denton. I missed my undergrad days there so so so much--the good old golden days. Now it's just the heat of Houston :D

Im applying only to UT and UIW. I would be complete at UT except for my Fall '07 grades. As for UIW, im hand delivering my app today, but then I have to send them my fall transcript later. As far as I know, neither of these schools is rolling admissions, so no worries on time constraints.

As for the the 4 UT essays, I kinda reused the essay I wrote for 'why pharmacy' for the undergrad essay so we'll see how that'll pan out. I didn't apply anywhere else because wife doesn't really want to move.

My stats are: total cum. avg is 3.01 over 230 credit hours. BS in information systems. prereqs over the past two years 4.0 (44hrs).
For UIW my core GPA: 3.61 and my science is a 3.31.
For UT, they don't require a GPA calulation so can't say.
My PCAT from June was 88.

I have about 2 yrs of research experience (current job), 2 years of hospital volunteering and ~80 hrs of pharmacy 'exposure'.

After I turn in my UIW packet and resubmit transcripts after fall grades post it's going to be a waiting game. Anyone who got interviews from either UT or UIW last year, can you post when when they got them? thanks guys. good luck to everyone!:thumbup:

I finally got my recommendation writers to take care of my UT and UH letters.

After all that, I just got an email from Tech saying that everything had to be in by January 7th for early review.

It sucks that I just went through weeks of reminders to get them to do those first two. It's like pulling teeth. I really don't look forward to reminding them about the letter for Tech.

I missed a call from UHCOP today. I called Ms. Lewis back but she was away from her desk. I am wondering what is that phone call about? I completed my application back in Oct with no missing pre-requisite. I am bit nervous about what she is going to ask me.

Anyone had the same situation last year?:confused:

I missed a call from UHCOP today. I called Ms. Lewis back but she was away from her desk. I am wondering what is that phone call about? I completed my application back in Oct with no missing pre-requisite. I am bit nervous about what she is going to ask me.

Probably there is something she wants to know about your application or you. Call her back tomorrow morning EARLY in the morning (at around 8:15am or so). If noone picks up, keep on calling back. That's the only way to catch her. Finals are going on and I know there are people coming in and out of the office for help. Plus they are setting up for interviews c/o2012 right now so everyone there will be busy. I understand your anxiety. I was in your shoes last year but it happened to me 2 weeks after the interview; she called on Friday and I missed that; I had to wait until the next Monday to call her back (imagine the stress and anxiety!)

Don't sweat it. I'm sure lvp0021 is right. If anything take it as a good sign that they are interested in you.:luck:

Probably there is something she wants to know about your application or you. Call her back tomorrow morning EARLY in the morning (at around 8:15am or so). If noone picks up, keep on calling back. That's the only way to catch her. Finals are going on and I know there are people coming in and out of the office for help. Plus they are setting up for interviews c/o2012 right now so everyone there will be busy. I understand your anxiety. I was in your shoes last year but it happened to me 2 weeks after the interview; she called on Friday and I missed that; I had to wait until the next Monday to call her back (imagine the stress and anxiety!)

Don't you have a test that you should be studying for? lol

Hi guys!

How long were your personal statements for Tech? I'm in the process of revising my statement but it's quite long. do you know the max number of words or pages? I know the pharmacy experience essay is 2 pages max but I could not find out how long the statement should be.

Hi guys!

How long were your personal statements for Tech? I'm in the process of revising my statement but it's quite long. do you know the max number of words or pages? I know the pharmacy experience essay is 2 pages max but I could not find out how long the statement should be.

I have about 2 pages with double space. My pharmacist told me not to write too long because adcoms will not have time to read...try to make it short...;)

I'm currently applying to UH pharmacy school. I was told that applicants are not able to use letters of recommendations they sent in with a previous completed application. Now the slight exception is if you sent in a recommendation early this year (before they opened applications in October) but you did not actually apply for the previous class. For example, I considered applying this past January for Fall 2007 class so one of my recommendations was sent in back in January. I was allowed to use it for my application this year because it was written in 2007 and I never did complete an application for Fall 2007. As for the transcripts - you should definitely resubmit all of that info because they create a new file for each new application cycle, hence the need to create a new online account id. Good Luck to you! UofH is my #1 choice!:)

Thanks for the help. Also thanks to ethylmethyl. I sent an email to Nekesa Berkley, and she replied (rather quickly too) that I just had to send her an email stating that I want to use the transcripts/LORs already on file. I just hope everything's okay. I'm sure if they're missing something, they'll email. UH is also my #1 choice right now even though I go to UT. People at UH seem a lot friendlier and nicer. Good luck to you too, and keep me posted about your status!

Thanks for the help. Also thanks to ethylmethyl. I sent an email to Nekesa Berkley, and she replied (rather quickly too) that I just had to send her an email stating that I want to use the transcripts/LORs already on file. I just hope everything's okay. I'm sure if they're missing something, they'll email. UH is also my #1 choice right now even though I go to UT. People at UH seem a lot friendlier and nicer. Good luck to you too, and keep me posted about your status!

I've heard the same thing from one of my classmates. She got accepted to UT but chose to go to UH. She mentioned that people at UT didn't seem to care that much about students. I personally did not apply to UT as I thought it was too competitive (After all it's the 2nd best school in the nation). I'd advice you to come to UH for a tour and talk to people here. It'd be helpful!

This was in a confirmation email from UH:

Applicants invited for interviews will receive additional email correspondence beginning January.

So if we don't hear from them in December (like previous years), we shouldn't panic.

So I came to UH on MOnday of this week for step 1 advising and got the opportunity to speak to Ms. Nekesa. She said that they have already chosen the applicants for the first round of interviews. However, they haven't started to contact anyone just yet. It would be more likely to start in the second week of January. I just thought this bit of info would be useful.

So I came to UH on MOnday of this week for step 1 advising and got the opportunity to speak to Ms. Nekesa. She said that they have already chosen the applicants for the first round of interviews. However, they haven't started to contact anyone just yet. It would be more likely to start in the second week of January. I just thought this bit of info would be useful.

That's kind of early. I didn't get everything in to UH until last Friday. It took months to get my letters of recommendation, with lots of nagging in the end so that I would have a chance to be a part of the first group. Oh well.

I am crossing my fingers....amen..:oops:

Don't be too worried. She said the second round or even the third is still very good. I'm sorry about your LORs situation. Maybe you can still make it to the second round. I believe they are expecting a large amount of applications in the upcoming week since the break is starting. Therefore, to all those who completed before this week, good luck and perhaps we'll see each other. If anyone does get a call or email for interview, please let us know!

Guys, I didn't have my UH application in until late January. I got an interview in March and got my acceptance letter two weeks later. Don't stress if you aren't in the first couple of groups, they do a lot of interviews.

That reminds me...

What is a rejection notice from TT/UH/UT/A&M like? Do you get one at all, or do you just not an interview?

Guys, I didn't have my UH application in until late January. I got an interview in March and got my acceptance letter two weeks later.

Ditto.

Those aggies are correct on occasion.

That reminds me...

What is a rejection notice from TT/UH/UT/A&M like? Do you get one at all, or do you just not an interview?

A&M, you just don't get an interview. During the interview last year, their dean told us they don't send rejection letters out. I believe everywhere else sends out letters.

Hello~

Don't think there's a north texas school of pharmacy in dallas.

Guys, I didn't have my UH application in until late January. I got an interview in March and got my acceptance letter two weeks later. Don't stress if you aren't in the first couple of groups, they do a lot of interviews.

Thank you so much for saying that! I am so excited about U of H :) I immediately started freaking out when I read that they have already made the decisions for first round interviews! I really, really want to be in that group, but at least I know that all is not lost if I end up in a later group.

Be blessed

yeah!!!

I got an UHCOP interview at Jan 25!!! So excited!!:D

yeah!!!

I got an UHCOP interview at Jan 25!!! So excited!!:D

Hey KiKi, Congrats!! As I know thats what youve been waiting for for months now... howd they contact you? Email or phone or snail mail

Knickerbocker,
Like I mentioned above, there are a lot of interview dates. Also, interviewing early doesn't mean you're in for sure. I interviewed in March and found out two weeks later that I was accepted. Some people interviewed in January and didn't find out until late July/early August they were in. Take a chill pill. :cool:

I got an interview, too! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. :)

Dienophile and Aggie07, how did you guys prepare for the interview?

Knickerbocker, don't worry. I'm sure you'll get one too.

James, they informed us via email.

Knickerbocker,
Like I mentioned above, there are a lot of interview dates. Also, interviewing early doesn't mean you're in for sure. I interviewed in March and found out two weeks later that I was accepted. Some people interviewed in January and didn't find out until late July/early August they were in. Take a chill pill. :cool:

It was supposed to be a joke - I saw your earlier post.

But I am disappointed that I didn't have a shot at early interviews because my letter writers took months. Then again, I still might not have been selected early anyway. It would be nice to have this whole thing decided sooner rather than later. If I don't make it into pharmacy school, I need to figure out what I am going to do for the next year.

The lack of some certainty for the future bothers me.

I got an interview too!!! I can't believe it....Jan 25th here I come!

This may sound really stupid but does anyone know if they send out mass email or just individually? I want an interview invite too!

I am a total newb to the UH app, but how much is the application fee? I can't find it anywhere on their website! I vaguely remember the rep saying it was 100, but I want to be sure since you have to mail them the check. And did you guys send it along with all of the required stuff to be mailed in? Congrats to everyone who already got interviews!