General Admissions & OTCAS Texas MOT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi!
So I am applying next year (2018) for Fall 2019 entry. I plan on applying to TWU Dallas/Denton. I am currently enrolled in a grad program, but will be switching to OT. I'm just wondering how competitive I am. I emailed TWU and they told me they will look at my grad GPA instead of my last 60. I'm not sure if I should retake abnormal since that is the only class I have a B in.

Major: Psychology
Grad school Major: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Grad GPA: 3.8
Pre-req: 3.82

That is great you have a jump start on the whole application process. I think your GPA is fantastic, I am not sure how much retaking Abnormal and receiving another "A" would change much. Since you have such a high GPA, I would recommend shadowing and building close relationships with other occupational therapists. Maybe even get a job in the field. This will help you get strong letters of recommendation down the road. Best of luck to you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also took an online course through Austin Community College and I am currently enrolled in the program at TWU Dallas :)

Hey, for the TWU application in OTCAS, on the documents page it says "upload an official copy of your GRE scores". What exactly do they want us to submit? My scores were sent directly to TWU and when I log into my GRE account it only shows the unofficial report? Could someone please help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, for the TWU application in OTCAS, on the documents page it says "upload an official copy of your GRE scores". What exactly do they want us to submit? My scores were sent directly to TWU and when I log into my GRE account it only shows the unofficial report? Could someone please help!

Hey! So, I downloaded my unofficial GRE report from the ETS website, then cropped it to where it was just a page with my scores. Finally, I uploaded it under the "official GRE copy" section. I hope this helps! Good luck!!

Hey! So, I downloaded my unofficial GRE report from the ETS website, then cropped it to where it was just a page with my scores. Finally, I uploaded it under the "official GRE copy" section. I hope this helps! Good luck!!

That's what I thought about doing but wasn't sure! Thanks so much!!

Does anyone know how much TWU takes into consideration the GRE scores when looking at applicants? I didn't do too well on the quantitative section... I plan I retaking it if I don't get in this time around. Thank you!

Does anyone know how much TWU takes into consideration the GRE scores when looking at applicants? I didn't do too well on the quantitative section... I plan I retaking it if I don't get in this time around. Thank you!

I feel the same way. although others say dont worry about the GRE part because the school will evaluate EVERYTHING we send to them. Good luck to us ☺

I interviewed with UTHSCSA on Dec 12 so I can tell you a little of what to expect! It was a group interview. I suggest practicing your answers to the following questions: Why do you want to be an OT, what qualities do you have that will make you a good OT, which settings did you observe, and talk about a patient that stood out to you. Those were the ones I remembered. It's pretty laid back, you'll meet with two of the OT professors during one part of the interview, and also meet with current students during another part in which you'll get to ask them your questions. There was a writing portion, but it was pretty straightforward. I don't do well with timed writing (we had 10 mins to write), but I think I did fine with it. All the best!!
Do you mind sharing your stats on what you applied with? Id like to know if my resume is somewhat competitive!

Does anyone in the McKinney area know a good place to get observation hours?

Does anyone in the McKinney area know a good place to get observation hours?
Depends what kind of observation you need! Belterra SNF off of 380 and lake forest or Med City Mckinney (outpatient, rehab and inpatient just have to apply to be a volunteer for the hospital and let them know you want to observe OT). That’s what I did!

Depends what kind of observation you need! Belterra SNF off of 380 and lake forest or Med City Mckinney (outpatient, rehab and inpatient just have to apply to be a volunteer for the hospital and let them know you want to observe OT). That’s what I did!
That’s amazing! Thank you for your help. I live about 30 minutes north of McKinney so I am trying to branch out and find other places to observe especially in a bigger city!