General Admissions & OTCAS Texas MOT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any insight on what the typical schedule looks like for Tech's OT students such as how many days a week they've had classes in past semesters? Also, I'm curious if anyone knows which courses were known to be really tough or any related info.
During my tour and interview, I was told they usually had Fridays off unless they had exams. And I believe they were out of class by 3pm. I asked during my interview. I don't remember specifics. I ended up withdrawing my acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that's what I think, they also mentioned they take a shuttle to the main campus (UTSA) for one class...I think it was pathology.
If you Facebook search UTHSCSA MOT their Facebook page has a lot of posts about what the students do and the activities they're involved in.. just a helpful tool to give you more of a visual insight

Does anyone have any insight on what the typical schedule looks like for Tech's OT students such as how many days a week they've had classes in past semesters? Also, I'm curious if anyone knows which courses were known to be really tough or any related info.
I remember them saying Anatomy was their hardest class and there was a quiz every class lecture they had, so if you stay on top of the readings and material you should be good. It's just challenging because it's a lot of material crammed into a summer course

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from UTEP??

I just got a call from Dr. Grice & I got off the waitlist/accepted to UTHSCSA!! So don't lose hope waitlisters!!! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know what the typical schedule is like at the UTHSCSA program?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone Know of an official UTHSCSA class page for the incoming class ?

Anyone Know of an official UTHSCSA class page for the incoming class ?
I'm thinking one of us needs to start one... although I'm not sure if current students will create one for us.

No, we do not take gross anatomy. However, there is an elective cadaver lab you can take. It would be taken sometime after your first year. I think it's a little hard to get into because everyone wants to take it. But there are only so many of us so some people have to get in! :) I plan to try.

I had about a 3.5-3.6 GPA when I applied. I was waitlisted, but I think this was also due in part to my low amount of observation hours. I only had 42 hours. I know they only require 20 but I think it helps your application if you have a lot of observation hours. If you plan on applying for the next cycle, you still have time to get a good chunk of observation hours in. I've heard stories of people with lower GPAs getting in, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I also know people who retook some classes through a community college to bring their GPA up and were accepted after that. For now, do what you can. If you could retake a couple classes through a community college, that would certainly help. If not, I would try to rack up those observation hours. And if you are waitlisted in the end, do not give up hope! It worked out for me :)

If you don't mind me asking, about when did you find out that you had been accepted off of the waitlist?

If you don't mind me asking, about when did you find out that you had been accepted off of the waitlist?
I was notified in early June. I think it was like June 9th. So a whole 6 months after being put on the waitlist. It was a long wait but it paid off in the end!

Aaaaand I've withdrawn my seat to Texas Tech. I'm 100% committed to TWU Houston.
Yayyy! I'm excited to meet you and the new class. If you have any questions ask away. I'm only in my second semester so I can only be so much help. But if you have any questions about campus or curriculum i'm here! It's a great program and you will love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
So anyone for UTHSCSA willing to make the class page if not I will make it. Because we start school in May (not too far away) I would like to start looking into possible places for housing. would be nice to have someone from the cohort as my roommate.

So anyone for UTHSCSA willing to make the class page if not I will make it. Because we start school in May (not too far away) I would like to start looking into possible places for housing. would be nice to have someone from the cohort as my roommate.
You can make one and let us know! :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know when orientation is for uthscsa??

Does anyone know when orientation is for uthscsa??
May 30 at 8 am I think and then we have class in the afternoon.. at least that's what I saw on the schedule for last year (they started June 1 I believe.) They haven't posted the summer 2017 schedule yet, but I'll keep my eye on it so we know exactly

May 30 at 8 am I think and then we have class in the afternoon.. at least that's what I saw on the schedule for last year (they started June 1 I believe.) They haven't posted the summer 2017 schedule yet, but I'll keep my eye on it so we know exactly
Dang that's weird. I would have figured that orientation would have been like a week before to help us get settled.

Dang that's weird. I would have figured that orientation would have been like a week before to help us get settled.
Yeah or at least a whole day even! But I guess they'll be telling us to do the busy work via email and cover the main stuff that morning cause we have 3 classes to finish in 2 1/2 months, so they really have no time to waste.

Received a decision from UTEP today! Accepted but will be declining.

Just got accepted off the waitlist for UTEP!! I'm so excited... Unless I hear from anywhere else, I will be attending.
Will I see anyone else from here at UTEP in May?

Has anyone else applied to UTRGV? So far I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it. Hopefully it helps my chances if the application pool is smaller than the other Texas OT schools.

Hey guys I just got my acceptance email for TWU! Who else is planning on attending TWU Houston?
I am planning on living around Med Center. I dont know how to loan out money for housing!

Hey guys I just got my acceptance email for TWU! Who else is planning on attending TWU Houston?
I am planning on living around Med Center. I dont know how to loan out money for housing!

Look for our Facebook group. We're "TWU MOT class of 2019".

Hi everyone! I was waitlisted at twu and was wondering if anyone has been notified from the waitlist?

Hi everyone! I was waitlisted at twu and was wondering if anyone has been notified from the waitlist?
I'm still on the TWU waitlist as well. I haven't heard anything yet.

I was just accepted off the waitlist to TWU Houston for fall 2017!

I was just accepted off the wait list too!!!!!!! I had just about given up, this was such a sweet surprise.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted off of the waitlist for twu Denton! There's still hope :)

Hey everyone! Who is all applying to TWU, UTHSCSA, TECH, AND UTMB for the class of 2020?

I just sent in my application to all of those schools except for tech (still working on the personalized essay). Who's excited??!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hey everyone! Who is all applying to TWU, UTHSCSA, TECH, AND UTMB for the class of 2020?

I just sent in my application to all of those schools except for tech (still working on the personalized essay). Who's excited??!

Good luck to everyone!!!

The only one on your list the I'm applying to is Tech (working on the essay as well). The other Texas school I'm applying to is ACU.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good luck to everyone!!!
I've applied to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, ACU, and St. Augustine in Austin! Super nervous and excited. Good luck to you!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hey y'all! I'm applying to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, Tech, UTEP and St Augustine Austin. Good luck to everyone applying!!!

I've applied to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, ACU, and St. Augustine in Austin! Super nervous and excited. Good luck to you!
Wow, that's awesome! I have a friend in the OT program at St. Augustine, she is really enjoying it there. Best of luck to you as well!! :)

The only one on your list the I'm applying to is Tech (working on the essay as well). The other Texas school I'm applying to is ACU.

The essay is a long one! lol. Good luck to you throughout this whole process!!!

Hi everyone! I've applied to UTHSCSA, TWU, and Tech. Good luck to everyone!

My OTCAS was just verified! I'm applying to TWU (any location), UTMB, Abilene, Tech, UTEP and St Augustine Austin for Texas schools (also OU and Tenn State).
GPA 3.67
Low GREs (not the best standardized test taker)
160 OT shadow hours at varied sites (VA hospital-40, Vanderbilt Hospital- 40, and 80 in outpatient pediatrics)
Tons of volunteering with and for orphans-- travel to Guatemala for a week ever summer (since I was 10) serving orphans and special needs children
Nanny while going to school full time
Girl Scout Gold Award

Nervous and excited!

Does anyone know how we keep track of responses from the schools? Will they all email us updates or do we have to keep logging on to the different portals?

Does anyone know how we keep track of responses from the schools? Will they all email us updates or do we have to keep logging on to the different portals?
You likely won't receive much response from schools. They'll email you if you have an interview and email you if you're accepted/waitlisted/rejected. There's not much to update beyond that til you're accepted. They never contacted me otherwise.

Hi i applied at TWU houston weeks ago. Still waiting for update from them! Hope we all get in
Any suggestion where to get a legit med terminology course? Im waiting for an update from TWU before enrolling myself in the course. Ive been searching online and dont know if theyre legit or acceptable from TWU. Any suggestion? Thank you!!!

Hi i applied at TWU houston weeks ago. Still waiting for update from them! Hope we all get in
Any suggestion where to get a legit med terminology course? Im waiting for an update from TWU before enrolling myself in the course. Ive been searching online and dont know if theyre legit or acceptable from TWU. Any suggestion? Thank you!!!
I took a 100% online course at Austin Community College.

Really? Did TWU accepted it? Thank you! I'll look at it on the internet.
I applied in August, but they haven’t said anything about the credit not working for them so far! It came from an accredited college so it should be fine. Other programs have definitely accepted it.

I applied in August, but they haven’t said anything about the credit not working for them so far! It came from an accredited college so it should be fine. Other programs have definitely accepted it.

Okay i think ill try to enroll in that online course. Thanks! Hope we get in

Hi!
So I am applying next year (2018) for Fall 2019 entry. I plan on applying to TWU Dallas/Denton. I am currently enrolled in a grad program, but will be switching to OT. I'm just wondering how competitive I am. I emailed TWU and they told me they will look at my grad GPA instead of my last 60. I'm not sure if I should retake abnormal since that is the only class I have a B in.

Major: Psychology
Grad school Major: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Grad GPA: 3.8
Pre-req: 3.82