General Admissions & OTCAS Texas MOT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody accepted into TWU Dallas know if there is a Facebook page?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a pretty active thread, so I'll try here as well. I'm in Texas myself and I'm hoping to apply next year. Does anyone know the difference between research based vs clinical based programs? What is actually to be expected between the two? Is it writing papers vs being hands on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent a letter of continued interest! I know I'm probably jumping the gun... waiting is so hard!

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for TWU Denton? :)

Reactions: 1 user
So has UTHSCSA sent out any rejection letters???

So has UTHSCSA sent out any rejection letters???

They told us during the interview that they would have their decision mid January I think. They still have to go through one more interview pool and I wanna say it's first week of January. Also if got an interview, you are automatically waitlisted if your not accepted, at least that's what they told us.
Hope that helps!

They told us during the interview that they would have their decision mid January I think. They still have to go through one more interview pool and I wanna say it's first week of January. Also if got an interview, you are automatically waitlisted if your not accepted, at least that's what they told us.
Hope that helps!

Oh yes it does! I didn't get an interview so I have been waiting for the rejection letter.

I'm in the Same situation as you. University of phonies told me it was going to be 2000 bucks for one class... so I'm waiting till after I interview and get in to sign up for that. The class I'm looking at says isn't only takes 5 weeks to complete and I know there's a class starting in February... hopefully they let us know by then.

Are you going to take the "Biological foundations of psychology" class for the UTMB requirement? I'm in the same dilemma as you! I need to take it too

UT health SA aka... UTHSCSA January 6th interviewees, did they mention when they would make their decisions? I was in the first interview group and I think they told us middle of January. But things may have changed since they was over a month ago...

UT health SA aka... UTHSCSA January 6th interviewees, did they mention when they would make their decisions? I was in the first interview group and I think they told us middle of January. But things may have changed since they was over a month ago...
They said about two weeks. The last week of Jan we should know!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm bummed :( I guess I should go ahead and try st Augustine... it's close to SA which I like. but the tuition is just crazy!
We are seriously in the same boat, I was accepted there so I'm sending in my paperwork while hoping to get a call from UTHSCSA....either way we will be OTs and can pay off the debt with the salary.....best of luck! We may be classmates somewhere!!!

I got in to UT SA! Anybody else?

And I've heard good things about St Augustine. I know it's super expensive but it's still a good as school as any!

I got in to UT SA! Anybody else?

And I've heard good things about St Augustine. I know it's super expensive but it's still a good as school as any!
I got accepted to UT health!

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted to UT health!

SAME!! I have accepted my offer already for TTUHSC, but UTHSCSA was my first choice, so SA it is! So anyone who wanted to go to TTUHSC and was chosen as an alternate, don't lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
SAME!! I have accepted my offer already for TTUHSC, but UTHSCSA was my first choice, so SA it is! So anyone who wanted to go to TTUHSC and was chosen as an alternate, don't lose hope!
I got accepted to both too. I just feel I don't know much about UT health since we didn't get a tour and the next one isn't until the summer

I got accepted to both too. I just feel I don't know much about UT health since we didn't get a tour and the next one isn't until the summer

I've received my bachelors degree from there so I'm familiar, but even during the interview I had to do then, they gave a tour, so that was weird that they didn't give one now. Guess it depends on the program? They'll probably give one during orientation though!

Also, I was comparing both curriculums and TTUHSC's looks a lot easier in terms of the course contents? Idk though..

I got accepted to UTHSCSA as well! So stoked! :D Congrats to all of you!

Also, I was comparing both curriculums and TTUHSC's looks a lot easier in terms of the course contents? Idk though..
I'm torn on what to do. I really liked TECH but UTHSCSA location is ideal. What makes you think tech is easier?

One of the current students at UTHSCSA told me during my interview day that their neuro final was a group test. Uthscsa can't be that difficult then haha.

I'm torn on what to do. I really liked TECH but UTHSCSA location is ideal. What makes you think tech is easier?
Just taking a look at the curriculum. One of the tech students told me that their hardest class was anatomy, which they take in their summer semester and get it over with. UTHSCSA has anatomy and neuro and a bunch of other sciences. Now idk if it's harder than techs, I'm just saying UTHSCSA looks like more of a work load, but that's the nature of any graduate science program haha. I'm selecting UTHSCSA cause of location and just the atmosphere of the school, but again I'm biased.

Just taking a look at the curriculum. One of the tech students told me that their hardest class was anatomy, which they take in their summer semester and get it over with. UTHSCSA has anatomy and neuro and a bunch of other sciences. Now idk if it's harder than techs, I'm just saying UTHSCSA looks like more of a work load, but that's the nature of any graduate science program haha. I'm selecting UTHSCSA cause of location and just the atmosphere of the school, but again I'm biased.
Yeah I'm leaning to UTHSCSA too. No idea how to figure out living or if we have a page

Accepted to UTHSCSA as well it was my first choice! I hope they tell us more info Tomorrow when they send the next email

I'm accepted to Tech and TWU. I'm more drawn to Tech since it provided a tour, and I really like their program and campus. I was SUPER torn which way to go, but TWU is near home. Although I believe the program might be more challenging, I just like the convenience of avoiding housing and I'm familiar with the city already. Plus, I can stay near my family and friends. So with a HEAVY heart, I'm working on withdrawing my acceptance to Tech this morning. So if anyone is on the waitlist, there's a spot opening once I figure out how to withdraw. I sooooo wish Tech was closer. :arghh: TWU is just more convenient and cheaper to attend. Has anyone withdrawn yet?

Aaaaand I've withdrawn my seat to Texas Tech. I'm 100% committed to TWU Houston.

Yeah I'm leaning to UTHSCSA too. No idea how to figure out living or if we have a page
I haven't seen a page yet! Maybe we can start one? Idk
Aaaaand I've withdrawn my seat to Texas Tech. I'm 100% committed to TWU Houston.

How'd you end up withdrawing? Did you just send an email to the person you confirmed admission with or...?

How'd you end up withdrawing? Did you just send an email to the person you confirmed admission with or...?
I replied to my acceptance letter via email and tagged in Cindy since she was the person who notified me of my interview with Tech. Cindy and Marcia responded to me and said they'd pass the info to admissions, and that nothing more was required of me.

I replied to my acceptance letter via email and tagged in Cindy since she was the person who notified me of my interview with Tech. Cindy and Marcia responded to me and said they'd pass the info to admissions, and that nothing more was required of me.
Awesome thank you so much!! Good luck at TWU!

I'm accepted to Tech and TWU. I'm more drawn to Tech since it provided a tour, and I really like their program and campus. I was SUPER torn which way to go, but TWU is near home. Although I believe the program might be more challenging, I just like the convenience of avoiding housing and I'm familiar with the city already. Plus, I can stay near my family and friends. So with a HEAVY heart, I'm working on withdrawing my acceptance to Tech this morning. So if anyone is on the waitlist, there's a spot opening once I figure out how to withdraw. I sooooo wish Tech was closer. :arghh: TWU is just more convenient and cheaper to attend. Has anyone withdrawn yet?
No worries, you'll love TWU! The faculty is great and our class is like a big family.

No worries, you'll love TWU! The faculty is great and our class is like a big family.
That's definitely reassuring. Thank you! Also, a few in my class group are curious about why TWU is considered research based. Do you know why that is? Are we writing papers? We don't know what to make of it.

That's definitely reassuring. Thank you! Also, a few in my class group are curious about why TWU is considered research based. Do you know why that is? Are we writing papers? We don't know what to make of it.
It's hard to say what it is like in comparison to other programs. And I'm not sure how other people could say that either if they've only been enrolled in one program. But I've heard that on this message board too. Of course there are research classes, but that will be in any program. We wrote one research paper our first semester (not bad) and we will probably do something similar in our research class this semester. We get plenty of hands on experience and I can't imagine that it would be less than any other program. There are no more research classes after the second semester. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

It's hard to say what it is like in comparison to other programs. And I'm not sure how other people could say that either if they've only been enrolled in one program. But I've heard that on this message board too. Of course there are research classes, but that will be in any program. We wrote one research paper our first semester (not bad) and we will probably do something similar in our research class this semester. We get plenty of hands on experience and I can't imagine that it would be less than any other program. There are no more research classes after the second semester. Let me know if you have any other questions :)
Great! People made so many blanket statements without explanation, they made it seem like a bad thing. Your explanation I can totally handle. I'm looking forward to this! :happy: Also, I believe it's still a "no", but there still isn't gross anatomy, is there? Likely wishful thinking on my part. Can't have it all. Lol

What were your stats for TWU as far as prerequistes? My prerequisite gpa is only a 3.2 for TWU so im afraid i wont get in...

Great! People made so many blanket statements without explanation, they made it seem like a bad thing. Your explanation I can totally handle. I'm looking forward to this! :happy: Also, I believe it's still a "no", but there still isn't gross anatomy, is there? Likely wishful thinking on my part. Can't have it all. Lol
No, we do not take gross anatomy. However, there is an elective cadaver lab you can take. It would be taken sometime after your first year. I think it's a little hard to get into because everyone wants to take it. But there are only so many of us so some people have to get in! :) I plan to try.

What were your stats for TWU as far as prerequistes? My prerequisite gpa is only a 3.2 for TWU so im afraid i wont get in...
I had about a 3.5-3.6 GPA when I applied. I was waitlisted, but I think this was also due in part to my low amount of observation hours. I only had 42 hours. I know they only require 20 but I think it helps your application if you have a lot of observation hours. If you plan on applying for the next cycle, you still have time to get a good chunk of observation hours in. I've heard stories of people with lower GPAs getting in, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I also know people who retook some classes through a community college to bring their GPA up and were accepted after that. For now, do what you can. If you could retake a couple classes through a community college, that would certainly help. If not, I would try to rack up those observation hours. And if you are waitlisted in the end, do not give up hope! It worked out for me :)

My stats weren't spectacular by any means, honestly. And my work history is in administration (oil), retail/hostess, and IT. If I can get in, I'm sure you can as well.

Major: Psychology & Criminal Justice
Prerequisite: 3.48
Overall: 3.38
GRE: 145Q 152V 5.0AW
Observation hours: 65
Extracurriculars: none
Volunteer: local animal shelter
LORs from: a coworker, director of a behavioral facility, A&P professor, and a pediatric OT.

Have you applied this round? Or were you planning on applying this year?

Last edited:
No, we do not take gross anatomy. However, there is an elective cadaver lab you can take. It would be taken sometime after your first year. I think it's a little hard to get into because everyone wants to take it. But there are only so many of us so some people have to get in! :) I plan to try.

Awesome!! That is good enough for me! I will take those odds. LoL :claps:

My stats weren't spectacular by any means, honestly. And my work history is in administration (oil), retail/hostess, and IT. If I can get in, I'm sure you can as well.

LORs from: a coworker, director of a behavioral facility, A&P professor, and a pediatric OT.

Well that sounds pretty great

That all looks pretty great!!
Well my prerequisite gpa is a: 3.2
Overall is a: 3.51

I am not enthusiastic about my prerequisite gpa being lower and i already retook some classes! Lol but i am praying that i will have some sort of a chance! I havent taken the GRE yet. Neither have i done my observation but im starting a internship at a local OT clinic and will earn at least 200 hrs.

I am applying for the fall 2018 cycle, so no i havent yet! :)

UTMB is my top choice because my prerequisite gpa is a 3.38 which i think looks alot better than my 3.2 for TWU.. but im praying for anything! :)

Oh and my major is in Public Health!

I've received my bachelors degree from there so I'm familiar, but even during the interview I had to do then, they gave a tour, so that was weird that they didn't give one now. Guess it depends on the program? They'll probably give one during orientation though!
Yeah, I didn't get a tour during my interview either and I really wish that I had! I got into Tech and UTHSCSA and am deciding between the two, but I cant really compare the facilities to one another because I don't know what the UTHSCSA facilities were like! Would you mind elaborating on them a bit so I can get an idea?

Yeah, I didn't get a tour during my interview either and I really wish that I had! I got into Tech and UTHSCSA and am deciding between the two, but I cant really compare the facilities to one another because I don't know what the UTHSCSA facilities were like! Would you mind elaborating on them a bit so I can get an idea?
Omg I am in the same boat and they don't have an open house until summer, which is too late.

Omg I am in the same boat and they don't have an open house until summer, which is too late.
I took a tour last year, it was super brief but I remember them saying there were two classrooms (one of which we interviewed in) for pediatrics and adult classes. There also was a room downstairs for their recreation where they kept lunches that they shared with the pts and emts. There is one floor of that building for each discipline. Hope that helps-we really didn't see too much on the tours either since students were in classes....

I took a tour last year, it was super brief but I remember them saying there were two classrooms (one of which we interviewed in) for pediatrics and adult classes. There also was a room downstairs for their recreation where they kept lunches that they shared with the pts and emts. There is one floor of that building for each discipline. Hope that helps-we really didn't see too much on the tours either since students were in classes....
Yeah that sounds about right haha! They share the building with all sorts of other programs and it's pretty small compared to my other program and so I'm thinking it's just a couple of rooms and like one lab area I think partially because there's only 40 students. And we share the cadaver lab with PA students, which is what they said in the interview.
I think it's less of an area compared to tech.

Yeah that sounds about right haha! They share the building with all sorts of other programs and it's pretty small compared to my other program and so I'm thinking it's just a couple of rooms and like one lab area I think partially because there's only 40 students. And we share the cadaver lab with PA students, which is what they said in the interview.
I think it's less of an area compared to tech.
Yeah that's what I think, they also mentioned they take a shuttle to the main campus (UTSA) for one class...I think it was pathology.

Does anyone have any insight on what the typical schedule looks like for Tech's OT students such as how many days a week they've had classes in past semesters? Also, I'm curious if anyone knows which courses were known to be really tough or any related info.