Texas Interviews 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mine did too. but it may somehow be related to my recent RCW update (4.0 baby). i hope the result of all of this is good. :luck:

Mine changed to 1/05 as well. I didn't send them anything though...

Members don't see this ad.

I know most of you guys are worried about the match at this point but if anyone would be so kind as to answer this question:

What is the character/word limit on the TMDSAS aplication for the personal statement? I am applying for 2008 entry and I'm working on my PS right now. I know AMCAS has a 5300 limit, is it the same or different for the texas application?

:luck: to all!

Here's what the tmdsas website says....
" Your personal essay should explain your motivation for seeking a career in medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine. If you are applying to both medical and dental school you will need to prepare two different essays (one for each discipline). Essays should be no more than 62 lines of text and 80 characters per line. Spaces and symbols count as characters.

DO NOT cut and paste your essay into the text box. You should type the essay directly into the text box to avoid any problems. Cutting and pasting your essay may cause one of the following to happen when you click on the 'SAVE' button. The answer will be saved, but any data exceeding the limit will be automatically deleted. Data on the right hand margin or end of your essay will be cut off once the work is saved. It is important that you carefully review all text answers AFTER the section is saved to ensure that you did not lose data by exceeding the limit. "

If you do copy paste, letters will be cut off. They really will. Its the strangest thing. If you want to use the same essay I'd probably write it in the tmdsas box, then copy paste wherever you want. Or something like that. Just be sure to proofread. :) :luck:

Here's what the tmdsas website says....
" Your personal essay should explain your motivation for seeking a career in medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine. If you are applying to both medical and dental school you will need to prepare two different essays (one for each discipline). Essays should be no more than 62 lines of text and 80 characters per line. Spaces and symbols count as characters.

To theunremarkable:

DO NOT cut and paste your essay into the text box. You should type the essay directly into the text box to avoid any problems. Cutting and pasting your essay may cause one of the following to happen when you click on the 'SAVE' button. The answer will be saved, but any data exceeding the limit will be automatically deleted. Data on the right hand margin or end of your essay will be cut off once the work is saved. It is important that you carefully review all text answers AFTER the section is saved to ensure that you did not lose data by exceeding the limit. "

To theunremarkable:

If you do copy paste, letters will be cut off. They really will. Its the strangest thing. If you want to use the same essay I'd probably write it in the tmdsas box, then copy paste wherever you want. Or something like that. Just be sure to proofread. :) :luck:

to satisfy the 62 lines x 80 characters rule and not have to guess so much you can change word settings to mimic the tmdsas website. i found that 10 pt Courier New font with left margin at 1" and right margin at .88" mirror almost exactly the number of characters per line in the tmdsas site.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok my Texas folk, looks like I'm in it for the match!

Sooo, can you still be waitlisted after the match? How does that work?? Are you matched to a school that is "full" after the match is said and done, then offered spots if enough ppl go to non TMDSAS schools..??

Thanks AggieSarah and Dr_House!! Really appreciate the help.

Ok my Texas folk, looks like I'm in it for the match!

Sooo, can you still be waitlisted after the match? How does that work?? Are you matched to a school that is "full" after the match is said and done, then offered spots if enough ppl go to non TMDSAS schools..??

Yes you can be waitlisted at higher schools above the one you match into, or if you don't match at all, your file is still active at all schools on your list. If seats free up, they will go through their waitlists, like any other school.

What are you guys doing about updating the "planned activities" question in our applications? If we are already in, it doesn't matter to the admissions committee, right? We just should update them anyway?

Also, how do we go about updating courses? I didn't think I was going to take a class, so I'm not sure how to do it, but don't we just type it into the application status page and then send a transcript when the class is over? And I guess also email the school?

LMFU 1/8/07.

Also does anyone know how to change the password on TMDSAS?

What are you guys doing about updating the "planned activities" question in our applications? If we are already in, it doesn't matter to the admissions committee, right? We just should update them anyway?

Also, how do we go about updating courses? I didn't think I was going to take a class, so I'm not sure how to do it, but don't we just type it into the application status page and then send a transcript when the class is over? And I guess also email the school?

To update coursework, e-mail TMDSAS the exact changes; you know, hours, course number, semester, and all that.

My LMFU changed on 12/28 and 01/05. I've seen postings on SDN, which could lead you to believe that LMFU changes correlate to rejections/acceptances/matching. I did a quick search and what I found should give us all hope. Check the 2005 Class Thread on SDN. Tons of people had changes and some didn't, but both matched, to first choices even.(insert your best Snaglepuss impersonation) Many of the final postings warn future classes to avoid buying into the myth. Unless the system has changed, we should just enjoy the new year and only speculate about the "positive". GOOD LUCK to everyone in the match. :cool:

Ellieamee was quoting a 7/7 posting by beadle. :confused:

Yeah, sorry, ya'll. I got the misdirected private messages and responded. I was just saying congratulations. Sorry about the confusion. :confused:

E.A.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is it really necessary to update this "planned activities"? I haven't even thought about that.

Is it really necessary to update this "planned activities"? I haven't even thought about that.

I don't think it's necessary....just like "future coursework" is not binding, I don't see why future activities would be. If I'm wrong, correct me so I can update mine (does one even need to after one is accepted??).

I don't think it's necessary....just like "future coursework" is not binding, I don't see why future activities would be. If I'm wrong, correct me so I can update mine (does one even need to after one is accepted??).

So this is what I read on the application, section 13 the certificate we signed:

"I further certify that I will report to TMDSAS any event which occurs subsequent to filing this application but prior to matriculation that would alter any answer provided on my application. I understand that failure to do so is grounds for rejection of my application, withdrawl of any offer of acceptance, dismissal after enrollment, or rescission of any degrees granted."

Reading this got me all worried my acceptance would be taken away, so I just emailed where I will go and TMDSAS in case. (I thought that I would be continuing with my two jobs, but I decided to volunteer and take a class instead.)

Does it say anywhere on the application that future coursework isn't binding? Maybe it also says something special about that section. I mean, I know they can't blame us for changing our minds about planned activities, and since we're in, it doesn't count anyways, but I updated just in case.

I doubt most people catch this or update.

Anyone do the round the wards @ UTSW? Once Ann pencils you in, you show up at the admin building @ 8:30? I don't have my paper with the details.

just got my rejection letter from utsa. maybe thats what the lmfu update was for?

just got my rejection letter from utsa. maybe thats what the lmfu update was for?

did you interview there? if you interviewed you should not be receiving rejection letters until after the match.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but...i think i'm right. :)

Yep...LMFU 01/05 is a UTSA date...acceptance confirmation, interview offer, or rejection...so i've heard

Anyone do the round the wards @ UTSW? Once Ann pencils you in, you show up at the admin building @ 8:30? I don't have my paper with the details.

I did last month.....I had to watch a HIPPA video and then a fourth year took me over to Parkland. It was interesting....the attending had all the residents and students brief me on the pt. history before they gave their morning reports. I tried to look like I understood what they were telling me. but I did'nt understand 90% of the terms used....they were all friendly and I'm glad I went.

1/5 may mean something from UTH too because that is the only place I interviewed and I got an update on that day as well.

-Matthew

The latest LMFU probably marks the end of possible pre-match offers. It definitely does NOT mean an acceptance. There's no way in hell that TMDSAS would hear about your acceptance before you do. I'm know because I called and asked specifically.

For UTSW specifically, does anyone know when the last round of pre-match offers were decided and/or mailed out? I tried calling a few times myself, but couldn't get a hold of someone who could answer it.

For UTSW specifically, does anyone know when the last round of pre-match offers were decided and/or mailed out? I tried calling a few times myself, but couldn't get a hold of someone who could answer it.

I don't know when they were last sent, but when I got mine I was emailed and then got an overnight fedex with the paper stuff. The fedex would have definitely gotten to you by now. Sorry to have bad news, good luck in the match.

the prematch offer period ended on dec 31, the schools have to give you two weeks to respond and decline/accept an offer (i.e. Jan 15) . IMHO an LMFU of 1/05 would not signify any new offers that are prematch. Unfortunately I have no good theory for that LMFU being a match decision. It seems like the schools would want to wait till jan 15 at least to see how many spots they have to fill. Maybe we should consult Dan Brown and see where his theories lie on the conspiracy theory.

fyi mine is still 10/04 and I am feeling pretty bad that it hasn't changed, but elucidation will come soon (I'm not asking for pity).

Regardless, I wish everyone great news on match day and I am personally thankful that we have less than 5 weeks.

the prematch offer period ended on dec 31, the schools have to give you two weeks to respond and decline/accept an offer (i.e. Jan 15) . IMHO an LMFU of 1/05 would not signify any new offers that are prematch. Unfortunately I have no good theory for that LMFU being a match decision. It seems like the schools would want to wait till jan 15 at least to see how many spots they have to fill. Maybe we should consult Dan Brown and see where his theories lie on the conspiracy theory.

fyi mine is still 10/04 and I am feeling pretty bad that it hasn't changed, but elucidation will come soon (I'm not asking for pity).

Regardless, I wish everyone great news on match day and I am personally thankful that we have less than 5 weeks.

yeah that sounds about right... schools need to know how many seats they have left to fill first.

and im feeling ya on the LMFU too.. mine hasn't changed since 110306. i stopped checkin my mail compulsively so time's been a flying by... but honestly just thinking about logging in on to the TMDSAS page on Feb. 15 makes me lightheaded. :scared:

but hey we can do this ppl! hang in there. just think about all those glorious seats that will open up after MLK day ;)

did you interview there? if you interviewed you should not be receiving rejection letters until after the match.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but...i think i'm right. :)

yup no interviews.. i only had 3 interviews and im not expecting anything more out of tmdsas i was just adding what i thought could be the possible lmfu updates for people like myself that didn't interview at utsa. sorry if i startled you

The latest LMFU probably marks the end of possible pre-match offers. It definitely does NOT mean an acceptance. There's no way in hell that TMDSAS would hear about your acceptance before you do. I'm know because I called and asked specifically.

actually...i said acceptance confirmation (keyword CONFIRMATION)...01/05 is the date UTSA sent said to TMDAS "ok here are our lists- list 1-interview invites, list 2-the people who have accepted our prematch offers over the long winter break, list 3-the people who we are not going to interview"...

that's right dr. house, good point. a LMFU of 01/05 would not signify any new prematch offers, but it can signify the date a school sent in their list of students who accepted pre-match offers over the break.

So what happens if you don't rank a school you interviewed at? Does that work as a withdrawl?

I could probably look it up, but far to lazy

So what happens if you don't rank a school you interviewed at? Does that work as a withdrawl?

I could probably look it up, but far to lazy

The way I understand it you HAVE to rank every school you interviewed at unless you formally withdraw (by sending them a letter or something of the like). This is even if you have a pre-match acceptance. If you didn't withdraw from schools you would rank lower than your acceptance you have to rank them online, just lower than the acceptance.

If you really need I can copy paste from the emails they sent out. :)

The way I understand it you HAVE to rank every school you interviewed at unless you formally withdraw (by sending them a letter or something of the like). This is even if you have a pre-match acceptance. If you didn't withdraw from schools you would rank lower than your acceptance you have to rank them online, just lower than the acceptance.

If you really need I can copy paste from the emails they sent out. :)
Also, to add: The way I understand it, declining a pre-match offer is the same as withdrawing, so you don't have to rank these schools (pre-match offers that you have declined) in the match.

Also, to add: The way I understand it, declining a pre-match offer is the same as withdrawing, so you don't have to rank these schools (pre-match offers that you have declined) in the match.

Correct, that is exactly what the email that TMDSAS sent said.

this is just a curiosity question, but what happens if someone tried to hold 2+ acceptances past jan. 15?

this is just a curiosity question, but what happens if someone tried to hold 2+ acceptances past jan. 15?

The prematch acceptance screen will only let you accept 1 and will require you to pick decline from the drop down box on all the others that you have pre-match offers from. Now you could not fill that screen out. What would happen at that point - I'm guessing TMDSAS won't be pleased with you. What actions they take at that point, I don't know. Better take the blue pill, if I were you. :)

I don't know when they were last sent, but when I got mine I was emailed and then got an overnight fedex with the paper stuff. The fedex would have definitely gotten to you by now. Sorry to have bad news, good luck in the match.

I spoke with Wes Norred at UTSW and discussed the acceptance procedure with him from here on out. He said that at this point they have given out 260 acceptances to students. So far, 150 of those students have mulitple TMDSAS acceptances and others are going to choose out of state schools. He expects that the ad. committee will meet again at the end of January to make a new list of students that they will accept to fill the class if necessary. He also said, as before, that UTSW will most likely not be involved in the match. After the match, UTSW will give out acceptances to those on the newly compiled list in small groups of 2-5 students per week. Mr. Norred also discussed how on avg., UTSW has given out a total of 350-400 spots for admission. For those still waiting on UTSW, there are still likely to be another 100-150 spots given out, so stay hopeful! Also, don't expect to be matched at SW during the match.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

... He also said, as before, that UTSW will most likely not be involved in the match. ...

I didn't think the match was optional for participating schools. AFAIK, all TMDSAS school wil play in the sand box called the match.

The 260 # seems unusual, since we were told we weren't interviewing for a waitlist spot.

I didn't think the match was optional for participating schools. AFAIK, all TMDSAS school wil play in the sand box called the match.

The 260 # seems unusual, since we were told we weren't interviewing for a waitlist spot.

True, but the schools have the final say on who they accept, and SW could easily choose not to match any students to their school.

One question, for those of us with UTSW pre-match acceptances, do we still need to rank it then? I have ranked it #1 and withdrawn from my other two schools...I wonder if it's even necessary then. I guess maybe SW could send us an e-mail later on explaining that. :cool:

I spoke with Wes Norred at UTSW and discussed the acceptance procedure with him from here on out. He said that at this point they have given out 260 acceptances to students. So far, 150 of those students have mulitple TMDSAS acceptances and others are going to choose out of state schools. He expects that the ad. committee will meet again at the end of January to make a new list of students that they will accept to fill the class if necessary. He also said, as before, that UTSW will most likely not be involved in the match. After the match, UTSW will give out acceptances to those on the newly compiled list in small groups of 2-5 students per week. Mr. Norred also discussed how on avg., UTSW has given out a total of 350-400 spots for admission. For those still waiting on UTSW, there are still likely to be another 100-150 spots given out, so stay hopeful! Also, don't expect to be matched at SW during the match.

So basically, the school can't match applicants when its acceptance number (even after withdrawals) already exceeds class size? Makes sense, but there'll have to be a ton of new acceptances afterward.

This is so so different from last year :eek:

WHAT. That pisses me off.
Is Southwestern too good for the match?

They are going to just drag out this agonizing process even longer. Thanks Southwestern.

WHAT. That pisses me off.
Is Southwestern too good for the match?

They are going to just drag out this agonizing process even longer. Thanks Southwestern.

Go make some protein bars :laugh:

Seriously though, who are these Southwestern jerks?

True, but the schools have the final say on who they accept, and SW could easily choose not to match any students to their school.

One question, for those of us with UTSW pre-match acceptances, do we still need to rank it then? I have ranked it #1 and withdrawn from my other two schools...I wonder if it's even necessary then. I guess maybe SW could send us an e-mail later on explaining that. :cool:

I would definately go through the motions. Even though SW isn't accepting anyone from the match list yet, I'm pretty sure they are still "participating" in the match in the sense that they're going to be paying attention to the applicants they will lose to a higher match ranked school.

Is anyone else with pre-match offers getting kind of impatient for Feb. 15 so that we can start getting some info about next August and all that? I hate not hearing from the schools, because I'm so excited that I just want to start planning everything out!

I would definately go through the motions. Even though SW isn't accepting anyone from the match list yet, I'm pretty sure they are still "participating" in the match in the sense that they're going to be paying attention to the applicants they will lose to a higher match ranked school.

Is anyone else with pre-match offers getting kind of impatient for Feb. 15 so that we can start getting some info about next August and all that? I hate not hearing from the schools, because I'm so excited that I just want to start planning everything out!

Yeah, I was told that if you don't rank SW first then they won't even consider you for acceptance after the match. Their reason for avoiding the match is so that people with an acceptance already don't have to lose their acceptance if they also get in at UTSW. They want you to have plenty of time to make sure that UTSW is your top pick over the other school.

Personally, by ranking them first in the match, it seems to me that you've had plenty of time to think about it.

WTF

WTF

::shocked:: Wow that makes me somewhat rethink about ranking schools below SW, ones that actually wanted me... Once you save your list, is it possible to change it and save it again? I suppose I could try but as you know I'm an SDN premed and neurotic/paranoid about nearly anything that moves and even inanimate objects sometimes as well...

I'm getting a "not happy" vibe from SW after reading all this...

Reminds me of high school where everyone wanted to punch out all the "not happy" kids for beign so "unhappy", even other "unhappy" kids who were somewhat "happier"...

Yeah, I was told that if you don't rank SW first then they won't even consider you for acceptance after the match. Their reason for avoiding the match is so that people with an acceptance already don't have to lose their acceptance if they also get in at UTSW. They want you to have plenty of time to make sure that UTSW is your top pick over the other school.

Personally, by ranking them first in the match, it seems to me that you've had plenty of time to think about it.

Thats stupid. And makes no sense. Applicants have to make up their mind by Feb.1. That is how the match works.

WTF

WTF

::shocked:: Wow that makes me somewhat rethink about ranking schools below SW, ones that actually wanted me... Once you save your list, is it possible to change it and save it again? I suppose I could try but as you know I'm an SDN premed and neurotic/paranoid about nearly anything that moves and even inanimate objects sometimes as well...

You can change your list until Feb 1 :) No problemo

And I wouldn't worry too much about this UTSW stuff. Much of it makes no sense at all. Keep your head up. Only 1 month left!! We can do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.