Texas A&M C/O 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More exotics opportunities.
I'm not sure where you heard this but TAMU has little exotics. The curriculum hardly touches them, we have a few electives, but it's a lot of here's information now go learn it on your own. The teaching hospital also no longer has an exotics ward, and I don't think they plan on trying to re-open it any time soon. We do have an aviary and a wildlife center, but you really do have to seek out your own opportunities to get any type of wildlife exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where you heard this but TAMU has little exotics. The curriculum hardly touches them, we have a few electives, but it's a lot of here's information now go learn it on your own. The teaching hospital also no longer has an exotics ward, and I don't think they plan on trying to re-open it any time soon. We do have an aviary and a wildlife center, but you really do have to seek out your own opportunities to get any type of wildlife exposure.
Oh huh the curriculum really makes it seem like they are touched on in a lot of the core classes with quotes like “exposure includes dogs, cats, horses, ruminants, pocket pets, reptiles, camelids, birds” etc. Then there are electives mentioned such as “reptile surgery” something to that effect… I’m not interested in birds or wildlife (well wildlife but I know the career opportunities are very limited…) I’m more so interested in companion exotics, especially reptiles. Not really much in the way of classes for companion exotics?

Oh huh the curriculum really makes it seem like they are touched on in a lot of the core classes with quotes like “exposure includes dogs, cats, horses, ruminants, pocket pets, reptiles, camelids, birds” etc. Then there are electives mentioned such as “reptile surgery” something to that effect… I’m not interested in birds or wildlife (well wildlife but I know the career opportunities are very limited…) I’m more so interested in companion exotics, especially reptiles. Not really much in the way of classes for companion exotics?
In the first semester, we did not have any exposure. We get a little this semester from what I can tell. We had ONE day in anatomy we looked at chickens along with only 1 lecture. In integrated animal care (which I'm sure you've read about), we haven't done any companion exotic animals yet. Looking at our schedule it seems we get 1 bird lab and 1 pocket pet lab. They briefly talk about them, but not near to the extent of dogs, cats, horses, and food animals. I haven't heard amazing things about the exotics electives from the upper classes (quoting the here's info and now go learn it yourself), but I have yet to experience any electives as that comes 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the first semester, we did not have any exposure. We get a little this semester from what I can tell. We had ONE day in anatomy we looked at chickens along with only 1 lecture. In integrated animal care (which I'm sure you've read about), we haven't done any companion exotic animals yet. Looking at our schedule it seems we get 1 bird lab and 1 pocket pet lab. They briefly talk about them, but not near to the extent of dogs, cats, horses, and food animals. I haven't heard amazing things about the exotics electives from the upper classes (quoting the here's info and now go learn it yourself), but I have yet to experience any electives as that comes 2nd year.
Not sure if any of the 3rd year students will have a more promising report from their selectives options (I honestly don't know what opportunities they have), but as a 2nd year... this is pretty accurate.

At the end of first year, we had one rabbit lecture and lab (which was super fun, but not particularly organized) and then one lecture and lab combining reptiles and birds. I don't recall any other exotics content from 1st year.

I did take the small animal exotics elective in the fall. It's basically just a quick run-through of various species - with just one hour a week, there's limited time. Apparently taking it does open the door for some more intensive hands-on opportunities in 3rd year, so that's promising, I suppose? There's also a wild game elective that I didn't take but my friends loved.

I'm not in the large animal exotics elective this spring, so I can't speak to that. I think that's the extent of 2nd year offerings.

If you're considering A&M and want to know about outside opportunities, definitely contact the ZEW (zoo animal, exotics, and wildlife) club. They'd have a much better idea of what is (or isn't) available. They do put on a wet lab that looks pretty fun.

Does anyone know when we'll be invited to the c/o 2026 facebook page? :) Already stressing about housing and I heard a lot of people find other vet students to live with through there!

if you're considering A&M and want to know about outside opportunities, definitely contact the ZEW (zoo animal, exotics, and wildlife) club. They'd have a much better idea of what is (or isn't) available. They do put on a wet lab that looks pretty fun.
Yes! I have been able to be a part of organizing this! If you are curious to see offerings @kohara4 look at the website here! The labs change each year, but it can give you an idea of possible experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Just wanted to confirm that we're meant to send in transcripts directly to A&M according to the "Acceptance Acknowledgment Form" and not just TMDSAS? Thanks!

Whats the FASFA code? I have one but some schools have special vet ones so I wanna verify I've chosen the right one (yes I'm posting this in all the forums of my potential schools so plz don't hate me)

Any TAMU students here that would be willing to tell me about their experience? I will most likely be accepting my offer here since I was waitlisted at my IS school. Also, does anyone know of a facebook page for accepted TAMU CVM students for this app cycle? Thanks!

Any TAMU students here that would be willing to tell me about their experience? I will most likely be accepting my offer here since I was waitlisted at my IS school. Also, does anyone know of a facebook page for accepted TAMU CVM students for this app cycle? Thanks!
I'm happy to answer any questions you have and/or give you the rundown on my experience at TAMU, if that would be helpful for you. Just drop me a PM. :) The Facebook page was linked above (TAMU DVM Class of 2026) - if you request to join, they should add you pretty quickly. It seems like it's still pretty quiet there, but it'll start getting more active in the next couple of months.

Hello everyone and congrats to all those accepted! I applied and was waitlisted so I'm wondering if anyone knows statistics for those of us who aren't off the waitlist yet. I am in-state and already preparing to apply again this upcoming cycle but the waiting game has been quite difficult.

Officially heard from my last school! Rejected haha Texas, here I come. Super excited to finally be starting vet school! Grateful to have gotten into a program that offers such reasonable tuition. Any future classmates want to connect?

I just dropped myself off the instate waitlist, hopefully this helps someone get a spot!

Just got pulled from the IS waitlist today! So excited to meet all my future classmates!

Reactions: 3 users