Temple/LKSOM Post-Bacc ACMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like you might actually be a better fit for the ACHS program. I think, like others have said, that the ACMS application fee might be a waste of money.

The ACMS program guarantees admittance to LKSOM. It's as close to a guarantee as you can get from any post-bac.

Members don't see this ad.

The ACMS program guarantees admittance to LKSOM. It's as close to a guarantee as you can get from any post-bac.
Yes that is true, I think just for that particular user her statistics and background can get her a few interviews/acceptances with the flexibility of choosing where to go to medical school if she does not commit to ACMS!

Yes that is true, I think just for that particular user her statistics and background can get her a few interviews/acceptances with the flexibility of choosing where to go to medical school if she does not commit to ACMS!
maybe I want to go to Temple LKSOM...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I just applied literally last night, after a few weeks of working on my essays and I am wondering where I stand with this program? I wrote very thoughtful essays and my credentials are as follows

Stats:
sGPA: 3.59
cGPA: 3.81
Shadowing: I did not include hours on my app, but I have shadowed 12 physicians for a total of roughly 400 hours
Clinical volunteer: 200 (Hospice)
Non-clinical volunteering: 1200 Hours (Food Pantry), International environmental sustainability project, few other similar projects like this
Research: did not include hours, but 2 first author publications, 3 under review, and 1 patent
MCAT: not taken
ACT: 25
I never took Casper, there are no current dates. is it mandatory
Honestly, I don't think any applicant can say they know for sure what this program is looking for in an applicant. If I was to guess, I would say that one of the first things they're going to look at is your clinical experiences. While academics are important, this is an academic enhancer program and they likely give GPA and MCAT as much consideration as clinical experience. You have to consider that they're offering students a conditional acceptance into their med school and need to see that you've had ample exposure to patient care. I don't think any of us applicants can judge the quality of your application because we don't know your story and stats are only a part of it. This is solely my opinion though and someone else might say otherwise.

As for the CASPer, Temple's website says "All applicants to the Postbac program are required to complete an online assessment (CASPer), to assist with our selection process." So yes, I believe it is mandatory.

Hey guys!

I just applied literally last night, after a few weeks of working on my essays and I am wondering where I stand with this program? I wrote very thoughtful essays and my credentials are as follows

Stats:
sGPA: 3.59
cGPA: 3.81
Shadowing: I did not include hours on my app, but I have shadowed 12 physicians for a total of roughly 400 hours
Clinical volunteer: 200 (Hospice)
Non-clinical volunteering: 1200 Hours (Food Pantry), International environmental sustainability project, few other similar projects like this
Research: did not include hours, but 2 first author publications, 3 under review, and 1 patent
MCAT: not taken
ACT: 25
I never took Casper, there are no current dates. is it mandatory
Hey!! Your stats and experience look good and I agree with what the person said above me - just something that stands out to me however is your ACT. It is on the lower side and you don't have an MCAT to supplement. That being said, you never know what they're looking for - good luck to you!

They sent me an email that said, "All required items have been received, including the results of your CASPer assessment. Your application is now complete and has been placed Under Review."

Reactions: 1 user
They sent me an email that said, "All required items have been received, including the results of your CASPer assessment. Your application is now complete and has been placed Under Review."
Ok I received the same email.
Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, quick question when entering grades - does the "Subject" you categorize the course under have to match the department code? My university has for example a class we take to fulfill our writing requirements, but its listed as a history department code - any suggestions on if I should categorize it as a "Writing" subject vs "History" subject? Or I guess another example would be a course in the nutrition department I took that was really more of a biology class in terms of content. I also took Korean which isn't offered as an option in the pull-down tab, so I'm thinking of marking it as linguistics. I'm just making sure the course codes match the transcript.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, quick question when entering grades - does the "Subject" you categorize the course under have to match the department code? My university has for example a class we take to fulfill our writing requirements, but its listed as a history department code - any suggestions on if I should categorize it as a "Writing" subject vs "History" subject? Or I guess another example would be a course in the nutrition department I took that was really more of a biology class in terms of content. I also took Korean which isn't offered as an option in the pull-down tab, so I'm thinking of marking it as linguistics. I'm just making sure the course codes match the transcript.

I would try to see how the class appears on the transcript and go from there as I think postbaccas verify using the transcripts. So if the class shows up as HIS on the transcipt, I would put it under history subject.

I would try to see how the class appears on the transcript and go from there as I think postbaccas verify using the transcripts. So if the class shows up as HIS on the transcipt, I would put it under history subject.

I appreciate it, thank you! I'll do so.

How did you guys get around the PostBacCAS letter requirement if you're using Interfiolio to send LORs?

Thanks! Were you still able to submit the PBC app without the 1 minimum letter?

No I wasn't at first, so I just re-added the recommendation requests in the app as if I was still going use interfolio. The letters don't have to be uploaded in your app to submit, but it does require you to send out a recommendation request prior to submission. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else who was complete in December/January hear anything yet?

Last edited:
How do you know when you're complete? Can you be complete before your casper score is sent over?
No Temple has to receive all parts of your application for you to be complete. You'll get an email saying your application is under review.

No Temple has to receive all parts of your application for you to be complete. You'll get an email saying your application is under review.
yeah there’s no way to be complete and immediately receive and interview.

For CASPER, if we don't get into ACMS and decide to apply to medical schools this upcoming cycle, does that mean we retake CASPER within june/july im assuming? For the upcoming cycle? And are our previous scores taken into account like the MCAT?

Last edited:
For CASPER, if we don't get into ACMS and decide to apply to medical schools this upcoming cycle, does that mean we retake CASPER within june/july im assuming? For the upcoming cycle? And are our previous scores taken into account like the MCAT?
CASPer scores are only valid for one application cycle so if you applied to ACMS/BCMS (2019-2020 cycle) and will apply to med school (2020-2021 cycle), you will need to take it twice. Previous scores are not taken into account, I believe.

I just submitted my application in this morning at 1am. Tonight at 8pm I'll be taking my Casper to finalize and complete everything. Wish me luck please TT.TT

CASPer scores are only valid for one application cycle so if you applied to ACMS/BCMS (2019-2020 cycle) and will apply to med school (2020-2021 cycle), you will need to take it twice. Previous scores are not taken into account, I believe.

Thanks, that makes sense!

I took mine as well. Question, did you check Lewis Katz school of medicine for where you want to send your results? There’s no specific post bacc program admissions option to send the scores right?

Yes, I think so, that's what I did!

does anyone have info on housing? where do people typically live, find a roommate?

So the website says: “Additional consideration will be given for healthcare experiences, community service activities, evidence of intellectual curiosity, educational/environmental disadvantaged status, groups underrepresented in medicine, and those who have demonstrated exceptional service through the military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, and AmeriCorps.”

Does anyone know how much is this actually weighed? Like coupled with a 3.6 gpa will serving in Teach for America or AmeriCorps help cushion a low/sub-par SAT/ACT?

Anyone know if they give pre-II rejections throughout the application cycle, or are they sent out only at the end of the interview period?

Anyone know if they give pre-II rejections throughout the application cycle, or are they sent out only at the end of the interview period?
I had actually said before in this thread that according to last year's thread they only started sending rejections post the deadline to apply by. But they're doing some things differently this year so not 100% certain!

So the website says: “Additional consideration will be given for healthcare experiences, community service activities, evidence of intellectual curiosity, educational/environmental disadvantaged status, groups underrepresented in medicine, and those who have demonstrated exceptional service through the military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, and AmeriCorps.”

Does anyone know how much is this actually weighed? Like coupled with a 3.6 gpa will serving in Teach for America or AmeriCorps help cushion a low/sub-par SAT/ACT?
Isn't this the million dollar question hahaha I doubt anyone on SDN would be able to answer this accurately enough for you to predict your chances in this program. If you're looking for some reassurance - anyone I talked to about this program has said that their class varied widely in terms of stats and experiences. Which I take to mean that if the adcom sees something they really like in you, they will give you a chance despite possible minor weaknesses. At the end of the day, you just have to trust the process!

Reactions: 3 users
does the school offer any sort of financial aid? i know there's a 12,500 stafford loan, but that is not nearly enough to pay for the program.

How do students typically finance the program besides parents paying.

Anyone hear back anything yet?

does the school offer any sort of financial aid? i know there's a 12,500 stafford loan, but that is not nearly enough to pay for the program.

How do students typically finance the program besides parents paying.

I haven't heard much about FA. You could always check out Human Resources or your local bank to see what loan options there are. Also I haven't done much research on housing, its in Philly University area so you can find some apartments nearby, they're kinda pricey tho