Tattoos in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're going to violate the TOS, you probably shouldn't do it while quoting a mod.
but what if I can give proof? :p

Members don't see this ad.

And here I thought your avatar was *you* (not knowing who Zyzz was); this whole time I'm thinking, "this guy looks like a DB". LOL...

i have been told i look like a douchebag on dates
i reply with "yup, i'm a douchebag, but i can be your douchebag"

works every time

*brofist*

Reactions: 7 users

works every time

*brofist*
Could you be any more repulsive? How much do they love that walk of shame in the morning? After all...walking out of your bed probably is a big walk of shame for most girls, no? :)

Unless you have an amazing wee-wee and cause fireworks in bed, I can't imagine that experience being anything other than a walk of shame, as you put it. brah.

Members don't see this ad :)

works every time

*brofist*

I don't know why people dislike you....

Could you be any more repulsive? How much do they love that walk of shame in the morning? After all...walking out of your bed probably is a big walk of shame for most girls, no? :)

Unless you have an amazing wee-wee and cause fireworks in bed, I can't imagine that experience being anything other than a walk of shame, as you put it. brah.

Some people take their tattoos really seriously. I dated a girl who would yap about for hours on end about her tattoos and how she can't wait til her next one and she wants her whole body covered in tats. She would also beg me to get more tats on my body. I had to dip out of that quick.
Your posts are hilarious when I read them in a Dr. House voice.

Reactions: 1 user
When I started this thread, I did not know it would turn into a convo about some overly spray tanned internet celebrity with a cluster B personality disorder lol. He had some interesting tattoos but I can't say I would go for anything that looked like his...

Reactions: 1 users
I get that, but you seem to take it pretty seriously. I mean you've watched all his videos and know his entire background? Thats a bit weird imo. I can't imagine any situation where I would sit around and watch videos of another man without a shirt showing off all day. But to each his own I guess.

Well when you put it that way...

I think it would be badass to get a tattoo. I would get some on my pectoralis major or my deltoids, area where they could be easily covered by scrubs.

Unfortunately, I approached the topic obliquely with my parents (I pointed out a tattooed guy on the street and asked what they thought of his tattoos). They reacted surprisingly violently, and started raging about how they think that "only weirdos and insecure people get tattoos."

Well, there goes that idea. I was surprised with how angry they got, but I guess some patients will react that angrily too. Better not to make it an issue I guess.

Actually I have Asian parents and they are on board with a half sleeve. They think it's better than getting laser treatments or something else to the skin lol. I guess their child just fought off a life threatening disease so in their mind there are worse things that could happen than getting a tattoo. I do have a feeling that if there were different circumstances, they would not be on board with me getting a tat, at least one that large...

Reactions: 2 users
I really really don't appreciate when you get uppity and this might be the last chance you get. I'm not refraining from anything...you chalk my gender up to being a hair swooshing free-drink, free-entry bunch of tramps and you still have the nerve to talk with condescension that I haven't seen evidenced toward anyone else? Pshh, eat you know what.

Your style of marriage is purely based on economics. Any attractive female with the same economic standards as you would probably say "pass" so your attractive female is going to have to come at the exploitation of her need to climb financial status. no offense, of course. Sometimes you insist on making me tactless and more direct.

The only win is liking yourself. You haven't even managed that yet. You're not even in the game yet. You can't play the American game or you would because 1. it's only going to teach you...but you can't even get a namecard. and 2. unless you actually think you're gonna return in the next life as a brahmin or in jinnah, you are so playing yourself. 3. I suspect the reason you actually play along is that you know you can't do any better on your own...so you'd rather just take what's behind door #whatever you don't have to lose.

Daaaaaaaayyyyuuuuuummmmmm.

I'm kind of turned on.

He was born in Russia but is of Kurdish ethnicity which would explain the skin tone (along with some spray tan).

Having lived in Australia for a number of years and being of Aussie descent, my sense is that racism was certainly more open there than here. The attitudes would be akin to the US a generation ago, especially outside of the urban centers.

Yeah, that makes sense. If a celebrity here made a comment that blacks were "genetically inferior," there would be a ****show, but apparently, such comments go by without consequence in Australia.

Daaaaaaaayyyyuuuuuummmmmm.

I'm kind of turned on.

I mean, given that Anastomoses is going into medicine, I expected that she would show a bit more respect for our customs. You guys picked a field with tons of Indians in it, and many of them will be having arranged marriages. Hell, I was talking to some of my Indian buddies in school, and they also plan to get them. You're going to see a lot of it, so you might as well show respect for the institution and the numerous MDs who practice it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense. If a celebrity here made a comment that blacks were "genetically inferior," there would be a ****show, but apparently, such comments go by without consequence in Australia.

I mean, given that Anastomoses is going into medicine, I expected that she would show a bit more respect for our customs. You guys picked a field with tons of Indians in it, and many of them will be having arranged marriages. Hell, I was talking to some of my Indian buddies in school, and they also plan to get them. You're going to see a lot of it, so you might as well show respect for the institution and the numerous MDs who practice it.

Right. I applaud Indians who believe in the sanctity of marriage. Don't let fornicators tell you otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was appreciating the viciousness of her post, not agreeing with views on arranged marriage.

And no, you probably won't see understanding of arranged marriage for anyone outside of the cultures who practices it. It's foreign and anathema to americans.

I wouldn't say that it goes without consequence, just that you hear those comments much more there than you do here and that the uproar is typically muted in comparison.

I was appreciating the viciousness of her post, not agreeing with views on arranged marriage.

And no, you probably won't see understanding of arranged marriage for anyone outside of the cultures who practices it. It's foreign and anathema to americans.

Can't we all get along? There's no need for such vitriol here. :(

I don't expect people to understand, but I mean, I do expect a modicum of respect, given that you're going to be spending hours upon hours working with people who practice such institutions.

I understand it, but I think it's weird. However, I realize that I think that way because it's not customary to my upbringing. But who am I to talk? I'm sure the divorce rate is low. From what I understand, there is a heavy emphasis on the family as a unit and legacy. That's admirable in my opinion, and something that every relationship can relate to.

I wouldn't say that it goes without consequence, just that you hear those comments much more there than you do here and that the uproar is typically muted in comparison.
Where I come from, in Trinidad, there is also some racism towards Indians. It goes unchecked by far and large. That being said, it's not structural racism as is the case here in the US, if that makes sense. In fact, I didn't know "coolie" was an offensive word until I was older.

Where I come from, in Trinidad, there is also some racism towards Indians. It goes unchecked by far and large. That being said, it's not structural racism as is the case here in the US, if that makes sense. In fact, I didn't know "coolie" was an offensive word until I was older.

I've got "sand n*****" yelled at me before, but I've never got "coolie" or "Paki" in the USA, surprisingly.

I've got "sand n*****" yelled at me before, but I've never got "coolie" or "Paki" in the USA, surprisingly.
That's because most Americans don't know the word or it's usage. I think most of the bigots are ignorant, and (thankfully?) can not formulate the proper insults in their hate speech to cut deep. They know how to get to black people though, as the history of racism towards blacks is well known.

That's because most Americans don't know the word or it's usage. I think most of the bigots are ignorant, and (thankfully?) can not formulate the proper insults in their hate speech to cut deep. They know how to get to black people though, as the history of racism towards blacks is well known.

I think another issue is that Indians are so rare here, that people don't know how to react to them. We might as well be from Jupiter.

I'll take it that you're not on the East Coast. I don't think I've ever been to a place where South Asians are rare.

I didn't meet a single south asian person until I went to college and my roommate freshman year was indian.

I've grown up around Indians my whole life. When I moved here for medical school, I think I'm one of the only Indian people in this entire district of town. I feel sorta lonely tbh.

Can't we all get along? There's no need for such vitriol here. :(

I don't expect people to understand, but I mean, I do expect a modicum of respect, given that you're going to be spending hours upon hours working with people who practice such institutions.
The vitriol was due to your unique assertiveness with me. I have zilch problem with arranged marriages. Like...less than zilch. I have uncles, aunts, cousins in arranged marriages who dated, fell in and out of love a few times before succumbing to parental pressure so you're preaching to the choir. And even in India it's becoming less common.

I understand it, but I think it's weird. I'm sure the divorce rate is low. From what I understand, there is a heavy emphasis on the family as a unit and legacy. That's admirable in my opinion, and something that every relationship can relate to.
The divorce rate in India is climbing with a deft speed that rivals Carl Lewis. Economic security will do that.

strong generalizations

i've gained a healthy respect for the way indians handle marriage

i love how we think we have the right answers when it comes to marriage, but when you look at the statistics maybe we should be learning from them

Reactions: 2 users
I've grown up around Indians my whole life. When I moved here for medical school, I think I'm one of the only Indian people in this entire district of town. I feel sorta lonely tbh.

stop being an indian who lives in america and start being an american whose ethnicity is indian

there is a huge difference

Reactions: 3 users
The vitriol was due to your unique assertiveness with me. I have zilch problem with arranged marriages. Like...less than zilch. I have uncles, aunts, cousins in arranged marriages who dated, fell in and out of love a few times before succumbing to parental pressure so you're preaching to the choir. And even in India it's becoming less common.

The divorce rate in India is climbing with a deft speed that rivals Carl Lewis. Economic security will do that.

To be fair, I don't think anything you said was untrue even if it liked politeness

What a sad story. I grew up around white people and Chinese, Thai, Korean Asians. It only made me feel special every time someone looked up the country my parents were from on a globe or asked me what my name meant. Why can't you ever make lemonade?

What a sad story. I grew up around white people and Chinese, Thai, Korean Asians. It only made me feel special every time someone looked up the country my parents were from on a globe or asked me what my name meant. Why can't you ever make lemonade?

Everyone likes to rely on some "plight" to add meaning to the crappiness of their lives.

Obviously arkangeloid isn't accepted socially not because he is just an awkward individual but instead its because he is Indian.

That makes it easier to accept.

Everyone likes to rely on some "plight" to add meaning to the crappiness of their lives.

Obviously arkangeloid isn't accepted socially not because he is just an awkward individual but instead its because he is Indian.

Cut him a little slack. If you weren't born here and had an accent I think you'd have a hard time adjusting. It's different when you've immigrated here as an adult as opposed to non whites growing up here, @Anastomoses.

Cut him a little slack. If you weren't born here and had an accent I think you'd have a hard time adjusting. It's different when you've immigrated here as an adult as opposed to non whites growing up here, @Anastomoses.

I used to have a pretty bad accent. I went through pretty intense speech therapy to get rid of it. Even now, I still get scared around words with lots of "v" and "w" in them, because I'll inevitably slur them and it will reveal my accent.

As noted above, those are terms found more in Commonwealth countries, especially the UK and not in the US.

I didn't know "paki" was an offensive term until a few years ago when I had a chat with some UK people. And all along, I was using that term with Pakistani people because I didn't know better. Eh, I still use it today, too. Brown privilege.

I used to have a pretty bad accent. I went through pretty intense speech therapy to get rid of it. Even now, I still get scared around words with lots of "v" and "w" in them, because I'll inevitably slur them and it will reveal my accent.
I didn't know people did that.

Why you gotta be ashamed of your accent? From time to time, I'll whip out my brown accent for the hell of it. Then switch back to 'Murican. Then move onto Cockney or Scouse ...

Too bad - chicks dig guys with accents.

I didn't know "paki" was an offensive term until a few years ago when I had a chat with some UK people. And all along, I was using that term with Pakistani people because I didn't know better. Eh, I still use it today, too. Brown privilege.

My penchant for British film educated me about the offensiveness of the term. What I didn't know, until I Googled it today, was that "coolie" no longer necessarily referred to just servants from Asia (i.e., 19th century railroad workers).

Also ...

Anyone know the name of this movie? Been looking for over a year. I would appreciate someone posted the name, today itself.

The only win is liking yourself. You haven't even managed that yet. You're not even in the game yet. You can't play the American game or you would because 1. it's only going to teach you...but you can't even get a namecard. and 2. unless you actually think you're gonna return in the next life as a brahmin or in jinnah, you are so playing yourself. 3. I suspect the reason you actually play along is that you know you can't do any better on your own...so you'd rather just take what's behind door #whatever you don't have to lose.

@Arkangeloid: Everyone will have times when they "don't like themselves" or feel that their lives are "crappy" to some extent-- nobody likes every part of themselves and every part of their life all of the time. Don't let people make you feel like you're alone in those feelings, because even hot, intelligent, and successful women like Anastomoses will have times when they don't like parts of themselves. You just have to find a way to better the parts of your life that you don't like (if possible) and make the most of what you do have. Keep liking yourself in this process of making the most of what you've got and going after what you want (even if that is an arranged marriage). We're all gonna make it, brolleague.

Too bad - chicks dig guys with accents.

They dig British/French/Spanish accents, not Indian/Chinese/Arabic ones. At the least, I've never heard a single woman say she's found any of the latter few accents attractive. While I'm pretty sure every woman on earth has a raging hardon for a British accent for some reason.

In any case, the speech therapy probably helped me get into medical school and in my professional and social life. Every week, Reddit has yet another heavily-upvoted meme dedicated to bashing foreign professors who speak accented English. By eliminating my accent, people no longer place me in that box.

They dig British/French/Spanish accents, not Indian/Chinese/Arabic ones. At the least, I've never heard a single woman say she's found any of the latter few accents attractive. While I'm pretty sure every woman on earth has a raging hardon for a British accent for some reason.

In any case, the speech therapy probably helped me get into medical school and in my professional and social life. Every week, Reddit has yet another heavily-upvoted meme dedicated to bashing foreign professors who speak accented English. By eliminating my accent, people no longer place me in that box.
Yes, I understand, agree and was teasing you.

A man with a British accent is instantly more attractive. Maybe you should have affected that. ;)

Yes, I understand, agree and was teasing you.

A man with a British accent is instantly more attractive. Maybe you should have affected that. ;)

I can manage it. I'll just say "sonti-meter" instead of "centimeter" like all our visiting faculty do, and talk really weird, and throw in a bunch of "bollocks" and "bloody" and "you lot" and various other British-isms. It can't be that hard.

Reactions: 3 users
Tattoos got boring. Its more interesting to find ways to improve Ark's chances with women.

While we're on that subject, can somebody (besides notbob) help me in my "high yield" thread? I think that if I can figure out how to get better at classes and STEP I studying, my confidence and salary potential will both bloom.

Tattoos got boring. Its more interesting to find ways to improve Ark's chances with women.

if you want to learn how to fish, you don't ask advice from a fish. you ask advice from a fisherman.