Are you able to become a vet with only a biology degere?

AMahabir7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so sorry! I'm new here and I just realized I posted in the complete wrong forum :laugh:

Sure a biology degree and a DVM

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there AMahabir,
Thanks for asking. Veterinary school is completed after 4 years of Undergraduate, like most medical programs. Veterinary School is probably the most competitive of the bunch, so you will have to perform extremely well as an Undergrad to get into one of those programs. That shouldn't be a problem, but its best to know that and plan accordingly. You can get a degree in anything, but most students do get their degree in Biology simply because many of the pre-req classes are Biology Classes, and most students interested in Medicine are interested in Biology. But if you arent, thats totally fine as well and you will still be fine to get into a school. Most programs are 4 years in Undergraduate and 4 years in Veterinary School. There are a very small number of 7 year combination programs that grant 2 degrees a Bachelors (given after Undergrad) and the veterinary degree but those are extremely competitive and demanding.
Best of luck :)

Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College

Hello! So it really depends on the school you're wanting to go to!! For the most part, most vet school applicants (such as myself) tend to major in biology. However, as long as you have all the necessary prerequisites you can major in anything you want! I've met quite a few people who were theatre/art majors and now in vet school! Find out the school(s) you are interested in, follow their admission requirements closely throughout the years (things do change, they may add/take away requirements i.e. tests, prerequisites, etc.) and consult your college advisor in regards to formulating your schedule.