Surf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks in advance.

My question is quite simple. SURF deadlines are coming up in a few months, and I really want to do s SURF research fellowship this summer. Next summer is not possible for me as I will be studying hard on my MCATs and want to dedicate time into that.

Can I email a professor for the first time asking to do a SURF project under his mentorship? It would be my first time emailing him and everything. I have previously done research, but it has never been in this formality. It's been lighter.

So basically, would it look bad for me to do that? I wish I could spend some time volunteering in his lab first, but that's really not an option since it's January right now and the SURF deadlines are in March for my university. I would have only like a month to "volunteer" lol.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick update: I emailed a ton of professors, got many replies, and I will be starting research with a professor this summer, though I am unsure of doing SURF, due to the limits it brings.