Oxford or Yale or HSCI or Caltech SURF for summer research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twogethere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am an international medical student and have been accepted by both Yale and Oxford for a 6-8-week summer research. Both are unpaid opportunities.
For Oxford, it would be related to hematology but for Yale, I could choose my own topic of interest.
It is not a summer institute or training program but simply supervised by a professor and learn techniques.
I have done research in the UK before (not Oxford) and haven't been to the US but seems like then name of Oxford looks better on my CV for future research opportunities?
Also, I am planning to apply for the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and Caltech SURF program because they look more organised and intensive. Also, I could interact with other interns but at Oxford or Yale I don't think I would have other opportunities except for talking to people in the lab.
Should I apply to the other programs and wait for the results or just accept the offers since they are already quite decent?

Thank you for your kind advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, where do your interests lie? If hematology holds a particular interest for you, I would go for the Oxford program. If not, go for the Yale program and focus on something you are interested in. Either one will look good on your CV.

I spent a few years in research at Harvard (just down the street from HSCI) and enjoyed my time there. From a quick search it looks like the HSCI internship program is for undergraduate students only? Unless I'm missing something? If it is also for medical students I would certainly recommend applying.

Do you have timelines or the possibility that you might lose one opportunity while waiting for applications to others?

Best of luck! Sounds like you have great opportunities for the summer. :)

Well, where do your interests lie? If hematology holds a particular interest for you, I would go for the Oxford program. If not, go for the Yale program and focus on something you are interested in. Either one will look good on your CV.

I spent a few years in research at Harvard (just down the street from HSCI) and enjoyed my time there. From a quick search it looks like the HSCI internship program is for undergraduate students only? Unless I'm missing something? If it is also for medical students I would certainly recommend applying.

Do you have timelines or the possibility that you might lose one opportunity while waiting for applications to others?

Best of luck! Sounds like you have great opportunities for the summer. :)

Thank you for your kind comments! I have chosen the Yale program over the Oxford one.
I am a med student outside the US and my degree is 6 years so I am also eligible for the HSCI program. Applied already and fingers crossed. It looks really competitive.
One more question, research at Yale or Caltech SURF?