Summer Undergraduate Programs (SURF, HHMI, AMGEN)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am going to a tier 3 undergrad school, and will be starting as a freshmen this fall. I am very interested in research, and am most likely pursuing a MD/PhD. To make up for my lack of undergrad research opportunities at my undergrad, I want to make up by doing these types of programs to boost my research.

• Could you tell me what I should do between now and January to build up a resume that could get me accepted into any SURF program?
  • Any tips or tricks for research chances?
  • Does having publications matter? what about poster presentations?
  • Are there any classes I should have taken?
  • Any jobs that are looked upon favorably?
Please help me build up a strong resume. Any tidbits of information is highly appreciated.

**I have already read the Research FAQ's

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am going to a tier 3 undergrad school, and will be starting as a freshmen this fall. I am very interested in research, and am most likely pursuing a MD/PhD. To make up for my lack of undergrad research opportunities at my undergrad, I want to make up by doing these types of programs to boost my research.

• Could you tell me what I should do between now and January to build up a resume that could get me accepted into any SURF program?
Please help me build up a strong resume. Any tidbits of information is highly appreciated.

Work on getting great letters of recommendation from a couple of science professors. It is a very important step that lots of people forget.

Work on getting great letters of recommendation from a couple of science professors. It is a very important step that lots of people forget.

Cool. Other advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to express a genuine interest in becoming a researcher first and foremost. Many of those applications have a question "Which of these fields do you prefer: MD, MD/PhD, and PhD?" Choose your answer very carefully. I chose to answer honestly (that I wanted an MD first and then to get involved in research in my specialty down the road) and that probably hurt my application.

Also, take time on your essays and try to lay out your career/research goals very thoughtfully. Don't skimp on that part of the application either.

:laugh: At least you started off right! I hope it helped.

...I am going to a tier 3 undergrad school, and will be starting as a freshmen this fall. I am very interested in research, and am most likely pursuing a MD/PhD. To make up for my lack of undergrad research opportunities at my undergrad, I want to make up by doing these types of programs to boost my research.

Please help me build up a strong resume. Any tidbits of information is highly appreciated...
I never had a problem when I was accepted to a summer research program like the ones you're talking about. I don't know where you are in school (soph, junior?). Right now just focus on getting good grades. Grades, and applying to many of these programs, are the best things to help you get into a summer program.

The LORs will come if you do well in class.

As a bit of a digression, MD/PhD programs want to creat physician-scientists. That's it. And in your shoes, I would not commit myself to a 8-9 year program (yes, they are frequently that long) without having some research experience. There's no point in training to be a scientist until you know that you like the work.

You will have to express a genuine interest in becoming a researcher first and foremost. Many of those applications have a question "Which of these fields do you prefer: MD, MD/PhD, and PhD?" Choose your answer very carefully. I chose to answer honestly (that I wanted an MD first and then to get involved in research in my specialty down the road) and that probably hurt my application.

Also, take time on your essays and try to lay out your career/research goals very thoughtfully. Don't skimp on that part of the application either.
Are you talking about applying to MD/PhD programs? If so, then that might fly. I thought the OP was asking for help on applying summer programs, which is before the MD vs MD/PhD decision point (and many people do these summer things only to discover they never want to do research again).

Are you talking about applying to MD/PhD programs? If so, then that might fly. I thought the OP was asking for help on applying summer programs, which is before the MD vs MD/PhD decision point (and many people do these summer things only to discover they never want to do research again).

Yes, I am talking about the summer programs.

:laugh: At least you started off right! I hope it helped.

I never had a problem when I was accepted to a summer research program like the ones you're talking about. I don't know where you are in school (soph, junior?). Right now just focus on getting good grades. Grades, and applying to many of these programs, are the best things to help you get into a summer program.

The LORs will come if you do well in class.

As a bit of a digression, MD/PhD programs want to creat physician-scientists. That's it. And in your shoes, I would not commit myself to a 8-9 year program (yes, they are frequently that long) without having some research experience. There's no point in training to be a scientist until you know that you like the work.

Yes, the FAQ's helped A TON. I am going to be a freshmen, so just starting off. Are there any pitfalls to avoid? Also, what should I do to build up the strongest research experience to get into one of these programs my freshmen summer.

I want to md/phd ( i know its early to decide, but thats why I am working for these summer programs).

Yes, the FAQ's helped A TON...
Good. You're welcome.

...I am going to be a freshmen, so just starting off. Are there any pitfalls to avoid? Also, what should I do to build up the strongest research experience to get into one of these programs my freshmen summer...
Pitfalls? Don't party and fool around so much that your grades slip. That's about it. The most of these programs just look at grades and essays. I participated in this one, and I don't remember anything more being required.

...I want to md/phd ( i know its early to decide, but thats why I am working for these summer programs).
So have fun in freshman year, get good grades, and apply. See how it goes, see if you like it, and if you don't, that's OK. If you do, that's OK too. Just use these programs as a way to test yourself and see what fits.

Good. You're welcome.

Pitfalls? Don't party and fool around so much that your grades slip. That's about it. The most of these programs just look at grades and essays. I participated in this one, and I don't remember anything more being required.

So have fun in freshman year, get good grades, and apply. See how it goes, see if you like it, and if you don't, that's OK. If you do, that's OK too. Just use these programs as a way to test yourself and see what fits.

Could you tell me about your program? what was it that set you apart from your peers? My college is not well known, so am I at a disadvantage? What year did you do it in and what was you gpa?

congrats for being so focused so early in your education. I participated in two such summer programs, one including amgen, and will tell you that as a freshmen it will be hard to get into these programs. Not all of them, some of them accept applications from underclassman but I'm pretty sure the majority want you to be entering your junior or senior year.

You'll have to search around for the programs that accept applications from younger students. But as Rxnman stated. Just do well in your classes (especially science) build a good relationship with one or two science proffs and be able to speak clearly about your passion for science and how the research experience you gain from the program would ultimately help you in your career.

You can PM me if you want specific details about my summer programs.

good luck

congrats for being so focused so early in your education. I participated in two such summer programs, one including amgen, and will tell you that as a freshmen it will be hard to get into these programs. Not all of them, some of them accept applications from underclassman but I'm pretty sure the majority want you to be entering your junior or senior year.

You'll have to search around for the programs that accept applications from younger students. But as Rxnman stated. Just do well in your classes (especially science) build a good relationship with one or two science proffs and be able to speak clearly about your passion for science and how the research experience you gain from the program would ultimately help you in your career.

You can PM me if you want specific details about my summer programs.

good luck

For freshmen year, what are some good classes to get into one of these programs? Sophomore year? Junior year?

Could someone explain the HHMI summer program? How does one find a mentor?

For freshmen year, what are some good classes to get into one of these programs? Sophomore year? Junior year?

Could someone explain the HHMI summer program? How does one find a mentor?

Good question. ANyone?

the typical premed layout works pretty nicely, you can't really get into the more advanced classes until junior year anyways but I would go something like the following (assuming some of the general classes were two semesters like they were at my university) and also note that every school has unique class titles and curriculum

fresh-fall
gen chem 1
gen bio 1

fresh-spring
gen chem 2
gen bio 2

soph-fall
orgo 1
micro bio
soph-spring
orgo2
cell biology

Jun-fall
physics 1
genetics
jun-spring
physics 2
physiology

depending on how ambitious you are and the requirements you have for the upper level classes I would recommend taking some of the following courses: molecular biology courses, maybe immunology, biochemistry or neuroscience courses and this is all dependent on what your interests are (for instance, I liked my intro neuroscience course so I picked up a neuroscience major which required taking higher level neuroscience specific courses and neurophysiology)

really there is no magic formula, just do well in your sciences classes and be able to express your love and passion for science very well and you should be fine..

also as a side not, it might be a good idea to take some math classes, at least precalc and maybe calc one and calc 2 which would be a nice thing to throw in during freshmen and sophomore year

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My scheudle:
Fall:
honors chem 1
honors bio 1
calc for bio
should I add a stupid easy physics class into this? Make myself more competitive?

My scheudle:
Fall:
honors chem 1
honors bio 1
calc for bio
should I add a stupid easy physics class into this? Make myself more competitive?

I think as a freshmen it would be better to wait to take physics. I think most people take it the year they plan to take the mcat, so I took my year of physics as a junior.

I think your schedule looks fine for a first semester freshmen...if you need/want to add a class, add one of the other required courses from the arts like english, philosophy, or psychology.

The physics class I was going to add was : THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE.

Everyone who takes it gets an A. Plus, it is a extra science class. Would this help me compete moreso with the upper level students applying to these programs?

The physics class I was going to add was : THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE.

Everyone who takes it gets an A. Plus, it is a extra science class. Would this help me compete moreso with the upper level students applying to these programs?

no i really don't think so, the class sounds like an introductory class meant for people that are non-science.

I'm assuming that your second semester will look pretty similar to your first as you finish the second half of those classes. Just do as well as you can on those. As I said awhile ago, it is difficult as a freshmen to get into these programs because it takes a year or two to really get a lot of experience in class.

Does your school have any research at all that you could get involved in?

no i really don't think so, the class sounds like an introductory class meant for people that are non-science.

I'm assuming that your second semester will look pretty similar to your first as you finish the second half of those classes. Just do as well as you can on those. As I said awhile ago, it is difficult as a freshmen to get into these programs because it takes a year or two to really get a lot of experience in class.

Does your school have any research at all that you could get involved in?

There minimal opportunities, which I will take advantage of. Gahhh, I am trying to get some more research at a local hospital.

Could you tell me about your program? what was it that set you apart from your peers? My college is not well known, so am I at a disadvantage? What year did you do it in and what was you gpa?

I'm doing a summer research program right now (I'll be a junior in the fall) . I'm also from a college that's not very well known but I don't think that hurt me too much. My mentor who's on the selection committee for my program said that the first thing they look at to screen applicants is grades..so I would focus on that first and foremost.
The program I'm in got ~120 applications and accepted about 10. My mentor said about half of the applicants had nearly perfect grades so they look definitely look very closely at your statement of interest and letters of recommendation to set you apart.
I also think that working as a lab assistant during the school year helped me out..When I applied to programs last summer, I didn't have any research experience so I think that hurt me (and it's probably more difficult to get in as a freshman anyway). If there are any opportunities at all for you to get involved in any research during the year, even if you start out washing glassware and making solution or whatever, it's a good place to start and will allow you to work your way up to a better position.
And when you do apply, I'd recommend applying to a lot of different programs..I got a LOT of rejections and like 2 or 3 acceptances so I'm glad I applied to a wide range, including some super competitive ones and some not as competitive ones in not as great locations.

I'm doing a summer research program right now (I'll be a junior in the fall) . I'm also from a college that's not very well known but I don't think that hurt me too much. My mentor who's on the selection committee for my program said that the first thing they look at to screen applicants is grades..so I would focus on that first and foremost.
The program I'm in got ~120 applications and accepted about 10. My mentor said about half of the applicants had nearly perfect grades so they look definitely look very closely at your statement of interest and letters of recommendation to set you apart.
I also think that working as a lab assistant during the school year helped me out..When I applied to programs last summer, I didn't have any research experience so I think that hurt me (and it's probably more difficult to get in as a freshman anyway). If there are any opportunities at all for you to get involved in any research during the year, even if you start out washing glassware and making solution or whatever, it's a good place to start and will allow you to work your way up to a better position.
And when you do apply, I'd recommend applying to a lot of different programs..I got a LOT of rejections and like 2 or 3 acceptances so I'm glad I applied to a wide range, including some super competitive ones and some not as competitive ones in not as great locations.

What are some good ones to try as a freshmen

Thanks man - anyone else?

I'll throw some advice in here...

It was mentioned above, but I will elaborate. Make sure you look into what the goal of the program is. Do they want you to become a PhD or do they want you to become an MD/PhD. Several places I almost applied, made it very clear that PhD-only was favored over MD/PhD. Other places specifically took kids that wanted to do an MD/PhD. This ties into the importance of essays.

Other than that...get good grades, don't worry about what science classes you take or how many, just take a normal load and get a solid GPA. And get to know some science profs while you're at it :)

Got my first research position today! first semester I will be with the professor learning about the topic, then 2nd semester I get involved in the lab. She says I should get a publication or 2 a year, so thats a plus. =)