Chances at getting (Amgen, SURE, SURF, REU, etc.) biomedical sciences/engineering internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just trying to figure out how feasible it would be to get into a REU/Amgen Scholars/other research-based program for summer 2017 to see which ones I should apply to in the coming months. So here's some background info about me so hopefully some people can throw some advice my way on whether or not I'm competitive for such high-caliber research programs:

-I'm a sophomore at Saint Louis University majoring in biomedical engineering and minoring in French with a 3.82 GPA.
-I'm involved in Biomedical Engineering Society, Engineering Health Collaborative (EHC), and a service and faith group on campus called Micah.
-For 3 summers I worked for a company testing a device that purified blood components which was approved by the FDA. It was only a dry lab, though.
-I should be able to get solid LORs from my Computing, Mechanics, and maybe Calc III professors.
-This and last semesters I've been working in preliminary lab work on a new research project through EHC aimed at synthesizing an antimicrobial pattern through electrospinning. We will be at the bench for the first time next week.

Sadly, I'm not currently doing any research with a professor because I am studying abroad in Madrid next semester, which is why I'm trying to figure this out now. Worrying about getting LORs and transcripts when I'm abroad doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Please let me know if there's anything else I should include to get a better idea of how qualified I might be for an REU or Amgen program position. I'm especially interested in the Amgen Scholars programs at Wash U, Columbia, and UC Berkeley, the Duke REU program, SUIP at UPenn, and BioMedRap at Wash U. Please tell me if you think I have no shot at this kind of thing, that would be helpful to know. Brutal honesty is best. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.