SUNY Buffalo 2011:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a bunch of friends who live there, they all like it there enough not to move out.

Members don't see this ad.

I am literally about 6 houses down from the ER entrance to childrens (like a 20 second walk.) I am PRAYING for a 12 week rotation there in the dead of winter so I never have to waste time/money driving in the snow :cool:

Haha, well you definitely have me beat.

My mom was suggesting to me that I go eat some meals at either Children's or Fillmore if I don't have time to cook :laugh:
I looked at her like she was crazy, but she apparently didn't find this a crazy idea, because she works at a hospital and sees the elderly people who live across the street come to their cafeteria.

Haha, well you definitely have me beat.

My mom was suggesting to me that I go eat some meals at either Children's or Fillmore if I don't have time to cook :laugh:
I looked at her like she was crazy, but she apparently didn't find this a crazy idea, because she works at a hospital and sees the elderly people who live across the street come to their cafeteria.
JJ's bar/Casa di Pizza is pretty good, and that's at the corner of Hodge and Elmwood. They also have frozen entrees in their take-out section. You'll never have to leave that block again! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone recommend the Palm T|X for the PDA that we need to get? My cell provider doesn't have any palm smartphones, so I gotta get a standalone before school starts...

On a totally unrelated topic - I'm from out of state and plan on establishing NY residency in my first year so that I can get instate tuition for the last three years of school.. Where do we go to get a NY drivers license and register to vote and all that jazz?

Does everyone recommend the Palm T|X for the PDA that we need to get? My cell provider doesn't have any palm smartphones, so I gotta get a standalone before school starts...

On a totally unrelated topic - I'm from out of state and plan on establishing NY residency in my first year so that I can get instate tuition for the last three years of school.. Where do we go to get a NY drivers license and register to vote and all that jazz?
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/ethrum.htm should do the trick! You can register to vote there, too.

Talking to various people, they all highly recommended the Palm TX if they planned on not getting the bulky Treo Phone. I'm just going to roll with the Palm Tungsten E2 that I already have. I was told that we will not really use the Palm TX to its full capabilities in the first 2 years and by 3rd and 4th year, they will probably have nicer PDA's then.

Talking to various people, they all highly recommended the Palm TX if they planned on not getting the bulky Treo Phone. I'm just going to roll with the Palm Tungsten E2 that I already have. I was told that we will not really use the Palm TX to its full capabilities in the first 2 years and by 3rd and 4th year, they will probably have nicer PDA's then.
I know several current students with the tungsten E2 and it has been fine for them.

This might be a stupid question, but I know some schools have "dress codes." During the first two years does everyone pretty much just wear the same kind/style of clothing they wore during undergrad, or am I going to have to go out and buy a bunch of dressier stuff? I'm covered for any clinical experiences where we need scrubs because I have a bunch from work, but I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a whole bunch of $$ right away to revamp my wardrobe...

This might be a stupid question, but I know some schools have "dress codes." During the first two years does everyone pretty much just wear the same kind/style of clothing they wore during undergrad, or am I going to have to go out and buy a bunch of dressier stuff? I'm covered for any clinical experiences where we need scrubs because I have a bunch from work, but I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a whole bunch of $$ right away to revamp my wardrobe...

When you're in the doctors offices each week for preceptor, or for anything that involves you being in the hospital, its shirt and tie.

For all the lectures (aka: 99% of the time), wear whatever you want. Shorts, Jeans, sweatpants, scrubs... I'd suggest clothing you find comfortable since the lecture hall seats definitely are not.

You won't need to upgrade your wardrobe during your first 2 years but you will for your 3rd year because scrubs are not "acceptable attire". They're also not acceptable for any clinical experiences you might have in your first 2 years. You'll pretty much only wear scrubs for anatomy.

Med students only wear scrubs if we're taking overnight call, or if we're doing inpatient surgery or OB (depending on your attending). In all other services and all other cases, you have to dress "professionally" (ie shirt and tie if you're a guy). So unless you want to recycle your clothes a lot, you'll need to have enough outfits to cover at least a week. Scrubs are apparently considered "pajamas".

In this clinical course, will they let us do more procedures if we have already done them in the past (like draw blood, ivs, etc)? I really hope so. I know the probably wont let me, but for some reason I can't wait to suture. Maybe I watch too much greys:laugh:

You won't need to upgrade your wardrobe during your first 2 years but you will for your 3rd year because scrubs are not "acceptable attire". They're also not acceptable for any clinical experiences you might have in your first 2 years. You'll pretty much only wear scrubs for anatomy.

Med students only wear scrubs if we're taking overnight call, or if we're doing inpatient surgery or OB (depending on your attending). In all other services and all other cases, you have to dress "professionally" (ie shirt and tie if you're a guy). So unless you want to recycle your clothes a lot, you'll need to have enough outfits to cover at least a week. Scrubs are apparently considered "pajamas".

In the clinical course, do females usually wear dress pants or skirts? thanks

The clinical course is more for learning how to do a history and physical exam, not so much for procedures.

You do learn some procedures during the second year procedures course, including suturing. But it's not really a big part of the first two years.

As far as dress for females, I think it depends on the length of your skirt. And if you wear a skirt, you have to wear hose. I think most people just go with pants to be safe but I'm not positive about that. And another thing about the "appropriate attire for females" during years 3 and 4 is that you absolutely cannot wear anything that reveals any cleavage whatsoever. They made a pretty big point about that during orientation.

But really don't worry about any of that stuff yet; you can wear whatever you want for the first two years for class.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's not that they'd necessarily send you home for "dress code infractions" or anything, but you run the risk of them penalizing you for "unprofessional appearance" on your evaluation. Better safe than sorry, medicine is still pretty conservative. Haha. I know know how I got into all this. Bottom line, don't worry about it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The clinical course is more for learning how to do a history and physical exam, not so much for procedures.

You do learn some procedures during the second year procedures course, including suturing. But it's not really a big part of the first two years.

As far as dress for females, I think it depends on the length of your skirt. And if you wear a skirt, you have to wear hose. I think most people just go with pants to be safe but I'm not positive about that. And another thing about the "appropriate attire for females" during years 3 and 4 is that you absolutely cannot wear anything that reveals any cleavage whatsoever. They made a pretty big point about that during orientation.

But really don't worry about any of that stuff yet; you can wear whatever you want for the first two years for class.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's not that they'd necessarily send you home for "dress code infractions" or anything, but you run the risk of them penalizing you for "unprofessional appearance" on your evaluation. Better safe than sorry, medicine is still pretty conservative. Haha. I know know how I got into all this. Bottom line, don't worry about it yet.

omg no cleavage? There goes my entire wardrobe:eek::laugh:

i am so excited for day 1! i try to be cool and enjoy the last precious few weeks of not knowing what it is like to be an MS1...but i swear--i am chomping at the bit here...

i have about 100 things planned for pure enjoyment between now and 8/6...but i am still excited to start.

anyone else?

does anyone know if we have access to our UB ID#'s now or do we have to wait until we get to campus and get our ID cards?

does anyone know if we have access to our UB ID#'s now or do we have to wait until we get to campus and get our ID cards?

They can tell you what it is if you call em up. I think I called the financial aid office once and the lady who answered the phone told me my ID # while setting up an appointment for me to talk to someone.

At least I hope that's my ID # or I've been writing the wrong thing on all those forms, hahaha.

You have to pick up your card in person. You can upload your photo right now and have it already to go for when orientation begins (or earlier I guess if you want). Apparently they have a time during orientation when everyone goes there and gets their cards. I uploaded my photo and I might actually pick mine up early since I'm going to be moving there on August 1st and will have some extra time before orientation starts. I had to put the last 6 digits of my UB ID card number on some form or on the website I remember.... I called their tech office to ask what my card number was and they made me fax a copy of my drivers license to prove it was me so they could tell me the number over the phone.

You have to pick up your card in person. You can upload your photo right now and have it already to go for when orientation begins (or earlier I guess if you want). Apparently they have a time during orientation when everyone goes there and gets their cards. I uploaded my photo and I might actually pick mine up early since I'm going to be moving there on August 1st and will have some extra time before orientation starts. I had to put the last 6 digits of my UB ID card number on some form or on the website I remember.... I called their tech office to ask what my card number was and they made me fax a copy of my drivers license to prove it was me so they could tell me the number over the phone.

thanks guys...that's funny, i did this yesterday and dorky me was all excited to have a UB email

Gah! I'm moving tommorrow...and yes I'm still up packing, lol.

And no, I'm not totally insane and going to sit around Buffalo for 2 weeks alone, I'm driving back down and back up again to move more stuff since I just have a regular car (and was too broke/cheap to pay $700 for a U-Haul truck...they're expensive!).

Gonna do CPR up there, try to get an ID card, etc.

Bad thing is I bought John Mayer tickets like 4 months ago and I dunno if I'll make it home in time so I've been trying to sell them at the last minute. *sigh*

Gah! I'm moving tommorrow...and yes I'm still up packing, lol.

And no, I'm not totally insane and going to sit around Buffalo for 2 weeks alone, I'm driving back down and back up again to move more stuff since I just have a regular car (and was too broke/cheap to pay $700 for a U-Haul truck...they're expensive!).

Gonna do CPR up there, try to get an ID card, etc.

Bad thing is I bought John Mayer tickets like 4 months ago and I dunno if I'll make it home in time so I've been trying to sell them at the last minute. *sigh*

sooo...are you in? how is the new place?

welcome to buffalo!

Hi everyone. I hope it's okay that I'm posting here even though I'm not going to Buffalo med school. I like this thread because it helped me in terms of apartment hunting and providing general info about Buffalo. I will be a student at Buffalo this fall (PhD program, not related to medicine at all), but I wouldn't mind med school friends :). I'm going to be living in Gaslight Square apartments in Amherst. Anyone else living there or know any info about it? I did visit it before I decided on it and liked it a lot from what I saw of it...

Hey Guys,

I have been trying so hard to find a place in Buffalo. I cannot fly to Buffalo and am having my friend look at places. He apparently does not like any of them. Any suggestions? Has anyone looked at Mayflower? If you have, what do you think? Thanks guys. See you in like a week or so. I am SOOOOO excited!:D

Hey future classmates :biglove: and upper-classfolk:

I heard from some upper-classmen friends at UB that the $500 kit of fun gadgets is completely unnecessary for most people to own. I'd like a really nice stethoscope (like one that costs more than my $19 one) but what else is really necessary? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: My agenda is that I really love tools and gadgets so I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to spend the money.

I heard from some upper-classmen friends at UB that the $500 kit of fun gadgets is completely unnecessary for most people to own. I'd like a really nice stethoscope (like one that costs more than my $19 one) but what else is really necessary? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: My agenda is that I really love tools and gadgets so I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to spend the money.

I am going with the kit, just because it has everything and I think they said it was under warantee (did they say that?) Also, I lost all my old stuff:( :( So I need new toys to feel better about myself:D I had the cutest 14 dollar pink stethoscope girlsporty. Imagine my tears when I found out pink was not an option (out of the 4 offered)

I got most of my furniture shopping done =) Lugged a few things myself, and am having some other stuff delivered (aka, the heavy stuff I'd probably have injured myself trying to do myself-actually, I injured myself slightly anyway...the U-Haul truck I rented had this tow hitch with SHARP CORNERS...ouch), and now all that I really need is a good desk chair.

Already have the exact same stethescope that's in the kit since my friends got it for me, and it's in burgundy which matches my Treo 755p haha. I'll look so color coordinated with all my required med school gear.

Can't wait to meet all of you soon and put more faces to sdn names.

I got most of my furniture shopping done =) Lugged a few things myself, and am having some other stuff delivered (aka, the heavy stuff I'd probably have injured myself trying to do myself-actually, I injured myself slightly anyway...the U-Haul truck I rented had this tow hitch with SHARP CORNERS...ouch), and now all that I really need is a good desk chair.

Already have the exact same stethescope that's in the kit since my friends got it for me, and it's in burgundy which matches my Treo 755p haha. I'll look so color coordinated with all my required med school gear.

Can't wait to meet all of you soon and put more faces to sdn names.

well you are going to match a bunch of us girls;) We can be the burgundy stethoscope club haha.

hey where did you buy at?

A combination of Sam's Club and this chain called "Rosa's" I think. They were in all the local towns. I just bought the bedroom set they had on their front page since it was one of the cheaper sets and seemed decent for the money...nothing fancy. Also picked up a cheap couch there (it was $388 I think? They had quite a few designs at $388...nothing super top notch but I don't really have super top notch money).

Then I got my mattress and a pretty nice computer desk at Sam's club. I actually liked this couch at Sam's club better (leather and microfiber couch there looked nice for $450) but...they don't deliver anything and I was just up there with my mother so it wasn't really practical to move the sofa ourselves. U-Haul ended up costing me a little more than I'd expected since I was kinda paranoid and got the full insurance coverage which pretty much doubled my rental cost...but I think I got ripped off since Geico apparently might have covered the U-Haul rental anyway, but the U-haul place was closing so I didn't really have time to call up Geico and ask.

Save for the stethoscope (a Cardiology III), the kit is not necessary. All the other doodads are available in the clinical exam rooms, but the kit is still pretty nice and is fully covered against any malfunctions for as long as you own it.

Personally though, I'd use the money to buy a very nice stethoscope, which at most will set you back $200.

Also, be wary of the Kaplan salesman, who at the beginning of the year will try to sell a $900+ package for STEP review materials. I was actually offended by the audacity of this person to take advantage of everyone's spending bonanza at the semester's start. You do not need these materials now. Again, save your money and use it for a nice dinner or two to calm your nerves when **** starts to hit the fan.

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood second-year. See y'all soon!

Just want to say....I FINALLY HAVE INTERNET!!! WOOOOOT!! ...ok thats all...

USMLEWorld.com is better than Kaplan QBank anyway.

That's a tip for the second years for when you guys start your Step 1 prep.

Save for the stethoscope (a Cardiology III), the kit is not necessary. All the other doodads are available in the clinical exam rooms, but the kit is still pretty nice and is fully covered against any malfunctions for as long as you own it.

Personally though, I'd use the money to buy a very nice stethoscope, which at most will set you back $200.

Also, be wary of the Kaplan salesman, who at the beginning of the year will try to sell a $900+ package for STEP review materials. I was actually offended by the audacity of this person to take advantage of everyone's spending bonanza at the semester's start. You do not need these materials now. Again, save your money and use it for a nice dinner or two to calm your nerves when **** starts to hit the fan.

Are you sure its not mandatory? If the stethoscope is the main thing we need then I'd like to get a nice one of those right off the bat and save some money on all the other stuff until I actually need it (or just use the ones in the clinical exam rooms like you were talking about).

Are you sure its not mandatory? If the stethoscope is the main thing we need then I'd like to get a nice one of those right off the bat and save some money on all the other stuff until I actually need it (or just use the ones in the clinical exam rooms like you were talking about).

Unless things changed this year, it's definitely not mandatory. Throughout the year there will be many items you absolutely need, but this kit is not one of them.

Thanks for your advice!! This is in line with the rumors I've hear from some other students. What's the difference between a $75 and a $200 stethoscope?

Thanks for your advice!! This is in line with the rumors I've hear from some other students. What's the difference between a $75 and a $200 stethoscope?

Approximately $125 :D

The $200 stethoscope allows you to spend an extra $125 to still not be able to hear a heart murmur.

can anyone tell me what to wear on Monday? Do we have time in between the on campus and off campus social events to change?
thanks
OMG I cannot believe we start in like 28 hours OMG

The $200 stethoscope allows you to spend an extra $125 to still not be able to hear a heart murmur.
LOL - I can't wait to waste the money and not diagnose properly. Excellent.

can anyone tell me what to wear on Monday? Do we have time in between the on campus and off campus social events to change?
thanks
OMG I cannot believe we start in like 28 hours OMG

The orientation letters said to dress casual. I guess that means we can wear shorts/jeans and t-shirts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

The orientation letters said to dress casual. I guess that means we can wear shorts/jeans and t-shirts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

"Casual" in a medical school setting generally means slacks, shirts and ties. Keep in mind that you don't want to screw this first day up because you're going to see these guys/gals for the next 4 years.

"Casual" in a medical school setting generally means slacks, shirts and ties. Keep in mind that you don't want to screw this first day up because you're going to see these guys/gals for the next 4 years.

I completely agree with the aforementioned. Just be sure to stick a pair of jeans in the car, though, as a precaution. Again, you don't want to screw this day up.

Um, actually jeans and t-shirts are fine for orientation. And for class for that matter.

But clothing is never optional, no matter what the second years tell you. Just a tip.

Um, actually jeans and t-shirts are fine for orientation. And for class for that matter.

But clothing is never optional, no matter what the second years tell you. Just a tip.

Ya I wore jeans today I just posted that thing last night to see if I could get anyone to show up with a tie on today. I don't think it worked though. But for all you who are wondering about "semi-formal," it definitely means tuxedos :laugh:

I don't think you can become an in-state for tuition purposes if you moved to NY just for the purpose of education. You have to have moved there to find a job, or live with your elderly grandma, or something non-educational in nature.

Hey everyone I am accepted for the UB Class of 2012 and I am almost positive I will be attending there, anyways I have a few questions for those of you already in med school at UB. I have been starting to look for housing for next year already a little bit, and I see from the "Estimated Cost of Attendance" that we get about $620 a month in the budget for housing. Is this what you all recieved? If so, I am wondering how you all afford to live in places you have discussed like The Boulevard Towers and Emmerson Square Apartments as their monthly rents are well above this number? Are you able to take extra money from other parts of your budget such as Transportation if there is extra? Is it too soon for me to start looking for apartments, should I wait until I get my financial package? I want to live by myself in Amherst but so far I haven't had much success in finding a place within this small budget. I don't really want a roomate and I don't want to live in the city either because of safety. Any advice? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi Dancer1986,

I'm a second year at UB.
Half of my class lives in Amherst, the other half lives in downtown Buffalo next to hospitals where third year rotations are going to take place (including me). I live in a studio and pay $570 with all utilities included. I haven't had any problems with safety issues as you mentioned. I think people exaggerate about safety in downtown a lot.
Going back to your questions. The budget assumes that you'll spend a lot of money on transportation (both gas and insurance) and books. Your car insurance is going to be very cheap in Buffalo and you won't drive much (Boulevard Towers complex is located 5 minutes far from school). Most people live within a 5 mile range from school. You won't need to buy all books that are going to be recommended to you. Second years will tell what you need to buy. The budget for the textbooks is huge. Also, talk to people about Kaplan USMLE package the a representative will offer the class during the orientation week. It costs $1000. People have different opinions about it.
Lastly, some people come from middle class or upper class families where money is not an issue. They can afford to live in expensive places, like Boulevard Towers or Delaware Park Apartments....
I hope it helps.

Best of luck!

Misha

Hey everyone I am accepted for the UB Class of 2012 and I am almost positive I will be attending there, anyways I have a few questions for those of you already in med school at UB. I have been starting to look for housing for next year already a little bit, and I see from the "Estimated Cost of Attendance" that we get about $620 a month in the budget for housing. Is this what you all recieved? If so, I am wondering how you all afford to live in places you have discussed like The Boulevard Towers and Emmerson Square Apartments as their monthly rents are well above this number? Are you able to take extra money from other parts of your budget such as Transportation if there is extra? Is it too soon for me to start looking for apartments, should I wait until I get my financial package? I want to live by myself in Amherst but so far I haven't had much success in finding a place within this small budget. I don't really want a roomate and I don't want to live in the city either because of safety. Any advice? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Does anyone have any experience or know about the University Court Apartments right on Main St. accross from South Campus? How is it? How are the noise, parking, and laundry situations there? Is it a safe place to live? Would it be safe for a girl to walk to classes from there alone? The rent seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for your help!