SUNY Buffalo 2011:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else? yay so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

good luck girlsporty:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends if UNC accepts me. But I can just see myself attending Buffalo.

just bumping:)

hey guys,
just saying hi. just found out i got into UB.
:)
right now it's my top choice.

Hey folks.

I'm a current second year at UB, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'll try to remember to log into SDN and check this thread somewhat regularly ;).

Hey folks.

I'm a current second year at UB, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'll try to remember to log into SDN and check this thread somewhat regularly ;).

just got the acceptance letter, maybe i will see you guys there next year!

I will be attending UB this fall. Any one from Tri-borough area?

hey future UBers just wanted to bum p up:)
is anyone on facebook?

I will be attending UB this fall. Any one from Tri-borough area?

Hey, current UB student here...and from the tri-borough area. Shoot away if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww...I remember meeting people on this thread last year as they got off the waitlist!

Current first year, here, and I think I'll be helping to plan a "second look" day for those of you with a couple acceptances who are undecided about where to go.

Aww...I remember meeting people on this thread last year as they got off the waitlist!

Current first year, here, and I think I'll be helping to plan a "second look" day for those of you with a couple acceptances who are undecided about where to go.

Hey Swine lake. I was wondering if you knew anything about what they are looking for in the scholarship essays. They were pretty open ended (the form I got) and it just asked about financial hardships (which im sure i have, lol:) and didn't ask for much more. Could you offer some advice about this?
thanks so much!

Hey Swine lake. I was wondering if you knew anything about what they are looking for in the scholarship essays. They were pretty open ended (the form I got) and it just asked about financial hardships (which im sure i have, lol:) and didn't ask for much more. Could you offer some advice about this?
thanks so much!

Yea, they are pretty vague about that, aren't they?
This is for all of you incoming first years -- apply for the scholarships, even if you think your parents makes too much money, blah, blah...at second look day last year (which was at the end of April), they basically begged people to apply because only a handful of people had submitted stuff. A lot of people have some amount of money from the school.
That being said, I have no idea exactly what they're looking for, but I can at least tell you what I wrote about! I wrote about how my parents were both very much working-class people but never pushed for me to have a job while I was in school. I wrote about how I had thought about applying MD/PhD which is a very smart move financially, money was not a good enough reason to sign up for something I wasn't completely sure I wanted to do. I talked about how, sure, medicine is in the long run a stable career choice, but if I were going into it for the money and nice lifestyle, I'd be gunning for a residency in anesthesiology or something when I actually would like to be in academia. Basically, I've never done anything just for the money, and so far that's worked out just fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have some help along the way!
Good luck :)

Yea, they are pretty vague about that, aren't they?
This is for all of you incoming first years -- apply for the scholarships, even if you think your parents makes too much money, blah, blah...at second look day last year (which was at the end of April), they basically begged people to apply because only a handful of people had submitted stuff. A lot of people have some amount of money from the school.
That being said, I have no idea exactly what they're looking for, but I can at least tell you what I wrote about! I wrote about how my parents were both very much working-class people but never pushed for me to have a job while I was in school. I wrote about how I had thought about applying MD/PhD which is a very smart move financially, money was not a good enough reason to sign up for something I wasn't completely sure I wanted to do. I talked about how, sure, medicine is in the long run a stable career choice, but if I were going into it for the money and nice lifestyle, I'd be gunning for a residency in anesthesiology or something when I actually would like to be in academia. Basically, I've never done anything just for the money, and so far that's worked out just fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have some help along the way!
Good luck :)

I love your Snoopy Sabre:) way too cute.

I love your Snoopy Sabre:) way too cute.

#1 in the Eastern Conference :)

Anyone of you who got accepted have or will get a letter about Second Look Day, which I'm helping to plan. We give you breakfast, lunch, and have professors and students we like try to sell the school. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, if any of you are going to come the day before and be in Buffalo Friday night, perhaps we can organize a social outing. Perhaps there will be a Sabres playoff game that night. Nothing like watching hockey in a Buffalo bar to give you a taste of what this city is like :)

#1 in the Eastern Conference :)

Anyone of you who got accepted have or will get a letter about Second Look Day, which I'm helping to plan. We give you breakfast, lunch, and have professors and students we like try to sell the school. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, if any of you are going to come the day before and be in Buffalo Friday night, perhaps we can organize a social outing. Perhaps there will be a Sabres playoff game that night. Nothing like watching hockey in a Buffalo bar to give you a taste of what this city is like :)

Hey thanks:) I got the info two days ago. I am in Buffalo, so count me in. Good luck with the planning.
ps we have to keep hoping for New Jersey losses;)

GO PENGUINS!

Muahahaahhaaaa

Hey thanks:) I got the info two days ago. I am in Buffalo, so count me in. Good luck with the planning.
ps we have to keep hoping for New Jersey losses;)

I got my acceptance letter the other day and breezed through everything in there, but I don't remember seeing anything about second look... Did you get it separately from the acceptance letter? all i see is something about a housing weekend "sometime in June."

A 2nd year student that ate lunch with us during the interview day told me she was from out of state originally and after her first year (after getting NY residency) she was able to switch to paying in-state tuition. Because the OOS tuition is almost 2X as much and I'm trying to minimize how much I have to spend, I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?

Also, to you current students... How much do you pay for rent around the school, and do you recommend on- or off-campus housing for first year students?

A 2nd year student that ate lunch with us during the interview day told me she was from out of state originally and after her first year (after getting NY residency) she was able to switch to paying in-state tuition. Because the OOS tuition is almost 2X as much and I'm trying to minimize how much I have to spend, I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?

Also, to you current students... How much do you pay for rent around the school, and do you recommend on- or off-campus housing for first year students?

Hey there
I got the second look letter way after the acceptance letter. You could send them an email and ask about it.
I am in state, but I have also heard that you can get in state tuition after the first year (and the tuition here is amazing compared to private schools that I looked at:).
As for housing, I am from Buffalo so I can provide you some insight there. It is pretty cheap to live around here compared to most places. With that said, local landlords know this (and know that many a NYC/LI students are used to paying a ton more) so in effect they tend to overprice by far what they are paying for in mortgage. Anyways, you can find some pretty sweet deals with 650 or so a month including heat, for a single appartment. I highly suggest that over on campus housing. It is like 700+ per person, and you usually share with at least one other. So it comes out to like 1400 or so which is a rip off IMO when you can live alone off campus (or with a roomate with even lower rent, ie 300 a month).

Hmmm...the Second Look letter was mailed out separately to everyone accepted before last Monday, I think. For the recent acceptances, it should have been in your packet with everything else. E-mail Debbie Stamm in OME (or just PM me to RSVP or with Qs!)
As far as rent goes, the people who live alone in buildings pay around $600, everything (heat, electricity) included. I live in half a house with a roommate. We pay utilities, cable (of course, I have very, very basic cable), and internet. I'm spending $500-550 right now (damn winter gas bills), but until October I spent about $400 a month on everything. I live in one of the best neighborhoods in the city (as far as things to do in walking distance), and my land lord includes use of the driveway and a garage spot.
There are a handful (5?) of people living in UB housing, but the problems with that are (1) they're on North Campus (i.e. a 10 minute drive from the med school), and (2) there is no housing reserved just for grad students (and I wouldn't want to share a building with undergrads).
Yes, housing "weekend" is in June (near the end, it was a Thursday-Friday last year). I actually met my roommate at Second Look day. Some of people will have started looking at places and have found roommates using the e-mail list serve that will be set up by then. I signed my lease mid-June and moved in July 1. Most people moved in Aug 1, and then orientation started on a Monday, August 7, I think (orientation is awesome).

i responded to the letter about the second look day with an email to the person mentioned in the letter, and i got no response. Does that mean i can still attend or are spaces limited?

i responded to the letter about the second look day with an email to the person mentioned in the letter, and i got no response. Does that mean i can still attend or are spaces limited?
I would assume you're all set. If you asked to stay with a current student, those arrangements are still being worked out.
Last time I talked to the person who the RSVPs are going to, she had gotten about 20 replies. About 30 showed up last year; we cap it at 50.
I'm finalizing the schedule by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, and I hope you get something out of it!

I would assume you're all set. If you asked to stay with a current student, those arrangements are still being worked out.
Last time I talked to the person who the RSVPs are going to, she had gotten about 20 replies. About 30 showed up last year; we cap it at 50.
I'm finalizing the schedule by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, and I hope you get something out of it!

Hi Swinelake, I'm not gonna be able to make it to 2nd Look but I was wondering how most out-of-staters go about finding roommates and such. Does it happen at that Housing Day which was mentioned in the follow up packet with a bunch of forms? Or are there some other resources available for far away ppl (im out in cali).

I was also wondering if it's typical for out-of-staters to be able to switch to in-state tuition after a year or so...forgive me for the ignorance but i thought that i'd be paying the extra tuition all four years.

Thanks!!!

Hi Swinelake, I'm not gonna be able to make it to 2nd Look but I was wondering how most out-of-staters go about finding roommates and such. Does it happen at that Housing Day which was mentioned in the follow up packet with a bunch of forms? Or are there some other resources available for far away ppl (im out in cali).

I was also wondering if it's typical for out-of-staters to be able to switch to in-state tuition after a year or so...forgive me for the ignorance but i thought that i'd be paying the extra tuition all four years.

Thanks!!!
I'm in awe of the number of Californians that end up in Buffalo. I can think of 5 off the top of my head in my class. At the end of April/beginning of May, they'll set up an e-mail list serve for your class, and a lot of people (West Coast-ers or not) find roommates that way. A lot of people find roommate Housing Weekend, too. You my also get e-mails on the list serve from second and third years who have a place, lost a roommate, and are looking for someone else to move in. I was actually surprised by the number of people who ended up living alone. I don't know if that was because they didn't put in the effort to find someone to live with, or if they wanted to enjoy that fact that cost-of-living in Buffalo is so reasonable, you can get by OK handling all the costs yourself!
As far as the residency goes, I'm pretty sure it's not hard to get in-state tuitions once you've been here a year. You can get in touch with someone at the Student Response Center, or if you e-mail Debbie Stamm ([email protected]), I'm sure she can point you in the right direction for the details. I think the in-state tuition after on year is one of the things that draws people across the country!
Good luck!

hi everyone,
I got accepted to Buffalo also, but in Dental school. somebody made us a facebook group, so if you're on facebook, JOIN!

http://ucla.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2232251569

I'm very concern about finding a roomate as well. As you can probably see from my info, I'm from California as well, and finding a place to live and a roomate all on one trip is going to be pretty hard. I was wondering what you guys are going to do with the roomate/ housing situation?

PM me if you are looking for a roomate

Thanks!!!

I was a PA resident my first year; it's VERY easy to switch to NY residency. You just need to get a NY driver's license, have a copy of your lease, register to vote in NY state, and pay NY state taxes. And then you show all that to the financial aid office. All of that can be done by the end of your first year, so I think just about everyone who's out of state becomes in-state after one year.

Thanks for the info!!!

Hey there
I am an in stater and Buffalo native, but I still may be looking for a roomate. Hopefully when we get that class listserve up people can start communicating about such things. I havent decided if I should live alone, or share. I think sharing is good bc it is cheaper, and a good chance to meet people; but I am also very quiet at home and have had problems with roomates in the past (but then again this was a business major who felt the need to throw parties every night when I had to wake up for nursing clinicals at 6am, yippie:) I suppose living with a fellow med student may change things.

By any chance did you guys get an e-mail reminder about Second Look? I wrote one that we asked Mr. Rosso to send out to you guys, but I'm not sure if it actually happened...we decided to extend the RSVP deadline until Monday!
I told the rest of the committee that some people got lost in the shuffle and didn't get the invite letters (hence the e-mail reminder). Yea for the internet and SDN :p

I hope we have nice weather for you guys next week. It was almost 60 on Monday, but we've had snow for the past 2 days (if you don't like the weathe rin Buffalo, wait 15 minutes)...

By any chance did you guys get an e-mail reminder about Second Look? I wrote one that we asked Mr. Rosso to send out to you guys, but I'm not sure if it actually happened...we decided to extend the RSVP deadline until Monday!
I told the rest of the committee that some people got lost in the shuffle and didn't get the invite letters (hence the e-mail reminder). Yea for the internet and SDN :p

I hope we have nice weather for you guys next week. It was almost 60 on Monday, but we've had snow for the past 2 days (if you don't like the weathe rin Buffalo, wait 15 minutes)...

Ya I got three e-mails about it today actually :)

Does anyone know if UB will be offering a preparatory summer course in biochemistry before classes start in August? I know alot of schools offer some type of 2-3 week summer course to get students ready for the first and second semester and I always hear great feedback about the usefulness of these courses. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Does anyone know if UB will be offering a preparatory summer course in biochemistry before classes start in August? I know alot of schools offer some type of 2-3 week summer course to get students ready for the first and second semester and I always hear great feedback about the usefulness of these courses. Thanks in advance for any replies!

I haven't heard anything about this, maybe one of the current med students know??

1) I don't know of any courses offered
2) My advice -- have FUN the summer before med school! Work, do some research, whatever for money or to keep your mind fresh but don't bother trying to study...you won't really know what you signed up for until you start, everyone is in the same boat, and you'll get through it with your class!

does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for UB School of Medicine c/o 2011?

Hey Guys,

So I had some spare time and made a group...not the most inventive name, but I figure we had to get a group lol...search for

SUNY BUFFALO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE CLASS OF 2011

And join!

Hey Guys,

So I had some spare time and made a group...not the most inventive name, but I figure we had to get a group lol...search for

SUNY BUFFALO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE CLASS OF 2011

And join!

ok so I joined, and told someone else to join as well:)
it's about time we got a group, we were slacking behind the other 2011 classes:)

I read on the website that housing applications started in January - would we still be competitive for the on-campus apartments?

:D anyone know?

I read on the website that housing applications started in January - would we still be competitive for the on-campus apartments?

:D anyone know?
Totally possible. Call the office! I got housing my first year in Buffalo in July.

Does anyone have the website for the bookstore? i'd like to get a gift for someone. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to UB today. I'm pretty excited! Still, I'm torn over attending UB or attending Boston U. I accepted BU already but I am now waiting for the UB acceptance package.

Anyway, assuming I attend UB this fall, I was wondering whether people got housing already and whether we need a car our first year.