SUNY Buffalo 2011:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Orientation begins Monday August 6th
Your first class is at 8 am on Thursday August 9th.

Not sure when your first test is exactly, but your first course is epidemiology (medicine and society) and usually lasts about a week and a half, with a final at the end.

OMG!! THAT SOON!! AHHHHHHH

Members don't see this ad.

OMG!! THAT SOON!! AHHHHHHH

oops! i just realized all those dates are wrong...must be last years schedule (thanks munchkin).

but according to the orientation packet--yep--the first class is 8/9 at 8 am.

mm...My cousin lived in peppertree before, so i've seen her apartment. And all the other apartments looks the same from what i've heard. I have not seen my actual apartment. I hope its not that bad...

I'm sure it'll be fine :)... if your cousin lives there then I'm sure you're good to go anyway... I just happened to get one that was in atrocious condition and a second-year told me that I should check it out before I moved in so I just thought I'd pass on the advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
You fill out FASFA online first. The school decided loan amount (like subs vs unsubs, etc) then they send you an award letter. I've taken out wayyy too many loans:)

Thanks! I just spoke with financial aid today actually... and that's exactly what they told me.. joy joy... thanks!

I'm sure it'll be fine :)... if your cousin lives there then I'm sure you're good to go anyway... I just happened to get one that was in atrocious condition and a second-year told me that I should check it out before I moved in so I just thought I'd pass on the advice...

What was wrong with the apartment? do you remember which apt they were going to give you??

hi munchy, long time no talk...shopping buddy!!! :D

did you get your packet yet? i just received mine yesterday

Hey HreComesTheSun!! I received mine yesterday too!! Theres gonna be a semi formal during orientation, shopping?? *wink wink**..hahaha..

Hey HreComesTheSun!! I received mine yesterday too!! Theres gonna be a semi formal during orientation, shopping?? *wink wink**..hahaha..

a VERY awesome semiformal actually. The orientation committee went a bit overboard this year...but hey, you guys deserve it right? :)

a VERY awesome semiformal actually. The orientation committee went a bit overboard this year...but hey, you guys deserve it right? :)

I can't wait!

I am having trouble deciding what my white coat size is....

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

I can't wait!

I am having trouble deciding what my white coat size is....

were you in OME today by any chance? I ran into a someone with their mom figuring out white coat sizes... seriously, don't worry... they'll be too big no matter what and everyone will dorky no matter what...

oops! i just realized all those dates are wrong...must be last years schedule (thanks munchkin).

Actually I think the dates are the same, no? My orientation packet said 8/6 also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha... I live there and I just renewed my lease actually about 5 minutes ago... I looked and looked and looked for a place downtown and honestly, if you want a roomie, there are TONS of great places... but if you are roomie-less, then the 1-BR places downtown, in my opinion, are kinda sucky... the ones I have liked have been 2BR places that cost about the same as the ones in Amherst so I just fall prey to waking up at 7:40 and being on time to classes at 8am
Heh, I actually managed to find a pretty nice looking 1-bedroom. Not quite as new and shiny as Emerson Square definitely is, but it's still very new and clean and actually quite a bit bigger.

Assuming my application went through OK, I should be on the 8th floor of one of the apartment buildings near Millard Fillmore.

All the people with access to BBQ tables need to invite me to barbeques though, I love my barbeques (seriously that's the one sad thing about being from NYC and having lived in apartments all my life).

Actually I think the dates are the same, no? My orientation packet said 8/6 also.
edit: oh I see you meant the other dates you posted before were wrong heh.

wait, does this have anything to do with the surprise you guys were talking about???

were you in OME today by any chance? I ran into a someone with their mom figuring out white coat sizes... seriously, don't worry... they'll be too big no matter what and everyone will dorky no matter what...

how big do you suggest someone a size 4-6 (depending on brand:) I'm so confused. My lab coat that I wear now is huge. How big are we talking?

Heh, I actually managed to find a pretty nice looking 1-bedroom. Not quite as new and shiny as Emerson Square definitely is, but it's still very new and clean and actually quite a bit bigger.

Assuming my application went through OK, I should be on the 8th floor of one of the apartment buildings near Millard Fillmore.

All the people with access to BBQ tables need to invite me to barbeques though, I love my barbeques (seriously that's the one sad thing about being from NYC and having lived in apartments all my life).
Cirrus, get me off the waitling list and you can BBQ on my porch! :laugh:

how big do you suggest someone a size 4-6 (depending on brand:) I'm so confused. My lab coat that I wear now is huge. How big are we talking?

noeljan, i'm a 0-2, and the white coat size that fit me was 28, so i ordered a 30...hope this helps

Hey guys (and gals), so I've pretty much decided on getting a Palm TX for my PDA but I want to buy a new computer. I really want to get a Powerbook and I remember the school supporting Mac's, but would a tablet pc be useful at all? Do students get lecture notes or powerpoints?

You get hardcopies of all the lecture notes.

ie GET A POWERBOOK (or Macbook or whatever)!!! :)

Wuh-oh...
Apparently I got a call from the admissions office and I didn't realize it (it was on my voicemail and my phone ran out of power). Seems like there's something I need to clear up about my pre-reqs...

Well, I do have all my pre-reqs so...hopefully it's just because my undergrad did the English stuff kinda confusingly, or that my physics is under transfer credits. If not, then I'm going to go jump off something tall :laugh:

Going to call them first thing tommorrow morning.

Wuh-oh...
Apparently I got a call from the admissions office and I didn't realize it (it was on my voicemail and my phone ran out of power). Seems like there's something I need to clear up about my pre-reqs...

Well, I do have all my pre-reqs so...hopefully it's just because my undergrad did the English stuff kinda confusingly, or that my physics is under transfer credits. If not, then I'm going to go jump off something tall :laugh:

Going to call them first thing tommorrow morning.

yeah cirrus, it won't be a big deal, they called me too...you just have to clarify which classes count as the english pre-req

Heck I'm more excited for your orientation week than I was for my own. Maybe it's because I know/like the OC, and this time I get to be on the "giving" end if things :cool:

Heck I'm more excited for your orientation week than I was for my own. Maybe it's because I know/like the OC, and this time I get to be on the "giving" end if things :cool:

:) I can't wait:)

I thought they just asked what your normal dress/jacket size was and ordered it for you...?

Noeljan, mine is an XS and even that is still big on me. You'd be an XS, too. What really matters is the abundance of pockets it has to shove stuff in which weigh the coat down anyway :cool:

I thought they just asked what your normal dress/jacket size was and ordered it for you...?

Noeljan, mine is an XS and even that is still big on me. You'd be an XS, too. What really matters is the abundance of pockets it has to shove stuff in which weigh the coat down anyway :cool:

they asked us for numerical sizes...does that mean we should have just put down 0?

Nope that wasn't me. I haven't been in Buffalo since my interview..hehe

lol, i put down size 2, but in parentheses i put that i was 30 coat size (from white coat sizes at our bookstore here)

OooOoo...ok...that makes me feel better now. haha

oh, do you guys know if we need to be there in person to get an ID Card?

hey-- did i misread?

what is the "casual" semi-formal event? anyone else starting to wonder how to dress for this orientation event? i feel like a high-schooler wanting to know what everyone is wearing....sort of a fun distractor for the moment

hey-- did i misread?

what is the "casual" semi-formal event? anyone else starting to wonder how to dress for this orientation event? i feel like a high-schooler wanting to know what everyone is wearing....sort of a fun distractor for the moment

girls -- short dress

guys -- shirt and tie

Not exactly the kind of even you'd have to go out shopping for...unless you've been looking for an excuse to buy a new halter dress or something :p

girls -- short dress

guys -- shirt and tie

Not exactly the kind of even you'd have to go out shopping for...unless you've been looking for an excuse to buy a new halter dress or something :p

Do we have to bring a date to this formal?
Formals and big sibs, reminds me of my sorority all over again;)

One more question,
if I am understanding this correctly, we have a preceptor and start clinical type stuff right away? Do we get to do a lot, or is it like shadowing?
thanks a lot:)

You don't need to bring a date, it's not really a formal. More of a sorta-dressed-up get-together.

It depends on your preceptor. During my first year my preceptorship was mostly glorified shadowing with some history-taking and minimal physical exam stuff thrown in. But given that even by the end of your first year you still have no idea what most of the physical exam (or history for that matter) really means, that's not such a bad thing.

I do know that some of my classmates were given a lot more independence than I was.

For second year your preceptors are in the hospitals and most of them let you do a lot more, I found the second year preceptorship really useful and learned a ton. First year I was mostly just getting used to the idea of asking patients questions, or even just being in a room with a patient.

Your first half of CPM (clinical class) is history taking, while the second half of first year is performing a basic physical exam. However, you will pretty much spend the entire year working on taking a history.

For most preceptors (everyone is different), you'll start off basically just shadowing. By the end of the year, you'll be seeing almost every patient before the doc and spending 5-10 minutes getting a full history. Depending on your preceptor, you may have some independent physical exam stuff thrown in...usually what you're comfortable with, or whatever your preceptor is comfortable with you doing.

Basically, from what i've seen this year, most of us are pretty horrible at doing physical exams but can take a decent history.

Do we have to bring a date to this formal?
Formals and big sibs, reminds me of my sorority all over again;)

Dates are completely unnecessary, and unless you're in a very serious relationship, are somewhat discouraged for this event. The orientation 'semiformal' is really for you guys to get to know each other, and honestly, if you have a date you're gonna be spending more time with that person than you are with the rest of the class.

There will be a limited number of 'guest' tickets...however they'll not only be for your guests, but also med students from other years that want to go.

Gasp, how are we not on the first page anymore? =(

Is anyone going to be living in a studio or cheap 1-bedroom next year? If so, how much and what apartment building (link please?). Also, do you think its possible to lease a place without actually going to see it in person? I'm going to have about a 1-week window of time to find and secure an apartment for next year because of being out of town and some other circumstances, so I'm hoping I'll be able to do everything via fax/internet/phone..

Is anyone going to be living in a studio or cheap 1-bedroom next year? If so, how much and what apartment building (link please?). Also, do you think its possible to lease a place without actually going to see it in person? I'm going to have about a 1-week window of time to find and secure an apartment for next year because of being out of town and some other circumstances, so I'm hoping I'll be able to do everything via fax/internet/phone..

I sent u a facebook message:)

one more question (with more to follow I assume :) ) - I never made a copy of the orientation registration sheet before I sent it in... Does anyone know who we could contact to confirm that it was received? I remember I sent it to SUB-BOARD-1, but I don't remember if there was an email or phone number we could contact to make sure

so elmwood is a good one? or are there parts of elmwood to avoid

so elmwood is a good one? or are there parts of elmwood to avoid

Well, do don't really want to be actually on Elmwood Avenue per se (great people watching, but it gets a little noisey). We made a list somewhere in this thread about the good side streets...Auburn, Lancaster, Cleveland, Lexington, etc. If you look at a map, I'd say stick to streets North of Allen, South of Forest, and either between Elmwood and Richmond or Elmwood and Linwood/Franklin. Cafe Aroma, Spot coffee, and Children's Hospital are examples of good landmarks to be around.

Well, do don't really want to be actually on Elmwood Avenue per se (great people watching, but it gets a little noisey). We made a list somewhere in this thread about the good side streets...Auburn, Lancaster, Cleveland, Lexington, etc. If you look at a map, I'd say stick to streets North of Allen, South of Forest, and either between Elmwood and Richmond or Elmwood and Linwood/Franklin. Cafe Aroma, Spot coffee, and Children's Hospital are examples of good landmarks to be around.

Yeah I'm down the block from Children's Hospital, towards Millard Fillmore. OK, it's a REALLY long block.

Heh if I get to rotate at Children's or Fillmore that'll be an easy commute :laugh:

Yeah I'm down the block from Children's Hospital, towards Millard Fillmore. OK, it's a REALLY long block.

Heh if I get to rotate at Children's or Fillmore that'll be an easy commute :laugh:

I am literally about 6 houses down from the ER entrance to childrens (like a 20 second walk.) I am PRAYING for a 12 week rotation there in the dead of winter so I never have to waste time/money driving in the snow :cool:

I am literally about 6 houses down from the ER entrance to childrens (like a 20 second walk.) I am PRAYING for a 12 week rotation there in the dead of winter so I never have to waste time/money driving in the snow :cool:

Anyone live at or know someone that lives at The Westbrook? If so, what do you/they think about it.