Summer after graduation

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am going to sign up for two summer sessions next summer. I will be starting college the week right after HS graduation.

I know this has been asked multiple times but I do not think we ever got a straight answer.

Since I will actually be starting college, should I start volunteer and stuff even though I will hopefully be heading to OSU during that same winter?

Also, should I include whatever I do that summer if it is medical school related?

Basically, the question has been "Should I include x and y...blah blah blah."

I'm actually STARTING in the summer. Not just doing volunteer work and stuff.

Is everything basically fair game after graduation.

And I'm serious about the summer semester. It is like a week or two right after I graduate in June 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

Summer semesters are more intense than regular semesters, sometimes far more so. You're effectively fitting several months worth of work into about one month usually.

I'd work on just successfully assimilating into the college environment. Worry about volunteering once you're sure you can stay afloat.

So.

Hmm

Should I maybe consider just taking classes and getting used to doing more than just one or two (dual enrollment) classes? Then once I adjust to it I can go ahead and volunteer in September when the fall sem. starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its summer, I would try to have some fun and focus on those classes. Do some light volunteering if you want, its good to start early and most programs aren't very demanding.

I would also try to have some fun and focus on those classes.

And dude, Jeff, u going to University of Oxford? That's in UK man.

Sounds like a plan. :thumbup:

... have you not enrolled yet? It's already waay past deadline at my school, especially for Early Scholars.

Dearie, he said next summer.

Again, I triumph. You'll just never win.

Yes NEXT summer I will be an actual full time college student.

This summer I am going to do dual enrollment and carry that through next june, switch CC's and then start taking real classes there and through the fall.

I will be applying sometime in the middle of senior year.

Gah, I'm really slow this morning.

I think I'll just go back to bed before I embarrass myself somemore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Noooooo! Go back and check out our new group. Or some thread in > Facebook. I won't make fun of you there.

Haha, there's only so much humiliation a girl can take Tib. But I'll stay a little longer, just for you.

So I can include stuff literally right after HS graduation right?

Just for clarification, I would prefer if a mod or someone answers me instead of you guys.

It seems pretty obvious that I can, I just want to make sure.

If I shadow/volunteer, should I include that as well?

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Oh, right. For on-topicness: Summer classes suck mashed potatoes. They're usually four days a week, for 2-5 hours a day, depending on the credits, and they go really fast. I wouldn't take anything challenging over the summer.

Mine is not only 5 days a week, I also have a lovely 4 day a week lab on top of it. So it's like 4 hours a day of Chemistry. It will massively suck.

So I can include stuff literally right after HS graduation right?

Just for clarification, I would prefer if a mod or someone answers me instead of you guys.

It seems pretty obvious that I can, I just want to make sure.

If I shadow/volunteer, should I include that as well?

Ask your guidance counselor. The mods don't know your personal schools' policies any more than we do.

CScull, I hear you. My friend too micro over the summer, and she was up there four hours a day, four days a week, just for that class, and that had a test every week. That's insane. I'd do a humanities class or something, nothing with a lab...

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Oh, right. For on-topicness: Summer classes suck mashed potatoes. They're usually four days a week, for 2-5 hours a day, depending on the credits, and they go really fast. I wouldn't take anything challenging over the summer.

I'm planning to take Intro Bio and Intro Psych

I'd drop bio, personally. It wasn't a difficult class (and I took the honors version), but it's a lot of time and I personally like to use the summers to make money and to get a break from school. But hey, it's your summer.

Microeconomics? Dang.

I'm not even attempting that at UNA, I have a friend who's pretty smart and who's mom works in Admissions and Registrar and all that, and therefore probably had the easiest teacher in the school, (insert comment about annoying admissions officer's childern here) and she got a C. I do not like Cs, therefore I will take it at the high school.

No, microbiology.

Although anything with economics in it, I would not want to take.

Oooh, ouch. I would prefer Microbiology though... ick. I've heard that my prof keeps a lot of his old tests, so I'll be spending much time in the UNA library... speaking of, I should go check that out today and finally get my Mane Card and all that... oh I have soo much crap to do...

Microeconomics? Dang.

I'm not even attempting that at UNA, I have a friend who's pretty smart and who's mom works in Admissions and Registrar and all that, and therefore probably had the easiest teacher in the school, (insert comment about annoying admissions officer's childern here) and she got a C. I do not like Cs, therefore I will take it at the high school.

The AP version is a joke.

Shoulda taken that.

But if I drop Bio, what should I add instead?

Ooo! How exciting!

I got my Big Book of Forms from my college the other day. Spent this morning filling them out--I swear to god, I could kill my parents for giving me three middle names. Do you know how many times I had to write out all fives names?

Take a gym class. Those are always fun! My college offers Quidditch...

HAHA, five names? Tehehe, you're like Dumbledore!

My college will offer Water Tubing Polo. When I go there. In the way to distant future. But we don't get counted for gym class on our HS resume, and I don't need it and I don't feel like taking it here and then having the credit not transfer when I could just utilize UNA's gym instead...

Take a gym class. Those are always fun! My college offers Quidditch...

No.

Seriously, should I keep it or not, and if not, what other class should I take. Chem? Physics?

Humanities?

English?

Take something easy with low credit hours. Not sciences. Not maths.

Yes, five names. My initials are MEJMR. It's ridiculous.

Water Tubing Polo! Holy crap! That's awesome! Almost as awesome as Quidditch. I think I'd like to take a yoga class or something, though, even though I'm not very bendable.

Like what?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this time

I am CES.

Lol, yes I am very excited about it... yoga and I would not go very well together, I would get all competative and start pushing people over because I wanted to win.

I'm sure you're capable of figuring out which class you want to take.

Uber-competitive CScull, oh no! Hm... How about a dancing class? I always thought that would be fun, too.

Dude, dancing? It's like yoga but even easier to kick someone in the face!

Oooh, now that I could totally kick butt at. I love rock climbing!

You wouldn't cut other peoples' lines just so you could get to the top first? :D

Psh. As If I need to?

It would never have to come to that.

Yeah, I'll stick with Bio 1 and Intro Psych.

*tilts head*

I think that would be a massively bad idea. But if that's what you really want to do...

*tilts head*

I think that would be a massively bad idea. But if that's what you really want to do...

I'm literally doing nothing else this summer. Why not take a class that actually means something?

Because it'll be your first college class ever... and it'll be in a very difficult, very condensed version. It's like college on crack.

Will I still learn everything I am supposed to learn though?

Of course. They can't teach a course that excludes half the information that you're supposed to learn, that'd be stupid. We're just saying that it isn't fun.

CScull just give it up.

Very not fun.

He unjoined.

It is a sad, sad day.

I honestly don't understand why you don't just follow the path 99% of people do. Stop thinking so far ahead. Graduate from HS. Go to CC. Transfer to 4 year. Do regular classes.

I'm not really in that big of a hurry, I just want to take classes and get some credit.

What is the big deal?

Sweet mother of Jesus Jeff , I swear I could be so blunt with you right now but I don't wanna be mean or anything so I'll go beyond what i normally am and remain tactful ... I don't understand why you ask for advice but then go to what you originally said you were going to do . :confused: It boggles my mind.

They are right though , don't take classes that are too much and require so much . By the time Fall rolls around you'll be ready to jump off the nearest cliff above a rocky water area . It's best to relax during the summer taking some laid back classes . You'll be fine and you will still build up credits . But like Scull and Tib said no sciences , no maths , not a good idea for the summer terms . Also summer terms are accelerated , it's insane and I am only doing two classes that's the least amount of work . I won't even touch what i will have to do for the Fall.....:eek: