Summer Activities

judeanton

Reaction score
I'm going into my Junior year of High School, and I'm very interested in cardiology. What should I do over this Summer to help prepare myself?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing you do in high school will prepare you to be a cardiologist or even a med student. Focus on getting into a good college (good college = lots of opportunities and cheap out of pocket cost) and enjoying life.

Everyone’s been there. I read SDN more in high school than I did throughout all of undergrad, but trust me, the best thing you can do is the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice, I Just applied to be a Junior EMT, and have been volunteering at my local hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, I Just applied to be a Junior EMT, and have been volunteering at my local hospital.

I was an EMT in undergrad, if you can try to find a company that does Medic/Basic trucks. Much more complete experience than Basic/Basic.

Get shadowing time with physicians and/or in the ED. I would recommend your shadowing is not only limited to cardiology. Not sure how much it will boost med school apps at this stage but it will give you some more insight regarding the work life of the field and will also leave doors open for shadowing hours during undergrad which is very important on Med school applications. I agree EMT is a great experience and CV booster as well, but I still recommend shadow time because the perspective is quite different.

Thanks for the advice, I'd definitely love to do shadowing, and I'm trying to find some opportunities now. Do you have any advice on how to find some opportunities?