High Schooler Internships Summer 2019

doctadank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current sophomore in high school, and I want to get experience in a hospital under a doctor in the form of an internship (most likely unpaid) what should I do next school year and this summer to be accepted into such programs? Also does anyone know any of these programs or hospitals willing to accept high school interns, preferrably nearby?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm in Year 12 (equivalent of a junior) in the UK. Most hospitals won't accept high school interns, as "interns" in medicine are most often qualified doctors who have finished medical training and are in their first year of residency. You might want to consider asking a hospital doctor if you could shadow them for a few weeks, or even better, go and apply for volunteering at your local hospital. That's what we discuss at my school's medical society. Other than that, just focus on getting good grades, that's what medical schools look at.

I'm in Year 12 (equivalent of a junior) in the UK. Most hospitals won't accept high school interns, as "interns" in medicine are most often qualified doctors who have finished medical training and are in their first year of residency. You might want to consider asking a hospital doctor if you could shadow them for a few weeks, or even better, go and apply for volunteering at your local hospital. That's what we discuss at my school's medical society. Other than that, just focus on getting good grades, that's what medical schools look at.
Yeah, that's the problem.

If you are open to unpaid internship, then you could consider volunteering. Keep in mind hospital volunteering is mostly helping with tasks around the hospital, but you could ask a coordinator if you could shadow a physician on days you are NOT volunteering for experience (and see if the field is right for you / get experience). There are more opportunities for pre-med undergraduates including some paid summer programs.