Stupid Questions/FAQ Thread 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the AADSAS Instruction Booklet:
AADSAS calculates your GPA and reports it in a number of ways:
• BCP GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry and Physics
are used in computing this GPA.
• Science GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
Math and Other Science is used in computing this GPA.
• Non-science GPA: All undergraduate courses not used in calculating the Science GPA are used to
compute this GPA

--------------------------

okay so intro to Psychology counts as science GPA right ?

i also took this course called, HSC 4504 Public Health Immunology and its one of the required courses for Biomedical science degree. is it also in science GPA ?

what about nutrition online course ?

im trying to raise my science gpa up

There is a PDF (see attached) on AADSAS listing examples of courses in each category. For example, psychology is non-science but nutrition is other science.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 001_2011 ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
psych being non-science is disappointing. UF requires it :rolleyes:

From the AADSAS Instruction Booklet:
AADSAS calculates your GPA and reports it in a number of ways:
• BCP GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry and Physics
are used in computing this GPA.
• Science GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
Math and Other Science is used in computing this GPA.
• Non-science GPA: All undergraduate courses not used in calculating the Science GPA are used to
compute this GPA

--------------------------

okay so intro to Psychology counts as science GPA right ?

i also took this course called, HSC 4504 Public Health Immunology and its one of the required courses for Biomedical science degree. is it also in science GPA ?

what about nutrition online course ?

im trying to raise my science gpa up

There should be a more detailed list of what each section counts as. I thought it would be on the site currently, but you might have to wait til the cycle opens. It might just be up there when the application starts, but I know it went into very specific classes.

I would say general psychology is non science (that's what I counted it as). Again, I don't want to give you wrong information, so check for that list and I'll see if I can find it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, this question has been asked a million times, but just how strict are colleges on their "no community college credit" policy?

Since I graduated highschool a year early, I went to a nearby CC last semester and this semester but I will be attending a four-year LAC as a freshman in "advanced standing" (because of my CC credits) this fall. Of the pre-reqs, I have taken college composition and biology I/lab at the CC. I received an A- in college comp last semester and I think I will be getting a B+/A- in my bio course (I haven't gotten my final grade yet as we have finals next week). Since I am going in as a freshman, I am prepared to retake Bio I and College Comp, but obviously I would rather not. The thing is that I live in New England so I will definitely be applying to Tufts and NYU but, of course, those are the two colleges that seem to be the most strict in their CC credit policy.

Will they not really care after they see all my additional science/humanities classes I will be taking at my four year college? Are dental schools pretty easy to contact so I can ask them directly?

Ok, this question has been asked a million times, but just how strict are colleges on their "no community college credit" policy?

Since I graduated highschool a year early, I went to a nearby CC last semester and this semester but I will be attending a four-year LAC as a freshman in "advanced standing" (because of my CC credits) this fall. Of the pre-reqs, I have taken college composition and biology I/lab at the CC. I received an A- in college comp last semester and I think I will be getting a B+/A- in my bio course (I haven't gotten my final grade yet as we have finals next week). Since I am going in as a freshman, I am prepared to retake Bio I and College Comp, but obviously I would rather not. The thing is that I live in New England so I will definitely be applying to Tufts and NYU but, of course, those are the two colleges that seem to be the most strict in their CC credit policy.

Will they not really care after they see all my additional science/humanities classes I will be taking at my four year college? Are dental schools pretty easy to contact so I can ask them directly?

If a school doesn't accept CC credits, then they won't accept any... they are very serious about it.... The good news is, majority of schools do accept CC credits (between 30-60 credits where 60 is most common)

Who initially reviews applications and decides whether the stats are acceptable for further review?

For the schools that don't just send out secondaries to everyone, who decides which applicants get secondaries?

Are they adcom members or dentists, or are they the people who work in the admissions department that are listed in the ADEA book?

Who initially reviews applications and decides whether the stats are acceptable for further review?
Either the automated system (specially for schools with GPA/DAT cutoffs)... or an adcom coordinator.

lol thanks DW.

This is a minor and stupid question but does it matter what order i enter my classes in for a given semester? does it have to correlate exactly with my transcript?

lol thanks DW.

This is a minor and stupid question but does it matter what order i enter my classes in for a given semester? does it have to correlate exactly with my transcript?

Like dw said, I think it would be helpful for them because it would be easier to compare and it's easier for you to check that you got everything listed properly. But if you put one in the wrong order (as long as they are in the proper semester), I doubt they will reject you just for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
i will be uploading 4 LORs from my profs. onto AADSAS. so do i mail out the LOR from my dentist to the schools i applied. just like in some envelope ?

Stupid Q:
whats IS TS and AA and how are each of them determined from DAT?

Stupid Q:
whats IS TS and AA and how are each of them determined from DAT?

Total science=TS= is calculated in a specific manner out of the 100 science questions. (it is not the avg of the 3 science scores).

AA: average of these sections : BIO/GenChem/Orgo/QR/RC. so you add these sections up, divide it by 5( thats what avg means) and say you get 19.6, then you round it up to a 20.

Total science=TS= is calculated in a specific manner out of the 100 science questions. (it is not the avg of the 3 science scores).

AA: average of these sections : BIO/GenChem/Orgo/QR/RC. so you add these sections up, divide it by 5( thats what avg means) and say you get 19.6, then you round it up to a 20.

Thank you~

i will be uploading 4 LORs from my profs. onto AADSAS. so do i mail out the LOR from my dentist to the schools i applied. just like in some envelope ?

You need to first contact the school and make sure they are Okay to accept LOR outside of AADSAS.

Some are switching to 100% paperless application, and others will not accept LORs coming from students (they'll only accept from writers directly)

Can someone list the NEW SCHOOLS OPENING THIS CYCLE?

:thumbup:Perfect thread for my stupid questions.

Another Ques:

If I submit my application in June to ~5 schools but wait to add ~10 more in August, would that cost me more after I submit my app? or would it be the same price?

Another Ques:

If I submit my application in June to ~5 schools but wait to add ~10 more in August, would that cost me more after I submit my app? or would it be the same price?

cost more

AADSAS doesn't make sense. or I don't get their pricing.

"Adding Additional Schools after e-Submission
You may apply to additional schools after you have submitted your ADEA AADSAS application. The processing fee for additional designations is $68 for each additional school."

but if you read aadsas instruction page 46... http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/GeneralInstructions/Documents/2011%20ADEA%20AADSAS%20General%20Instructions%20Booklet.pdf
the difference between each school after the first is $72.

so it wouldn't cost more if I add schools after submitting my app... right? unless they charge the fee for the first school again(?!)...but that's not mentioned in the manual.

I would think at least a couple classes a semester. I went to a quarter school so I'm not completely sure how things transfer, but I usually took at least 18 credits hours a quarter which was about 3-4 science courses at a time with a psychology class as well.

WHATTT?!? I'm on the quarter system..and how..did..you..do..that??!? The most I've taken so far is 11 hours and I thought THAT was bad :oops:!!!!!!

WHATTT?!? I'm on the quarter system..and how..did..you..do..that??!? The most I've taken so far is 11 hours and I thought THAT was bad :oops:!!!!!!

It only worked out to either 4 or 5 classes. Not really too bad if you manage your time. I thought most people took that many. Whoops.

When I print out the transcript verification form and "submit" it to my school. Will I also be filling out one of the Admissions and Records forms which requests my transcripts be sent somewhere (ADEA AADSAS)? or is the form that I print out from AADSAS the only thing I will need to submit?

When I print out the transcript verification form and "submit" it to my school. Will I also be filling out one of the Admissions and Records forms which requests my transcripts be sent somewhere (ADEA AADSAS)? or is the form that I print out from AADSAS the only thing I will need to submit?

I had to write something on the form the Records department gave me. I think I just wrote AADSAS and they had all the information.

I had to write something on the form the Records department gave me. I think I just wrote AADSAS and they had all the information.

Awesome thanks Maygyver (and thanks to everyone answering questions on this and other threads, this forum would be useless without you guys).

This got mentioned on a previous page but in my personal statement, I talk about what I gained from working in a nearby dental school clinic one summer.

The thing is, I wrote out the name of the dental school and department where I worked. I'll be putting one other thing on my ECs directly naming the school (an "outreach conference").

The dental school is pretty well known and fairly competitive. I'm really excited to apply there but I don't want to come across as name dropping so that I alienate the other schools that I'm applying to, especially in my personal statement.

I'll definitely be putting the name of the d-school in the "Professional Experience" section but do you think it would sound better if I worded it something like "My experience at X dental school in the summer of 2008 further influenced...." or "My experience at a nearby dental school further influenced...."?

Awesome thanks Maygyver (and thanks to everyone answering questions on this and other threads, this forum would be useless without you guys).

This got mentioned on a previous page but in my personal statement, I talk about what I gained from working in a nearby dental school clinic one summer.

The thing is, I wrote out the name of the dental school and department where I worked. I'll be putting one other thing on my ECs directly naming the school (an "outreach conference").

The dental school is pretty well known and fairly competitive. I'm really excited to apply there but I don't want to come across as name dropping so that I alienate the other schools that I'm applying to, especially in my personal statement.

I'll definitely be putting the name of the d-school in the "Professional Experience" section but do you think it would sound better if I worded it something like "My experience at X dental school in the summer of 2008 further influenced...." or "My experience at a nearby dental school further influenced...."?

I would leave it out of the personal statement (it really isn't that important as far as defining you as a person/future dentist), but list it under the professional experience by name.

I would leave it out of the personal statement (it really isn't that important as far as defining you as a person/future dentist), but list it under the professional experience by name.

Cool, will do.

-It's probably already this in the thread but I'm a psych major who transferred to a well-known school from CC. I took all of my prereqs at the 4-year so the only upper div bio class I was able to fit in before I apply is Biochem (which I got an A in). I took a lower div genetics class and I'll be taking upper division anatomy in the summer and physiology in the fall.
Both my science and BCP GPA are around a 3.5 and my overall GPA is around a 3.6/3.7.

Should I expect to get grilled about only having 1 upper level bio class even though I took all of my prereqs at the 4-year and my GPA's aren't low?

-I recently saw someone talk about their GPA this way and it got me wondering....will my AADSAS GPA be calculated with and without +/-?

-I called AADSAS about this but I didn't get a complete answer from the guy and I didn't clarify my question before he hung up but will AADSAS calculate my pre-requisite GPA (including English, Math, BCP)?

Cool, will do.

-It's probably already this in the thread but I'm a psych major who transferred to a well-known school from CC. I took all of my prereqs at the 4-year so the only upper div bio class I was able to fit in before I apply is Biochem (which I got an A in). I took a lower div genetics class and I'll be taking upper division anatomy in the summer and physiology in the fall.
Both my science and BCP GPA are around a 3.5 and my overall GPA is around a 3.6/3.7.

Should I expect to get grilled about only having 1 upper level bio class even though I took all of my prereqs at the 4-year and my GPA's aren't low?

-I recently saw someone talk about their GPA this way and it got me wondering....will my AADSAS GPA be calculated with and without +/-?

-I called AADSAS about this but I didn't get a complete answer from the guy and I didn't clarify my question before he hung up but will AADSAS calculate my pre-requisite GPA (including English, Math, BCP)?

I wouldn't expect to be grilled. They might mention not taking many science classes, but I doubt they will be too aggressive.

AADSAS will calculate both with and without +/-.

They won't calculate a pre-req GPA.

Cool, will do.

-I recently saw someone talk about their GPA this way and it got me wondering....will my AADSAS GPA be calculated with andwithout +/-?

you better hope they start to grill you... because you have a strong counter argument which will put their mind at ease, followed by them liking you even more.

You have a strong GPA, strong sGPA, and the fact you performed very well in biochem speaks volumes about your work ethic and your ability to handle sciences. By the way, Biochem is no easy class, thats one of the toughest upper level undergrad courses.

There is no such thing as "pre-req GPA"... the closest thing is BCP.

I’ve lurked forever and am finally coming out of hiding...to ask stupid questions. Kind of wish I could stay in hiding :scared::oops: Sorry for the bombardment of idiotic questions...

1. Extracurricular Hours
How on earth are you supposed to get a good estimate on your committed hours? I’ve been in my school’s pre-dent organization since my freshmen year. As a member (3 semesters) I put in ~2 hrs/wk and now in 2 different officer positions (2 semesters as PR Rep, will be 2 as President) I’ve done ~10 hrs/wk. I have no idea how to tackle this. Any suggestions?

2. Dental Experience v. Professional Experience

My two paid jobs have been in dental offices, so these could technically go under dental experience, especially since I’ve only shadowed 4 dentists and thus will not have filled up that section. Would it be smarter to keep the jobs under professional experience so that the section isn’t blank? Does this even make a difference or am I just being paranoid?

3. What Counts as Academic Enrichment Programs

I’m doing Gateway at UMDNJ and Intro to Dentistry at Penn so obviously these go under this category. At my school I was in selected for a freshmen honors program called Emerging Scholars where you’re put into fancy science classes and then spend 4 hours a week “in a small group environment that is based on academic interests and shared commitment to excellence.” It was a pretty lame program and I’d hate to be asked about it in an interview because I didn’t find it at all beneficial - should I put it down anyway to help fill the space?

Thank you in advance...you are all wonderful, beautiful people.

Last edited:
I’ve lurked forever and am finally coming out of hiding...to ask stupid questions. Kind of wish I could stay in hiding :scared::oops: Sorry for the bombardment of idiotic questions...

1. Extracurricular Hours
How on earth are you supposed to get a good estimate on your committed hours? I’ve been in my school’s pre-dent organization since my freshmen year. As a member (3 semesters) I put in ~2 hrs/wk and now in 2 different officer positions (2 semesters as PR Rep, will be 2 as President) I’ve done ~10 hrs/wk. I have no idea how to tackle this. Any suggestions?

2. Dental Experience v. Professional Experience

My two paid jobs have been in dental offices, so these could technically go under dental experience, especially since I’ve only shadowed 4 dentists and thus will not have filled up that section. Would it be smarter to keep the jobs under professional experience so that the section isn’t blank? Does this even make a difference or am I just being paranoid?

3. What Counts as Academic Enrichment Programs

I’m doing Gateway at UMDNJ and Intro to Dentistry at Penn so obviously these go under this category. At my school I was in selected for a freshmen honors program called Emerging Scholars where you’re put into fancy science classes and then spend 4 hours a week “in a small group environment that is based on academic interests and shared commitment to excellence.” It was a pretty lame program and I’d hate to be asked about it in an interview because I didn’t find it at all beneficial - should I put it down anyway to help fill the space?

Thank you in advance...you are all wonderful, beautiful people.

1.) You just did it. Estimate.
2.) I don't think it really matters. I would put them under dental.
3.) Don't put it down if your response will be "it was lame, brah." If you can think of a way it was beneficial put it down. They will ask.

how do people take a gap year off, if I'm on student loans then as soon as I'm not enrolled full time for more than 6 months, then payments are due, so how do people take a year off without the loans payment due?

how do people take a gap year off, if I'm on student loans then as soon as I'm not enrolled full time for more than 6 months, then payments are due, so how do people take a year off without the loans payment due?

Taking a year off doesn't always mean doing nothing. I'm working during my year off. I think you would have to work.

How dumb would it be to apply to Boston or Tufts with CC credits?

I called both schools and told them that I took all the pre-reqs at a 4-year and they both told me that it's good I didn't take the pre-reqs at a cc and that I should "apply and see what happens".

I'm pretty interested in both schools and they both have a good oos percent. I'm really not looking to waste money because applying is going to be expensive so I was wondering, would it be stupid to apply to either/both?

How dumb would it be to apply to Boston or Tufts with CC credits?

I called both schools and told them that I took all the pre-reqs at a 4-year and they both told me that it's good I didn't take the pre-reqs at a cc and that I should "apply and see what happens".

I'm pretty interested in both schools and they both have a good oos percent. I'm really not looking to waste money because applying is going to be expensive so I was wondering, would it be stupid to apply to either/both?

Im confused... did you do your pre-reqs at CC or university? If you did pre-reqs at CC, you can't apply to these 2, its almost a guaranteed rejection....

lol, if you really did do pre-reqs at CC, why didn't you tell them that over the phone? their answer would have been more meaningful

P.S ~ wasn't your account deactivated?

Im confused... did you do your pre-reqs at CC or university? If you did pre-reqs at CC, you can't apply to these 2, its almost a guaranteed rejection....

I did my prereqs at university.

lol, if you really did do pre-reqs at CC, why didn't you tell them that over the phone? their answer would have been more meaningful

I told them that I did all my GEs at cc and all of my pre-reqs and upper division major requirements at a university. They both said that "You should apply and see what happens".

I don't really know what to take away from that b/c they're known for only accepting 4-year student but the people who I talked to sounded like I could be evaluated even with cc credits.

P.S ~ wasn't your account deactivated?
Haha yeah, a little confusion with the mods. Wasn't trolling or anything.

I did my prereqs at university.

I told them that I did all my GEs at cc and all of my pre-reqs and upper division major requirements at a university. They both said that "You should apply and see what happens".

I don't really know what to take away from that b/c they're known for only accepting 4-year student but the people who I talked to sounded like I could be evaluated even with cc credits.

Haha yeah, a little confusion with the mods. Wasn't trolling or anything.

ohh I see.

I think (but not too sure) those schools don't like pre-reqs done at CCs. As far as regular courses at CC, they'll just disregard them and focus on your college works.

If you have good college record, I don't see what possible issue they can have against you.... But then again, when you have 3000+ applications and only room for 200-300 interviews, they tend to throw rejection-excuses out like Halloween candy.

If you have good college record, I don't see what possible issue they can have against you.... But then again, when you have 3000+ applications and only room for 200-300 interviews, they tend to throw rejection-excuses out like Halloween candy.

:rolleyes: lol I get the picture.

When we give our schools the transcript verification form and request our transcripts to be sent to AADSAS, should we tell them to do anything specific with it like staple it to the transcript or make sure that the bar code is facing a certain direction?

Are the 2x2 photos for secondaries professional-like or will a digital camera suffice (with professional dress)?

:rolleyes: lol I get the picture.

When we give our schools the transcript verification form and request our transcripts to be sent to AADSAS, should we tell them to do anything specific with it like staple it to the transcript or make sure that the bar code is facing a certain direction?

Are the 2x2 photos for secondaries professional-like or will a digital camera suffice (with professional dress)?

You hand over the transcript matching form to the registrars office (or which ever department handles transcripts) and tell them specifically to include the matching form with the transcript (same envelope) ~ the address as to where they should mail it is written on the matching form. Staple vs no staple = same thing.

you should do the 2X2 pic as a passport ID. Go to your local CVS or walgreens, they do the service in-house now. You should dress up, and look professional, they wanna put a face to the person whom theyr looking at, best to look professional.

hey everyone.

I wanted to know whether the descriptions of professional experience (175 character limit) can be done in point form.

for instance, can I put "observed dental operations" instead of "I observed dental operations"

thanks

hey everyone.

I wanted to know whether the descriptions of professional experience (175 character limit) can be done in point form.

for instance, can I put "observed dental operations" instead of "I observed dental operations"

thanks

This was answered in this thread... go back to page 2 and see post #55

How do we send in our DAT scores this time?

I wrote the test in Jan 2011...and will be applying this coming cycle

Thanks!

How do we send in our DAT scores this time?

I wrote the test in Jan 2011...and will be applying this coming cycle

Thanks!

I think it will still be by putting your DENTPIN into AADSAS.

Thank you for your help|!!

Another question though...
Physics at my school is only 3 credits...
Even though the course has a lecture and a lab component, it is still 3 credits.
I just finished talking to my Advisor and she said that it doesn't indicate on the transcript that the course has a lab component as well.

I was wondering that how do then the schools come to know if there's a lab with a course or not?

Thanks!

How many of you seasoned applicants/accepted students are laughing and annoyed at us first-time applicants? We are all sorts of hyper and asking some silly stuff. Nice how we jump right to SDN for support!

Thanks for the patience and help guys!