Stupid calls from nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bell412 said:
[ Your so right about nurses I mean I've been an RN for 14 years and five of those I was a flight nurse for a busy hospital based 911 service. Currently I'm half way through graduate studies in nurse anesthesia. How about I give you some intelligent calls made by the Doctors.

1. Call came in from a Doctor stating that he had a 2yo having multiple epileptic seizures. We arrive at the ER and I started evaluating the patient and the diagnostics that were done and found a serum sodium of 110. The patient had another grad mal seizure and my partner and I quickly established an airway via endotracheal intubation and started correcting the hyponatremic state. Total hospital time 30 minutes. Total time before seen by an intensivst, one hour.

2. Oh how about this one. Call came in from a Doctor with a patient with 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and neck. We get there and yours truly Doctor Woctor wanted to do rapid sequence intubation using Norcuron for muscle relaxation. Extremely intelligent decision Doctor Woctor. Come on class how long will a non-depolarzing agents that are similar to vecuronium last. Thats right 30-40 minutes. Now how long does anectine last? Perhaps one minute? By the way whats the Ed95 of anectine? My point is if you can't intubate and can't ventilate your patient dies. It didn't take to long to convince doctor woctor that anectine was the drug of choice that would save his licence. By the way watching him do laryngoscopy was very painful. He goosed twice. (You don't have a clue what I'm talking about do you) My partner was successful the fist attempt. We started the parkland formula for burn recusetaion.

3. Your gonna love this call. We arrive on scene of a roll over MVA. Three were entrapt in the vehicle and one was ejected. The one that was ejected was the most critical. Thank God when we landed on the highway there was a surgeon that happend to be in the line of stopped vehicles. I do my ABC's. I got to B and noticed a flailed segments on both sides of the chest. The surgeon saw asymetry as a hemopnemothorax and wants to go straight to the chest tube. I'm not talking about a thoracostomy I'm talking about a 32 French chest tube. He showed me his medical licence and I backed aside. He through is a chest tube with nothin comin out folks. Ok here the deal if you suspect a asymetric chest with pulmonary decompensation the airway must be managed FIRST. Then you figure out WHY the chest is asymetric. Is there flaied segments or is there a hemo or pnemothorax. The doctor was wrong class, dead wrong. Our bloody scene time was an HOUR. We have strict guidlines for 10 minute scene times. Airway managemment and other crtical intervention are done in the helicopter. This is how lives are saved. You get them to a facility where there are surgical option. Another smart decision mad by the doctors.

I've been in the buisness to long to listen to you med students talk about nurses this way. I know you have busted your ass off for many years and you probably got many more to go. But you know what? You wanted to do it. The choice was yours! The choice I've made I'll never regret. I've had a way cool job as a flight nurse. Now I'm going to become a CRNA. Maybe this nurse is smarter than you?

I agree this nurse does sound bitter. Just don't forget the MD before the A in MDA which is an acronym that means MAKES DECISIONS :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

unregistered said:
Wow - you are very bitter.

"Doctor Woctor?" LOL

I am also laughing about the Doctor Woctor thing. I'm willing to bet that the poster uses the term "Doctor Woctor" multiple times every day when conversing with fellow nurses. I also bet every nurse in the world has a typed list in their pocket of every mistake they think they've ever seen a doctor make.

bell412 said:
(You don't have a clue what I'm talking about do you)

Not really, but I think mostly it's the grammar.

I really don't mind captain if your the captain captain. But make the right decsion captain captain sir. See when you called me, you wanted somebody to bail you out. By the way surg resident. I'm talking about chest tube placement on the f---ing highway that took 30 stupid minutes. Perhaps you have heard of the golden hour. The patient DIED. You bet I got a chip on my shoulder when you guys flog nurses on these forums. Just given you a little taste of your own medicine. By the way I'm very aware of the side effects of Succs. Who gives a rats ass about them when your airway is very close to surgical intervention. That is cricothyrotomy for those of you that are wondering. Oh by the way how many of these have you performed captain?

bell412 said:
He goosed twice. (You don't have a clue what I'm talking about do you) My partner was successful the fist attempt. We started the parkland formula for burn recusetaion.

Esophagus.

"P"arkland.

"resuscitation"

Clarity in speech and writing go a long way in portraying one's self as educated, versus recounting war stories and one's victories in same. Using jargon does not aid in one's cause to appear more professional - instead, it appears to be an elitist tactic.

As for CRNA - as one told me, he's a "Miller cripple" - couldn't use a Mac to save his life. He is unapologetic, too - more than willing to admit his limits. Or how about the trauma victim on whom I am maintaining in-line cervical spinal immobilization? The hint might be my arms and hands on either side of the head. When the patient starts to vomit, the CRNA should not jump when the MDA yells not to turn the head, which the CRNA is trying to do, and I am fighting with all my might to maintain inline stabilization. Likewise, in this same patient, the CRNA might say beforehand that she's never done a "trauma tube", instead of "goosing" (esophagus), and then letting the attending MDA intubate the patient.

It's everywhere. As I stated before on SDN, when I was prelim, I was paged into submission every call night - why? Because I answered my pages. My colleague that ranted and raved on the occasions he would return his pages never got called, because the nurses (for whom English was not the first language) were afraid of him. His clinic patients were the same way - he wouldn't even GO to clinic, because he knew his patients were going to cancel.

It's everywhere.

Apollyon said:
Esophagus.

"P"arkland.

"resuscitation"

Clarity in speech and writing go a long way in portraying one's self as educated, versus recounting war stories and one's victories in same.

Come on, man, she's a hero nurse and a procedural maestro, not an English teacher. You're such a Doctor Woctor.

bell412 said:
I really don't mind captain if your the captain captain. But make the right decsion captain captain sir. See when you called me, you wanted somebody to bail you out. By the way surg resident. I'm talking about chest tube placement on the f---ing highway that took 30 stupid minutes. Perhaps you have heard of the golden hour. The patient DIED. You bet I got a chip on my shoulder when you guys flog nurses on these forums. Just given you a little taste of your own medicine. By the way I'm very aware of the side effects of Succs. Who gives a rats ass about them when your airway is very close to surgical intervention. That is cricothyrotomy for those of you that are wondering. Oh by the way how many of these have you performed captain?
I give a rat's ass about the side effects of SCH because you can intubate someone with enough sedation without paralytics the vast majority of times. A burn patient rarely has trismus (that's the clenching of the jaws that many head injured patients get), so sedation without paralysis often allows successful intubation.

And I agree, 30 minutes for a chest tube is too long. In an emergent situation, you should be able to throw a chest tube in within 2 minutes easily. I'm surprised you even allowed the surgeon to perform this. Where I worked as a paramedic, we weren't allowed to take orders from or allow procedures to be performed by on-scene physicians unless it was our medical director.

For your information, I have done one surgical cric and assisted in another. And you?

southerndoc said:
And a nurse troll at that.
Come on southern doc. How much sedation? Like 100mg of midazolam or 500 mcgs of fentanyl. That would be super smart huh? See you BP in the ditch. Or maybe we should bring along an induction agent. Do you know what one is? Yes I have performed a surgical airway with a massive Lafortte fracture. Opening the mouth was impossible. Give me one scenario where the side effects of anectine gave a bad outcome? (Other than the affects of faciculations) Some institutions use anectine for every single one of there OR inductions. So you want to call me a troll go ahead. Perhaps you should read all of the previous posts about stupid nurses.

bell412 said:
Come on southern doc. How much sedation? Like 100mg of midazolam or 500 mcgs of fentanyl. That would be super smart huh? See you BP in the ditch. Or maybe we should bring along an induction agent. Do you know what one is? Yes I have performed a surgical airway with a massive Lafortte fracture. Opening the mouth was impossible. Give me one scenario where the side effects of anectine gave a bad outcome? (Other than the affects of faciculations) Some institutions use anectine for every single one of there OR inductions. So you want to call me a troll go ahead. Perhaps you should read all of the previous posts about stupid nurses.

What did you honestly expect from a thread titled "Stupid calls from nurses"?

bell412 said:

sch bad outcome? how about burn patients, neurotrauma, post cva pts or any other situation with up regulated extrajunctional receptors, I think this was addressed in a previous post. hyperkalemia is great for myocardium

L-E-F-O-R-T-E....Leforte

E-F-F-E-C-T-S of F-A-S-C-I-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S....effects of fasciculations

Say it now with me.... :D

Idiopathic said:
As a 3rd year student on OB, I decided that I could nap @ around 3:30 AM, since no px was in active labor (one woman was a 1-2 s progression for, like days)

About 4:15 AM we get woken up with: "Doctors, come quick...she's a nine...and pushing!"

Needless to say, when she was properly examined, and was maybe a 2, we had several questions...until, that is, she delivered a beatuiful, 3 lb, 3 oz bowel movement.

Oh, yeah...her rectum was a nine.

OMG this is so funny!!! ROFL! :laugh:

What an embarrassing pissing contest.

yeah. . .i don't get bell412's input. . .his/her scenarios are totally different and involve fine details about complex perhaps controversial treatment protocols. All parties involved were using their brains, and as even he/she him/herself mentioned, the doctor was more than willing to admit his error and let this nurse's advice be carried out.

Medicine is not supposed to be a competition of "yay! i win b/c my plan worked! I beat the doctor and can now call him woctor b/c i am obviously so much smarter!" That's just unprofessional. So I take it you, bell412, are going to refuse giving in to a suggestion a doctor might have in another situation that might work better than what you had in mind, just so that you won't end up being the "loser" in the game of wits? And if you do decide to act in the best interest of the patient, should the doctor then have a right to call you nurse shmurse?

The nurse paging anecdotes are situations that are absurd in their obviousness, like when someone is stumped by a question like "what year was the war of 1812?" They don't seem to be parallel with your anecdotes about MDs.

Perhaps bell412 should remember that all of her/his protocols are nothing more than orders from a doctor (EMS medical director). That means that all of the thinking has been done for you, all you have to do is know when to apply which protocol (order). So don't act like you're running around making up all these incredible treatment plans.

Now I have this funny image of bell412 starring as a comic book hero in some nursing union sponsored magazine.

"Bell412, Mighty protector of patients from Woctors"

Faster than a speeding Woctor...
Able to leap Woctors in a single bound...

Is all reality, it is sad to see some people so full of themselves. Bell412 is a prime example of what is wrong with EMS today, people and their egos. It's real bad when their ego arrives 5 minutes before they do.

Many nurses try to use their anecdotal experiences to outsmart physicians, especially med students and residents. Once in a while, they know a little fact that the intern didn't. Then they pat themselves on the backs and go back to the bitchin circle.

As physicians, we are supposed know what to do, the nurses aren't. The nurses aren't even expected to have common sense or basic knowledge about the human body, it's not in their job description. And we certainly can't expect them to do/know things outside their job description!

While we can't expect much of anything from them, it's still fun to share all the dumb things they say and do which make our call nights miserable. These stories have been hilarious, keep em coming!!!!

Your so right woctor. When I saw that flailed segment I looked it up in my comic book and boom there it was.

now watch all the woctors pee there pants

Poor spelling and grammar is what you get when all that is required is a two year degree. Most two year degree's only require math at an eight grade level (that explains, "What’s 20% of 1.5”) and no college level English (poor spelling and grammar).

bell412 said:
[ Your so right about nurses I mean I've been an RN for 14 years and five of those I was a flight nurse for a busy hospital based 911 service. Currently I'm half way through graduate studies in nurse anesthesia. How about I give you some intelligent calls made by the Doctors.

1. Call came in from a Doctor stating that he had a 2yo having multiple epileptic seizures. We arrive at the ER and I started evaluating the patient and the diagnostics that were done and found a serum sodium of 110. The patient had another grad mal seizure and my partner and I quickly established an airway via endotracheal intubation and started correcting the hyponatremic state. Total hospital time 30 minutes. Total time before seen by an intensivst, one hour.

2. Oh how about this one. Call came in from a Doctor with a patient with 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and neck. We get there and yours truly Doctor Woctor wanted to do rapid sequence intubation using Norcuron for muscle relaxation. Extremely intelligent decision Doctor Woctor. Come on class how long will a non-depolarzing agents that are similar to vecuronium last. Thats right 30-40 minutes. Now how long does anectine last? Perhaps one minute? By the way whats the Ed95 of anectine? My point is if you can't intubate and can't ventilate your patient dies. It didn't take to long to convince doctor woctor that anectine was the drug of choice that would save his licence. By the way watching him do laryngoscopy was very painful. He goosed twice. (You don't have a clue what I'm talking about do you) My partner was successful the fist attempt. We started the parkland formula for burn recusetaion.

3. Your gonna love this call. We arrive on scene of a roll over MVA. Three were entrapt in the vehicle and one was ejected. The one that was ejected was the most critical. Thank God when we landed on the highway there was a surgeon that happend to be in the line of stopped vehicles. I do my ABC's. I got to B and noticed a flailed segments on both sides of the chest. The surgeon saw asymetry as a hemopnemothorax and wants to go straight to the chest tube. I'm not talking about a thoracostomy I'm talking about a 32 French chest tube. He showed me his medical licence and I backed aside. He through is a chest tube with nothin comin out folks. Ok here the deal if you suspect a asymetric chest with pulmonary decompensation the airway must be managed FIRST. Then you figure out WHY the chest is asymetric. Is there flaied segments or is there a hemo or pnemothorax. The doctor was wrong class, dead wrong. Our bloody scene time was an HOUR. We have strict guidlines for 10 minute scene times. Airway managemment and other crtical intervention are done in the helicopter. This is how lives are saved. You get them to a facility where there are surgical option. Another smart decision mad by the doctors.

I've been in the buisness to long to listen to you med students talk about nurses this way. I know you have busted your ass off for many years and you probably got many more to go. But you know what? You wanted to do it. The choice was yours! The choice I've made I'll never regret. I've had a way cool job as a flight nurse. Now I'm going to become a CRNA. Maybe this nurse is smarter than you?
Why did you allow the surgeon to take over "your" scene if you have "strict guidlines for 10 minute scene times"?

I'm left with no choice but to call a FMcFP on this thread:

Fatty McFattypants

Its obvious bell412 is a great example of what you docs have to put up with. Let me see if I've got this right.

Insecure nurses with incredible inferiority complexes that cope by overcompensating with aggressive behavior, rude comments, and personal attacks without ever stopping to think that perhaps this "stoopid" physician could had arrived at a particular conclusion based on information or knowledge that, by its very nature, could be impossible or hard to understand without actually attending medical school. Or maybe that physician is considering the 50 other differential diagnoses or effects that pop in their heads while you stand there and jump and point at the "obvious" solution.

WilcoWorld said:

Fatty McFattypants

:laugh:

bell412 said:

Oh BTW. . .you BETCHA I wanted to do this! You DAAAAAAAAAAMN RIGHT about that. i'm truly thankful for having chosen this grueling physician route. The things i see and learn every day, the education i am receiving, and even your words as well as actions as described in your "stories" all reaffirm my choice a hundred times over. Grueling is grueling for a reason. There is no easy way out, despite what you may think you have acheived. Although one's education i feel should be a never ending process, I could never feel properly educated or qualified enough to meddle with medical decisions if i'd taken the nursing path, CRNA, or even PA (which btw is more education than nurses). i'd do med school again in a heartbeat. Heck i'd go through 5 residencies if i could! NO REGRETS HERE WHATSOEVER.

I do believe you made the best choice for yourself. Wow, gonna be a CRNA!! GOOD JOB! I am sincerely proud of you and i say this without any reservation. CRNAs are generally very competent nurses as i have seen. but perhaps you have some insecurities there bell? well i hope you get over those insecurities by the time you're a CRNA, b/c we will be colleagues. . .well, at least I will consider you a colleague. Will you do the same towards me, I wonder?

Also, i've noticed that the wisest senior nursing staff (the ones that really can save lives) are also usually the ones that have the most respect for their physician colleagues and that appreciate the thought process involved, not just jumping to the obvious-seeming treatment like you bell. That may work sometimes and you might have been lucky, but your non-collegial attitude and your impulsiveness could place patients in great danger.

You say you've been in this too long?? I say. . .not long enough!! Your maturity and professionalism have a ways to go.

WilcoWorld said:

Fatty McFattypants
Oh, word to that.

thancks fer the grammer leson jooce.

go to college jambi

very well. I'am bell412 Fatty McFattypants

That wasn't directed at you so much as it was directed at the direction this thread was taking, directly or indirectly in a directional direction.

chicamedica said:
... but your non-collegial attitude and your impulsiveness could place patients in great danger.

You say you've been in this too long?? I say. . .not long enough!! Your maturity and professionalism have a ways to go.

Eh... everyone's a hardass on an anonymous Internet forum. It's whether or not they have the cojones to back it up when they're right in front you that really matters. So, keep bellowing that hot air, bell412. It's quite entertaining.

-Skip

I read this post and I started to laugh when read this paragraph. This nursing anesthetist student is reciting something she just learned in one of her anesthesia classes and trying to impress us. :laugh:
Why don't you go to the anesthesia forum and try to impress the anesthesia residents/attendings with your heroic saves? Idiot.
This is a perfect example of an ignorant technician learning something of value and now trying to sound like they are experts in the field.

oh-oh sounds like woctor mad.

okay, back to the jokes -

time - 2:30 AM

beeper - "beep, beep, beep, freaking beep, beep, beep"

intern - "hi this is dr. x, i was paged?"

nurse (does not state her name, floor, patient's name or the attending patient belongs to) - "140"

nurse - "4.0"

nurse - "118"

nurse - "24"

nurse - "11"

nurse - 0.8

intern - "what the f@#$!"

nurse - "so what you wanna do?"

click - beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

back to the RN/MD fight - its all good ppl, we all make mistakes...just trying to laugh about it. i have tons of MD stories if someone wants to start that thread. but i did want to ask if there were any MDs that decided to quit and become an RN. just curious. ;)

gwen said:
okay, back to the jokes -

time - 2:30 AM

nurse - "so what you wanna do?"

click - beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
It's at this point that you order an immediate sponge bath on the floor's most objectionable patient.

bell412 said:

No I don't know what an induction agent is. Please enlighten me. I've never used one. We aren't allowed to use those in the emergency department to assist us with our intubations. Instead, we must rely on brute force.

I have intubated many burn patients with 10 mg of midazolam, a little of etomidate, or some other sedative without an induction agent. Oh wait, I forgot, I don't know what that is... without a paralytic agent.

And yes, I have seen a bad outcome from succinylcholine. Two in fact. One was a patient who developed hyperkalemic cardiac arrest after SCH was given after a severe crush injury involving a tractor. The other was a patient who had myasthenia gravis and was given SCH before a history was known. (You can look that one up to see the reaction for that one.)

I see we have lit a fuse with you. I appreciate your condescending tone. If you had noticed, I was actually supporting you with my first couple replies, but now I feel as if you are attacking me. Perhaps if I was a nurse it would have been different.

bell412 said:
[
1. Call came in from a Doctor stating that he had a 2yo having multiple epileptic seizures. We arrive at the ER and I started evaluating the patient and the diagnostics that were done and found a serum sodium of 110. The patient had another grad mal seizure and my partner and I quickly established an airway via endotracheal intubation and started correcting the hyponatremic state. Total hospital time 30 minutes. Total time before seen by an intensivst, one hour. ]

Why would a doctor call you (a nurse) to evaluate and review labs on his patient?

bell412 said:
[ Maybe this nurse is smarter than you? ]

Is this a question or a statement?

bell412 said:
[Doctor Wocter ]

:D LMAO OMG

I agree, why would a doc call you, second, I am confused and it is not because of your terrible spelling (btw, you really should work on that)

The confusion is YOU and your buddy corrected HYPOnatremia of 110 in 30 minutes... I mean you did say "total hospital time 30 min"??? Ever hear of central pontine myelinolysis?? I seriously doubt your story.

Tell you what... why dont you get your facts straight then re-post your heroic stories so that we can all be truly impressed with your greatness as a wanna be "woctor".

bell412 said:
thancks fer the grammer leson jooce.

Your welcome, I went too great lengths two learn the proper usage of certain words. I to was taut that as long as you just say it, you don't have too know HOW two say it. I can't bear too see people whom are sticklers for proper spelling and grammar. When I was young and impressionable, this concept just did not clique with me. I didn't think it was fare when other classmates received complements for there communication skills. When I realized that proper grammar & spelling is a reflection of one's intelligence; I said to myself, "Right hear, write now...I am going to learn to speak & right properly, once and four all."

I guess the morale of the story is, before posting, at least revue your spelling so you don't sound like a complete @$$.

BTW....you our a really smart nurse...by buy... :)

Candycane, a Bell 412 is a type of helicopter (big, but slow as crap compared to the AS-365N Dauphin's... ok, I'll stop drooling now). So, bell412 is most likely referring to being called by a rural physician who is airlifting a patient to a tertiary care facility. I don't recall if he/she explicitly stated so, but I assume bell412 is a flight nurse. (I'm too lazy of a Doctor Woctor to go read through the posts again to confirm my assumptions.)

southerndoc i apologize.

jooce said:
Your welcome, I went too great lengths two learn the proper usage of certain words. I to was taut that as long as you just say it, you don't have too know HOW two say it. I can't bear too see people whom are sticklers for proper spelling and grammar. When I was young and impressionable, this concept just did not clique with me. I didn't think it was fare when other classmates received complements for there communication skills. When I realized that proper grammar & spelling is a reflection of one's intelligence; I said to myself, "Right hear, write now...I am going to learn to speak & right properly, once and four all."

I guess the morale of the story is, before posting, at least revue your spelling so you don't sound like a complete @$$.

BTW....you our a really smart nurse...by buy... :)

:laugh:

Awesome! This post should win some sort of award.

-Skip

total hospital time 30 min. your right it must have been pontine myelinolysis. Silly me.

bell412 said:
total hospital time 30 min. your right it must have been pontine myelinolysis. Silly me.

Noooo, CPM is a consequence..... an unwanted RESULT of rapid correction of hyponatremia. I was doubting that anyone would allow you to correct hyponatremia so quickly.

candycane said:
Noooo, CPM is a consequence..... an unwanted RESULT of rapid correction of hyponatremia. I was doubting that anyone would allow you to correct hyponatremia so quickly.

Why are you bothering? Isn't it obvious? :laugh:

Besides, I'd really be more interested in knowing why this little patient had such a low sodium to begin with, but that's the kind of thing that interests doctor woctors. The clinical history matters. For example, if it was a rapid crash, then rapid correction would not likely result in CPM. Or, did the little toddler have some sort of pituitary problem. Maybe mommy overloaded the kid with water and this was a dilutional hyponatremia secondary to water intoxication. In that case, fluids would not be indicated but instead diuresis for volume correction. You see? We really didn't get all the information here, did we?

But, of course, these are the sorts of things that doctor woctors concern themselves with, not nursey wurseys.

-Skip

southern doc your right the bell412 is a hog. its like a flying coke machine. I flew in two other aircraft. The BO 105 and the bk117. our scene times were always long in the 412. how about the agusta 109!! now that bastard can fly fast! etomidate is an induction agent. and your right those side effects of succs can happen. I've just have never seen any myself. intubating with 10mg of midazolam on a burn patient dude? how many times did you have to beat em over the head to get the tube in the hole? please laugh that was just a joke.

look at the title of the thread folks. i stumbled along this sight and saw this thing. talk about condensending (did i spell that right jooce). just trying to defend myself. your right i need a grammer lesson. wanna continue the stupid nurses jokes? i'm game woctors.

good job skip your right. you get a big ol woctor star.

bell412 said:
talk about condensending (did i spell that right jooce)

No

Status
Not open for further replies.