Discounts for nurses but not residents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DorchDorch06

Reaction score
Anyone else keep running into discounts that exist for nurses or other medical professionals but NOT doctors or residents?? Ok ok I get that businesses are likely less inclined to give doctors, who are notoriously driving their cybertrucks to and from their billion dollar palaces a discount, but what about RESIDENTS? We work, on average, TWICE as much as nurses, and in many instances we make LESS than them, (not even going to mention the debt) but usually only nurses are the ones getting discounts almost everywhere you look.

The latest injustice regarding this topic is the Icon Ski Pass. $1000 for most people, $700 for nurses. I don’t know about y’all, but I am broke, love to ski, and would appreciate residents getting a break here and there from these companies. If you’re a doctor, like to ski, and wish you didn’t have to pay a months salary to afford it, feel free to tweet @IconPass to include residents in their discount.

Let our voices be heard.
Give residents a break, starting with the ability to shred at a discounted price.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
My best guess is that it has something to do with the last 8-10 years of education

Reactions: 8 users
My best guess is that it has something to do with the last 8-10 years of education

If you're currently in residency (not a rising intern), you really shouldn't be broke, despite the last 8-10 years of education. That's especially true if you're single and without kids.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is the single silliest rallying cry I have ever heard in my entire life.
Sounds like someone who does not shred the gnar enough to appreciate the value of a discounted ski pass...

Reactions: 2 users
If you're currently in residency (not a rising intern), you really shouldn't be broke, despite the last 8-10 years of education. That's especially true if you're single and without kids.
‘Twas what they call an exaggeration. (Although I am married single earner household intern soo..) The dire need to ski with the same discount as nurses, however, is no exaggeration.

Funny enough I agree with you. The Ikon thing ticked me off too. Not enough to start a thread and complain about it... but yeah it sucks and residents should be included in that healthcare worker deal - lots of other companies like North Face have figured that out.

I actually will probably go with an Epic pass this year despite wanting an Ikon pass to ski Mammoth because Epic emailed me a significant discount. Ikon's just too expensive as a resident w/o a discount.

Reactions: 1 user
Funny enough I agree with you. The Ikon thing ticked me off too. Not enough to start a thread and complain about it... but yeah it sucks and residents should be included in that healthcare worker deal - lots of other companies like North Face have figured that out.

I actually will probably go with an Epic pass this year despite wanting an Ikon pass to ski Mammoth because Epic emailed me a significant discount. Ikon's just too expensive as a resident w/o a discount.

I appreciate the validation. I will admit I was hyper caffeinated when I started this post, but also very ticked off by Icon. Mind me asking how you got an Epic discount?

I appreciate the validation. I will admit I was hyper caffeinated when I started this post, but also very ticked off by Icon. Mind me asking how you got an Epic discount?

I went skiing last year at Vail and they offered to apply my purchased pass to a discounted season ticket this year -- $150 discount off sticker price.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is the single silliest rallying cry I have ever heard in my entire life.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I knew plenty of residents that were awful with money. I had a friend in residency that always complained re: credit card debt - meanwhile lived in a 2b by themselves and always had photos of various adventures. In a first attending job, told me about the wonderful financial advisor that they found - who promptly convinced them to get whole life insurance. I tried to say that may not be the most wonderful idea - and they reacted like I was a total idiot. So I sent a link to White Coat Investor and promptly stopped ever discussing finances.

Later on, they had one of the most ridiculous weddings I've ever seen in my life too - I wouldn't be surprised if the flowers alone cost more than my wedding.

But yeah, a responsible adult with a solo salary roughly equal to the median household income in the US shouldn't be broke (well - they may be on paper, with a significantly negative net worth, but not cash flow broke). Maybe if they have kids and are in a HCOL area, but then the ski pass is the least of your worries.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending: Wait, Yeasports you aren't an intern anymore?
Yeasports: Heck no switched to nursing. (shows attending ski pass attached to R.N. hospital badge)
Attending: ?
Yeasports: (holding out ski pass) This baby goes for a grand and I got mine for a cool 700!
Attending: Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Ski passes cost a thousand bucks?!
Wow. Glad my hobbies are cheaper.

I paid like ~400 for my Epic Pass (IKON competitor) a couple winters ago. Just need to order ahead of time and deal with blackout dates. Not sure if the same option was still available this year but I also got lazy and ordered late in the season.

(I did get sorta lucky and planned my trip the week before Colorado shut down their resorts b/c of COVID)