Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
..............I emailed my recruiter and advisor. Suprise, suprise, neither one of them has heard of anything... why is life so hard? You would think that since it is their job to deal specifically with the HPSP scholarship, they would know something about it...

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

So... has anyone heard about the effective date of this stipend increase yet? I did some digging on my own and found that there was an estimated cost of 80+ million for the 2007 fiscal year. To me, it seems that would mean that they will be paying somebody something. On a side note, I emailed my recruiter and advisor. Suprise, suprise, neither one of them has heard of anything... why is life so hard? You would think that since it is their job to deal specifically with the HPSP scholarship, they would know something about it...

Again, we are confusing ideas. The cost of the program does not equal funding. The services need to go to Big Navy/Army or Air Force and ask for an additional money in order to raise the stipend from its current $1319 to $2500. That is approximately $1200 per student. Figure 3500 total HPSP (medical/dental/optometry) students in the triservice community (that is a SWAG) your looking at $50.4M for the fiscal year. I guarantee that the programs don't automatically have that in thier budget. It will have to be specifically added by Congress or they will have to make a request through DoD. With all the requests for bullets and bombs, a stipend increase may fall short on the priority list. If it does happen, could improve recruiting. Or not.

Well, that is certainly good food for thought. I just wish somebody had the hard facts, you know? What do you guys say we draw straws to see who has to write LTG Kiley?

Members don't see this ad :)
God i hope this bill gets approved, signed, and implemented soon. I want the $20,000 signon bonus too- someone slip that it in to the bill. this is what govtrack says as of today:

Passed House, Passed Senate
Having passed in both the House and Senate, the bill may proceed to a conference committee of senators and representatives to work out differences in the versions of the bill each chamber approved. The bill then awaits the signature of the President before becoming law.
Introduced: Apr 6, 2006
Last Action: Sep 12, 2006: Conference held.

so the conference has been held. now what the heck is going on? sign the bill Georgie!!

God i hope this bill gets approved, signed, and implemented soon. I want the $20,000 signon bonus too- someone slip that it in to the bill. this is what govtrack says as of today:

Passed House, Passed Senate
Having passed in both the House and Senate, the bill may proceed to a conference committee of senators and representatives to work out differences in the versions of the bill each chamber approved. The bill then awaits the signature of the President before becoming law.
Introduced: Apr 6, 2006
Last Action: Sep 12, 2006: Conference held.

so the conference has been held. now what the heck is going on? sign the bill Georgie!!

Can you say "pocket veto'?

Again, we are confusing ideas. The cost of the program does not equal funding. The services need to go to Big Navy/Army or Air Force and ask for an additional money in order to raise the stipend from its current $1319 to $2500. That is approximately $1200 per student. Figure 3500 total HPSP (medical/dental/optometry) students in the triservice community (that is a SWAG) your looking at $50.4M for the fiscal year. I guarantee that the programs don't automatically have that in thier budget. It will have to be specifically added by Congress or they will have to make a request through DoD. With all the requests for bullets and bombs, a stipend increase may fall short on the priority list. If it does happen, could improve recruiting. Or not.

I only received $1268/month for my stipend. Anyone AF out there to confirm that, or am I the only one not getting paid in full? Or is the $1319/month mentioned above pre-tax?

I am getting $1290 a month but it is going to very from person to person because it is based on the state income tax of you home of record. I am lucky and my home of record, WA, does not have a state income tax.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if the stipend is again 1279 for this coming year or if it increases each year...Also, I realize the stipend is taxed...anyone know roughly how much it ends up being per month after taxes? I am trying to plan my monthly expenses right now for the fall. Thanks so much for the help!

The actual answer to this question is the Stipend gets adjusted every JULY not January and it is currently at 1319. It was 1185 in 2003,1219 in 2004, 1279 in 2005 and now 1319 in 2006. The reason it gets adjusted in July is because it is also the amount that residents in civilian residencies get who particpate in the Army Reserve Specialized Training Program (STRAP), not to be confused with the Active Duty Financial Assistance Program or FAP which is $27,027 annually + $1319 per mionth. Since residents start residency in July both STRAP and the HPSP stipend get adjusted in July.

Hope this helps

Bliss72

Just got back from a medical school interview in Kansas City and the rumor mill was running hot that the stipend would basically double this year for the HPSP students going from about $1,300 to $2,600. If this is true that's an amazing jump considering past increases.

Just got back from a medical school interview in Kansas City and the rumor mill was running hot that the stipend would basically double this year for the HPSP students going from about $1,300 to $2,600. If this is true that's an amazing jump considering past increases.

If their accessions drop by half, what does it cost them?

Members don't see this ad :)

Who was saying this stuff....fellow interviewees or school people? When I went to get my ID done a few weeks back the recruiters who took me hadn't even heard about this yet. Just wondering if recruiters are already spreading the possible stipend increase around or how the word is getting out?

There is a proposal on the table to double the stipend which will affect STRAP and FAP as well as HPSP but it has not been approved, YET. The higher ups have been tossing around this idea for quite some time because of the other costs associated with medical school (ie. rent in NY)but it is ultmately up to the DoD. If I hear anything I'll let you know. Until then don't start buying that new Plasma TV for the apartment.

Bliss72
Resident Pre-med/HPSP Recruiter

If only.

This is truth as of today 21 Sep 06.

The National Defense Authorization Act is still in conference committee. Although I have been assured by one of the Senate staffers that the language will remain intact and the military will be able to raise the stipend to approx 2500 per month. The problem will come when they do not put their money where their mouth is. At present there is no money to increase stipends. So where the money goes.............

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/...&en=73dffaa3995d31e7&ei=5094&partner=homepage

DoD budget approved and is being sent to the White House for Bush's signature.

money, money, money, money.......money! fingers crossed.

Wrong bill. The Senate passed H.R.5631 (Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2007) today. The bill that will raise the HPSP scholarship is H.R.5122 (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007). I could not find anything in the former about HPSP.

Yeah, so I came to the dread realization that we are probably not going to see any money any time soon when I took a look at this months deposit in my bank account. It was the same ole same. Somebody should write to the man and tell him to stop keeping us down.

Wrong bill. The Senate passed H.R.5631 (Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2007) today. The bill that will raise the HPSP scholarship is H.R.5122 (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007). I could not find anything in the former about HPSP.

Ditto. I went to thomas.loc.gov and downloaded the pdf version of the act, did a word serach for "scholarship" and found nothing. Did a word search on "health" and found nothing related to HPSP. I'm no expert on the legislative process, but why do I get the feeling we all just got screwed?

Don't freak out just yet. The actual wording for the stipend increase is actually in a senate bill that was supposed to be added as an amendment, S. 2766 i believe, so don't freak that the wording isn't in H.R. 5122. I was starting to think that we would have to wait a while since there hasn't been any action since the committe made its report, but just this afternoon the house agreed to report. The addition of the entire senate bill was in question, so individual committes from both the house and senate met to discuss what should stay and what should go (luckily for us, I'm pretty sure the stipend increase wasn't one of the contested points). They all made their report, and the house passed in agreement of the report. I'm no politician, but my interpretation is that they like the suggestions of the committes, and will move to vote on the bill soon, with the senate soon to follow. Hopefully they'll push it through at the last minute! I could really use the extra money.

keep hope alive. hr5122 is not dead. it is a seperate bill

Yeah, so I came to the dread realization that we are probably not going to see any money any time soon when I took a look at this months deposit in my bank account. It was the same ole same. Somebody should write to the man and tell him to stop keeping us down.

Your salary this month is no indication of the legislation before Congress. As others on this board have mentioned, any increases would not come into effect until October of 2007. You've got to wait for another year before complaining about the man.

Your salary this month is no indication of the legislation before Congress. As others on this board have mentioned, any increases would not come into effect until October of 2007. You've got to wait for another year before complaining about the man.

Is the bill for FY2007 or calendar-year 2007? A fiscal year is a bit different from a calendar year. FY2007 is the period from October 1, 2006 - September 30, 2007; thus, we just finished FY2006. The actual number is the year in which the FY ends. A bit stupid huh?

I don't think it to be necessary that any stipend increase for FY2007 actually start at the beginning of the fiscal year. More than likely, it will happen later and hopefully be retroactive.

Unless the government's definition of a fiscal year is different from everyone else's, we should see an increase well before 10/2007.

I got emailed early this morning that the committee has agreed to increase the HPSP stipend. But the exact amount, and when are unknown at this point. I have two documents that everyone needs to read. I was sent the documents, and don't know their HTTP addresses, so I will post them on my personal webpage, and let you all see them. peace. "we're in the money!"

Haha, you're on his mailing list too. I didn't think anyone else from our school was on here. I'm workin on readin em now even though I should be doing my neuro... I'll let you know what it means once I get done with it.

highlights from the first document

" Authorized the detail of up to 25 commissioned officers in each military department as students at medical schools.
- Approved an increase in the maximum amount of repayment from $22,000 to $60,000 under educational loan repayment for officers in certain health professions.
- Authorized an increase in benefits under the Health Professions Scholarship program and Financial Assistance Program.
- Expanded the eligibility of dental officers for additional special pay.
- Approved an increase in the maximum annual rate of special pay for Selected Reserve health care professionals in critically short wartime specialties.
- Enhanced accession bonus authorities for dental officers and medical officers in critically short wartime specialties. "

the second document, and what I feel is the more important document didn't say anything about HPSP.

If that is the full committee report...then I think that we may be in trouble. I didn't read a single peace of concrete evidence that there will be an HSPS stipend increase. How about you all?

Well, not a whole lot of new info in the report and press release. For all who are too lazy to look at the documents, heres what they say in a nutshell.

-Increase in special pay for certain in demand wartime specialties from 10,000 to 25,000 a year
-2 year pilot program for HPSP with "additional financial incentives" for up to five wartime specialties: Your bet is as good as mine. There's no specifics, but apparently it sucks to be in one of the not in demand specialties. Hopefully these incentives are what were originally stated in the senate bill, and limiting it to certain specialties was their way of trimming some fat.
-25 officers from each branch are allowed to go to med school: Now, they can already do that, but the deal is they have to get demoted and get the stipend like everyone else, which is one hell of a paycut. I'm assuming that this means that they will be allowed to keep their pay and paygrade while in school and not have to start over again.
-Loan repayment increase from 22,000 to 60,000 for some in demand specialties.

That's all that is in there so far, hopefully by the time it makes it to the white house, there will be a little more specific information flaoting around. Sucks to be going into a non-wartime specialty, rocks to be headed into one! (until I get shipped off of course)

Well, not a whole lot of new info in the report and press release. For all who are too lazy to look at the documents, heres what they say in a nutshell.

-Increase in special pay for certain in demand wartime specialties from 10,000 to 25,000 a year
-2 year pilot program for HPSP with "additional financial incentives" for up to five wartime specialties: Your bet is as good as mine. There's no specifics, but apparently it sucks to be in one of the not in demand specialties. Hopefully these incentives are what were originally stated in the senate bill, and limiting it to certain specialties was their way of trimming some fat.
-25 officers from each branch are allowed to go to med school: Now, they can already do that, but the deal is they have to get demoted and get the stipend like everyone else, which is one hell of a paycut. I'm assuming that this means that they will be allowed to keep their pay and paygrade while in school and not have to start over again.
-Loan repayment increase from 22,000 to 60,000 for some in demand specialties.

That's all that is in there so far, hopefully by the time it makes it to the white house, there will be a little more specific information flaoting around. Sucks to be going into a non-wartime specialty, rocks to be headed into one! (until I get shipped off of course)

What are they considering "in-demand specialties", do you think? My first thoughts are for ortho, gas, and gen surg.

You might want to correct the URLs given out. If folks can't click on links, many get frustrated and go away. I have been astounded recently by a highly educated non-physician professional who claims complete inability to cut and paste into his browser's address box, or type a URL manually, no matter how short it might be.

FWIW, as a public service, here are the correct, clickable URLs:

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/wolfpac/document1.pdf
http://www.angelfire.com/on2/wolfpac/document2.pdf

HTH,

--
R

wow...do you treat your patients with the same condescending attitude?

I just looked at those documents. Thanks for posting them, by the way. It looks to me like good news. I could be wrong, but I really dont thing the financial assistance for war-time specialties applies to the HPSP scholarship. I think this assistance comes in the form of loan repayment. It would be a little difficult to assign a student to a specialty. I think the important thing for us (assuming that we are mostly students) is the first document where it allows for an increase in benefits under the HPSP.

Also, these increases were in the budget for the 2007 fiscal year, so I wouldn't think we should have to wait until next october.

Just my two cents

What are they considering "in-demand specialties", do you think? My first thoughts are for ortho, gas, and gen surg.

From what I've gathered, EM, FP, Ortho, and gen surg, I'm not sure what they would consider other ones to be though, all depends on the times. Like now, probably the number one would be ortho ever since the widespread use of body armor has eliminated most minor wounds to the thorax, leaving only the limbs. But, things can always change.

MedicalCorpse, I think you need to stop and just read what you're writing...

You know those people who are good at one thing in their lives, and they think that they are above everyone else? That's you. It's quite childish. So you know how to paste a link... cool. You are truly a man among boys. Now just go about your business. We were actually having a good talk about the topic of the thread before you went and got stupid.

Just play nice, k big guy?

MedicalCorpse, I think you need to stop and just read what you're writing...

Just play nice, k big guy?

I was just trying to help. The links were broken. They are now fixed.
You are welcome.

--
R

I think we're on solid ground for the stipend increase. The wording says that they've "Authorized an increase in benefits under the Health Professions Scholarship Program and Financial Assistance Program," which is almost verbatum the title of section 564 of H.R. 5122, "Increase in benefits under Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Programs." I mean, we'd all like to see it say $30,000 but there's no reason to think it changed. It was authorized. That's what we needed to hear.

I think we're on solid ground for the stipend increase. The wording says that they've "Authorized an increase in benefits under the Health Professions Scholarship Program and Financial Assistance Program," which is almost verbatum the title of section 564 of H.R. 5122, "Increase in benefits under Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Programs." I mean, we'd all like to see it say $30,000 but there's no reason to think it changed. It was authorized. That's what we needed to hear.

While the authorization exists, the appropriations bill did not give any money for an increase in stipend. No money for a bonus, no money for an increase in stipend. I guess it will require some creative budgeting.

While the authorization exists, the appropriations bill did not give any money for an increase in stipend. No money for a bonus, no money for an increase in stipend. I guess it will require some creative budgeting.

Yep, missiles for a war are more important than you're getting richer while in school.

Yep, missiles for a war are more important than you're getting richer while in school.
$30,000/ year. . . that's a curious use of the word "richer." I think what you meant was "paying the bills" in medical school. Richer would imply that one was rich to begin with. You are right, though, about our soldiers needing the money more right now.

richer? in order to get richer...don't you have to be rich? I don't know about the rest of you...but I am scraping by on my $1300 a month. A stipend increase would be weight off of my shoulders.

I got emailed early this morning that the committee has agreed to increase the HPSP stipend. But the exact amount, and when are unknown at this point. I have two documents that everyone needs to read. I was sent the documents, and don't know their HTTP addresses, so I will post them on my personal webpage, and let you all see them. peace. "we're in the money!"

All right, I am going to settle this once and for all. No one cares about the NDAA (authorization act). It all depends on the amount of money the appropriations bill gives...... And the answer is?????? 2.2 percent.

So next July you will see a 2.2% raise in HPSP stipend. Forget about the $2600. Won't happen. Period.

Any questions?????????

All right, I am going to settle this once and for all. No one cares about the NDAA (authorization act). It all depends on the amount of money the appropriations bill gives...... And the answer is?????? 2.2 percent.

So next July you will see a 2.2% raise in HPSP stipend. Forget about the $2600. Won't happen. Period.

Any questions?????????

Yes, I have a question. Can we see your source? I'm sure this is not just your opinion, is it?

Any questions?????????

Question #1: Did you check your facts? The appropriations committees have approved the bill. Reference? Well, the appropriations comittees:
House: http://appropriations.house.gov/
Senate: http://appropriations.senate.gov/

How do you think this thing got sent to the White House without having gone through appropriations? :rolleyes:

I read the information on the link and I am pretty sure that the 2.2% pay raise is for military personnel in general. They get a pay raise every year and this year they are saying it will be 2.2%. I did not read the whole thing because I do not have a lot of time but I did not see anything that mentioned the increase in HPSP stipend. Of course we will get annual increases because that takes into account cost of living increases. I am pretty sure the revamp of the HPSP stipend would be mentioned separately.

Yes, I have a question. Can we see your source? I'm sure this is not just your opinion, is it?

The Comptroller (accountant) for Navy HPSP is a friend of mine. When all this talk started up, I asked him about the bonus and stipend increase. He told me that Navy HPSP is getting $31M in funds for FY07 that are used for stipend, ATs, and potential bonuses. Considering there are approx. 1100 Navy HPSP students x $30K (authorized max stipend) = $33M

$33M>$31M and they still need money for funding clerkships and school orders.

So there is not enough money in the budget for it. They are asking for additional funding for the bonus, but there is yet to be funding available for it.

The 2.2% is the amount of increase in military pay and that is what the increase in stipend is based on. That happens every July.

That is where I am getting my information.

Fair enough, NavyFP. Do you have any idea when they are supposed to hear back about the additional fuding they are requesting?

Fair enough, NavyFP. Do you have any idea when they are supposed to hear back about the additional fuding they are requesting?

It will be from GWOT funding, probably Feb/Mar timeframe.