Active Duty Pay vs Monthly Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much more you make during your active duty tours in medical school when compared to your monthly stipend? I have searched but cannot seem to find this information. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1582261684031.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! How does this work with commissioned officer training since you would not need housing during this time? Would I only receive base pay and subsistence?
You’ll get BAH while on ADT. I got it at BOLC and DCC even though we were provided with housing.

Does anybody know what the exact monthly stipend would be after taxes are taken out?

There are many factors affecting net pay. Estimate: 85% of base pay plus allowances if you do not pay into a traditional TSP or use other pre-tax instruments. State taxes are the biggest wild card.

Did you have dependents? I forgot to mention that adds BAH. If not, I need to figure out how to get that back pay!
No, I’m dual military. My spouse claims our kids. Everybody got BAH regardless of dependents or not.

There are many factors affecting net pay. Estimate: 85% of base pay plus allowances if you do not pay into a traditional TSP or use other pre-tax instruments. State taxes are the biggest wild card.
So I’m from Florida and recieved the Air Force HPSP there but I will be going to school in Alabama. Will my state taxes be based on Florida or Alabama?

So I’m from Florida and recieved the Air Force HPSP there but I will be going to school in Alabama. Will my state taxes be based on Florida or Alabama?
What is you military home of record for tax purposes? (There is a form for that)

Reactions: 1 user
Then it should be florida
That’s awesome, that’ll save me a decent amount of money since Alabama taxes are horrid. I’m going to check with my recruiter tomorrow just to make sure but that sounds right

Then it should be florida
So to reiterate my state income tax should be based on Florida and not Alabama which is where I’ll be going to school? I apologize for being a noob at life lol

So to reiterate my state income tax should be based on Florida and not Alabama which is where I’ll be going to school? I apologize for being a noob at life lol
Military can leave their income tax home in a prior state. It’s a niche portion of tax law, talk to an acct

Reactions: 1 user
Military can leave their income tax home in a prior state. It’s a niche portion of tax law, talk to an acct
Since Florida doesn’t have a state tax, do I just subtract my federal tax rate which would be 12%, from the stipend and bonus to determine what I’ll likely be receiving?