Army Stipend pay after commissioning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_okay

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the reserves (MDSSP) and don't know much about what is going on past the benefits. I have read a few posts and it has only increased the amount of questions I have. I started my process in January 2019 and I just commissioned (raise right hand, I _______solemnly swear, etc.) on June 5th, 2020. With all paperwork supposedly submitted by my recruiter on June 8th, 2020.

My questions:
  1. How long did it take everyone to get their stipend pay after commissioning (roughly how many weeks or months)?
    • Because I'm in a tight spot financially and it would be very nice to get my hands on that stipend pay as soon as possible. I commissioned on June 5th 2020, and it is July 19th, 2020 and I am still waiting.
  2. I feel as if I do not get a lot of information through my recruiter. I was wondering if there was another way I can get information about things that are going on with my application without going through my recruiter?
  3. Since I commissioned in June and not after July 1st will I be responsible for an additional year even though out of the 1st 6 months of the year I will only be paid for the June?
    • For example, in my case, I have 3 more years of school (Fall 2020 till Spring 2023). I commissioned in June of 2020. Will I be responsible to pay back 7 years or 6 years?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you were ready to sign up? Delays are the normal in the military. Expect months to get simple problems answered.

Your recruiters job was to get you to sign up, after that they look for other people to sign up. You need to get in contact with your unit. There are many reasons why your pay could be delayed. It could be just normal processing or you missed filling out a form or whoevers job it was didn't put your information in the system. I recommend getting onboarded to your unit and making sure everything is set up right. You also need to make sure you are doing your monthly drill or dd1380 while in MDSSP or you will become a non-participant. That gives you an extra 500-650 pay a month as well.