Step 2 CK Scores and GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PAPete

Hi, real quick question: How important is a Step 2 CK score for matching into GI fellowship? I've read about other factors that are much more important (research, letters, etc.), but I'm curious about this in particular.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not very, is what I hear from Gi fellows. But if your scores aren't that outstanding, you'd better be making it up with other outstanding things (like RESEARCH). I hear it over and over again--significant research is very important, and trumps board scores when it comes to fellowships. Of course, when you think about it, though, where do good research projects come from? Great residency programs/institutions. And how does one get into good residency programs? Via good board scores. :) Heh, so in a way step scores do factor.

I forgot to add: connections probably matter most.

i agree with scores and research but dont think connections matter a lot as go up in the field.. only 2-3 GI fellowship spots per program and i think they would want to take the best.. not just connected ones..

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with scores and research but dont think connections matter a lot as go up in the field.. only 2-3 GI fellowship spots per program and i think they would want to take the best.. not just connected ones..

However, it's not always easy to pick out the "best" residents. Given #applicants >>> #spots, programs can easily find quality applicants to fill their openings. This is especially the case for those applying to clinical educator tracks. What does a PD go by then? Step III scores? LORs? These all look fairly similar from one applicant to the next. Often applicants stand out by the IM program they come from and who is endorsing them. I think connections can help seal the deal, of course assuming that you meet the minimum academic qualities for a particular fellowship program.

For those applying to research track, however, the quality of your research is going to be key. These applicants tend to appear less homogenous than those applying to clinical educator tracks. I can see how quality of research may outweigh connections in this situation.

However, it's not always easy to pick out the "best" residents. Given #applicants >>> #spots, programs can easily find quality applicants to fill their openings. This is especially the case for those applying to clinical educator tracks. What does a PD go by then? Step III scores? LORs? These all look fairly similar from one applicant to the next. Often applicants stand out by the IM program they come from and who is endorsing them. I think connections can help seal the deal, of course assuming that you meet the minimum academic qualities for a particular fellowship program.

For those applying to research track, however, the quality of your research is going to be key. These applicants tend to appear less homogenous than those applying to clinical educator tracks. I can see how quality of research may outweigh connections in this situation.

Do step 1 scores matter at all? Do you even submit those?

so, having your lor writers give a call to pd might be useful!? when is the best time for the same. And shd it be on the interview day or near match time ?

Do step 1 scores matter at all? Do you even submit those?
You submit all step scores. It's like residency application. You authorize USMLE to send score report, and every Step you've taken will be on there.

so, having your lor writers give a call to pd might be useful!? when is the best time for the same. And shd it be on the interview day or near match time ?

It may, but it's best if they know each other. It can be at any time, but probably best near RANKING time since you probably shouldn't bother your letter writters to call every place you've interviewed.

Last edited:
Hey guys! So i just finished interviews for internal medicine and ive begun to start liking GI as a possible fellowship in the future. My top programs that I like and interviewed at are:
Baylor
Case Western university hospitals
INdiana
Ohio State
Uni of Maryland
USoCal
RUSH
U Minn
U Mass

Could you guys shed some light as to which ones I would have a good chance in to get into a GI fellowship