state contracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupolovet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from NJ and know that the state buys several contracts in certain vet schools, but I was wondering when we are alerted if we are going to receive a contract and how we would find out. If anyone can help me out please let me know, and if other nj applicants want to say hello feel free to do so as well since it is always nice to meet others from the great state of New Jersey.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from NJ and know that the state buys several contracts in certain vet schools, but I was wondering when we are alerted if we are going to receive a contract and how we would find out. If anyone can help me out please let me know, and if other nj applicants want to say hello feel free to do so as well since it is always nice to meet others from the great state of New Jersey.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Jersey no longer has contracts with schools (at least not with Penn or Cornell and those were the schools with the most contracts). That whole budget fiasco a few years ago really messed everything up. Good luck!

Thanks for responding. I was recently told by a vet student friend of mine that they were restored. I guess he was mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do know that Tufts has a contract with NJ. Here is a link to their website stating so: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/admissions/tuition.html

Does being in a contract state mean that you have any more of a chance of getting in? I have always wondered about that. I know they give you money if you are accepted and demonstrate financial need but what does it help to have a contract if people from certain states apply and never get in? A lot of years Tufts does not admit people from certain states at all, even ones who have contracts with them, and I assume people were applying.

Although it is true NJ doesn't currently contract with any schools because of the budget fiasco, you won't know if they contract until the new budget passes in July.

Just as a side note, a lot of people think that the contract seats are more for admissions purposes, but this is not true. NJ residents are put into the out of state applicant pool, and out of the NJ residents who have matriculated, they decide who gets the contract seats when you get there.

In case you care, currently half of the funding for the contract seats has been restored. To my understanding, this year they did not give any new contracts but continued to fund those who already had a contract from earlier years.

So do contract state residents have essentially state resident status or are they in the pool with the OOS applicants?

So do contract state residents have essentially state resident status or are they in the pool with the OOS applicants?

They are put in the OOS pool. A contract seat just means your state will pay for part of your tuition.

What about WICHE? None of this applies to me, so I never bothered to figure it out. But I'm curious.

Hey I'm from NJ too! I heard that we had lost most of our contracts (at least for this year). I also heard that we till have contracts at Tufts, Tuskegee, Georgia and I think Iowa or Illinois? It doesn't really help me bc I will probably be going to Ohio (which used to have contracts lol). Good luck I hope all works out for you!

I've was told at every college open house I went to (way back when) that New Jersey residents had it tough because they had no Vet school, but did have about 100 contract seats. It would be very competitive!
Well, due to budget cuts, they lost all but the seats listed below. :(

The list of participating veterinary schools can change as contracts are reviewed. As of this date (August 2007), the following schools participate:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]NJ Veterinary Contract Colleges.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]as of August 2007 (8 contract seats).
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tuskegee Institute (Alabama).
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tufts University (Massachusetts).
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oklahoma State University.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Former participants in the Contract Program.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]not participating as of August 2007.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]University of Illinois.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Iowa State University.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Cornell University (New York).
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ohio State University.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]University of Pennsylvania .