Program-Specific Info / Q's Springfield College 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MassOT17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Springfield last Friday about my application going through to the second round and needing to pay a $50 fee for them to pass through my application. Does anyone know how many of the people who receive this email actually get accepted into the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received that email today. I would like to know the answer to this as well.... how is it okay for colleges to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have the same problem. I'm not sure how an OT school can ethically ask this of applicants. Seems totally against the philosophy of the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, Springfield takes the majority from their undergrad program leaving just a few open spots for anyone else. I've even looked at past FB groups and it seems to be true. If you're really interested in attending and haven't been accepted anywhere else, I would go through with it and see what happens. But if you're not serious about it, then it's probably not worth it. I agree that it's messed up...I haven't seen any other school do this!

Does anyone know total tuition? I'm trying to compare costs (tuition and living expenses).

That is actually not true about the undergrads. The undergraduate students in the program were admitted as freshman and merge with the entry level grads during their senior year as long as they maintain their GPA. Therefore, they do not take up any spots from the entry level students. There are about 25-35 spots open to entry level graduate students to be accepted. The program total, including undergrad and grad is about 45-50 students. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed Springfield College a few questions and Anne Griffin got back to me. (The bold is my question)

"Thank you for your follow-up. Please see my responses below.
1.) How many students will be accepted and waitlisted for the fall? We will enroll 20-22 students this fall and it is too soon to determine if we will move to a waitlist or not.
2.) Is the cohort filled with mostly Springfield College students or from first time applicants, such as myself? The cohort of 20-22 newly entering graduate students will meet the rising cohort of 20-25 students who were admitted into the accelerated freshman entry dual degree bachelors/master's degree program. Of the newly entering graduate students a handful may be coming from Springfield College majors not part of the dual degree program.
3.) Lastly, how many students typically get past this first round of the application process? What is the additional $50 fee used for? We only request the fee from students who are truly being considered after a preliminary review that assesses academic standing, progress/pre-requisites, and previous experience in the field. The purpose of the fee is not to deter students but to solidify their applications with our specific institution. Please note that institutions do not benefit from the fee you initially paid to OTCAS."

Does anyone know when they are going to start sending out acceptances/rejections?

Has anyone heard back yet?

Last edited:
Got my acceptance letter in the mail!!

Reactions: 4 users
I got my acceptance yesterday via mail! They are in my top 3 schools. Does anyone know the cost of tuition there? I am having trouble nailing down a number from their website. Also- I am not from that area. Does anyone have any tips on cost of living and/or general information? :)

I got my acceptance yesterday via mail! They are in my top 3 schools. Does anyone know the cost of tuition there? I am having trouble nailing down a number from their website. Also- I am not from that area. Does anyone have any tips on cost of living and/or general information? :)
Congrats! Total tuition is about 80k. I'm still waiting on my letter. I'm from Ohio so if I get in I will have to look for a place so I'm not sure about housing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got asked to pay the 50$ fee on Feb 10th. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got in, too! Letter came end of last week but they sent it to my parents address which is strange.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats kimmie! Will you be attending

Not sure at this stage- still waiting on 2 other schools and I'm on 2 other waitlists. Hopefully it will be more clear within the next few weeks!

I also received an acceptance letter in the mail today at my parents' address. Very strange since I don't remember putting it down anywhere on the application.

I also received an acceptance letter in the mail today at my parents' address. Very strange since I don't remember putting it down anywhere on the application.
---------
Same! There I was all worried meanwhile its sitting at my parents house..

Has anyone heard back? After receiving the email that they never received my supplementary application fee (which I sent), I contacted them and no one has gotten back to me yet.

Has anyone heard back? After receiving the email that they never received my supplementary application fee (which I sent), I contacted them and no one has gotten back to me yet.
I was rejected march 22 via email .

You need to contact the OT program immediately. This happened to me and there was "a clerical error" in graduate admissions. I don't know if this happened with your application, but mine never even made it to the OT department. Good luck.

If I start a Facebook group would anyone be interested in joining so we can get to know each other before the program starts?

I would also be interested :) I think they may set one up for the upcoming class as well!

Hi, I found a page that Kathy set up a while back that includes new, current, & former students on fb. It is a closed group that you request to join & Kathy approves it. The page is called "SC OT Incoming Grad Students"

Are there any students who currently attend? I recently got accepted and would love to hear about your experiences, on/off campus housing, etc.!!