**Southern Illinois University** MEDPREP! Anybody been through or know about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To the new MEDPREP class,

I am very interested in applying to the MEDPREP at SIU. I was wondering if u could share the qualifications u had to get into the program?

Members don't see this ad.

To the new MEDPREP class,

I am very interested in applying to the MEDPREP at SIU. I was wondering if u could share the qualifications u had to get into the program?

MEDPREP received my application this week. I am applying for the 2010 cycle. Are you predental or premed? You can check their website for more infor but I believe you have to be a disadvantaged student and have taken all or most of your prequisites for med or dental school. MEDPREP is supposed to help you increase your gpa and mcat or dat scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heading down to Carbondale next month for the interview?

TO ALL MEDPREP ALUMNI: How did you all prepare for the interview? I am a bit nervous. Am currently revising biology, chemistry topics in my kaplan lesson book, and also reading some verbal passages. Is that enough to see me through the interview test?

Any advice/ words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!!:)

New found love = SDN!!!:love:

What day are you interviewing, i'm thinking Friday for me!

for those of you who've been getting in, are you socioeconomically disadvantaged? is it worth it to apply even though i'm an asian male from NY?

it's a costly program, so if you're socioeconomically disadvantaged, you have a chance, but you may want to consider one closer to NY, but then again, it's free to apply essentially it doesn't hurt to try

TO ALL MEDPREP ALUMNI: How did you all prepare for the interview? I am a bit nervous. Am currently revising biology, chemistry topics in my kaplan lesson book, and also reading some verbal passages. Is that enough to see me through the interview test?

To anyone curious about the program:

I am a former MEDPREP student and I STRONGLY advocate any student that has struggled to enter medical/dental school to apply. It is an excellent program whose primary focus is to develop each student both academically and personally. There is extensive MCAT preparation along with courses to better prepare students once they enter professional school! As far as the interview, BE YOURSELF! There is NO need to study Kaplan material or any extensive material at this time; this will come once you are accepted into the program. Treat this interview similar to an interview for medical/dental school by being aware of what you spoke of in your application and be able to speak to why you want to go into the healthcare profession! MEDPREP has a proven track record of getting students into medical school, thus it is TOTALLY worth the trip to Carbondale ! If you have any other questions, feel free to reply or message me :) BEST OF LUCK!!!

BTW I am new to SDN... I don't have this system completely figured out.. bare with me

^Do you have a general idea of the average stats of students who were accepted into the program? What was your stats?

For anyone who has an interview, what were you stats if you don't mind telling?

Congrats to those who have gotten an interview. I am currently doing my 2nd year at MEDPREP and could not be happier with all the success I have had coming here. It is a great program that truly helps you get to where you want to go. I haven't really gotten to read most of the earlier posts but if anyone has any questions about MEDPREP, feel free to ask. Good luck!!

To anyone curious about the program:

I am a former MEDPREP student and I STRONGLY advocate any student that has struggled to enter medical/dental school to apply. It is an excellent program whose primary focus is to develop each student both academically and personally. There is extensive MCAT preparation along with courses to better prepare students once they enter professional school! As far as the interview, BE YOURSELF! There is NO need to study Kaplan material or any extensive material at this time; this will come once you are accepted into the program. Treat this interview similar to an interview for medical/dental school by being aware of what you spoke of in your application and be able to speak to why you want to go into the healthcare profession! MEDPREP has a proven track record of getting students into medical school, thus it is TOTALLY worth the trip to Carbondale ! If you have any other questions, feel free to reply or message me :) BEST OF LUCK!!!

BTW I am new to SDN... I don't have this system completely figured out.. bare with me

Thank you so much everyone! Am sure we all [MEDPREP 2011 Prospective students] need it all the advice we can get:)

Will pm [message] you guys with more questions as they come up!! or better yet, post them here so everyone can see it!

Goodluck to my fellow interviewee :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

DOC4MBA5, don't stress out too much about the interview, they really try to make you feel comfortable. I'll be honest, I did not review any MCAT topics for the admissions day exams. They really just want to know where you are in these topics. Just make sure you know your application inside and out, make sure you know how MEDPREP works and have questions prepared for your interviewees. Treat it as a medical school interview, where it is really a two-way process. They are interviewing you but you should also interview them to see how good of a match you are with the program. The interviews are really relaxed. In one of them, I was interviewed by the program director and for the first 10 minutes, we spoke about my hobbies and my time in my undergraduate institution. Really, it was not bad at all. Be confident and you will do great! All the best of luck! If you have more questions, ill do my best to answer them to best of my knowledge.

Hi everyone!

I was also recently invited to attend admissions day for medprep and i can't wait to meet all who are going!:) But for those in the program already or alum, how long is the testing going to be and will it be multiple choice type questions or what exactly can I do to prepare! I know in a previous post, one person said it's not necessary to review material, but I am tempted to do so just in case I don't remember some science concepts! Is it really to just determine where u are or is it going to play a big role in the final decision?

Oh yeah and for those of you coming from out of state, are you flying into the st. louis airport (i was told this was the closest..just wanted to make sure)

thanks so much!

Hi everyone!

I was also recently invited to attend admissions day for medprep and i can't wait to meet all who are going!:) But for those in the program already or alum, how long is the testing going to be and will it be multiple choice type questions or what exactly can I do to prepare! I know in a previous post, one person said it's not necessary to review material, but I am tempted to do so just in case I don't remember some science concepts! Is it really to just determine where u are or is it going to play a big role in the final decision?

Oh yeah and for those of you coming from out of state, are you flying into the st. louis airport (i was told this was the closest..just wanted to make sure)

thanks so much!

1st of all! Thank you NDGRAD09!:) Am sure I and all other prospective students are very grateful for this.

Plzhelpme asked an important question, "Is it really to just determine where u are or is it going to play a big role in the final decision?" and "will it be multiple choice type questions"?

Hey Plzhelp me, yes I am flying in to Lambert-St Louis Intl (STL). However, I don't know my how to commute from the airport to my hotel. Am hoping to find out when I get there.

As far as I can remember, the exams are multiple choice. You'll get a gen. chem, organic chem, and a bio. There is also vocab test that tests you're level of vocabulary (super easy). Lastly, there is a final exam that tests your cognitive abilities. If anyone is more important, I'd say its that one because you'll take it again at the end of your first summer in MEDPREP to see your cognitive development. Like I said, they have little to no weight in the final decision. If it helps to reassure anyone, I bombed my general chemistry one and I still got in. Focus more on the interview portion. That is your time to shine.

In response to DOC4MBA5, I am flying into St. louis airport too, and I was told that we could take Bart transportation if we do not have our own ride. (its like a 2 hour ride to Carbondale they say). Also, they said that you would have to reserve a seat if you take Bart and it's like $60)

and Thanks for the advice NDgrad09!

Do we get a reply about confirming our interview day/interview times? I haven't heard anything yet back

Hey sumofatman,

I did get a confirmation about what admissions day I signed up for but I did not get an interview time in that confirmation. They may just give us a schedule or something the day of the interview and testing. Which day are you attending?

MEDPREP
I am interviewing at MEDPREP SIUC Thursday the 4th and Friday the 5th (actual admissions day). I live in St. Louis and will be driving down to Carbondale. I have a car and wanted to offer a ride to anyone who would be interested. I could pick anyone up from the airport or surrounding St. Louis hotels if needed and drop back off in St. Louis Friday. It is around a 2 hour drive to Carbondale (I have been there on several different occasions and have visited Wheeler hall. Ok good luck everyone! I hope to be your classmate next year! Also, you can reach me at [email protected] if interested in car pooling.

Hello again everyone!
Just a quick shout-out. For those interviewing next week, make sure to go to the Wrap Sessions and Admissions Day Wrap-Up Dinners after all of your Admissions Day activities. This is a great time to ask current MEDPREPers about anything, and I mean anything! Housing, social life, what is carbondale, teachers, classes, etc. I will personally be in the wrap session panel on the Friday Session, so if you're interviewing that day, let me know. Just remember my SDN username and you'll know who I am. Good luck everyone!

Thanks to all MEDPREP current students and alumni who've helped us [interviewees] here. We really do appreciate your kind words of encouragement and advice. ::like Elvis would say it:: "Thank you, Thank you very much" :laugh:

To my fellow interviewees: LET'S DO THIS!!!:zip:

Well put Doc4MBA5 it was very nice to have the current students at admissions day. They were very helpful in fielding questions and just getting a vibe for the program. It was a good experience and I wish everyone a part of MEDPREP and applying to MEDPREP best of luck in all future endeavors!!!!

I interviewed on Monday 11/08/2010. Most of my fellow interviewees did not know about SDN :confused: WOW!! oh well...

The professors made me feel very very comfortable and the MEDPREP students were so kind and gave very important advice [which I incorporated into my interview response]

And you know what they say...Anticipation is the worst part. Have to wait till December to find out the results AH! Best of luck to everyone!!:thumbup:

Will keep you all posted on my status :)

Been over a month! man this wait is almost killing me :p I hope everyone is doing well! Happy Holidays!

Well, I am on the high alternate list, so I am not sure as to what will happen later on in May. They said 10 were chosen and 7 people were put on the high alternate list.

Ah the agony to be in the middle! Anyway, I am thankful and enjoyed my experience at Medprep and trust God to determine what will happen next!

Good luck to everyone else!

:(I completely understand how you feel Plzhelpme. I'm also on the high alternate list. That really sucks! But hey! Time to explore other options.

If by his grace things change in May, well! I'll take the offer. But right now, I can't sit and fold my arms hoping it'll pan out that way.

Best of luck to my fellow high alternates! and to all those who got into the program, YOU DID IT!:thumbup:

Yes, your defintely right, I am still going to continue to explore my other options as well. Congrats to all that did make it and best wishes for everyone in their endeavors to medical school!

Much love and God Bless!

^ I am. Nope, nothing yet. According to the email Layla sent they will review apps till early February or so...

Yeah...I get the feeling that they must have a lot of applications. I wonder how many of those they interview and what percentage they end up accepting. If you sent yours that early, you probably have a high chance of at least an interview IMO.

Also, it seems like people hear back relatively early about interviews, like, 2 weeks after submission of their applications. So, I think sometime next week or the week after that we should hear something. Are you from Illinois?

I haven't received any correspondence regarding a MEDPREP interview invite.....wondering if anyone has? My complete letter from SIU said we should here something this week.

Hello,
I received an email on Monday afternoon saying I was invited to admissions day. I will be going up there on next Sunday the 20th, for an interview on the 21st.

Yeah, they sent interview invites out on Monday of this week. But some people probably will not accept those, so I would not lose hope.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else got an invite for admissions day? what day are you going? :)

I picked March 4th, but never got any confirmation.

I am going on march 4 too. :) and I did not get a confirmation either. I tried calling just to confirm, but they never answered.

I got an email today confirming March 4th...just wait and they will email you. They let some people know relatively early so I don't know what kind of system they've got going on.

Has anyone gone through the interviews for cycle 2 yet? If so, what should we expect?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Hey I know it has been awhile since you cam through medprep. I would like to ask you a few questions. Do you have any housing recommendations? Are you in med school now? Were there non-traditional students in your class (over 25)? Do you feel that medprep prepared you for the mcat?

I am very interested in applying to this program... anyone have any comments on what should be expected for the entire process (applications through program completion and beyond if possible)?... thanks in advance

I'm also applying for the 2012 school year. I heard it's a good but competitive program. Any advice?

Hi,

I also applied for the MEDPREP at SIU around August but I have not heard anything from them. The only letter that I received from the program was a confirmation stating that my application is complete. Please I would like to know if anyone has heard anything for the 2012 cycle.

Hi,

I also applied for the MEDPREP at SIU around August but I have not heard anything from them. The only letter that I received from the program was a confirmation stating that my application is complete. Please I would like to know if anyone has heard anything for the 2012 cycle.

I emailed the program last week and they are aiming to have admission days on the 28th and 31st so we should hear something soon. Hope this helps!! GOODLUCK