Upstate MedPrep 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HRS2035

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I wanted to start a thread for this cycle for all who have applied. How's everyone doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I have also applied for this cycle. I'm feeling nervous but excited. How are you doing?

Hi there, I have also applied for this cycle. I'm feeling nervous but excited. How are you doing?
Feeling nervous and praying to hear back soon haha. Do you know when we could expect to start hearing back about interviews? They mentioned they send out decisions pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feeling nervous and praying to hear back soon haha. Do you know when we could expect to start hearing back about interviews? They mentioned they send out decisions pretty quickly.
I have no clue when either. I also heard that interview invites were sent in a week or two but I haven't heard anything yet. I have been searching the web for some answers with no luck haha. But if you would like please keep me updated. I hope we get in!!! :)

I have no clue when either. I also heard that interview invites were sent in a week or two but I haven't heard anything yet. I have been searching the web for some answers with no luck haha. But if you would like please keep me updated. I hope we get in!!! :)
I have been doing the same haha, with no luck. I'll definitely keep you updated if I hear or learn anything!

Hello,

I've been searching for updates as well. Hoping we get some good news soon. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied, and I am hoping to hear something soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything yet?

• Sad
Everyone check your MyUpstate accounts! I'm very blessed to have received an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
My portal says the application is complete, but nothing else is there. Is there a link to check the status?

Hello everyone, my interview is also on the 22nd!! Goodluck, I hope you guys ace the interviews and for others to hear back soon. Also, does anyone know how the MMI on zoom would look? Is there a chance that we could be asked about current bioethics or healthcare issues?

Hello everyone, my interview is also on the 22nd!! Goodluck, I hope you guys ace the interviews and for others to hear back soon. Also, does anyone know how the MMI on zoom would look? Is there a chance that we could be asked about current bioethics or healthcare issues?
I think bioethics questions and traditional questions

I think bioethics questions and traditional questions

I also think that New York residents get a priority pick first before out of state. I remember asking this question and they said yes that is true. I am from California and I am still waiting to hear back.

Ahh possibly they are doing New York residents first because I am from New York.

That's what I was possibly thinking. I am from NY as well.

Me too. I just received one saying that I was denied. Good luck to every one that got interview as well to those who did not.

• Care
Anyone else missed the meet and greet? The time listed was wrong on mine

I missed it. I was really looking forward to attending. When do you think they would notify us about being accepted.
Not a clue. If anyone attended the meet and greet and could share some of the info that would be great

Yes, the meet and greet was in the format of applicants asking questions to some of the MedPrep students and Dr.Glass (some were in medical school and some have just finished up the program).

The questions asked were mainly on how classes would go Fall and Spring semesters, how was the relationship between staff and students, to what degree MedPrep reflected medical school curriculums (did it help with transition), the class size and environment, the level of guidance received and timeline of growth/concurrent years, the time and topics for the thesis, and other questions that were about the program. I could try to relay some of the answers if you have questions and it was discussed.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, the meet and greet was in the format of applicants asking questions to some of the MedPrep students and Dr.Glass (some were in medical school and some have just finished up the program).

The questions asked were mainly on how classes would go Fall and Spring semesters, how was the relationship between staff and students, to what degree MedPrep reflected medical school curriculums (did it help with transition), the class size and environment, the level of guidance received and timeline of growth/concurrent years, the time and topics for the thesis, and other questions that were about the program. I could try to relay some of the answers if you have questions and it was discussed.
Would love answers on the class size and how many students go straight to the medical school

Would love answers on the class size and how many students go straight to the medical school
Yes njenna, I agree that emailing them would be good. Dr. Glass was told that there was another meet and greet at 12 that he wasn't aware of so he knows that there must have been an error. Some information that I found helpful was that during the fall semester we have classes pretty much the whole week but during the spring semester we have Tuesdays and Thursdays off. There is a lab class on Friday mornings at 8am (can't be changed this year) I believe. For the MCAT, they are trying to create a more formal way to help, hopefully for this year. For the thesis, we could write about any topic we like, but they would prefer some biomedical component to it (mostly opened to many topics). Some of the professors teaching MS Medtech courses will also be our professors for Upstate medical school if we choose to attend the school. There are also similar programs and guides (such as the biochem. pathways chart or something) that is used in Upstate's courses. The classes have a higher rigor to them that many of the students found helpful in not feeling too overwhelmed, especially during their MS1 (of course it's different structure in that MedPrep attendance is mandatory whereas in medical school the lectures are live/recorded so it is optional). Overall, the class environment is small so it is easier to receive guidance from faculty. When you're finished with the program, the faculty continues to support with things such as writing recommendations as well as application help. Those are what I can think of from the top of my head.

Mistertwister, last year's class size was a little bigger than they had hoped I believe. So this year they would like a smaller class of 15 (but if they have to accept 16 is okay) students. There was like a split, but I remembered a lot more students were on the growth pathway. So the students that graduated are currently doing research with Upstate faculty or some other medically related activity while applying. I think that 2-3 students finished their MS1 but I don't recall if they were growth or concurrent. There were like 2 students that I can remember who decided to enroll at a different medical school. Others who stayed remained connected with their professors/advisors for any needed guidance. It appears that there isn't a set number of this many has to be concurrent or this many has to be growth pathway. But you probably already know, 100% of their students that apply to medical school get in either way.

It was long but I hope this helps.

• Care
Did anyone happen to ask when decisions will be sent out after interviews?

Waiting is the hardest part :cryi:, good luck everyone!

My application status has changed to "Ready for Committee"

Just received a call as well!

Haha I didn't answer my calls because I saw no ID but received the voicemail!

Congratulations everyone!!! See you soon!