**Southern Illinois University** MEDPREP! Anybody been through or know about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Braveheart

give me results
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any information...i already looked on the aamc website. I got all the information from there however i wan to know if anybody been through their program or know someone that been through their program. Whats their success rate towards med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Braveheart said:
Any information...i already looked on the aamc website. I got all the information from there however i wan to know if anybody been through their program or know someone that been through their program. Whats their success rate towards med school?

Hey don't anyone in he program. But its highly recommended at my school. However their deadline has already passed Suppossedly the studens who go there a. do ver well on MCATs
b) get into medical school.

Let me know if you see something else.

linevasel said:
Hey don't anyone in he program. But its highly recommended at my school. However their deadline has already passed Suppossedly the studens who go there a. do ver well on MCATs
b) get into medical school.

Let me know if you see something else.

Do u think they have any linkage agreement with any medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am also looking into MEDPREP - Anyone else have more information on this prtogram? Thank you very much

Braveheart said:

sgulati said:
MEDPREP is for URMs and as long as you meet the (minimal) requirements of the program they accept you to SIUMED. No linkages with other med schools however. If anyone has a specific question PM me and I can find out for you from my dad who's a doc in Carbondale affiliated with the university and knows more about it.

CORRECTION: MEDPREP is primarily but not ONLY for URMs.
Also the minimum requirements are for SIU not only MEDPREP.

SIU is also a undergraduate program not graduate. Therefore, u might have to pay out of pocket for the rest or get private loans.

Braveheart said:
SIU is also a undergraduate program not graduate. Therefore, u might have to pay out of pocket for the rest or get private loans.

CORRECTION: Although the program is undergraduate you are considered
graduate for financial aid purposes so you are eligible for Stafford loans.

Please people stop giving out misinformation.

Thanks!

LoveDoc said:
CORRECTION: Although the program is undergraduate you are considered
graduate for financial aid purposes so you are eligible for Stafford loans.

Please people stop giving out misinformation.

Thanks!

sorry, i looked at the website again and lovedoc is correct. ;)

Spelmangyrl just cleared lots of confusion...she would be a valid source because she is in the program.

AAMC website

LoveDoc,

I called the folks at SIU last week and posed this very question: for purposes of financial aid, is this program classified as an undergrad or grad program? I was told that the program is considered to be a "pre-professional" undergrad program and as such students are classified as undergrads.

I know that people possessing degrees already are still eligible for Stafford Loans. You can keep borrowing until the max amount is reached; I think it's $23K for dependent folks and $46K for independent folks.

Was I misinformed? What's the source for your info? Just looking for some clarification.

I am currently enrolled in MEDPREP and I see a lot of incorrect things being posted here. They have a 98% rate of getting students into medical school. Currently 34 out of 36 students in the second year class have been accepted into multiple med schools. The minimum requirements for entering SIU are a 7 on Verbal and 6 on Bio. If you have any other questions please PM me b/c I don't have the time to explain it all right now. If I don't respond back within a week, feel free to email me at [email protected]

jeepgirl said:
LoveDoc,

I called the folks at SIU last week and posed this very question: for purposes of financial aid, is this program classified as an undergrad or grad program? I was told that the program is considered to be a "pre-professional" undergrad program and as such students are classified as undergrads.

I know that people possessing degrees already are still eligible for Stafford Loans. You can keep borrowing until the max amount is reached; I think it's $23K for dependent folks and $46K for independent folks.

Was I misinformed? What's the source for your info? Just looking for some clarification.

As stated before....undergrad for academic purposes....graduate for
financial aid purposes. i am a MEDPREP alum so i will pass you
on to Spelmangyrl since she's currently in it. i'm not sure what the max
is since i never reached it.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the program in MEDPREP and was accepted to medical school in 1998. It was a great program and a wonderful experience. I am now a Family Medicine resident at Mayo Clinic. It is definitely a program worthwhile filled with great people. I would be happy to speak to anyone about it. If interested please email me at [email protected] :)

LoveDoc said:
financial aid purposes. i just completed the program so i will pass you

thanks.

LoveDoc,
Thanks for the info :). PM sent your way.

happy to see all the MEDPREPer's representing! ;) :love:

Hi LoveDoc,

Do you mind sharing with us what med school you are attending? - Also Do you feel that MEDPREP prepared you well for the MCAT and med school. Any other information that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thansk

LoveDoc said:
financial aid purposes. i am a MEDPREP alum so i will pass you

thanks.

elsa said:
Hi LoveDoc,

Do you mind sharing with us what med school you are attending? - Also Do you feel that MEDPREP prepared you well for the MCAT and med school. Any other information that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thansk

hi elsa,

I will reply in PM. thanks.

Hey Lovedoc, I PM.

i'm in the medprep program as well. feel free to pm me with questions :thumbup:

square

bump

Braveheart said:

Well, looks like someone resurrected this thread from the dead. I'm glad, though. It sounds like it's not necessarily the right program for career changers who need all the pre-reqs. Anyone want to chime in?

So is medprep a program to prepare u to apply to med schools? Or is it a postbacc/smp style program where u take science classes or med classes? Does it have any linkage with a med school? How long is the program?

Unless I'm far out in left field, SIUC does not have any linkage programs. As far as the type of person that their MEDPREP program is geared towards, I think it's more for people who need to strengthen their application for Med School, not start from scratch.

Anyone else with more information? - Thanks

Mr. Adventure said:
Well, looks like someone resurrected this thread from the dead. I'm glad, though. It sounds like it's not necessarily the right program for career changers who need all the pre-reqs. Anyone want to chime in?

Mr. Adventure said:
Unless I'm far out in left field, SIUC does not have any linkage programs. As far as the type of person that their MEDPREP program is geared towards, I think it's more for people who need to strengthen their application for Med School, not start from scratch.

Strengthen their app by retaking prereqs or by taking other upper division/ med school style courses?

NRAI2001 said:
Strengthen their app by retaking prereqs or by taking other upper division/ med school style courses?

for underprivlaged applicants i believe only

playthatfunky said:
for underprivlaged applicants i believe only

Does anyone have a link to their website?

NRAI2001 said:

Email Vera Felts at [email protected]. She's real helpful and will answer any questions you have in detail. The gist of what she told me was that the core of the MEDPREP program was centered around MCAT prep and little else. I'm sure that the courses you take for the MCAT are part of the pre-reqs to get you into school, but not all of them are represented in this program. Also, MEDPREP is for educationally and economically disadvantaged students, but the faculty's definition of each term is quite broad. Hope that helps.

Mr. Adventure said:
Email Vera Felts at [email protected]. She's real helpful and will answer any questions you have in detail. The gist of what she told me was that the core of the MEDPREP program was centered around MCAT prep and little else. I'm sure that the courses you take for the MCAT are part of the pre-reqs to get you into school, but not all of them are represented in this program. Also, MEDPREP is for educationally and economically disadvantaged students, but the faculty's definition of each term is quite broad. Hope that helps.

I dont think i would fit into any category of disadvantaged. I guess the only way i could claim to be disadvantaged would be that my parents did not go to school in the US, but that would be a stretch and i dont want to lie. But ill email her to find out more, thanks. :thumbup:

I can't believe this thread is still around. :p
3 yrs later (from this post) and I'm applying for residency.

MEDPREP is awesome!

Did anyone apply this cycle?

I am thinking of applying for the next cycle...did you apply? any thoughts on the program? do you know if you can start as a second year if you meet the mcat requirements for SIU? Thanks and good luck!

bump for any thoughts on this program: pros/cons/etc...:):thumbup:

I am also applying to MEDPREP...... so any information about the program will be greatly Appreciated :D

I am also applying to MEDPREP...... so any information about the program will be greatly Appreciated :D

Hey Everyone,

I am a current second year student in the MEDPREP program so if you have any questions just let me know, but to answer one of the questions I did see. You will not start as a second year once you finish this program. You will begin as a first year, but with A LOT more knowledge of what you will encounter during your 4 years of medical school.

Hey Everyone,

I am a current second year student in the MEDPREP program so if you have any questions just let me know, but to answer one of the questions I did see. You will not start as a second year once you finish this program. You will begin as a first year, but with A LOT more knowledge of what you will encounter during your 4 years of medical school.

i was wondering stephi1684 if you took the program to strengthen your MCAT score or GPA, or both. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I'm looking at this program because i 've gotten advice from a doctor that's on an admissions board(texas medical school) it's good at getting your gpa higher, among other things to be more compeptitive for medical school admissions. any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks

I put an app in too....hope I get good news soon...good luck to you all! Who knows...we might meet soon! Cold weather I hear...I'll have to adjust....No flip flops year round anymore!

yupp.... i just sent my application off also.... and it will be hard for me to adjust to the weather! oh well its gonna be something i have to do

Does anyone have a link to this program? This thread started in 05. Have there been any additions to the requirements since then?

The AAMC website has the new link to the program on the postbac website..

Accepted. was not on alternate list... cylce 2

Is there any facebook groups besides "MEDPREP experience" I am trying to get to know some people before I arrive....I 've psoted some threads there already!!!! Housing questions, etc...

Summer 09 entry group.... join facebook MEDPREP group so we can get to meet one another!!!Can't wait to meet yall!!! I've started a Post!!!