So, I left medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know quite what your game is, but I'm going to try and figure it out anyway... Seems you're unhappy with your life, likely a white male... Seriously conservative... Talking **** on the internet... This can mean only one thing...

gives the rest of conservatives a bad name. When my car broke down on my way to Phoenix, I was like "darn should have taken it to the mechanic last weekend" but some conservatives/Republicans with a strong indoctrination would have been saying "Obama's fault". Makes me shake my head.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
gives the rest of conservatives a bad name. When my car broke down on my way to Phoenix, I was like "darn should have taken it to the mechanic last weekend" but some conservatives/Republican with a strong indoctrination would have been saying "Obama's fault". Makes me shake my head.
There's nothing wrong with conservatives, it's just part of the picture. It's kind of like how working the night shift and being a woman over 35 doesn't mean you have breast cancer, but if you work the nights shift and you're a woman over 35, you will be more likely to have breast cancer. Now this guy was clearly suffering from some form of internet-induced, anal-related malady, but without all the pieces, I couldn't determine whether it was butthurt, analrage, or any of the other common afflictions plaguing internet communities nowadays. But once you know he's white, male, conservative, has it out for feminists, thinks women aren't equal candidates for med school admissions, and is talking **** on the internet? Well, that can only be one thing:
BUTTHURT.gif

Terminal butthurt.

Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck with the residency, but it hardly guarantees success. I am only even replying to this in case someone (foolishly) thinks that pharmacy is a field with a great outlook and lots of jobs. It is easy to find reality on even the first page on the pharm forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...th-residency-experience-solid-network.914320/

I should also note that my aunt is a pharmd who is a director of a homecare agencies pharmacy and will not let her son go into it. Plus clinical pharmacy is hardly the bastion of happiness(quite the opposite from what I see). Pharmacy is over-saturated just like nursing, and the workload is only growing. Maybe it was a good deal 15 years ago. But the schools were opened based on the same nonsense that nursing expanded on (so many baby boomers, screwing other generations since 1946), and with no regulator like the AMA, you guys are in trouble. Of course some will succeed, but who wants to work that hard to fight like a unskilled laborer over a bad job in some area you probably don't want to be.

But I don't think we will see eye to eye on this, yet. Good luck.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to try to justify your negativity towards an entire profession based on n=2 but it honestly doesn't matter to me at all. I love pharmacy, both clinical and community, and those that expect to make a six-figure salary doing hardly any work are going to get weeded out and I'm glad that is the case. I've seen so many terrible pharmacists that it's not even funny. People who go into pharmacy with misguided views of easy money should have difficulty finding positions in my opinion. Good luck on whatever you're doing too bud, I doubt we'll ever be seeing this eye to eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry that you feel the need to try to justify your negativity towards an entire profession based on n=2 but it honestly doesn't matter to me at all. I love pharmacy, both clinical and community, and those that expect to make a six-figure salary doing hardly any work are going to get weeded out and I'm glad that is the case. I've seen so many terrible pharmacists that it's not even funny. People who go into pharmacy with misguided views of easy money should have difficulty finding positions in my opinion. Good luck on whatever you're doing too bud, I doubt we'll ever be seeing this eye to eye.

My dad is a pharmacist, most of the time he loves his job but he's working like 60 hours a week so I can see why he would sometimes come home a little cranky. A lot of family friends that are physicians call him for advice and he has helped them greatly.

Man, the arrogance in your stance is appalling. As is your ability to count, n=2? Seriously did you even read that thread? And calling pharmacists 'terrible' who are overworked and burned out from a career that isn't anything like what their school told them it would be is disingenuous, and a douche move.

There is a difference between being lazy, and just being unable to find work cause of a surplus of workers. When it happens to you, maybe you will lose your naive position, and gain some empathy for your fellow pharmacists. I am sure you will still have your stance about weeding out when your on the other side competing against 60+ pharmacist for a crummy position that will be laid off at the earliest convenience while your massive loans grow at a near exponential rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Goodluck with the residency, but it hardly guarantees success. I am only even replying to this in case someone (foolishly) thinks that pharmacy is a field with a great outlook and lots of jobs. It is easy to find reality on even the first page on the pharm forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...th-residency-experience-solid-network.914320/

I should also note that my aunt is a pharmd who is a director of a homecare agencies pharmacy and will not let her son go into it. Plus clinical pharmacy is hardly the bastion of happiness(quite the opposite from what I see). Pharmacy is over-saturated just like nursing, and the workload is only growing. Maybe it was a good deal 15 years ago. But the schools were opened based on the same nonsense that nursing expanded on (so many baby boomers, screwing other generations since 1946), and with no regulator like the AMA, you guys are in trouble. Of course some will succeed, but who wants to work that hard to fight like a unskilled laborer over a bad job in some area you probably don't want to be.

But I don't think we will see eye to eye on this, yet. Good luck.

There are physicians who tell people that shadow them to not practice medicine, then go ahead and convince their kids that this is the only right thing to do. I have shadowed a physician who has a kid that has been close with me for a while, so I hear the complaints. On the other hand, what kind of pharmacist would convince their kid to pursue pharmacy? SDN pharmacy might be a little bit full of crazies that seem like d*cks, but their doom and gloom points are actually backed by evidence, which makes them the WORST kind of d*cks - the ones that you wanna strangle but can't because they're right. As long as the AMA doesn't sell out and continues to "protect" their profession with regulating the supply of physicians, this will continue to be a stable job provided you pass all the insane barriers including residency andd after debt has been paid off starting from your 40's.

Reactions: 4 users
Man, the arrogance in your stance is appalling. As is your ability to count, n=2? Seriously did you even read that thread? And calling pharmacists who are overworked and burned out from a career that isn't anything like what their school told them it would be is disingenuous, and a douche move.

There is a difference between being lazy, and just being unable to find work cause of a surplus of workers. When it happens to you, maybe you will lose your naive position, and gain some empathy for your fellow pharmacists. I am sure you will still have your stance about weeding out when your on the other side competing against 60+ pharmacist for a crummy position that will be laid off at the earliest convenience while your massive loans grow at a near exponential rate.

Haha you're a total joke dude! Seriously good luck in the future, I'm sure all of that rage will benefit you in interviews. :laugh:

At first, I almost responded "AMEN" to this, but then I realized that this sort of rationalization is important not to jump into because it can result in over-prescription of sleeping medications. I took Ambien unnecessarily for years, prescribed to me by my current primary care physician, who is one of the best doctors I've ever had.

Didn't mean to derail your thread. As for your post, I guess life just happens before our eyes. If there is an urge to go back to medicine, I think a good osteopathic medical school would welcome you back. Otherwise, hope you find a path that's a perfect fit for you and of course an added positive would be to find a life partner who is financially stable as a doctor or CEO or super engineer. =]

Didn't mean to derail your thread. As for your post, I guess life just happens before our eyes. If there is an urge to go back to medicine, I think a good osteopathic medical school would welcome you back. Otherwise, hope you find a path that's a perfect fit for you and of course an added positive would be to find a life partner who is financially stable as a doctor or CEO or super engineer. =]

Wow lol. Yo think her only chance now is to bag a rich guy? Why do people still think like that

Reactions: 1 user
Wow lol. Yo think her only chance now is to bag a rich guy? Why do people still think like that
I know many nurses who have found happiness through this route. And not just marrying doctors either. Not having to earn money while living comfortably is definitely low stress. Even tho many of those nurses still work, its on their terms. PRN, 2 days a week, must get out early every shift. I have seen repeatedly that when you no longer need the money, work does indeed seem to become better, no matter what the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I'm bored at work and reading a random thread. A lot of big personalities in this crazy derailed thread. First of all: Good job OP. I hope you find what works best for you.

The thing that got me motivated to make a response is some folks saying that it's absurd that RNs start off making more than residents. Here's the thing about that. The RN can go somewhere tomorrow and get a job if he/she does not feel fairly compensated. The resident will take a beating and say "Please sir, I'd like some more." The resident just isn't going anywhere. Also, on average, it costs a hospital about $100,000 to fully train a new-hire RN. You don't want them to leave.

If someone wants to post some all-knowing genius response about how I'm wrong just please keep in mind that my background knowledge of hospital admin says otherwise and that I probably won't check this site for several months anyway so do what you want :>)

It's not the only way, but take a wild guess which continent my parents are from. I'll give you a hint, our continent is over-represented in the medical professions. Being the only girl with three brothers, there is added pressure to marry rich. Of course being raised in this country, I know that way is not the only way to be happy and financially set, but this weird idea is kinda beaten into females from family since day one.

It's not the only way, but take a wild guess which continent my parents are from. I'll give you a hint, our continent is over-represented in the medical professions. Being the only girl with three brothers, there is added pressure to marry rich. Of course being raised in this country, I know that way is not the only way to be happy and financially set, but this weird idea is kinda beaten into females from family since day one.

As someone whose parents came from the "land of chopsticks and naan," the above post is true. Kind of drives some of us crazy too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I'm bored at work and reading a random thread. A lot of big personalities in this crazy derailed thread. First of all: Good job OP. I hope you find what works best for you.

The thing that got me motivated to make a response is some folks saying that it's absurd that RNs start off making more than residents. Here's the thing about that. The RN can go somewhere tomorrow and get a job if he/she does not feel fairly compensated. The resident will take a beating and say "Please sir, I'd like some more." The resident just isn't going anywhere. Also, on average, it costs a hospital about $100,000 to fully train a new-hire RN. You don't want them to leave.

If someone wants to post some all-knowing genius response about how I'm wrong just please keep in mind that my background knowledge of hospital admin says otherwise and that I probably won't check this site for several months anyway so do what you want :>)

So a hospital admin told you it cost 100k to train a nurse and you think that is a reliable source? Do you goto Madoff for investment advice also? Please come into healthcare we need more of you! Especially in administration!

That 100k is a baldfaced lie. Even for an ICU nurse, it is maybe half that much at most in a crazy high wage state like NY or Cali. I will break it down for you tho with Fl numbers (cause they make the same claim here about 100k) for the most expensive nurse to train in ICU, a GN (Graduate Nurse) :

42k for a GN, 60k for experience preceptor divided by 2 since its only 6 months of precepting for ICU at most before your on your own. That equals 51k. Now remember that during this time the nurses will be doing at least 1 nurses worth of work, and at the end they are really doing 1.5 nurses work. So call it half by rounding up, since you paid 2 nurses to do 1 nurses job. Using that (actual numbers) 25.5k is the max expenditure/loss on training. Number might go higher if you are in a state like Cali, but no where near 100k. Furthermore, almost all hospital make the GN's sign contracts for usually at least 2 years (the going rate at my hospital is a 14.5k buyout that starts prorating after the 2nd year starts). Leaving is not a realistic option for a new grad with lots of debt already with a huge buyout (for their wage) on the table.

That 100k number is BS the hospital wants GN's to believe, so that the buyouts that they put on the contracts they make them sign seem more reasonable.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

Edit: I left out benefits, overhead, and classroom training costs: I put it at closer to 42k now. Still don't believe in the 100k.

Last edited:

I am from the same continent as you are and yea the idea is beaten down from generations among females. But I thought growing up in 21st century and being educated would change thinking but I guess not

Wow. I'm bored at work and reading a random thread. A lot of big personalities in this crazy derailed thread. First of all: $100,000 to fully train a new-hire RN. You don't want them to leave.
Just curious why does it cost that much? How much does it cost for new-hire MD?

#brownpeopleproblems

I get it

I am from the same continent as you are and yea the idea is beaten down from generations among females. But I thought growing up in 21st century and being educated would change thinking but I guess not

Know how many times my parents friends used to be like "why are you dating a med student, we know so many great doctors who are already done with school, we can set you up"

Ridic. I don't need to marry rich. Wtf

Know how many times my parents friends used to be like "why are you dating a med student, we know so many great doctors who are already done with school, we can set you up"

Ridic. I don't need to marry rich. Wtf

Disagree. You have refined tastes. This requires monies.

You actually dun goofed.

A lot. Between the posting, recruitment and sign on bonus. Plus you generally have a salary guarantee the first two to three years until you're productive enough to pay for yourself. Easily 200 to 300k over three years.

OP Wow! What a touching topic for premeds and medical students. I can relate with you on the regret of not getting to say goodbye to your grandmother because you had other obligations to study for medical school. I am glad that you were brave enough to speak on this topic because it is real and a lot of the time people are embarrassed to even bring it up. I know a lot of my friends try to put on a brave face but I know the stress gets to them because it gets to me. Having a good family support system is key during tough times such as what you spoke upon. OP I wish you well in your future endeavors!

Interesting figures. You're leaving out how much you're paying the nurses in overtime to cover while they look for a replacement that they then have to train again. It's not like hiring someone to work at a gas station. There's a lot spent on things education verification, background checks, etc. Most importantly, all of this takes time. Sometimes it's like an act of congress to get administrators to admit someone even needs hired to fill the slot. Then when it finally comes time to hire someone you have to take time away from things that you're already too busy to do in the first place to conduct interviews. After weeks of this (sometimes longer depending on applicant pool and the demands of the position) you finally have a the slot filled, right? WRONG! If that nurse has another job, he/she usually signed a contract with them stating that he/she would work out a 6 week notice. While the unit/floor/ED/whatever is covering this staffing, not only is the hospital losing money, but the staff morale is tanking causing more to look elsewhere for employment and thus repeating the cycle. Also, please keep in mind even though the salary numbers you cited are more or less accurate you need to consider things like health insurance and vacation time the hospital is paying, too. Furthermore, a nurse that is training a new nurse isn't as productive as 1.5 nurses. Usually that productivity is more like 0.75 or lower depending on the trainee's prior experience. Also, if the new nurse is making mistakes and wasting supplies, that runs up costs too.

I'll give it to you that not all of what I've said should be under the umbrella of "training" but rather "replacing" a nurse.

I see that you've been accepted. All the best to you.

See above.

As far as new-hire MD/DO, I don't have the background to begin to comment. My original post was moreso about explaining that nurses have the option to leave while residents pretty much don't. They can complain about pay/hours/anything. They're still coming in the next day, even if they were there all night on call.

Interesting figures. You're leaving out how much you're paying the nurses in overtime to cover while they look for a replacement that they then have to train again. It's not like hiring someone to work at a gas station. There's a lot spent on things education verification, background checks, etc. Most importantly, all of this takes time. Sometimes it's like an act of congress to get administrators to admit someone even needs hired to fill the slot. Then when it finally comes time to hire someone you have to take time away from things that you're already too busy to do in the first place to conduct interviews. After weeks of this (sometimes longer depending on applicant pool and the demands of the position) you finally have a the slot filled, right? WRONG! If that nurse has another job, he/she usually signed a contract with them stating that he/she would work out a 6 week notice. While the unit/floor/ED/whatever is covering this staffing, not only is the hospital losing money, but the staff morale is tanking causing more to look elsewhere for employment and thus repeating the cycle. Also, please keep in mind even though the salary numbers you cited are more or less accurate you need to consider things like health insurance and vacation time the hospital is paying, too. Furthermore, a nurse that is training a new nurse isn't as productive as 1.5 nurses. Usually that productivity is more like 0.75 or lower depending on the trainee's prior experience. Also, if the new nurse is making mistakes and wasting supplies, that runs up costs too.

I'll give it to you that not all of what I've said should be under the umbrella of "training" but rather "replacing" a nurse.

I see that you've been accepted. All the best to you.

See above.

As far as new-hire MD/DO, I don't have the background to begin to comment. My original post was moreso about explaining that nurses have the option to leave while residents pretty much don't. They can complain about pay/hours/anything. They're still coming in the next day, even if they were there all night on call.

You are working at a bad place if morale tanks over the loss of a single nurse. Sure there are background checks and HR personal, but there would be HR folks either way and background checks cost what $100, tops? Overtime to cover a lost person doesnt happen in a smart unit, they just simply use per diems more (which is exactly what my unit is doing now when 2 of our nurses leave).

Morale on the floor is worse in general, but not that bad if the hospital is decent. It is a cycle to replace nurses, so I could see how having constant turnover every year or so (like a unit I used to work on) could be very costly, but not 100k per.

When I talk about productivity being 1.5 nurse days at the end of preceptorship, I am refering to the GN taking two patients (in an ICU where 2 is considered a full load) and the preceptor having 1 and being available to assist (this is very commonplace, and is what has happened at every unit I ever worked on). I would say the overall average is probably close to 1 nurse day worked for both nurses combined over the course of the training. 0.75 is too low.

I would also like to apologize for being snarky earlier with my reply to you. Your response was more than fair IMO, even tho I still think 100k is more than double the cost at most places everything included.

Nursing turnover is a real problem and we do move much more often than physicians, and are usually not previously trained when hired to the floor. I would imagine a board certified physician represents a greater cost but a much lower risk, and better payoff than a nurse.

Its funny, there is no shortage of nurses, but there is a shortage of experienced nurses who want to work the bad units like the floor (med surg, tele, pcu, and even some ICU/intermediate care units). I know I have enjoyed my time in Rapid In and Out much more than I did working on a medsurg.

Last edited:
Mind blown. She's the ultimate gunner - this was a troll vid/thread to encourage other people to quit medical school!!!

At my school, gunners straight up are not tolerated- administration selects against them from the beginning, and any gunnerish behavior is both shunned by other students and by administration. It's basically a zero tolerance policy for dickish behavior from the top down.

How does this work? Is it in the student code of conduct? "Don't be a gunner?" How can this even be enforced?

A lot. Between the posting, recruitment and sign on bonus. Plus you generally have a salary guarantee the first two to three years until you're productive enough to pay for yourself. Easily 200 to 300k over three years.

You must have been in practice for a while, because two and three year guarantee salaries are a thing of the past (unless you are a J1 -the government requires a guarantee salary for the complete contract). Most employers will guarantee a first year, and then switch you to a productivity model - usually RVU based)

You must have been in practice for a while, because two and three year guarantee salaries are a thing of the past (unless you are a J1 -the government requires a guarantee salary for the complete contract). Most employers will guarantee a first year, and then switch you to a productivity model - usually RVU based)

Nope. Still pretty standard.

What's your plan? Teaching would probably be your best bet. Maybe PA School?

What's your plan? Teaching would probably be your best bet. Maybe PA School?
I've only been out of school for about two weeks now, so things are still up in the air. I had an opportunity to go right into a Masters program in immunology/infectious disease but that felt intuitively incorrect as well... I am taking time now to explore options totally outside of medicine, including teaching and public health... Will definitely pursue a different degree in the next year or so, but my mind is open :)

Sweet deal! Best of luck. I know with loan repayment, working for the public schools is a good deal. My parents are both teachers. Having summers off is pretty awesome too, I definitely think I saw more of my parents growing up than most people do. Also, my dad was a lawyer before he became a teacher, and all of his loans were repayed after he worked like 10 years for the county that he is in.
I've only been out of school for about two weeks now, so things are still up in the air. I had an opportunity to go right into a Masters program in immunology/infectious disease but that felt intuitively incorrect as well... I am taking time now to explore options totally outside of medicine, including teaching and public health... Will definitely pursue a different degree in the next year or so, but my mind is open :)

@QiasTheKid Nice! A few close friends of mine have told me to look into teaching as well... it's a great field :):)

OP, I went through a lot of the experiences you went through, and even with a good knowledge of what was to come, I experienced and continue to experience the things that you experienced. I can say that if it were not for the support of my wife or friends in med school, I would have not made it. Seeing close family members die and knowing that you can't even be there for them or your family physically or mentally, because it'll make what you have to do so much harder, is so very painful and draining. I can't imagine going through it alone.

I hope that this decision is what's best for you in the long run, and I believe it is at least what's best for you right now, because your stability and health is more important than med school. I hope that you find that perfect thing for you, and I hope that this experience is something that gives you strength rather than something you only regret. I wish you the best of luck.

I am in exactly the same position but I am still trying to push through

Hey man, only 2 months left then supposedly it gets a little less sucky. Do some shadowing or something in the field you're interested in. It reminds you of what to look forward to, and is actually more fun now that you have some real knowledge. It motivated me a bit this semester.

And yet I went to a top allo school and had none of the same complaints.

I don't think these things are that generalizable to DO vs MD or upper vs lower tier

I think it's more school-specific than anything else.

An MD school I was really looking at seemed to have a really great collaborative feel and major community focus aspects built into the curriculum. The DO school I'm at now is probably in between, really collaborative sense when it comes to the students (for the most part, some people are dicks), but the curriculum/administration doesn't really foster that environment (it doesn't kill it, but it doesn't really promote its growth).

That was brave of you. Thanks for posting that OP.

That said, there is no way on this planet I could have done dental school five years ago, or even now. I don't know how non trad people do it, my energy levels are so different now than they were when I started out of college, and I would 100% be unsuccessful if I tried starting now. So. You guys are way smarter and stronger than I am. :D

Yeah... getting older is rough.. I actually need sleep now. Sometimes it makes me wish I was as young as some of the kids in my school.

Hey @Mad Jack and @Donald Juan what signs should 1 look for as clues to the culture of a medical school in terms of competetiveness/gunner? What kind of questions should 1 ask and what sign should 1 look for?

This is more about personal fit. People are different. See if you like the atmosphere or not.

Last edited:
You are working at a bad place if morale tanks over the loss of a single nurse. Sure there are background checks and HR personal, but there would be HR folks either way and background checks cost what $100, tops? Overtime to cover a lost person doesnt happen in a smart unit, they just simply use per diems more (which is exactly what my unit is doing now when 2 of our nurses leave).

Morale on the floor is worse in general, but not that bad if the hospital is decent. It is a cycle to replace nurses, so I could see how having constant turnover every year or so (like a unit I used to work on) could be very costly, but not 100k per.

When I talk about productivity being 1.5 nurse days at the end of preceptorship, I am refering to the GN taking two patients (in an ICU where 2 is considered a full load) and the preceptor having 1 and being available to assist (this is very commonplace, and is what has happened at every unit I ever worked on). I would say the overall average is probably close to 1 nurse day worked for both nurses combined over the course of the training. 0.75 is too low.

I would also like to apologize for being snarky earlier with my reply to you. Your response was more than fair IMO, even tho I still think 100k is more than double the cost at most places everything included.

Nursing turnover is a real problem and we do move much more often than physicians, and are usually not previously trained when hired to the floor. I would imagine a board certified physician represents a greater cost but a much lower risk, and better payoff than a nurse.

Its funny, there is no shortage of nurses, but there is a shortage of experienced nurses who want to work the bad units like the floor (med surg, tele, pcu, and even some ICU/intermediate care units). I know I have enjoyed my time in Rapid In and Out much more than I did working on a medsurg.

Thanks and apology accepted. We may just have to agree to disagree on the money, but I think we can both agree that any hospital is going to abuse someone when that person has no choice but to keep taking it and that's exactly what they get to do with a resident.

My main motivation for even commenting at all (bc I'm really just sort of a lurker) is that this is a primarily pre-med forum and it just gets under my skin that some people (not saying you, per se, just the overall tone from multiple posters) are so disrespective of other professions before even starting school. At the end of the day, everyone is on the same team so it just seems so crazy that so much energy is expended putting others down.

Future docs: Please treat future coworkers with respect. You're only making it harder on everybody by not.

I had no idea that this post/video would have such an impact... I promise that I am actually reading everyone's PM's. I will respond to each of them ASAP.

PS - I've gotten some INTERESTING/(WEIRD) questions. I like them. Keep asking :banana:

wtf is this side conversation about cost of training a nurse? Lmao

I'm mildly amused at the number of times OP has said something to the effect of "OMG this website is not what I expected, THIS IS MY LAST POST."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm mildly amused at the number of times OP has said something to the effect of "OMG this website is not what I expected, THIS IS MY LAST POST."
Well she does keep getting PMs from people...

Future docs: Please treat future coworkers with respect. You're only making it harder on everybody by not.

Nurses do exactly the same thing - I'm not really sure why you're calling out physicians specifically. I'm in the ED now, and the amount of **** talking done by nurses to all members of the staff other than nurses is off the charts.

This isn't a problem unique to physicians. Bad people are bad people regardless of professional position.

Reactions: 11 users

I told myself countless times this was gonna be my last post, last time on SDN. I give up quitting

So a hospital admin told you it cost 100k to train a nurse and you think that is a reliable source? Do you goto Madoff for investment advice also? Please come into healthcare we need more of you! Especially in administration!

That 100k is a baldfaced lie. Even for an ICU nurse, it is maybe half that much at most in a crazy high wage state like NY or Cali. I will break it down for you tho with Fl numbers (cause they make the same claim here about 100k) for the most expensive nurse to train in ICU, a GN (Graduate Nurse) :

42k for a GN, 60k for experience preceptor divided by 2 since its only 6 months of precepting for ICU at most before your on your own. That equals 51k. Now remember that during this time the nurses will be doing at least 1 nurses worth of work, and at the end they are really doing 1.5 nurses work. So call it half by rounding up, since you paid 2 nurses to do 1 nurses job. Using that (actual numbers) 25.5k is the max expenditure/loss on training. Number might go higher if you are in a state like Cali, but no where near 100k. Furthermore, almost all hospital make the GN's sign contracts for usually at least 2 years (the going rate at my hospital is a 14.5k buyout that starts prorating after the 2nd year starts). Leaving is not a realistic option for a new grad with lots of debt already with a huge buyout (for their wage) on the table.

That 100k number is BS the hospital wants GN's to believe, so that the buyouts that they put on the contracts they make them sign seem more reasonable.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif
In the Northeast, 100k is actually a pretty reasonable number. Our precepting nurses generally make roughly 80k and graduate nurses start at 60k. Benefits account for an additional 25% for each of them, so that boost it up to 75k and 100k. Throw in an additional 25k to pay for our recruitment, HR, employee health screenings, employee training center, and divide by two, and you come out with roughly 100k. In Florida and at less overhead-heavy hospitals, it's probably closer to 75k, if you include benefits, recruiting, and administrative and training overhead.

I love when medical students tell attendings that have actually recently fielded job offers post-fellowship what the employment market is like.

Thanks and apology accepted. We may just have to agree to disagree on the money, but I think we can both agree that any hospital is going to abuse someone when that person has no choice but to keep taking it and that's exactly what they get to do with a resident.

My main motivation for even commenting at all (bc I'm really just sort of a lurker) is that this is a primarily pre-med forum and it just gets under my skin that some people (not saying you, per se, just the overall tone from multiple posters) are so disrespective of other professions before even starting school. At the end of the day, everyone is on the same team so it just seems so crazy that so much energy is expended putting others down.

This is a medical school forum for medical students. And if anyone puts other people down, it's nurses. They have graduation speeches at nursing schools about how nps are just as good or better than doctors (wtf?). All you need to do is check out all-nurses.com for 10 minutes and see how they talk crap about literally everyone.

http://allnurses.com/certified-registered-nurse/crna-vs-mda-966280.html
This is a kid who hasn't even started crna school yet and he's babbling about "MDAs" and how crnas are the workhorses while the doctors are slacking. Jesus christ.

How does this work? Is it in the student code of conduct? "Don't be a gunner?" How can this even be enforced?
Staff will take you aside to discuss your behavior ("we like to foster a cooperative environment"). Other students will also actively shun you, which has serious implications, as we work together on things like clinical placement sites, study guides, etc. If you're gunning, and you get cut out of that loop, it can make your life miserable in a lot of ways. I heard what happened to student a couple years ahead of me that ran afoul of the rest of their class that ended up stuck with the worst ratations ever, far away from home and family, largely because no one was willing to trade with them because they'd made enemies of everyone by gunning. Usually such a case would get heard out, and we'd work together to find arrangements to move some things around. But not for a gunner...

In the Northeast, 100k is actually a pretty reasonable number. Our precepting nurses generally make roughly 80k and graduate nurses start at 60k. Benefits account for an additional 25% for each of them, so that boost it up to 75k and 100k. Throw in an additional 25k to pay for our recruitment, HR, employee health screenings, employee training center, and divide by two, and you come out with roughly 100k. In Florida and at less overhead-heavy hospitals, it's probably closer to 75k, if you include benefits, recruiting, and administrative and training overhead.

this. that 100k figure doesn't sound crazy to me either.

even outside the NE it's closer to $100k than one might initially think. the other salary figures posted were really on the low side, they neglected additional employer costs for benefits, there are plenty of other unseen costs that only administrators think about, and I don't know where that 1.5 nurse-productivity number even came from...

anyway...how did this thread get HERE?

Staff will take you aside to discuss your behavior ("we like to foster a cooperative environment"). Other students will also actively shun you, which has serious implications, as we work together on things like clinical placement sites, study guides, etc. If you're gunning, and you get cut out of that loop, it can make your life miserable in a lot of ways. I heard what happened to student a couple years ahead of me that ran afoul of the rest of their class that ended up stuck with the worst ratations ever, far away from home and family, largely because no one was willing to trade with them because they'd made enemies of everyone by gunning. Usually such a case would get heard out, and we'd work together to find arrangements to move some things around. But not for a gunner...

So your school prevents gunning by the non gunners outgunning the gunners?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.